Dallas/Ft Worth Area 3rd Airport

15,476 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FriendlyAg
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a hard time believing American would be on board.
Aggie Spirit
AG
10 minutes from the house. I'd love to see it pass.
The Brazos Kid
Put it in Dodd City (Bonham)
80sGeorge
AG
Love is maxed on daily flights allowed. There's way more population and business growth in the NE metroplex than in the west. I may be wrong but Meacham worked fine but as a commercial airport it was sacrificed to DFW.
fooz
I've been through there many times on our company's jet. The rumors I've heard is it will end up being mostly fedex/ups flights, and few commercial. Sounds like a trap.
DamnGood86
AG
Sounds like it will be akin to Killeen Airport. I live in Burnet County and love to go out of Killeen. No traffic, easy parking, no crowds. The big downside is virtually every flight requires a connection.
smstork1007
AG
Make it a full scale executive airport with all the facilities and hangars needed to conduct that upscale business, the thought of a 4 gate commercial airport is kinda a joke imo. But it's not my bond/tax money funding it so whatever they want I guess.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Four gates.
Sq 17

Passenger departure and arrival pick up look a lot like easterwood
LegalDrugPusher
Gigem_94 said:

If Meachum serving Fort Worth never worked, why would this? Unless the airlines are already on board, I don't see this working out…at least not now. Maybe way down the road. "If you build it, they will come" doesn't work too well for airports.

Meacham was used for commercial back in the 40s 50s in the 60s
LegalDrugPusher
smstork1007 said:

Make it a full scale executive airport with all the facilities and hangars needed to conduct that upscale business, the thought of a 4 gate commercial airport is kinda a joke imo. But it's not my bond/tax money funding it so whatever they want I guess.

A 4 gate airport or close to it is not all that uncommon. Have you ever been to McAllen, Harlingen, Amarillo, Lubbock or San Angelo airports?
ToddyHill
AG
I get it.

When I lived in DFW I was 15 minutes to Terminal 3E (I lived in Bedford).

I now live in the Knoxville area, and I'm 8 minutes from the airport. Ironically, we flew home from Austin (through DFW) yesterday. After we landed, I mentioned to my wife how grateful I was that we didn't live in Knoxville or Sevierville or Gatlinburg.

DFW Airport can be a beotch to so many people in the Metroplex.
Invincible Aggie
smstork1007 said:

Not a bad idea concerning the executive services as the Dallas population continues to expand northward taking into account the area around the Dallas Executive Airport has become an even more hopeless economic region, and Addison Airport is both general aviation focused nearing current capacity and their city as a whole is embracing NIMBYism. A 4 gate commercial, if that's the plan, just seems like a sound long-term vision.
TriAg2010
AG
aggie_wes said:

I get that, but could it replace some routes from DFW? seems odd to offer identical routes from two airports ~40 miles apart, though I guess it wouldn't be unprecedented

You would probably see:

- some point-to-point routes by airlines like Southwest, Spirit, or Frontier to popular leisure and business destinations (Houston, Denver, Chicago Midway, Vegas, Orlando)

- some regional jets on Delta, United, or American to connecting hubs like Atlanta, O'hare, or Los Angeles.

You're not going to see any less service at DFW
bthotugigem05
AG
American will not be on board and I doubt many other mainline carriers will be either. This has Allegiant, Frontier, and Spirit/JetBlue written all over it.

Those voting yes are taking a big risk that it will become another Meacham, which actually got close to fielding more commercial flights recently before COVID hit.
Pinochet
TKI has been pushing this for well over a decade. Every time they get a new airport manager, they think this bright idea is brand new. It's a terrible idea. Commercial air travel has been available out of that airport forever and it has failed every time someone has tried to make one of those little Houston-Dallas-Austin things work there. There's no EAS revenue, so it's even less attractive for airlines. Building another runway and another new terminal isn't going to change anything.
Pinochet
smstork1007 said:

It already has all those things, including US Customs, and just had a remodel of the GA terminal a few years ago.
Houstonag
AG
Where are the charging machines for the new electric airplanes?
C@LAg
Houstonag said:

Where are the charging machines for the new electric airplanes?
they just turn the engines off in flight and glide, charging the batteries from the propellers, like windmills
Carlo4
AG
My parents are voting no. They are in the flight path. If this is approved, they will look to sell immediately, which they don't want to do.

Oddly enough, my first signed and sealed engineering plans were the signal at Airport and Industrial, which is at the entrance.

Decisions…. Decisions….
GAC06
AG
Central Committee said:

I will take a hard pass. Not all commercial development is good. As another poster noted above, this is likely to be used by Amazon/FedEx/UPS. I know FedEx had a big Alliance facility. But imagine the transport savings being able to fly to McKinney.

I sincerely doubt there will be commercial passenger service and if there is, regional jet only.

The airport is already there. Building a passenger terminal has pretty much nothing to do with cargo carriers. They could build a cargo ramp and operate there now if they wanted to.
Ag with kids
AG
LegalDrugPusher said:

smstork1007 said:

A 4 gate airport or close to it is not all that uncommon. Have you ever been to McAllen, Harlingen, Amarillo, Lubbock or San Angelo airports?
I'm in Corpus and we have a whopping FIVE gates!!!
aggiepanic95
AG
LegalDrugPusher said:

aggiepanic95 said:

Terrible idea. Any new airport should be in Sherman.

Lol I'm sure

So smug. Commercial aircraft landing over established neighborhoods will not only bring noise pollution and congestion but transients and crime. It will tank home values in neighboring Fairview and Lucas. It's a terrible idea. But you've got it all figured out.
Retired FBI Agent
LegalDrugPusher said:

fastest growing County in America

According to what source?

As far as population growth, looks like Collin grew (a lot) from 2020-2022: +7.7%, but not the fastest in the country (double digit % growth). Axios has some great maps.

"Texas has five of the top 10 fastest growing counties in the country by percentage and six of the top 10 counties with the largest numeric growth."

https://www.axios.com/2023/04/07/population-change-pandemic

https://www.axios.com/local/dallas/2023/04/11/north-texas-growing-census
https://tips.fbi.gov/
1-800-225-5324
FTAG 2000
AG
Southwest will be one of the airlines coming in, should it pass.
eric76
AG
So how much property are they going to have to take from honest, law abiding Texans using eminent domain?
GAC06
AG
Likely very little or none. The airport is there. Depending on the exact plan perhaps a hangar or two look like they'd have to go but I don't know if those are owned or leased.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
This airport would make a killing just offering direct flights to California.
GAC06
AG
aggiepanic95 said:

LegalDrugPusher said:

aggiepanic95 said:

Terrible idea. Any new airport should be in Sherman.

Lol I'm sure

So smug. Commercial aircraft landing over established neighborhoods will not only bring noise pollution and congestion but transients and crime. It will tank home values in neighboring Fairview and Lucas. It's a terrible idea. But you've got it all figured out.

There's actually very little directly north or south of that airport where planes will be low to the ground.
agAngeldad
Im sure all the noise senitive areas SE of the airport will support it.
TXAggie2011
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

American will not be on board and I doubt many other mainline carriers will be either. This has Allegiant, Frontier, and Spirit/JetBlue written all over it.
I can see Sun Country seeing an opportunity here. Pure leisure airline that's been wanting to grow in the DFW market.
YouBet
AG
We are expected to hit 10M people by 2030. And as someone else mentioned, Love Field is maxed and is barred from growing anymore.

So I get the reasoning here.
Signel
AG
Denton and Collin are exploding in growth. This seems logical. It would be better situated between the two counties to draw far north residents away from love and dfw. I'd prefer never going to Dallas again
maroonthrunthru
Live in McKinney… Boon Effen Doggle…

Get someone else to pay for it…
TX04Aggie
AG
Interesting concept, something will need to happen at some point in DFW area, much like how LA is with Burbank, Ontario, Long Beach being alternatives to LAX and Orange County.

Didnt they try to do that with Ellington in Houston at some point? I could see Houston doing something similar out west, in the Cypress/Katy/Sugar Land corridor on 99.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.