Motor Trend EV Road Trips are...Interesting... Their Words

12,073 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TxAggieBand85
Texasclipper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/road-tripping-in-our-long-term-electric-test-cars/

Just saw this on line and skimmed it. They mention that the Rivian now has a "camping mode" that only loses 4 miles of range per day when "shut off" instead of 16 (I think it was 16) that they previously experienced on one of their outings.

They also mention one road trip taking 2 hours longer in an EV than it would have in an IC vehicle. Lots of charging hassles mentioned and losing range due to the cold.

But they do try to put a positive spin on it referencing that some problems are due to the writer not having a home charger or a learning curve. But I'm shocked the mentioned the negatives at all.

Again, hard pass from me. Driving should not take this much logistics juggling, planning, and technical understanding. But I'm sure the EV lovers will be here to say its not that bad and all you need is a Tesla.
Teslag
AG
Long distance travel (greater than say 700 miles one way) in an EV sucks and there's no way to really sugar coat it.
akm91
AG
Teslag said:

Long distance travel (greater than say 700 miles one way) in an EV sucks and there's no way to really sugar coat it.
How long does it take to charge an EV these days from a charging station?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
StandUpforAmerica
I was on a recent business trips to Colorado. A couple of EV owners were talking about the issues they were having using their cars during some recent cold snaps. EVs may be the future, but they won't be dominant in my lifetime.
BDUB95
akm91 said:

Teslag said:

Depends on the vehicle and battery size. On a fast charger, it can take anywhere from 20-50 minutes to get an 80% charge.
Teslag
AG
akm91 said:

Teslag said:

Depends on various factors, mainly battery depletion level and type of charger. At a 250kwh super charger you can go from 10% to 80% or so in 15 to 20 minutes. If I'm driving to houston I'll charge to 100% the night before, then stop at buccees at lunch and by the time I grab something and take a piss I'm back at 80 to 90% in no time with charge to spare at destination.
Manhattan
Teslag said:

I know 1000kM is < 700mi but Teslabjorn has a video series showing how long it takes to go 620 miles on various EVs vs ice.

Some take 5h more, some take about 30m.
sleepybeagle
AG
How much energy is lost in the charging process? Just curious...
cypress-ag
AG
BDUB95 said:

akm91 said:

Teslag said:

Depends on the vehicle and battery size. On a fast charger, it can take anywhere from 20-50 minutes to get an 80% charge.
When I pull into a gas station, I get a 100% full tank in about 3 minutes and I can drive 480 miles and not worry about cold, heat, ice etc. Hard no to EV ever.
Teslag
AG
cypress-ag said:

BDUB95 said:

akm91 said:

Teslag said:

When I pull into a gas station, I get a 100% full tank in about 3 minutes and I can drive 480 miles and not worry about cold, heat, ice etc. Hard no to EV ever.

With kids I'm not stopping anywhere in 3 minutes. It takes them that long just to get out of the car.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Dimebag Darrell
Texasclipper said:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/road-tripping-in-our-long-term-electric-test-cars/

Just saw this on line and skimmed it. They mention that the Rivian now has a "camping mode" that only loses 4 miles of range per day when "shut off" instead of 16 (I think it was 16) that they previously experienced on one of their outings.

They also mention one road trip taking 2 hours longer in an EV than it would have in an IC vehicle. Lots of charging hassles mentioned and losing range due to the cold.

But they do try to put a positive spin on it referencing that some problems are due to the writer not having a home charger or a learning curve. But I'm shocked the mentioned the negatives at all.

Again, hard pass from me. Driving should not take this much logistics juggling, planning, and technical understanding. But I'm sure the EV lovers will be here to say its not that bad and all you need is a Tesla.
Yeah, F that. The most worry you should have on a road trip is making sure you fill up before driving long stretches with possibly zero gas stations or civilization...especially out in the desert. I remember back in the 80's my dad being careful to make sure we filled up when we could before traversing remote desert out west...think it was Death Valley. Wherever it was, it was seriously a looong way in between gas stations.
Hungry Ojos
Until there is a guaranteed range of at least 600 miles, on one charge, despite weather conditions, I think EV's are going to be utterly impractical for most. My biggest fear is my family being stranded somewhere when I'm not around. And since the range can fluctuate severely depending on the weather, it's impossible to plan a fool proof route.
Urban Ag
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Until there is a guaranteed range of at least 600 miles, on one charge, despite weather conditions, I think EV's are going to be utterly impractical for most. My biggest fear is my family being stranded somewhere when I'm not around. And since the range can fluctuate severely depending on the weather, it's impossible to plan a fool proof route.
I spent nearly 10 years commuting from Georgetown to Plano every other week. I learned early on that on I35E the last stop I would make was Red Oak. After that, not until the Galeria/Addison. I had to stop and get gas in DeSoto once and made a mental note to not do that again. I'm pretty anal about fuel and rarely let my rides get below half a tank but both my wife and my older son are terrible about running theirs down to E. For me it's not just about them getting stranded it's the "where".

And for this reason, I'm out.
Stinky T
AG
It could make sense to have an EV in a 2 car household, IF they were reasonably priced.

But in my household it would never make sense for both vehicles to be EVs. I do a lot of driving off road way deep in the boonies. No way I am doing that in a vehicle that can lose range just because.
Teslag
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Most americans don't plan road trips, even summer vacation road trips, over 500 miles.
BDUB95
Hungry Ojos said:

Well, if you believe in the progressive goal of 15-minute cities, then they don't want you to drive those 600 miles, because it harms the planet for you to be free.
Texasclipper
AG
BDUB95 said:

Hungry Ojos said:

Well, if you believe in the progressive goal of 15-minute cities, then they don't want you to drive those 600 miles, because it harms the planet for you to be free.
Yep, what better way to force all the folks moving to the country to get away from city crime back into the city than to legislate them into a specific type of vehicle that isn't capable of making the drive to town.
No Spin Ag
Hungry Ojos said:

I agree about the fear of being stranded. For right now, I can't see them being bought up by anyone that doesn't just do city miles and are unlikely never going to have to worry about charging anywhere but their garage.

To those that plan on using on a road trip, they should be smart enough to put thought into what it will entail.
Old McDonald
did a road trip caravan a couple years back, we were in an IC and other family was in an EV. miserable experience, we're still a ways away from EVs being viable road trip cars.

that said, no one is buying EVs as road trip vehicles right now, nor would anyone suggest you do
Little Rock Ag
AG
Mobility = Freedom

Progressivism =/= Freedom
aggiehawg
AG
Old McDonald said:

did a road trip caravan a couple years back, we were in an IC and other family was in an EV. miserable experience, we're still a ways away from EVs being viable road trip cars.

that said, no one is buying EVs as road trip vehicles right now, nor would anyone suggest you do
Care to share further details? What exactly made it miserable? Diversions to find charging stations? How long it took to charge?
BDUB95
Old McDonald said:

But the gov't you vote for is more than happy to push as hard as they can to force all of us into them whether viable or not.
AgDad121619
AG
Texasclipper said:

EV's are really only viable for urban and suburban dwellers that don't travel or don't need towing capacity.
A is A
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

If they get stranded, just bring them a can of electricity so they can make it to the next charging station. duh.
Old McDonald
aggiehawg said:

Old McDonald said:

Care to share further details? What exactly made it miserable? Diversions to find charging stations? How long it took to charge?
it was a long road trip, 20 hours conventional driving but ended up taking closer to 30. weather was cold so the EV range was less than normal, and our route didn't have many superchargers so most of the charging stops were at the slower 3rd party stations (took like 45 minutes on average each stop). plus, they were far enough apart (our route was all interstates but wasn't exactly through states with high EV ownership) that we had to stop at each one because skipping one meant running out of range before getting to the next one.

Gigem_94
AG
Rivian and all other non Tesla EVs don't have access to supercharger stations that can fully charge in about 20 minutes. They're relegated 3rd party chargers that take hours. That's the biggest difference between Tesla and others right now. Road-trips in Tesla's are no big deal if you stick to interstates where the superchargers are
Get Off My Lawn
AgDad121619 said:

Texasclipper said:

EV's are really only viable for urban and suburban dwellers that don't travel or don't need towing capacity.
or retirees for whom an excuse to plan extra stops is appealing / tolerable.

I'm coming to terms with the suburban nuclear family garage having an EV sedan and an ICE suburban.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

When I pull into a gas station, I get a 100% full tank in about 3 minutes and I can drive 480 miles and not worry about cold, heat, ice etc.
Until they can compete with this...they're fighting an uphill battle to gain traction with anyone other than commuters.
aggiehawg
AG
Got it. Thanks. At least they were prepared enough to know the distances between charging stations on the route.

I was wondering if they had gotten stranded somewhere but they did avoid that.
tk for tu juan
Gigem_94 said:

Rivian and all other non Tesla EVs don't have access to supercharger stations that can fully charge in about 20 minutes. They're relegated 3rd party chargers that take hours. That's the biggest difference between Tesla and others right now. Road-trips in Tesla's are no big deal if you stick to interstates where the superchargers are

The third party companies have DC fast chargers that charge at similar or faster rates compared to the Superchargers, so it is not taking hours. The issues with the third party chargers is inaccurate reporting on which chargers are working and/or trouble with the handshake initialization when connecting to the charger. That is the advantage Tesla has, working chargers that are easier to use.
Jack Squat 83
AG
So…it's "jugging" when the bad guys follow you home from an ATM; what will the term be for following an EV till it runs out of juice and bopping those folks?
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
Old McDonald
aggiehawg said:

Got it. Thanks. At least they were prepared enough to know the distances between charging stations on the route.

yep even with unexpectedly low temperatures and battery ranges, they at least never got stranded. the car's software (tesla) maps out the route and plans charging stops along it to prevent that from happening. in this case it adapted to the lower range and added more frequent stops.
jja79
AG
I drove Houston to Phoenix and back last week. I suspect an EV would have made it to Junction maybe. When I stopped in Fort Stockton I saw a couple of EV people looking for chargers. Good luck once you pass Las Cruces.
aggiehawg
AG
Old McDonald said:

aggiehawg said:

yep even with unexpectedly low temperatures and battery ranges, they at least never got stranded. the car's software (tesla) maps out the route and plans charging stops along it to prevent that from happening. in this case it adapted to the lower range and added more frequent stops.
Back in the old days when we would caravan down to South Padre or Florida, having a car break down on the trip was always a nightmare for everyone. Especially when it happened late at night on a two lane in the bowels of Louisiana on the return from Florida. We barely had enough left for gas money not to mention piling into one Motel Six room for the night. (Alternator failure.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.