Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

455,820 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tramp96 said:

Tanya 93 said:

agracer said:

Was at a dinner and then live music/dancing even this weekend.

20 People at dinner, not a single bud light drink ordered (lots of Miller Lite, Coors, Michelob).

At the live music event, 200-people in attendance. No bud light at a single table.

I wonder if this boycott will die like so many others or if it's permanent?

Michelob is AB
Remember real Michelob? Not this Ultra crap of today, but the Michelob in the gold-label bottle?

That was a damn fine beer. Miss it. Even the old Michelob Light was good stuff.

In college, my high school buddy came up and he was already starting to sell real estate so he had some money while we were drinking either ice cold Pearl or Busch. He went out and bought a couple of cases of Michelob and it was like living in heaven.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
agsalaska
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

agsalaska said:

CDUB98 said:

TexAg1987 said:

Beer Business Daily reported Sunday that Bud LIght's off-premise sales volume (the amount of beer sold outside of restaurants and bars) was down 26.1% from a year earlier in the week ended April 22, based on scan data. Volumes were down 21.1% in the prior week, while so far this year, Bud Light volumes are down 8%.

The figures include sales at grocery stores, convenience stores, and liquor stores.

Bud Light Sales Fall 26% as Transgender Backlash Worsens (msn.com)
By the way people talk, you'd think it was down around 75%, not 26.
If it wasn't for TexAgs I wouldn't even know about it.

I am sure it has been all over the tabloids but I try not to read them much and would absolutely skip any headline that had a beer and a trans weirdo in it.

Neither of my parents drink or use any form of social media and they BOTH knew about this.

My friend, you have got one fine rock you're apparently living under!
Did they hear about it at church? Sounds like the kind of thing I hear the old folks talking about while we are waiting on the pastor. That and Disney. And drag shows. In fact I have been kind of weirded out by the old folks recent fascination with drag shows.

I was exaggerating a bit. I probably would have seen it and not understood the joke enough times until someone explained it to me. But I will say I probably spend 4-6 hours a week at a bar by my house and haven't heard a word about it.

Did I get this right that these beers were never even sold to the public?
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Stat Monitor Repairman
Schlitz got sideways in 1976 when the president of the company's grandson decided to change the original formula for the beer. They added a bunch of corn syrup and other random **** because it was cheaper.

So you had the beer that made Milwaukee famous. And the kid decides to change the formula.

Schlitz was #2 brewery in the US at this particular time and they managed to **** it up.

Second thing that Schlitz did was try an ad campaign that was arrogant and pissed people off.

So in the Schlitz case you had somebody changing the formula, then threatening the customer for not buying it. The ad that did them in was in fact damage control from an earlier bad decision.

In this Bud light deal they tarnished the brand straight away. The brand is likely permanently damaged. At this point, anything they do to try and recover from this will backfire. Whatever narrative they try and create will get destroyed immediately.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Well as southern baptists I don't think booze is the topic of conversation at Sunday school. I actually didn't ask how/ where they knew.

Yes your correct. It was a 1 off sixer of tallboys (irony) for the fake girl. I think only publicized on social media. They were not a public release.
Aggiemike96
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

brand straight away.

Say again?
Stat Monitor Repairman

This was one of the Schlitz commercials that people got pissed about. Seems pretty tame by modern standards.
BCG Disciple
AG
So Bud Light is the new Schlitz?

More like Schmitts!!

agsalaska
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Well as southern baptists I don't think booze is the topic of conversation at Sunday school. I actually didn't ask how/ where they knew.

Yes your correct. It was a 1 off sixer of tallboys (irony) for the fake girl. I think only publicized on social media. They were not a public release.
Haha. They were tallboys??

That's hilarious.

And Bud Light is worthless beer anyway.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

HoustonAg2106
AG

This was one of the Schlitz commercials that people got pissed about. Seems pretty tame by modern standards.

What was the problem?
Stat Monitor Repairman
I guess it gave the impression that Schlitz was threatening the customer if they tried to switch beers. So people essentially said **** you and switched beers.
Counterpoint
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

What was the problem?

They were trying to take away his gusto!
nortex97
AG

To those of you who have changed domestic beer preferences away from BL, keep it up!
Kenneth_2003
AG
agsalaska said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

That's hilarious.

Ok... So I did a little more digging... Apparently this started with something that should have been pretty safe. Apparently there was some kind of sweepstakes for social media influencers to make a promotional video/post for BL. It headed for derailment when they partnered with Mulvaney who took a normal BL 6-pack and did a video dresssed up as Holly Golightly bantering about March Madness. So that would have fallen flat, but probably only gone out to his TikTok followers. The dustup could have likely been avoided. They doubled down with the custom can "Celebrating 365 days of Girlhood."

If had just been a fell flat (I think) $15,000 sent to a TikTok'er it would have gone away. Opps, we should have better vetted the participants in this small marketing campaign. They didn't do that.
Nanomachines son

Their new commercial. Yeah absolutely everyone sees through this.
agsalaska
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

agsalaska said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

That's hilarious.

Ok... So I did a little more digging... Apparently this started with something that should have been pretty safe. Apparently there was some kind of sweepstakes for social media influencers to make a promotional video/post for BL. It headed for derailment when they partnered with Mulvaney who took a normal BL 6-pack and did a video dresssed up as Holly Golightly bantering about March Madness. So that would have fallen flat, but probably only gone out to his TikTok followers. The dustup could have likely been avoided. They doubled down with the custom can "Celebrating 365 days of Girlhood."

If had just been a fell flat (I think) $15,000 sent to a TikTok'er it would have gone away. Opps, we should have better vetted the participants in this small marketing campaign. They didn't do that.
What a complete waist of time. They then tripled down with the marketing VPs interview. That was the first I saw of it and was also probably the first for most.

Note to self- If a marketing guru ever comes to you wanting to hire or in any way get involved with anyone with the title 'infuencer' the answer is NO. Then consider new marketing candidates.

Daddy-O5
AG

Quote:

I didn't think there'd be a lot of follow through on this one either. As some have already pointed out it's an outright branding issue now as much as a marketing faux pas so it's got some legs.

I don't buy beer much anymore, but I did buy some Shiners instead of Karbach one time. You're welcome Middle America.
FrioAg 00
AG
Some products or companies are just easier to avoid than others. Bud Light is generic cheap beer - a decision anyone can change easily.

My hope is that it might wake conservatives up to just how much power they have in the market- but I don't believe it will.

Conservatives are generally too practical to be good protesters /boycotters
Kenneth_2003
AG
agsalaska said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

agsalaska said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

That's hilarious.

What a complete waist of time. They then tripled down with the marketing VPs interview. That was the first I saw of it and was also probably the first for most.

Note to self- If a marketing guru ever comes to you wanting to hire or in any way get involved with anyone with the title 'infuencer' the answer is NO. Then consider new marketing candidates.
I think some low budget stuff involving social media influencers is fine... There's a lot of cheap creativity out there that can be tapped. Plenty on this site have watched Meg Riley drink a Miller Lite (I think her partnership with them has ended).

So I haven't watched the whole video... But my takeaway, and this should get everyone fired. Dylan thought he was being clever, but he was actually insulting himself, and quite frankly everyone.

He dresses up as Holly Golightly. So he's mocking her character as in his eyes she's now drinking low-brow BL rather than her usual NYC socialite Gin cocktail. He mocks March Madness. Of course he's also mocking all women as he pretends to be one. This should have been a swing and a miss at every level. Parody and jokes are good, but when the protagonist is living a life of make believe, it turns the whole thing into a mockery.
nortex97
AG
That's pretty damn funny in how pathetically transparent the pandering is.
Stat Monitor Repairman

This bar owner walking on eggshells trying to explain the situation.

Also outstanding job by Isaiah Carey, as always.
Sea Speed
AG
HOLY **** HE DID THE BLACK PRONUNCIATION OF DYLAN JUST LIKE THE KEY AND PEELE SKETCH
redcrayon
AG
Sea Speed said:

HOLY **** HE DID THE BLACK PRONUNCIATION OF DYLAN JUST LIKE THE KEY AND PEELE SKETCH
That was awesome!
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Nanomachines son said:

Their new commercial. Yeah absolutely everyone sees through this.
This ad is lame and trans-parent

What it isn't is an apology or a step back from wokeness.

Bud is dead. They will not walk this back. They have had a month and 3-4 times to fix it and each time they don't reverse they dig deeper. This is permanent brand damage

Unless the c suite is fired and they get back to their brand they are done.
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Nanomachines son

The Yellowstone meme is a gift that keeps on giving. Now we have idiot country music stars getting in on the actions.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

I didn't think there'd be a lot of follow through on this one either. As some have already pointed out it's an outright branding issue now as much as a marketing faux pas so it's got some legs.

I don't buy beer much anymore, but I did buy some Shiners instead of Karbach one time. You're welcome Middle America.
Yep, it is most certainly a branding issue. I'll forever refer to Bud Light as the Tran Can, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

My go-to beers are Miller Lite (I'm sure Miller Coors has similar beliefs, but they still know who drinks most of their beer) and Yuengling. I've been boycotting Bud Light since I was like 17.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Waiting for the marketing VP to do another interview and triple down on all this.
TyHolden
AG
Only way to fix this is to get Chick-fil-A to start serving bud light…
Science Denier
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Some products or companies are just easier to avoid than others. Bud Light is generic cheap beer - a decision anyone can change easily.

My hope is that it might wake conservatives up to just how much power they have in the market- but I don't believe it will.

Conservatives are generally too practical to be good protesters /boycotters
Conservatives need an organizer. Someone that can effectively highlight the left's lies/narratives.

Libs have MSM. The MSM gets their narratives out for everyone. When there is a conservative voice, that voice is attacked. Rush and Trump were the only ones I can remember that were not silenced.

When they can get Tucker, they can get anyone that's not insanely rich.

When Regan was President, he toted the voice. "Don't say the "L" word". Much like "fake news". Fake news was to be used to silence the right, yet Trump turned that totally around and made it stand for MSM.

The Right's narrative needs to be led. Individual citizens can't do it without leadership.
LOL OLD
aTm2004
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

agsalaska said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

That's hilarious.

Yep. If he didn't have a can with his face on it, most people would just think the guy bought BL for his little video and let it go...probably even joking "see, he really is a guy for buying Bud Light." Having his face on the can is what did them in by showing they were complacent in it.
AgCMT
AG
Why is Matt Walsh taking credit for this? I don't even know who Matt Walsh is. Bud Light did this pretty much on their own.

Last night at my kid's soccer practice I had a conversation with one of the other dad's who happens to be a local police officer. He was telling me about a party that their department had this past weekend and how someone brought a 6-pack of Bud Light as a joke. Matt Walsh didn't do that - Bud Light did.

Bud Light will be the White Elephant gift of the near future.
AgCMT
AG
Except for TFOS - He'll always have a cold 6-pack in his fridge.
Daddy-O5
AG
aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Yep, it is most certainly a branding issue. I'll forever refer to Bud Light as the Tran Can, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

My go-to beers are Miller Lite (I'm sure Miller Coors has similar beliefs, but they still know who drinks most of their beer) and Yuengling. I've been boycotting Bud Light since I was like 17.
Yeungling has been a favorite of mine for a while since I've spent a lot of time on the East Coast. This "boycott" is a pretty easy one when all you're doing is opening the next fridge down the aisle for a better product. Bud light or any other AB product.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
AgCMT said:

Except for TFOS - He'll always have a cold 6-pack in his fridge.

Don't be staring at my cans.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
agsalaska
AG
Good summary. I agree with all of that.

Stat Monitor Repairman
Will frat pledges be forced to drink bud light?
First Page Last Page
Page 28 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.