Motor Trend EV Road Trips are...Interesting... Their Words

12,050 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TxAggieBand85
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jja79 said:

I love fossil fuel so I'm genuinely curious. How long does it take to charge after a expending the battery?
I don't own a Tesla, though two of my coworkers do. Our CEO recently bought a Rivian (ugliest front end I've ever seen, but I digress).

Also, I work in Oil and Gas Completions monitoring, and we have a few other energy & mining related services,and there are EV's in our parking lot.

I looked up chargers on Tesla's website to get the number of chargers in Fort Stockton. I think a "typical" charge is 15 minutes. That's pretty much in line with a typical ICE fillup, go inside use the restroom, and maybe grab a water or snack, and get back on the road. Whomever said they can fill up their ICE and be gone in 3 minutes earlier in this thread must be driving a crotch rocket exclusively.

EPA limits gas pumps to 10gpm, most are closer to 5.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Teslag said:

The stations are owned by Tesla and interact with Tesla vehicles. It's not just the physical connection. It's also a massive competitive advantage for Tesla.
Isn't Tesla opening the network up to non-Tesla vehicles now? I thought I'd heard/read that somewhere.
Old_Ag_91
AG
rocky the dog said:

Rocky you make me spit my drink out every time. Haha. Thats amazing.
Old_Ag_91
AG
Jack Squat 83 said:

So…it's "jugging" when the bad guys follow you home from an ATM; what will the term be for following an EV till it runs out of juice and bopping those folks?

"Jolting"
Jack Squat 83
AG
Ha, I like it.

This point has undoubtedly been made, but for those wondering why so much hate and angst over EVs, IMO they represent yet another "thing " our government is doing to us. Look at states passing laws banning ICEs in the future. Sure we're in Tx but the overall distrust and fear(?) from the Feds is clearly represented by the onslaught of the EV push. There is no doubt these commie radicals would ban fossil fuels tomorrow if they could, America be dammed.

I think they're kinda cool and practical in some cases but don't make me buy one. Oh and the ground pollution from mining and disposal kinda makes the whole climate change BS a farce more or less.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
Kenneth_2003
AG
There are some revolutionary advances being made in recycling for LiIon batteries. Maybe not quite there yet but getting close.

Overall I'm all for them... WITHOUT the govt subsidies or having them pushed on me or others.
Old_Ag_91
AG
Absolutely agreed
Old_Ag_91
AG
Also agreed. Keep govt out. See how they do on their own.
Premium
AG
If you turn the lights down real low, EV looks attractive
Manhattan
If you have an F150 lightning you can power a coffee maker.
fka ftc
Manhattan said:

And recharge the truck whilst doing it! I knew you had this all figured out!!
XXXVII
Something I haven't seen discussed much regarding EVs is how much does it cost you to replace the battery when it no longer holds a charge long enough?

I remember back when hybrids were a big thing, it was something like $25k to replace the battery, and it wasn't covered under warranty. I can't image what it would be for a fully electric vehicle.
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
fka ftc
XXXVII said:

Something I haven't seen discussed much regarding EVs is how much does it cost you to replace the battery when it no longer holds a charge long enough?

I remember back when hybrids were a big thing, it was something like $25k to replace the battery, and it wasn't covered under warranty. I can't image what it would be for a fully electric vehicle.
  • 25,641 AA cells
  • Total Weight: 692 kg (1526 lbs)
  • Total Volume: 0.23 m^3 (8.06 ft^3)
XXXVII
fka ftc said:

XXXVII said:

• 25,641 AA cells

OK? Cost for that?
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
Teslag
AG
XXXVII said:

Battery replacement is covered by Tesla for 8 years / 125,000 miles but I'd never keep a car near that long anyway.
fka ftc
XXXVII said:

fka ftc said:

XXXVII said:

• 25,641 AA cells

OK? Cost for that?
Just under $7,000 plus wires, tape, containers. Only good for 1 trip under ideal conditions. Nothing to concern anyone.
Buzzy
Urban Ag said:

Hungry Ojos said:

Until there is a guaranteed range of at least 600 miles, on one charge, despite weather conditions, I think EV's are going to be utterly impractical for most. My biggest fear is my family being stranded somewhere when I'm not around. And since the range can fluctuate severely depending on the weather, it's impossible to plan a fool proof route.
I spent nearly 10 years commuting from Georgetown to Plano every other week. I learned early on that on I35E the last stop I would make was Red Oak. After that, not until the Galeria/Addison. I had to stop and get gas in DeSoto once and made a mental note to not do that again. I'm pretty anal about fuel and rarely let my rides get below half a tank but both my wife and my older son are terrible about running theirs down to E. For me it's not just about them getting stranded it's the "where".

And for this reason, I'm out.
Grow a pair.
Wild West Pimp Style
scd88
AG
A friend of mine in DFW bought a beautiful Volvo SUV EV not too long ago. In our line of work, we drive a lot - I've done about 3500 miles this month, but he does less as can stick to the DFW metroplex.

The next time I saw him (several months ago but not a year by any means) he wasn't driving the Volvo. Turns out the range took a major hit in the summer because of the heat. He could never get to what was advertised.

He swapped the Volvo for a Ram Hemi....even with gas at the prices we had last year.
tmaggies
AG
Teslag said:

Hungry Ojos said:

Until there is a guaranteed range of at least 600 miles, on one charge, despite weather conditions, I think EV's are going to be utterly impractical for most. My biggest fear is my family being stranded somewhere when I'm not around. And since the range can fluctuate severely depending on the weather, it's impossible to plan a fool proof route.
Most americans don't plan road trips, even summer vacation road trips, over 500 miles.

This American does and so does most of my friends and family.

BoerneGator
AG
Jack Squat 83 said:

Ha, I like it.

This point has undoubtedly been made, but for those wondering why so much hate and angst over EVs, IMO they represent yet another "thing " our government is doing to us. Look at states passing laws banning ICEs in the future. Sure we're in Tx but the overall distrust and fear(?) from the Feds is clearly represented by the onslaught of the EV push. There is no doubt these commie radicals would ban fossil fuels tomorrow if they could, America be dammed.

I think they're kinda cool and practical in some cases but don't make me buy one. Oh and the ground pollution from mining and disposal kinda makes the whole climate change BS a farce more or less.
Excellent post, but you forgot to mention the plethora of tax breaks and subsidies we ALL pay for, for the benefit of the few. That irks me no end.
YouBet
AG
StandUpforAmerica said:

I was on a recent business trips to Colorado. A couple of EV owners were talking about the issues they were having using their cars during some recent cold snaps. EVs may be the future, but they won't be dominant in my lifetime.
How old are you? EVs are being forced upon us. They will be dominant by 2030 at the latest if they don't break the grid by then.

If you are 90, you might be correct.
Old Sarge
AG
Internal Combustion Motor driven vehicles are superior to EVs, period. This will stand now, obviously, and for the foreseeable future. I'll not get into the dubious intents of the governments of the world to push EVs as that is a subject matter of a completely political nature RE: Control. However, it seems that the folks on this forum that push soooo hard for EVs must have stock in Tesla, or Chinese battery manufacturers, that they desperately hope to see Amazon like stock returns in their lifetime. I'm not saying they should sell the stock, because your Great, Great Grandchildren may profit wildly from it if Capitalism prevails. But the only way the current stock owners will make real riches is if the government continues to legislate us into these glorified golf carts (using an infrastructure of supply to power them that cannot even power homes on a regular basis).

This is why I continue to believe that those that push EVs so hard, are either outright or closet Leftists.
"Green" is the new RED.
BigRobSA
Manhattan said:

If you have a 1990s Lightning, you can do that. It's called an inverter.

YWIA
HollywoodBQ
AG
Teslag said:

For anyone that regularly takes road trips that are more than 700 or so miles I'd never recommend an EV
But 700 miles isn't the real threshold.

You've still got to solve "The Hangover" road trip to Vegas problem. 280 miles through the desert, nonstop at high speed. Plus another 20 miles driving around after you get there.

And you've still got to solve the Galveston to College Station - 14 hours on the road Hurricane evacuation problem.

Back in 2017, leaving Lake Tahoe after a six inch snowfall, driving a BMW X5 V8, took 10 hours to go 10 miles and burned less than a quarter tank of gas. Then it was another 5 hours on the road to Santa Clara. 15 hours, one tank of gas, no problem.

When those tasks are routine for an EV, they'd be worth a look.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Teslag said:

XXXVII said:

Battery replacement is covered by Tesla for 8 years / 125,000 miles but I'd never keep a car near that long anyway.
Are you bad at math, bad at finance or is the short vehicle lifespan just a luxury decision based on your gubmint income?

I've got three vehicles in my current stable at 3, 22 and 24 years with 38k, 150k and 237k miles on their respective odometers.

Can't imagine buying a vehicle with the intent that it wouldn't last 8y or 125k miles.
HollywoodBQ
AG
YouBet said:

StandUpforAmerica said:

I was on a recent business trips to Colorado. A couple of EV owners were talking about the issues they were having using their cars during some recent cold snaps. EVs may be the future, but they won't be dominant in my lifetime.
How old are you? EVs are being forced upon us. They will be dominant by 2030 at the latest if they don't break the grid by then.

If you are 90, you might be correct.
I've spent the past week in Puerto Rico and I've seen a handful of EVs.

The electric grid in PR is already broken and that's without any push to EVs.

At least Puerto Rico is smarter than California.
Secolobo
AG
Pretty enlightening podcast musk did with Rogan.
Preface it to say I'm not a fan of EVs.
Musk mentioned his cars were designed for an average commute distance they based the weight of the vehicle to a practical distance that might be traveled. Said with electric you never lose the weight like your do with fuel. Also more of an urban Vehicle needing charging station. Said his haul trucks with have a larger battery determined on average haul distance/hours permitted to drive. He doesn't overthink it for an occasional long trip.
Do know a guy that has to plan is trips around charging stations to corpus etc. has a kid at A&M and hates traveling to CS because he says they don't have any charging stations.
I kid him the petroleum engineering department lobbies for that.
nortex97
AG
fka ftc said:

XXXVII said:

fka ftc said:

XXXVII said:

• 25,641 AA cells

OK? Cost for that?
Just under $7,000 plus wires, tape, containers. Only good for 1 trip under ideal conditions. Nothing to concern anyone.
Think much closer to $25K. Seriously, that's what Ford is charging to replace the battery on the Lightnings if it is damaged/breaks outside of warranty. Tesla's are similar, and all will be much more in another 5 years of bidenflation. Look up the stories and $$$ at your leisure.
Teslag
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Teslag said:

XXXVII said:

Are you bad at math, bad at finance or is the short vehicle lifespan just a luxury decision based on your gubmint income?

I've got three vehicles in my current stable at 3, 22 and 24 years with 38k, 150k and 237k miles on their respective odometers.

Can't imagine buying a vehicle with the intent that it wouldn't last 8y or 125k miles.

Purely luxury. I want the newest and the best tech and will pay a premium to have it. I also have a 2021 Silverado diesel and am about to trade it for a 2023 in the same trim and color just because I want the mid cycle refresh and new dash layout.
nortex97
AG
Which is a funny/long winded way of trying to brag about eating depreciation on new vehicles for no reason other than the fun of it.

BTW, he also borrowed (some) money for his Tesla, per posts on this forum.

I'm reminded of some senior NCO's getting ridiculous new vehicles (had a 1SG get a brand new Pontiac bonneville top trim model and thinking it was the greatest thing ever.)
Teslag
AG
I always put 50% down minimum. The rest on both vehicles are financed at 1.75%. For the 23 I will be paying all cash with rates now over 5%. Later this year I may spring for the Model S Plaid to replace the Y.
Bird Poo
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

There are some revolutionary advances being made in recycling for LiIon batteries. Maybe not quite there yet but getting close.

Overall I'm all for them... WITHOUT the govt subsidies or having them pushed on me or others.

What company is leading the recycling advances?
nortex97
AG
Bird Poo said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

What company is leading the recycling advances?
None. There is PR/spin/lies and some outfits taking government money for working on it. There's no way to easily separate the cathodes/anodes etc. in the liquid/gel/adhesives in the batteries as they are wrapped up/glued/welded together. It's a fantasy for the non-engineering minds of the world to embrace.
Bird Poo
AG
I've purchased 3 used cars for my teens the last 4 years.

All had 100K miles. All Toyotas. I expect they'll put another 100K miles on them.

They do not take road trips or have charging infrastructure at their dorm or apartment. I cannot image the insurance payment.

EVs are clearly for the "privileged" in our society.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Bird Poo said:

I've purchased 3 used cars for my teens the last 4 years.

All had 100K miles. All Toyotas. I expect they'll put another 100K miles on them.

They do not take road trips or have charging infrastructure at their dorm or apartment. I cannot image the insurance payment.

EVs are clearly for the "privileged" in our society.
Absolutely

With the unique designs for most EVs, conspicuous consumption is also a huge factor in their appeal.

The Ford Lightning pickup is probably one of the only EVs where the casual observer can't differentiate between the EV and the ICE model.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.