Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

459,041 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
Ornithopter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Have you tasted my Schlitz?"

I'm too young to remember this but man that last line has me dying laughing. Sounds like something off the Delicious Dish
jja79
AG
CDUB98 said:

How do you idiots drink so much beer without becoming fatasses?

I feel like if I drink just one, I put on 10 pounds.

When you find something you're good at keep doing it.
Buzzy
f burg ag said:

I see a lot of Miller Lite, Shiner and Yuengling love on here (all of which I am a fan of)....but no love for Coors Banquet? I tried it a few months ago and really liked it.

I am convinced *Cobra Kai* introduced a whole new generation to Coors Banquet and helped revive its popularity.
Wild West Pimp Style
Ellis Wyatt
AgCMT said:

Why is Matt Walsh taking credit for this? I don't even know who Matt Walsh is. Bud Light did this pretty much on their own.
I wouldn't give credit to Matt Walsh specifically, but if you aren't familiar with his exposure of TG insanity, you should probably pay more attention to serious issues. He's done a lot of heavy lifting just to show the truth and insanity, thus he definitely deserves some credit.
ProgN
CDUB98 said:

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
f burg ag said:

I see a lot of Miller Lite, Shiner and Yuengling love on here (all of which I am a fan of)...but no love for Coors Banquet? I tried it a few months ago and really liked it.

My beer of choice in high school. We referred to them as yellow bellies or cowboy coors.
Buzzy
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

f burg ag said:

I see a lot of Miller Lite, Shiner and Yuengling love on here (all of which I am a fan of)...but no love for Coors Banquet? I tried it a few months ago and really liked it.

My beer of choice in high school. We referred to them as yellow bellies or cowboy coors.

They were called yellowjackets on *Yellowstone*
Wild West Pimp Style
American Hardwood
AG
ac04 said:

newsletter from a very respected industry consultant

Quote:

Let's take a stroll down memory lane and see what we can learn from past beer brand deaths… and no, I'm not saying Bud Light is dying- even though it is damn sick right now… just what can we learn from history.

When I first started working with beer distributors, I worked with a few of these folks and saw first-hand the challenges that confronted them and more importantly, what drove the demise of what were once big brands.

Old Style once ruled Chicago. Hudepohl the same in Cincinnati. Rainer, Olympia, Stroh, PBR… the list is long. They owned the bars… their signage ruled.

But then it started. It wasn't the result of some grand marketing scheme, it wasn't really driven by anyone, it just started happening. It no longer was "cool" to be seen drinking these products in young, adult bars. In fact, it was decidedly uncool to be seen with one in your hand.

No one told the consumer this… it was basically just a social contagion that silently spread through these bars. You could still go into the corner bar and have one with all the old guys but in the hip and happening places you didn't want to be seen with an Old Style in your hand. Not getting laid that way.

That once powerhouse brand Budweiser once 1 in 4 of every beer consumed was a Bud also went through this exact process. In recent years it kind of made a full circle and became "retro-cool" in some of these bars… following the PBR model.

But for these brands, that was that. These brands went from powerhouse brands that people were once proud to drink, to brands that were mostly value-driven and consumed off-premise or in small and likely dying corner bars and taverns.

ABI and Bud Light face a similar but slightly different situation. These historic brand demises were a natural occurrence as people's tastes and perceptions change. But Bud Light's situation is driven by other forces.

So it's not the young, adult bars that are the canary in the coalmine but of course if Bud Light loses these, it's lights out - but high volume sports and blue collar bars. It seems in many of these bars a Bud Light drinker is likely to be verbally harassed by other patrons.

If this drives a larger social movement where it becomes "un-cool" to drink Bud Light or for that matter any ABI product it will be very bad news for ABI distributors across the land.

And just like Old Style, Hudepohl, and yes even Bud once it starts there is no force that will stop it. No amount of advertising or marketing will change this. It is an organic process driven by no one. It is diffuse and like the tide, no matter what you do it ain't going to change much.

Will this happen? It's already happening… the only question is the degree and whether it sticks. And if it sticks, it will be a self-inflicted brand suicide that has no peer in modern times.

Those old Schlitz execs are looking down from heaven with smiles on their faces as they no longer are the title holders of the biggest screwup in the history of beer. Heck, this might turn out to be the biggest screwup of any consumer product. Real men of genius.

And as ABI is learning, they are now in the game and no matter what they do, someone will be pissed at them. They had better accept this and decide who they'd rather piss off. My vote would be the alphabet people but ABI isn't listening to me.

I've reached out to them to try to help them through this I'm a mercenary remember. But the window is quickly closing on the opportunity to turn this thing around and I don't see they yet even understand the essence of what they did. Thus, my bet is on more mistakes and stupidity.

And I can't decide whether to laugh or cry at their hiring some conservative lobbyists to help them keep conservative Washington politicians on their side. I think the number of beer drinkers whose brand choices are influenced by ANY politician is rather small. But what do I know? Trump Jr's attempt to support Bud Light only served to damage his standing.

This is the first time many almost all? of these folks ever faced challenges like this. This is their turn in the barrel and so far, they certainly aren't rising to the occasion.

And lastly, I have to beat up my friend Harry for his cowardice. No, not his and Benj's dancing around this as to not lose all those ABI subscriptions that is bad enough.

But Dylan Mulvaney is a guy. HE is a male. From the moment that Y chromosome sperm sealed the deal it was set he was a he.

HE is not a SHE. And no amount of facial surgery, boob implants, or even cutting off the old pecker will change this reality.

Over the weekend Dylan said he wished it to become against the law to say what I just did.

But bowing down to our modern day Khmer Rouge just shows a surprising lack of character. Just like ABI is finding, this truly is a war and whether you like it or not, you will be forced to choose sides. No way around it.

And this has nothing to do with being gay or lesbian.

But calling a guy a she in an attempt to placate those who can't be placated is the wrong path to take.

jc

There is a giant gaping hole in that story and that is Miller Lite and the ensuing rapid rise of the American Light Lager 'diet beer'. The concept of a beer that could 'taste great' and be 'less filling' found a perfect resonance with an American consumer that wanted a party beer that could be consumed in large quantities with less 'consequences' around the belly. It is no coincidence that all of the 'old style' beers ALL began to slide at the same time Miller Lite made the scene and all of the other light lagers that soon followed.

The writer of this synopsis makes it sound like the demise of old brands was organic, but it was not. They were replaced by a style that better fit the mass consumer. It is no surprise that the big 3 light lagers took that crown and have never shown any signs of giving it up. If the consumer were as fickle as the writer suggests, these brands should have ebbed and flowed on the same tides that he claims for old beers. They haven't.

The only thing to put a dent into the big brands has been the rise of craft brewing that has been eating away at the edges of their market share. But there is a limit to the amount of damage the craft beers can do because they aren't really competing for the same type of drinker. That isn't to say that craft drinking hasn't affected the market because it has, but there will always be a core market for people that want a cheap and easy party beer.

I will say though that there is a bit of truth I think in that, beers like Coors Banquet, Miller High Life, Schlitz, PBR, even Bud heavy, etc. are all considered 'old beers' and only old people drink them, but I think a clever advertising campaign right at this moment might reintroduce younger drinkers to these beers, which in my opinion are much better than their light counterparts. Make them retro-cool again.

ETE:
Quote:

I am convinced *Cobra Kai* introduced a whole new generation to Coors Banquet and helped revive its popularity.
This is exactly what I am talking about in my last paragraph.
Buzzy
PBR experienced a renaissance a few years back when the hipsters identified as blue collar workers and PBR as the blue collar beer. I'm sure they drank it to be ironic. It was selling at bars around here for $8 a bottle.
Wild West Pimp Style
American Hardwood
AG
My favorite local craft beer joint always has PBR available.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Quote:

It was selling at bars around here for $8 a bottle.

Reason #16,387 why hipsters are complete morons.
cab559
AG
I am always wrong said:

I still don't believe this boycott will hold long term. Bud Light will recover within a year.
Maybe, but I was a BL / MU customer that will never purchase another. So I won't be helping.
agent-maroon
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

I didn't think there'd be a lot of follow through on this one either. As some have already pointed out it's an outright branding issue now as much as a marketing faux pas so it's got some legs.

I don't buy beer much anymore, but I did buy some Shiners instead of Karbach one time. You're welcome Middle America.
Yep, it is most certainly a branding issue. I'll forever refer to Bud Light as the Tran Can, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

My go-to beers are Miller Lite (I'm sure Miller Coors has similar beliefs, but they still know who drinks most of their beer) and Yuengling. I've been boycotting Bud Light since I was like 17.
Yeungling has been a favorite of mine for a while since I've spent a lot of time on the East Coast. This "boycott" is a pretty easy one when all you're doing is opening the next fridge down the aisle for a better product. Bud light or any other AB product.

I discovered Yeungling on a vacation trip to Orange Beach. Thought that I should try this very reasonably priced import
from China/Korea/Japan/wherever. Of course it turned out to not be from any of those places but it was great beer and priced cheaper than my previous go to Shiner. I would always pick up a few months supply when I visited the in-laws in Louisiana & Arkansas. Ironically, the in-laws were all BL drinkers who made fun of me for drinking uppity beers. Wonder what they're saying now?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

CDUB98 said:

I work out 4 - 5 times a week just so I can drink and eat whatever I want. Although as I get older this approach isn't working so well.
ProgN
agent-maroon said:

I discovered Yeungling on a vacation trip to Orange Beach. Thought that I should try this very reasonably priced import
from China/Korea/Japan/wherever. Of course it turned out to not be from any of those places but it was great beer and priced cheaper than my previous go to Shiner. I would always pick up a few months supply when I visited the in-laws in Louisiana & Arkansas. Ironically, the in-laws were all BL drinkers who made fun of me for drinking uppity beers. Wonder what they're saying now?
Your immediate reply should've been, " I'll be giving your daughter all the uppity she can handle later tonight "

Immature yes, but that's one hell of a trump card.
Tanya 93
Taco Tuesday
4:30 pm

Not a single Bud product sold today.
AnScAggie
AG
Miller Lite is a Pilsner not a Lager.
ProgN
Tanya 93 said:

Taco Tuesday

That's good. I'm not wishing ill upon your business but I am on TB. FWIW, our stores are stocked with BL, BUD, and Ultra that the distributor will have to rotate out a destroy. Sales of the other beers are up.

I'm just hoping this boycott doesn't lose steam.
Kenneth_2003
AG
American Hardwood said:

ac04 said:

newsletter from a very respected industry consultant

Quote:

Let's take a stroll down memory lane and see what we can learn from past beer brand deaths… and no, I'm not saying Bud Light is dying- even though it is damn sick right now… just what can we learn from history.

When I first started working with beer distributors, I worked with a few of these folks and saw first-hand the challenges that confronted them and more importantly, what drove the demise of what were once big brands.

Old Style once ruled Chicago. Hudepohl the same in Cincinnati. Rainer, Olympia, Stroh, PBR… the list is long. They owned the bars… their signage ruled.

But then it started. It wasn't the result of some grand marketing scheme, it wasn't really driven by anyone, it just started happening. It no longer was "cool" to be seen drinking these products in young, adult bars. In fact, it was decidedly uncool to be seen with one in your hand.

No one told the consumer this… it was basically just a social contagion that silently spread through these bars. You could still go into the corner bar and have one with all the old guys but in the hip and happening places you didn't want to be seen with an Old Style in your hand. Not getting laid that way.

That once powerhouse brand Budweiser once 1 in 4 of every beer consumed was a Bud also went through this exact process. In recent years it kind of made a full circle and became "retro-cool" in some of these bars… following the PBR model.

But for these brands, that was that. These brands went from powerhouse brands that people were once proud to drink, to brands that were mostly value-driven and consumed off-premise or in small and likely dying corner bars and taverns.

ABI and Bud Light face a similar but slightly different situation. These historic brand demises were a natural occurrence as people's tastes and perceptions change. But Bud Light's situation is driven by other forces.

So it's not the young, adult bars that are the canary in the coalmine but of course if Bud Light loses these, it's lights out - but high volume sports and blue collar bars. It seems in many of these bars a Bud Light drinker is likely to be verbally harassed by other patrons.

If this drives a larger social movement where it becomes "un-cool" to drink Bud Light or for that matter any ABI product it will be very bad news for ABI distributors across the land.

And just like Old Style, Hudepohl, and yes even Bud once it starts there is no force that will stop it. No amount of advertising or marketing will change this. It is an organic process driven by no one. It is diffuse and like the tide, no matter what you do it ain't going to change much.

Will this happen? It's already happening… the only question is the degree and whether it sticks. And if it sticks, it will be a self-inflicted brand suicide that has no peer in modern times.

Those old Schlitz execs are looking down from heaven with smiles on their faces as they no longer are the title holders of the biggest screwup in the history of beer. Heck, this might turn out to be the biggest screwup of any consumer product. Real men of genius.

And as ABI is learning, they are now in the game and no matter what they do, someone will be pissed at them. They had better accept this and decide who they'd rather piss off. My vote would be the alphabet people but ABI isn't listening to me.

I've reached out to them to try to help them through this I'm a mercenary remember. But the window is quickly closing on the opportunity to turn this thing around and I don't see they yet even understand the essence of what they did. Thus, my bet is on more mistakes and stupidity.

And I can't decide whether to laugh or cry at their hiring some conservative lobbyists to help them keep conservative Washington politicians on their side. I think the number of beer drinkers whose brand choices are influenced by ANY politician is rather small. But what do I know? Trump Jr's attempt to support Bud Light only served to damage his standing.

This is the first time many almost all? of these folks ever faced challenges like this. This is their turn in the barrel and so far, they certainly aren't rising to the occasion.

And lastly, I have to beat up my friend Harry for his cowardice. No, not his and Benj's dancing around this as to not lose all those ABI subscriptions that is bad enough.

But Dylan Mulvaney is a guy. HE is a male. From the moment that Y chromosome sperm sealed the deal it was set he was a he.

HE is not a SHE. And no amount of facial surgery, boob implants, or even cutting off the old pecker will change this reality.

Over the weekend Dylan said he wished it to become against the law to say what I just did.

But bowing down to our modern day Khmer Rouge just shows a surprising lack of character. Just like ABI is finding, this truly is a war and whether you like it or not, you will be forced to choose sides. No way around it.

And this has nothing to do with being gay or lesbian.

But calling a guy a she in an attempt to placate those who can't be placated is the wrong path to take.

jc

There is a giant gaping hole in that story and that is Miller Lite and the ensuing rapid rise of the American Light Lager 'diet beer'. The concept of a beer that could 'taste great' and be 'less filling' found a perfect resonance with an American consumer that wanted a party beer that could be consumed in large quantities with less 'consequences' around the belly. It is no coincidence that all of the 'old style' beers ALL began to slide at the same time Miller Lite made the scene and all of the other light lagers that soon followed.

The writer of this synopsis makes it sound like the demise of old brands was organic, but it was not. They were replaced by a style that better fit the mass consumer. It is no surprise that the big 3 light lagers took that crown and have never shown any signs of giving it up. If the consumer were as fickle as the writer suggests, these brands should have ebbed and flowed on the same tides that he claims for old beers. They haven't.

The only thing to put a dent into the big brands has been the rise of craft brewing that has been eating away at the edges of their market share. But there is a limit to the amount of damage the craft beers can do because they aren't really competing for the same type of drinker. That isn't to say that craft drinking hasn't affected the market because it has, but there will always be a core market for people that want a cheap and easy party beer.

I will say though that there is a bit of truth I think in that, beers like Coors Banquet, Miller High Life, Schlitz, PBR, even Bud heavy, etc. are all considered 'old beers' and only old people drink them, but I think a clever advertising campaign right at this moment might reintroduce younger drinkers to these beers, which in my opinion are much better than their light counterparts. Make them retro-cool again.

ETE:
Quote:

This is exactly what I am talking about in my last paragraph.

You're spot on with the Lite/ Light beer market. It's what makes a comment posted earlier even more devastating for ABI.

Michelob Ultra was their fastest growing product. That was the quintessential cold beer after a 5k beverage.
TexAg1987
ProgN said:

Tanya 93 said:

Taco Tuesday

That's good. I'm not wishing ill upon your business but I am on TB. FWIW, our stores are stocked with BL, BUD, and Ultra that the distributor will have to rotate out a destroy. Sales of the other beers are up.

So, explain it to me. I never really thought about it, but I know the distributor will do a lot of set up (taps, lines, etc.) for bars.

Do restaurants buy their beer stock, and what they don't sell they have to eat? Will the distributer rotate out old stock like the stores? Can you replace old stock with a different brand from the same distributor?

Do stores buy their stock also, or do they sell 'on consignment.'
American Hardwood
AG
I don't want to see AB go down in flames, though I have no problem if the Bud Lite brand does. There are a ton of good people in the AB family, and they don't deserve to get punished forever for this. But I do hope that all of the executives responsible are driven out and tarred and feathered on the way.

I want the message of this boycott load and clear so that corporate America will think twice about ESG and DEI initiatives and stop cramming this garbage down our throats. For now, I am still boycotting all AB products, but may eventually relax on some of their brands like Karbach. Bud Lite is forever dead, and I'm fine if Bud regular goes with it.
CrockerAg98
AG
Did anyone else read that letter from the industry consultant in Anthony Hopkins' voice?
Tanya 93
ProgN said:

Tanya 93 said:

Taco Tuesday

I get it. But I have cooler filled with these products.
Eventually I have to make a choice to sell at a loss to move new things in or hope the beers last 6-9 months and people forget.

I know you are not wishing bad things sweetie, but we sold a **** ton of this and now I may need to find room for new stuff.

I am thinking maybe more Miller stuff or more Abita beers.
American Hardwood
AG
Abita please! Though, I probably live nowhere near your place.
deddog
AG
CDUB98 said:

I drink ****ty beer.
I drink budweiser 55 (55 cals, barely any carbs). I was probably the only one drinking that at the local HEB. Switched to Yuengling Light . More calories, better taste
deddog
AG
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

CDUB98 said:

I work out 4 - 5 times a week just so I can drink and eat whatever I want. Although as I get older this approach isn't working so well.

What other reason is there to exercise??
Tanya 93
American Hardwood said:

Abita please! Though, I probably live nowhere near your place.

Contemplating TurboDog

I use Purple Haze for a specific Beerita.
American Hardwood
AG
Turbodog is great, but Andygator is where it is at. However, they should put a warning label on that because it is too easy to drink considering the alcohol content.
Tanya 93
American Hardwood said:

Turbodog is great, but Andygator is where it is at. However, they should put a warning label on that because it is too easy to drink considering the alcohol content.

Thanks for the suggestion
ProgN
TexAg1987 said:

ProgN said:

Tanya 93 said:

Taco Tuesday

So, explain it to me. I never really thought about it, but I know the distributor will do a lot of set up (taps, lines, etc.) for bars.

Do restaurants buy their beer stock, and what they don't sell they have to eat? Will the distributer rotate out old stock like the stores? Can you replace old stock with a different brand from the same distributor?

Do stores buy their stock also, or do they sell 'on consignment.'
I'm involved on the retail side so I can't speak for bars but our salesman rotate out product nearing expiration because they sell it to bigger stores at a discount and they don't have to lose everything by pouring it out. Those big stores could move it all on a big sale before it expires because they got it at below normal costs so they make their money.

The salesman restock us and the good ones don't have to rotate stock very much because they know the volume so sales for their beers. At least they used to before AB went full ******.
ProgN
American Hardwood said:

I don't want to see AB go down in flames, though I have no problem if the Bud Lite brand does. There are a ton of good people in the AB family, and they don't deserve to get punished forever for this. But I do hope that all of the executives responsible are driven out and tarred and feathered on the way.

I want the message of this boycott load and clear so that corporate America will think twice about ESG and DEI initiatives and stop cramming this garbage down our throats. For now, I am still boycotting all AB products, but may eventually relax on some of their brands like Karbach. Bud Lite is forever dead, and I'm fine if Bud regular goes with it.
They're not going down in flames but they need to feel this pain for awhile and heads should rolls. They're trying to play the middle but it's not going to work. I feel for the salesmen and delivery drivers I know because they the one's paying the price for that idiot woke VP. They know there will not be any bonuses this year.
BTKAG97
AG
Buzzy said:

f burg ag said:

I see a lot of Miller Lite, Shiner and Yuengling love on here (all of which I am a fan of)....but no love for Coors Banquet? I tried it a few months ago and really liked it.
It's a YELLOWBELLY! Call it by it's rightful name.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Do you think that's why we saw a photo of a pallet of BL 30 packs on sale in a Costco?
ntxVol
AnScAggie said:

Miller Lite is a Pilsner not a Lager.
Um, FYI, A pilsner is a type of lager...HTH.
ProgN
Kenneth_2003 said:

Do you think that's why we saw a photo of a pallet of BL 30 packs on sale in a Costco?
I do but I have no way verify it.
First Page Last Page
Page 30 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.