Motor Trend EV Road Trips are...Interesting... Their Words

12,007 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TxAggieBand85
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieUSMC said:

EVs are great for commuting to a from work and running errands around town. They are not great for long road trips. Until charging stations are as prolific as conventional gas stations and technology allows for charging to take as little amount of time as filling up, I have no interest in getting one.
They're somewhat useful toys at this point, more for virtue signaling than serious use.

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Teslag
AG
If you don't drive long distances very often, commute a lot, and like driving fast with tech what better option ICE is there for the price?
annie88
AG
Teslag said:

If only the poor guy would have stopped and changed for 5 to 10 minutes
Changed into what?
annie88
AG
Teslag said:

It's not an issue at all. I'm driving from Brock to Houston today and will post a log.
Great. Drive up to Maine and tell me how it works.
annie88
AG
Teslag said:

Quote:

I get it you're in love with your Tesla and EVs. You're apparently willing to take the risk of may be running out or scheduling your trip to stop at certain gas stations here in there blah blah blah. We get it. Do you? It's not a big deal. The other people they don't wanna deal with that ***** Even the time to charge it versus filling up with gas.

I don't have to think about or risk anything. When it comes to charging and charge stops the car's internal navigator does all that for me. It even drives there for me. I basically have to do nothing but sit behind the wheel and read this board or play games on my phone.

Great. Have fun.

I DON'T WANT ONE, EVER.

GAS IS BETTER.
Manhattan
Teslag said:

Quote:

I get it you're in love with your Tesla and EVs. You're apparently willing to take the risk of may be running out or scheduling your trip to stop at certain gas stations here in there blah blah blah. We get it. Do you? It's not a big deal. The other people they don't wanna deal with that ***** Even the time to charge it versus filling up with gas.

I don't have to think about or risk anything. When it comes to charging and charge stops the car's internal navigator does all that for me. It even drives there for me. I basically have to do nothing but sit behind the wheel and read this board or play games on my phone.

YouTube on the car, sometimes I have to charge to 100% instead of 70% because there is a good video.
trailrunner
AG
EVs as they currently exist are commuter vehicles, period. No problem with that.

I would love to see a plug in hybrid truck. Run on batteries only for my commute and then pull my travel trailer with hybrid/ICE engine. Would be perfect.

That said, for now I can pull my travel trailer from DFW to Galveston on one tank and refill once on the way back (in 5 min). Many videos on YouTube of the f150 lighting towing a travel trailer only a very short distance and then having to stop and charge multiple times. No thanks.
Gunny456
AG
That does sound interesting. Would really like to hear how it does for sure. Please keep posted.
Also thank you for your knowledgeable answers on here. It is evident from the your post you know your product.
You always respond with respect and dignity.
annie88
AG
Uh oh…. You might be a racist if …

Quote:

President Joe Biden's campaign for Americans to buy electric vehicles (EVs) rather than fuel-powered cars continues to run up against the barrier of the average person's wallet a reality highlighted by a new report out of California.
Quote:

EVs in the Golden State are overwhelmingly concentrated in affluent communities dominated by white and Asian, college-educated, and high-income residents, according to CalMatters, which conducted a statewide analysis of ZIP codes based on California Energy Commission data.

Atherton, for example, is a small community in San Mateo County, Calif., that boasts not only California's highest percentage of electric cars one out of every seven, or 14% but also an average home value of nearly $7.5 million and average household income exceeding half a million dollars. The fact that Atherton is both wealthy and full of EVs isn't a coincidence, according to the data.

Most of the biggest EV clumps were found to be concentrated in Silicon Valley cities and affluent coastal areas of Los Angeles and Orange counties, the central hubs of tech titans and Hollywood giants.
Quote:

California's highest concentrations of electric cars between 10.9% and 14.2% of all vehicles are also in areas where residents are at least 75% White and Asian.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/bidens-ev-push-will-benefit-bicoastal-elites-more-than-middle-class-or-poor-study
BoerneGator
AG
Teslag said:

fka ftc said:

Teslag said:

Prices on EV's have and continue to fall. They are more computer than car. Which is a good thing.

Why is "more computer than car" a good thing? It may be a good thing to Tesla's. To a person who works on ICE vehicles and always have, then more computer is most def not a good thing.

The world exists outside of your own small sliver of perspective.

I'm sure the farriers felt the same way in the early 1900's
Smug much?
BoerneGator
AG
techno-ag said:

Teslag said:

Manhattan said:

https://pilotflyingj.com/press-release/19335

Like shooting ducks in a barrel. They don't even bother to do any real research.
Fanboys are so condescending. Those aren't used for trucks.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/warren-buffett-berkshire-hathaway-pilot-acquisition-deals-truck-stops-travel-2022-3?amp
Quote:

We are committed to an all-electric, zero-emissions future,….
From the original link/article.
UTExan
AggieUSMC said:

EVs are great for commuting to a from work and running errands around town. They are not great for long road trips. Until charging stations are as prolific as conventional gas stations and technology allows for charging to take as little amount of time as filling up, I have no interest in getting one.

Not to worry. Your government will use your tax money to make those charging stations as ubiquitous as 7-11s since they can't compete against ICE vehicles right now.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
BoerneGator
AG
Teslag said:

It's more of a realization and acceptance that I can't do anything about it anyway so I might as well leverage what I can to my advantage.
Or, in other words, "I surrender"?
techno-ag
AG
BoerneGator said:

techno-ag said:

Teslag said:

Manhattan said:

Like shooting ducks in a barrel. They don't even bother to do any real research.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/warren-buffett-berkshire-hathaway-pilot-acquisition-deals-truck-stops-travel-2022-3?amp
Quote:

Sure, they'll put some car chargers at the truck stops and make a politically correct statement. But the real money is and always has been fleet fuel. That's why they bought the chain in the first place.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

AggieZUUL
AG
Jack Squat 83 said:

So…it's "jugging" when the bad guys follow you home from an ATM; what will the term be for following an EV till it runs out of juice and bopping those folks?

Volting.
Manhattan
UTExan said:

AggieUSMC said:

Not to worry. Your government will use your tax money to make those charging stations as ubiquitous as 7-11s since they can't compete against ICE vehicles right now.

We won't need as many public charging stations as gas stations as most people will charge at home…
fka ftc
Or pack an extra coffee maker to take along to recharge along the way.

It's sad that the Dems / Libs are responsible for some of the most racist, discriminatory policies ever contemplated. Inflation… impacts minorities and the poor more than anyone else. Climate change related agendas / mandates… impacts minorities and the poor more than anyone else. Open border and fentanyl… yep, you guess it - impacts minorities and the poor more than anyone else.

Biden would be less racist if the put on a bed sheet and pointed hat and burned crosses on the White House lawn.

Yet the Black community in particular is led by leaders of color who only say "Yessa Massa Joe, uh uh may I kindly please have so more, sir".

81 million ballots counted for the Racist in Chief and put folks back in chains on the DNC plantation.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

We won't need as many public charging stations as gas stations as most people will charge at home…
What about people who live in apartments or houses without garages?
Manhattan
80 percent of Americans live in single family homes. And most apartments have oversized electrical services, code is just now
catching up to LEDs and energy efficient appliances.
UTExan
Manhattan said:

UTExan said:

AggieUSMC said:

Which will take down the grid since the grid is nowhere near robust enough to handle the planned electric economy.

But POTUS has earmarked $24.5 billion to build those charging facilities and EV supplies/infrastructure. I wonder if that includes leasing space or eminent domain against property holders?
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/02/15/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-announces-new-standards-and-major-progress-for-a-made-in-america-national-network-of-electric-vehicle-chargers/#:~:text=President%20Biden's%20Bipartisan%20Infrastructure%20Law,%2C%20critical%20minerals%2C%20and%20materials.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
fka ftc
Manhattan said:

80 percent of Americans live in single family homes. And most apartments have oversized electrical services, code is just now

I am going to ask for some backup of that 80% number. A 250sf loft in… Manhattan is not the same as owning 10 acres in Oklahoma or owning a detached townhome in Jersey or a condo in Fort Lauderdale.

Those all require completely different electric distribution that was not designed to charge a hoard of EVs every night.
BoerneGator
AG
techno-ag said:

BoerneGator said:

techno-ag said:

Teslag said:

Manhattan said:

Quote:

Sure, they'll put some car chargers at the truck stops and make a politically correct statement. But the real money is and always has been fleet fuel. That's why they bought the chain in the first place.
Yeah, was just pointing out how detached from reality their "mission statement" shows them to be. And yet, it's becoming more and more mainstream by the day. We're fooked!
Manhattan
Most people in Manhattan don't drive to work. I drive all over the tristate so I just supercharge.

As for your farm house, you only need 12A 120V… if you have an electric clothes dryer then your house was designed for a load to charge even faster.
Teslag
AG
fka ftc said:

Manhattan said:

I am going to ask for some backup of that 80% number. A 250sf loft in… Manhattan is not the same as owning 10 acres in Oklahoma or owning a detached townhome in Jersey or a condo in Fort Lauderdale.

Those all require completely different electric distribution that was not designed to charge a hoard of EVs every night.

Why would commuters charge every night?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

As for your farm house, you only need 12A 120V… if you have an electric clothes dryer then your house was designed for a load to charge even faster.
Can I ask for proof that an outlet for a clothes dryer is a "supercharger" meaning it is a fast one?
Sea Speed
AG
https://www.carshtuff.com/post/tesla-charging-at-home
YouBet
AG
UTExan said:

Manhattan said:

UTExan said:

AggieUSMC said:

Which will take down the grid since the grid is nowhere near robust enough to handle the planned electric economy.

But POTUS has earmarked $24.5 billion to build those charging facilities and EV supplies/infrastructure. I wonder if that includes leasing space or eminent domain against property holders?
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/02/15/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-announces-new-standards-and-major-progress-for-a-made-in-america-national-network-of-electric-vehicle-chargers/#:~:text=President%20Biden's%20Bipartisan%20Infrastructure%20Law,%2C%20critical%20minerals%2C%20and%20materials.

This post will be ignored as always.
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Can I ask for proof that an outlet for a clothes dryer is a "supercharger" meaning it is a fast one?

I think he meant "faster" not "fast". A 240v 50amp charger will give you about 27 miles per hour while a standard 120v 15amp charger will give you about 5 miles per hour. It's a substantial difference.
Sea Speed
AG
Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I think he meant "faster" not "fast". A 240v 50amp charger will give you about 27 miles per hour while a standard 120v 15amp charger will give you about 5 miles per hour. It's a substantial difference.

If she was actually curious, everything she needs to know is in that article I posted.
Medaggie
Model Y - 120 V outlet about 6mph. 240V "Dryer" outlet about 14. 50amp level 2 (costs about 1K installed) about 28mph. Anyone with an EV at minimum needs a 240V but a 50amp is enough to charge overnight in 8 hrs.

Current EVs are not practical for hauling/daily long distance driving unless you want to spend an extra 1-2 hrs a day at a charger. Some are able, most are not.

Current EVs for atleast 50-75% of american's saves time/money especially in married households with kids. I do not know of a married household at my kids school where both parents drive out of town regularly. I would say 10% require hauling/regular long driving. 60% both are all local driving. 30% have a stay at home parent who just hauls for activities. Every single household I know would save money/time with an EV.

Debatable but I would guess 75+% of drivers would do fine 99% of the time with an EV. If you hate EVs/hate the politics/never EV person, great. The only thing impractical for the majority of Americans is upfront price which is going down esp with gov rebates making many lower than the avg vehicle.
fka ftc
If the case for EVs is so compelling to the consumer, then there is no need for government funded subsidies, rebates and mandates.

The more folks post here trying to explain how EVs are here to stay, EVs are the ultimate answer, EVs will be fine for 75% of the Country 99% of the time. That's all great info and supposition, but things that are supposed to be so great don't need a mandate.

See vaccines for recent example. Which is sort of ironic given the previous nomenclature of one of the chief champions of control - from vaccines to EVs,
Teslag
AG
For the past 3 years Tesla has posted record sales and moved record units with long waitlists and they had no federal tax credits to offer. The demand is there. The tax credits were handouts to the UAW.
Medaggie
I never said 75% would buy. I am saying 75% don't need much more than a commuter non towing truck. There is a big difference
fka ftc
Teslag said:

For the past 3 years Tesla has posted record sales and moved record units with long waitlists and they had no federal tax credits to offer. The demand is there. The tax credits were handouts to the UAW.
Great. Then immediately ban all EV subsidies and mandates and levy the proper road tax on EVs that will drastically increase the wear and tear on our roads is they propagate past my 25% prediction.

I know you tired argument of subsidies being a handout to the UAW. Fine. That does not excuse the rest of the issues with EV mandates and other tax breaks / subsidies.
Teslag
AG
I would have no problem with eliminating all tax credits and a road usage fee.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.