Motor Trend EV Road Trips are...Interesting... Their Words

12,047 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TxAggieBand85
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There are superchagers all along I-10 (LA to Jacksonville) and every interstate

https://www.tesla.com/findus
Kenneth_2003
AG
Texasclipper said:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/road-tripping-in-our-long-term-electric-test-cars/

Just saw this on line and skimmed it. They mention that the Rivian now has a "camping mode" that only loses 4 miles of range per day when "shut off" instead of 16 (I think it was 16) that they previously experienced on one of their outings.

They also mention one road trip taking 2 hours longer in an EV than it would have in an IC vehicle. Lots of charging hassles mentioned and losing range due to the cold.

But they do try to put a positive spin on it referencing that some problems are due to the writer not having a home charger or a learning curve. But I'm shocked the mentioned the negatives at all.

Again, hard pass from me. Driving should not take this much logistics juggling, planning, and technical understanding. But I'm sure the EV lovers will be here to say its not that bad and all you need is a Tesla.
Don't really think MotorTrend has much if any agenda or a dog in the fight. They've always struck me as being very objective "about the car."
Teslag
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

When I pull into a gas station, I get a 100% full tank in about 3 minutes and I can drive 480 miles and not worry about cold, heat, ice etc.
Until they can compete with this...they're fighting an uphill battle to gain traction with anyone other than commuters.

Commuters who take road trips less than 500 miles makes up a majority of American vehicle owners.
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Got it. Thanks. At least they were prepared enough to know the distances between charging stations on the route.

I was wondering if they had gotten stranded somewhere but they did avoid that.

A Tesla will generally calculate charging for you so you dont have to think about it. For example, if I put houston in the on board nav system it will determine charging stops, duration at each stop, and preheat the battery before I arrive.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Got it. Thanks. At least they were prepared enough to know the distances between charging stations on the route.

A Tesla will generally calculate charging for you so you dont have to think about it. For example, if I put houston in the on board nav system it will determine charging stops, duration at each stop, and preheat the battery before I arrive.
Does that update in real time if a charging station is down or full? And is that only for Tesla chargers or for all types of chargers?
jja79
AG
How long does a full charge take? Let's say a guy finds the one in Fort Stockton and two other guys that just drove in from Houston are in front. Might he have to wait a significant time?
AgGrad99
AG
Teslag said:

AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

When I pull into a gas station, I get a 100% full tank in about 3 minutes and I can drive 480 miles and not worry about cold, heat, ice etc.
Until they can compete with this...they're fighting an uphill battle to gain traction with anyone other than commuters.

Commuters who take road trips less than 500 miles makes up a majority of American vehicle owners.
Not sure what you mean.

I commute daily...but I also drive distance fairly frequently....like most families I know.

Most people need both capabilities, which means an ICE makes more sense.
Kenneth_2003
AG
jja79 said:

How long does a full charge take? Let's say a guy finds the one in Fort Stockton and two other guys that just drove in from Houston are in front. Might he have to wait a significant time?
He'd pull straight in. There are 8 SuperChargers at the FlyingJ on I-10 in Fort Stockton.
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Does that update in real time if a charging station is down or full? And is that only for Tesla chargers or for all types of chargers?

Yes, updates in real time. It's only for Tesla chargers but if you're driving a Tesla why use anything else? The super chargers will be shown with a corresponding red number indicating how many stalls are free. In a year of owning a Tesla I have never once had to wait on a charger.
Teslag
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Teslag said:

AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

Not sure what you mean.

I commute daily...but I also drive distance fairly frequently....like most families I know.

Most people need both capabilities, which means an ICE makes more sense.

I mean that most drivers commute with their vehicles. 61.58% will plan on a summer road trip of less than 500 miles. About 50% will take a road trip of less than 250 miles per 2022 data. This board isn't a good representation of the typical American. Most live in cities, commute short distances, and don't go on long road trips.
AgGrad99
AG
Even if I take a road trip there hours away...for something like a kid's basketball tournament, I need to charge while there and likely on the way back. That's not easy, given most people dont go somwhere and plant it. They have a schedule to keep, things to see, activities to do....

No matter how you sell it, it's still a hurdle, that ICE vehicles dont have.
nortex97
AG
Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Yes, updates in real time. It's only for Tesla chargers but if you're driving a Tesla why use anything else? The super chargers will be shown with a corresponding red number indicating how many stalls are free. In a year of owning a Tesla I have never once had to wait on a charger.
You've also lamented that there is no ICE peer to your luxury performance SUV Tesla (for insurance cost comparison data), and that you almost never have had to even use a public charger as you use the one you installed yourself in the garage at home for a few pennies.

I think anyone who's read more than a few of your 'salute the Tesla' types of posts would be pretty confident you have a very positive view toward the utility/practicality/greatness of your car, for you. Some of us just disagree in our analyses, for ourselves, and even like the ubiquitous nature of gas stations for quick fill ups both locally and on road trips alike.
Teslag
AG
Quote:

You've also lamented that there is no ICE peer to your luxury performance SUV Tesla (for insurance cost comparison data

Lie. But that's how you roll on threads these days.
nortex97
AG
Teslag said:

Quote:

You've also lamented that there is no ICE peer to your luxury performance SUV Tesla (for insurance cost comparison data

Lie. But that's how you roll on threads these days.
What part of that is a lie? What analysis is available publicly of comparable insurance costs across classes of vehicles (ICE vs. BEV) which you haven't dismissed as 'wrong, not fair comparisons, anyone who accepts that is ignoring my vehicle which is so incredible as to be incomparable?'

If you're gonna just call me a liar I must respond with something along the lines of farcical fraud.
Teslag
AG
Because I clearly said there are peers. The BMW M series and Mercedes AMG's for starters. But you convienantly ignored that to make your point. As you usually do.
jja79
AG
I love fossil fuel so I'm genuinely curious. How long does it take to charge after a expending the battery?
Teslag
AG
Again, it depends.
c-jags
Quote:

Again, hard pass from me. Driving should not take this much logistics juggling, planning, and technical understanding. But I'm sure the EV lovers will be here to say its not that bad and all you need is a Tesla.

i'm all about the technology improving and advancing, but we looked at a LR Tesla for a trip to a wedding in Lincoln, NE a couple years back and we would have had to have stopped and charged in DFW, OKC, then sleep in Wichita and charge. Then, turn off the interstate to go a charger between Wichita and NE, get back on the interstate, make it to Lincoln and charge for the return trip.

And repeat.

i'm not knocking it. but it would have been an extra 5 hours each way. just not there yet.
jja79
AG
That doesn't sound like a good selling point. If he's used 90% of his battery should it be 5 minutes, an hour?
nortex97
AG
So, over $4500 bucks a year for a long range X with bidenflation probably taking it well north of $5K in the real world to insure. A BMW X60M costs around 60 percent of that per year.

So all of that whining and name calling, to just wind up agreeing with me. Typical. Go easy on your keyboard, Mr. Tesla.

Burrus86
AG
Texasclipper said:

But I'm shocked they mentioned the negatives at all.

Nice pun OP. I appreciated it!
2aggiesmom
Teslag said:

Hungry Ojos said:

Until there is a guaranteed range of at least 600 miles, on one charge, despite weather conditions, I think EV's are going to be utterly impractical for most. My biggest fear is my family being stranded somewhere when I'm not around. And since the range can fluctuate severely depending on the weather, it's impossible to plan a fool proof route.
Most americans don't plan road trips, even summer vacation road trips, over 500 miles.

We never go on a road trip under 500. Most of our trips are at least 900 miles. I grew up in Florida and almost all my friends and family live there. We always take our dogs so we drive. In laws lived in Tennessee, son lives in North Carolina. I think more people travel by car than you imagine, just because that is not your life style.
techno-ag
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

jja79 said:

He'd pull straight in. There are 8 SuperChargers at the FlyingJ on I-10 in Fort Stockton.
The Bucee's chargers stay very full. Wouldn't doubt people often have to wait, and then wait some more to charge.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Teslag
AG
jja79 said:

That doesn't sound like a good selling point. If he's used 90% of his battery should it be 5 minutes, an hour?

Depends on the charger
Teslag
AG
techno-ag said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

jja79 said:

The Bucee's chargers stay very full. Wouldn't doubt people often have to wait, and then wait some more to charge.

No they don't

Right now there are 44 stalls open at the Temple buccees. 22 in new braunfels. 12 in Hempstead, 23 in Madisonville.

You act like us Tesla owners aren't able to check this BS in real time
jja79
AG
Road trips are the best. I was sitting in a bar in Deming, NM a couple of weeks ago drinking beer and watching basketball with random people who ended up being from Maine, Rhode Island, Tennessee and Alberta. The road is long some days (Houston to Deming is a haul) but the next day rolling into Phoenix at 10:30 AM was nice. Not for everyone though I get it.
Teslag
AG
For anyone that regularly takes road trips that are more than 700 or so miles I'd never recommend an EV
boulderaggie
AG
Sorry for the stupid question, but how much does it cost to charge up at a station?
Manhattan
Would take about 1.5h or charging over three stops to go that far in a Model Y starting at 100% and charging 10-80%. Assuming you get 70% of EPA range driving 75mph. If you can turn it into 6 stops, you can make it 6 10 minute stops for a total of 1h charging if you charge 0-40% instead of 10-80%, faster but way more annoying.

Three half hour stops on a 10h drive, either that is a deal breaker or it's not, but it's not as bad as people make it unless you are a person who drives 500 miles and only stops once for 5 minutes.
Teslag
AG
It depends. For some it's free for life. For others it is scalable based on peak times. Roughly around 28 cents per kWh
schmellba99
AG
Gigem_94 said:

Rivian and all other non Tesla EVs don't have access to supercharger stations that can fully charge in about 20 minutes. They're relegated 3rd party chargers that take hours. That's the biggest difference between Tesla and others right now. Road-trips in Tesla's are no big deal if you stick to interstates where the superchargers are
This right here is just dumb. One would think the industry would get together and standardize the charging ports and stations so that it's like a gas station - doesn't matter the brand, they all work the same. Hell, you would think that with as hard as the feds are pushing and as much as they mandate sht on regular ICE vehicles, they would mandate this on EV's.

But they don't, and they don't.

Imagine buying a Ford and only being able to fill the gas tank at Ford specific gas stations because the gas nozzle and tank design were incompatible anywhere else.
Teslag
AG
The stations are owned by Tesla and interact with Tesla vehicles. It's not just the physical connection. It's also a massive competitive advantage for Tesla.
Jack Boyett
AG
I don't really understand all the hate for EVs. I think Honda Accords suck because I can't pull my gooseneck trailer with one. How much sense does that make?

Do you people only own 1 car? I've got an F250 for pulling stuff, a economic type car to commute in. My wife has a minivan for hauling around the whole crew. Plus I've got a couple other cars for no other reason than it's something I wanted. Corvettes are inconvenient in just about every way, but they still have a purpose. None of these cars can do everything. EVs are good for short trips and seems like they're pretty economical as far a fuel and maintenance goes. You guys point out EV's single biggest flaw and can't see past it.
fka ftc
Pretty sure Manhattan told us to pack an extra coffee maker to recharge the batteries and Teslag said that a lithium battery will burn for days if you get lost in the woods.

I may have gotten some details askew, but that was the jist of it.
jja79
AG
One vehicle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.