Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

459,050 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bud Light deactivates comments on latest country-themed ad amid Dylan Mulvaney backlash | Fox News
Quote:

Bud Light appears to be fed up with the backlash after the company disabled YouTube comments on a new countrified ad in the wake of ongoing controversy over its partnership with transgender TikTok star Dylan Mulvaney.

Bud Light's newest advertisement shows a young group of friends drinking beer in the rain at a country music festival as "Chicken Fried" by the Zac Brown Band plays in the background.

"Rain or shine, it's always easy to enjoy a Bud Light," the caption of the 30-second YouTube video reads.

The ad first aired on TV during the NFL Draft on Thursday before it was shared on YouTube, amassing 10 million views since its release. Comments on the video were notably deactivated by Bud Light.
ac04
newsletter from a very respected industry consultant

Quote:

Let's take a stroll down memory lane and see what we can learn from past beer brand deaths… and no, I'm not saying Bud Light is dying- even though it is damn sick right now… just what can we learn from history.

When I first started working with beer distributors, I worked with a few of these folks and saw first-hand the challenges that confronted them and more importantly, what drove the demise of what were once big brands.

Old Style once ruled Chicago. Hudepohl the same in Cincinnati. Rainer, Olympia, Stroh, PBR… the list is long. They owned the bars… their signage ruled.

But then it started. It wasn't the result of some grand marketing scheme, it wasn't really driven by anyone, it just started happening. It no longer was "cool" to be seen drinking these products in young, adult bars. In fact, it was decidedly uncool to be seen with one in your hand.

No one told the consumer this… it was basically just a social contagion that silently spread through these bars. You could still go into the corner bar and have one with all the old guys but in the hip and happening places you didn't want to be seen with an Old Style in your hand. Not getting laid that way.

That once powerhouse brand Budweiser once 1 in 4 of every beer consumed was a Bud also went through this exact process. In recent years it kind of made a full circle and became "retro-cool" in some of these bars… following the PBR model.

But for these brands, that was that. These brands went from powerhouse brands that people were once proud to drink, to brands that were mostly value-driven and consumed off-premise or in small and likely dying corner bars and taverns.

ABI and Bud Light face a similar but slightly different situation. These historic brand demises were a natural occurrence as people's tastes and perceptions change. But Bud Light's situation is driven by other forces.

So it's not the young, adult bars that are the canary in the coalmine but of course if Bud Light loses these, it's lights out - but high volume sports and blue collar bars. It seems in many of these bars a Bud Light drinker is likely to be verbally harassed by other patrons.

If this drives a larger social movement where it becomes "un-cool" to drink Bud Light or for that matter any ABI product it will be very bad news for ABI distributors across the land.

And just like Old Style, Hudepohl, and yes even Bud once it starts there is no force that will stop it. No amount of advertising or marketing will change this. It is an organic process driven by no one. It is diffuse and like the tide, no matter what you do it ain't going to change much.

Will this happen? It's already happening… the only question is the degree and whether it sticks. And if it sticks, it will be a self-inflicted brand suicide that has no peer in modern times.

Those old Schlitz execs are looking down from heaven with smiles on their faces as they no longer are the title holders of the biggest screwup in the history of beer. Heck, this might turn out to be the biggest screwup of any consumer product. Real men of genius.

And as ABI is learning, they are now in the game and no matter what they do, someone will be pissed at them. They had better accept this and decide who they'd rather piss off. My vote would be the alphabet people but ABI isn't listening to me.

I've reached out to them to try to help them through this I'm a mercenary remember. But the window is quickly closing on the opportunity to turn this thing around and I don't see they yet even understand the essence of what they did. Thus, my bet is on more mistakes and stupidity.

And I can't decide whether to laugh or cry at their hiring some conservative lobbyists to help them keep conservative Washington politicians on their side. I think the number of beer drinkers whose brand choices are influenced by ANY politician is rather small. But what do I know? Trump Jr's attempt to support Bud Light only served to damage his standing.

This is the first time many almost all? of these folks ever faced challenges like this. This is their turn in the barrel and so far, they certainly aren't rising to the occasion.

And lastly, I have to beat up my friend Harry for his cowardice. No, not his and Benj's dancing around this as to not lose all those ABI subscriptions that is bad enough.

But Dylan Mulvaney is a guy. HE is a male. From the moment that Y chromosome sperm sealed the deal it was set he was a he.

HE is not a SHE. And no amount of facial surgery, boob implants, or even cutting off the old pecker will change this reality.

Over the weekend Dylan said he wished it to become against the law to say what I just did.

But bowing down to our modern day Khmer Rouge just shows a surprising lack of character. Just like ABI is finding, this truly is a war and whether you like it or not, you will be forced to choose sides. No way around it.

And this has nothing to do with being gay or lesbian.

But calling a guy a she in an attempt to placate those who can't be placated is the wrong path to take.

jc
Daddy-O5
AG
ProgN said:

Bud Light deactivates comments on latest country-themed ad amid Dylan Mulvaney backlash | Fox News
Quote:

Bud Light appears to be fed up with the backlash after the company disabled YouTube comments on a new countrified ad in the wake of ongoing controversy over its partnership with transgender TikTok star Dylan Mulvaney.

Bud Light's newest advertisement shows a young group of friends drinking beer in the rain at a country music festival as "Chicken Fried" by the Zac Brown Band plays in the background.

"Rain or shine, it's always easy to enjoy a Bud Light," the caption of the 30-second YouTube video reads.

The ad first aired on TV during the NFL Draft on Thursday before it was shared on YouTube, amassing 10 million views since its release. Comments on the video were notably deactivated by Bud Light.

I saw this when we were watching the draft and started laughing hysterically. My wife thought I'd lost it.
jja79
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I guess it gave the impression that Schlitz was threatening the customer if they tried to switch beers. So people essentially said **** you and switched beers.
We weren't that tender back then. They changed the taste. Saying this ad turned off people in 1976 is absurd to anyone who lived it.
Gigem314
AG
Quote:

But calling a guy a she in an attempt to placate those who can't be placated is the wrong path to take.
aggie93
AG
Just a reminder that Trump and his son tried to call this boycott off because AB gives a few bucks to the RNC. DeSantis said he would never drink a Bud Light again.

Choose your fighter.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

It seems in many of these bars a Bud Light drinker is likely to be verbally harassed by other patrons.
Bud light's attempt to force inclusivity backfires and results in more harassment than before.
f burg ag
AG
I see a lot of Miller Lite, Shiner and Yuengling love on here (all of which I am a fan of)....but no love for Coors Banquet? I tried it a few months ago and really liked it.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Yellow bellies are good stuff
Nanomachines son

Quote:

It seems in many of these bars a Bud Light drinker is likely to be verbally harassed by other patrons.
Bud light's attempt to force inclusivity backfires and results in more harassment than before.

Even that commercial above reeks of DEI. This beer was overwhelmingly consumed by blue collar Mexicans and whites. The people in that commercial are not representative of the group that drank their beer at all.

I have noticed that Mexican yard and construction workers in gas stations have stopped buying bud light. I don't think the InBev executives realize just quite what they have done at all.
aTm2004
AG
Nanomachines son said:

Their new commercial. Yeah absolutely everyone sees through this.

This is the first thing that popped into my mind while watching that.

Tanya 93
Looking at last month's sales, alcohol profits went up 8% while there has been an over 50% drop in Bud Light/Michelob Ultra sales.

Yuengling and the local IPAs are killing it right now.

BTW, Covid fundamentally changed the restaurant industry.

Over 5 digits in Door dash sales alone last month. And about 7-8% of them had margaritas as part of it.

We can give drinks to go as long as the hole for the straw is taped over or the twist off cap is taped over.

People are insanely comfortable with just using their smart phone and getting lunch or dinner 3-5 times a week delivered to their front door.

At least it is fewer dishes to wash when they order online
Hungry Ojos
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Yellow bellies are good stuff

Especially if you can find it on draught.
nukeaggie2000
AG
AgCMT said:

Why is Matt Walsh taking credit for this? I don't even know who Matt Walsh is. Bud Light did this pretty much on their own.

Last night at my kid's soccer practice I had a conversation with one of the other dad's who happens to be a local police officer. He was telling me about a party that their department had this past weekend and how someone brought a 6-pack of Bud Light as a joke. Matt Walsh didn't do that - Bud Light did.

Bud Light will be the White Elephant gift of the near future.
got a friends surprise 50th birthday this weekend. Might try to get everyone to bring bud light as his gift, lol
TyHolden
AG
Is there any data that shows the sales in cities?
What about blue states vs red states?
jja79
AG
f burg ag said:

I see a lot of Miller Lite, Shiner and Yuengling love on here (all of which I am a fan of)....but no love for Coors Banquet? I tried it a few months ago and really liked it.

Been drinking it for 45 years. Grew up in Fort Stockton so we had a big regional distributor.

I split time between Spring and Arizona where you can get a 30 pack of Banquet for $19.
Urban Ag
AG
Nanomachines son said:

One more pro tip for AB/Bud Light.

At this particular juncture, may want to rethink packaging that depicts two longnecks touching with beer suds flying out.

The jokes keep writing themselves.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
jja79 said:

I guess it gave the impression that Schlitz was threatening the customer if they tried to switch beers. So people essentially said **** you and switched beers.
We weren't that tender back then. They changed the taste. Saying this ad turned off people in 1976 is absurd to anyone who lived it.
Yep. I was a kid working in a convenience store in the black part of Austin in the mid '70's and Schlitz ruled the roost. I can't tell you how many cases of that stuff I'd stock on the weekends.

After they screwed up by changing the formula, they brought in Frank Sellinger (formerly of AB) to 'fix' the new cheapened taste and he actually produced a product that was better than the original Schlitz. He served as the pitchman, too.

But, by then the damage had been done, and Schlitz never recovered, even though Sellinger had a great tasting product.
Coog97
Nanomachines son said:

Wonder if their "overcorrection" might include the return of Bud Bowl...

“Things weren’t gentle and politically correct in those days. We weren’t candy asses. Okay?”
-Frank Borman

“Who are you to doubt El Dandy? ‘Cause this guy’s a serious professional.”
-Bret Hart
Stat Monitor Repairman
Bud light gonna try accuse people of being a bigot for not drinking bud light.

Thats their final move before the brand implodes and that expensive shelf space goes to somebody else.
FTAG 2000
AG
Urban Ag said:

Nanomachines son said:

At this particular juncture, may want to rethink packaging that depicts two longnecks touching with beer suds flying out.

One more - they trotted out that American spirit add two weeks ago, it didn't move the needle.

This new ad won't either.

They're patronizing and stereotyping in both these ads to try and act like everything is back to normal, and everyone sees through it.

They must have hired some lib consultants who can't think past "let's just trot out a middle America themed ad with a bunch of stereotypical MAGA stuff and people will come back".

Woke idiots.
I am always wrong
I still don't believe this boycott will hold long term. Bud Light will recover within a year.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

I still don't believe this boycott will hold long term. Bud Light will recover within a year.
I don't know. As others have pointed out, this has become a branding issue more than a boycott. Bud Light offers nothing more than all the beers next to it on the shelf except it comes with a "Scarlett Letter".
Kenneth_2003
AG
I am always wrong said:

Either user name checks...
Or it won't.
deddog
AG
Nanomachines son said:

Quote:

Even that commercial above reeks of DEI. This beer was overwhelmingly consumed by blue collar Mexicans and whites. The people in that commercial are not representative of the group that drank their beer at all.

I have noticed that Mexican yard and construction workers in gas stations have stopped buying bud light. I don't think the InBev executives realize just quite what they have done at all.
Bet they have a bunch of Harvard and Yale business majors telling them what to do
deddog
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Urban Ag said:

Nanomachines son said:

One more - they trotted out that American spirit add two weeks ago, it didn't move the needle.

This new ad won't either.

They're patronizing and stereotyping in both these ads to try and act like everything is back to normal, and everyone sees through it.

They must have hired some lib consultants who can't think past "let's just trot out a middle America themed ad with a bunch of stereotypical MAGA stuff and people will come back".

Woke idiots.
Nothing but self deprecating humor is going to rescue them.
And we know if there is anything libs can'r relate to, it's self deprecation.
Robert L. Peters
I posted it above but we have to remain aware that this wasn't a signal to transgenders. They specifically targeted a group of consumers that they knew shared certain values. It was a giant **** you to middle America.
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
jja79
AG
I am always wrong said:

Maybe if it was a unique and wonderful product but it's not. The acceptable substitutes are abundant.
Daddy-O5
AG
jja79 said:

I am always wrong said:

Maybe if it was a unique and wonderful product but it's not. The acceptable substitutes are abundant.

And in many cases the substitutes are more than acceptable. People just needed a reason to try them out, might never return to an inferior product regardless of "boycott"
NASAg03
f burg ag said:

Definitely the drink of choice here in the Denver area, along with Coors Light. Has been before all this, as this is Coors Country, but Yellowstone product placement, retro renewal, and now this has only helped their sales.

Bud Light partner's with an annoying trans woman, which followers because people love watching a train wreck, and Bud Light marketing can't see that.

Meanwhile, Coors partners with a show that's popular among pretty much all political persuasions. That's how you do it.

I know Breck Brewing is part of AB, so I'm avoiding that. I never was a fan of most of their beers, but again, it's really easy to find a different local craft beer that isn't so political (although that's a challenge in Colorado).

Quote:

In the week that ended April 22, the brand's in-store sales plummeted more than 26%, according to figures reported by Bump Williams Consulting, a Connecticut-based firm that specializes in the alcoholic beverage industry.

And the decline is only accelerating. The week before, sales dropped by 21%. The week before that, it was 11%.

"I also think that what's happening now is that anybody that is a Bud Light drinker and switches to Michelob Ultra because they don't want to be seen holding a Bud Light, someone down the bar is going to say, 'Hey, buddy, that's an Anheuser-Busch product you're holding,'" Williams said.

The slowdown in sales of Michelob Ultra is of particular concern to Anheuser-Busch because it had been one of the fastest-growing brands on the market, said David Steinman, vice president and executive editor at Beer Marketer's Insights.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/bud-light-sales-continue-to-plummet-after-transgender-marketing-controversy/article_cb4df8c2-e83f-11ed-b255-f3f68e1f98f4.html

Mike Shaw - Class of '03
sanangelo
AG
ac04 said:

newsletter from a very respected industry consultant

Quote:

Let's take a stroll down memory lane and see what we can learn from past beer brand deaths… and no, I'm not saying Bud Light is dying- even though it is damn sick right now… just what can we learn from history.

When I first started working with beer distributors, I worked with a few of these folks and saw first-hand the challenges that confronted them and more importantly, what drove the demise of what were once big brands.

Old Style once ruled Chicago. Hudepohl the same in Cincinnati. Rainer, Olympia, Stroh, PBR… the list is long. They owned the bars… their signage ruled.

But then it started. It wasn't the result of some grand marketing scheme, it wasn't really driven by anyone, it just started happening. It no longer was "cool" to be seen drinking these products in young, adult bars. In fact, it was decidedly uncool to be seen with one in your hand.

No one told the consumer this… it was basically just a social contagion that silently spread through these bars. You could still go into the corner bar and have one with all the old guys but in the hip and happening places you didn't want to be seen with an Old Style in your hand. Not getting laid that way.

That once powerhouse brand Budweiser once 1 in 4 of every beer consumed was a Bud also went through this exact process. In recent years it kind of made a full circle and became "retro-cool" in some of these bars… following the PBR model.

But for these brands, that was that. These brands went from powerhouse brands that people were once proud to drink, to brands that were mostly value-driven and consumed off-premise or in small and likely dying corner bars and taverns.

ABI and Bud Light face a similar but slightly different situation. These historic brand demises were a natural occurrence as people's tastes and perceptions change. But Bud Light's situation is driven by other forces.

So it's not the young, adult bars that are the canary in the coalmine but of course if Bud Light loses these, it's lights out - but high volume sports and blue collar bars. It seems in many of these bars a Bud Light drinker is likely to be verbally harassed by other patrons.

If this drives a larger social movement where it becomes "un-cool" to drink Bud Light or for that matter any ABI product it will be very bad news for ABI distributors across the land.

And just like Old Style, Hudepohl, and yes even Bud once it starts there is no force that will stop it. No amount of advertising or marketing will change this. It is an organic process driven by no one. It is diffuse and like the tide, no matter what you do it ain't going to change much.

Will this happen? It's already happening… the only question is the degree and whether it sticks. And if it sticks, it will be a self-inflicted brand suicide that has no peer in modern times.

Those old Schlitz execs are looking down from heaven with smiles on their faces as they no longer are the title holders of the biggest screwup in the history of beer. Heck, this might turn out to be the biggest screwup of any consumer product. Real men of genius.

And as ABI is learning, they are now in the game and no matter what they do, someone will be pissed at them. They had better accept this and decide who they'd rather piss off. My vote would be the alphabet people but ABI isn't listening to me.

I've reached out to them to try to help them through this I'm a mercenary remember. But the window is quickly closing on the opportunity to turn this thing around and I don't see they yet even understand the essence of what they did. Thus, my bet is on more mistakes and stupidity.

And I can't decide whether to laugh or cry at their hiring some conservative lobbyists to help them keep conservative Washington politicians on their side. I think the number of beer drinkers whose brand choices are influenced by ANY politician is rather small. But what do I know? Trump Jr's attempt to support Bud Light only served to damage his standing.

This is the first time many almost all? of these folks ever faced challenges like this. This is their turn in the barrel and so far, they certainly aren't rising to the occasion.

And lastly, I have to beat up my friend Harry for his cowardice. No, not his and Benj's dancing around this as to not lose all those ABI subscriptions that is bad enough.

But Dylan Mulvaney is a guy. HE is a male. From the moment that Y chromosome sperm sealed the deal it was set he was a he.

HE is not a SHE. And no amount of facial surgery, boob implants, or even cutting off the old pecker will change this reality.

Over the weekend Dylan said he wished it to become against the law to say what I just did.

But bowing down to our modern day Khmer Rouge just shows a surprising lack of character. Just like ABI is finding, this truly is a war and whether you like it or not, you will be forced to choose sides. No way around it.

And this has nothing to do with being gay or lesbian.

jc

The money quote from the above:
Quote:

San Angelo LIVE!
https://sanangelolive.com/
ProgN
Daddy-O5 said:

jja79 said:

I am always wrong said:

And in many cases the substitutes are more than acceptable. People just needed a reason to try them out, might never return to an inferior product regardless of "boycott"
You just nailed it with regards to me. I drank Ultra and was never interested in trying Yuengling Flight because I didn't need to. Once I did, I discovered it tastes so much better than Ultra and I'm not going back to Ultra for that reason. I'm just pissed because every store in my area is soldout of Flight. Damn I'd love to know the jump in demand, sales, and market share that Yuengling is experiencing right now.

CDUB98
AG
How do you idiots drink so much beer without becoming fatasses?

I feel like if I drink just one, I put on 10 pounds.
wasntme
Zac Brown needs to come out and tell Bud to stop using their song.
Daddy-O5
AG
CDUB98 said:

How do you idiots drink so much beer without becoming fatasses?

I feel like if I drink just one, I put on 10 pounds.
I can't speak for the other idiots or fatasses, but this idiot got to be kind of a fatass so I quit drinking a lot of beer these days. But when I do decide to have one (or a few) I'm usually pretty selective about it!
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.