Russia/Ukraine from Another Perspective (Relaunch Part Deux)

483,899 Views | 9116 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by nortex97
J. Walter Weatherman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sotero-Judges said:

J. Walter Weatherman said:

Sotero-Judges said:

One thing's for certain, the dissent by the dozens of posts every time a Ukrainian ship/large aircraft is lost wouldn't be tolerated on the war-pimp thread.

Oh, wait, the Ukrainians don't have any large airplanes/ships, and that thread is only for Ukrainian-Biden propaganda.

I'm sure staff will happily weigh in with any feedback they have, but I'm confident there would be no issue discussing a Ukrainian plane getting shot down given that it's a tactical (I.e not political) topic.

What wouldn't be welcome is tin foil WEF bio lab conspiracies and blaming the entirety of the war on literally everyone but the one person who started it. That's what this thread is for.
Sure thing, boss.

Quote:

I wonder if Ukraine knows that Russia only gets "stronger" when you destroy their military assets?
Quote:

So the big question is did those analysts on board see the incoming? How long did they have, and what do you think they conversed about?
Quote:

At the risk of de-railing this conversation...

The biggest challenge facing us today is that the military we have is great for basically every situation but one.

China.
Quote:

Jeez. That made quite the splash!
Yes, it's a very serious, adult conversation over there. Not war-pimping/cheerleading like it's a video game at all. Totally professional.

Flag away if you think the posts are inappropriate. Or you can email moderator@texags.com. I bet they'd welcome the feedback.
nortex97
AG
Brewskis said:

LOL.

What professional background do you have that gives you the expertise to state any of that?
LOL indeed. What…part do you disagree with. How is a Mainstay akin to an E-7, in mission, or capability. I'll hang up and listen.
notex
AG
nortex97 said:

Ag with kids said:

GAC06 said:

Those planes are old. They tricked Ukraine into using a valuable missile on it. Russia got stronger with that exchange
Multiplication by subtraction?

What strikes did those platforms help the Russians successfully defend against?
Was the theory that it is operating there to protect against cruise missile strikes of the Kerch bridge or Sevastopol?
Brewskis
AG
nortex97 said:

Brewskis said:

LOL.

What professional background do you have that gives you the expertise to state any of that?
LOL indeed. What…part do you disagree with. How is a Mainstay akin to an E-7, in mission, or capability. I'll hang up and listen.

Mission: Airborne Early Warning / Command and Control

Capability: Depends on the variant

Simple enough?
Teslag
AG
notex said:

nortex97 said:

Ag with kids said:

GAC06 said:

Those planes are old. They tricked Ukraine into using a valuable missile on it. Russia got stronger with that exchange
Multiplication by subtraction?

What strikes did those platforms help the Russians successfully defend against?
Was the theory that it is operating there to protect against cruise missile strikes of the Kerch bridge or Sevastopol?

Makes you wonder if it's a target of opportunity or if the Ukes have something planned for that bridge/area
nortex97
AG
Brewskis said:

nortex97 said:

Brewskis said:

LOL.

Mission: Airborne Early Warning / Command and Control

Capability: Depends on the variant

Simple enough?
So, you don't know, ok.

The E-3(D) is essentially 15 years newer electronically, than the Mainstay. The E-7 is 25+ years newer than that. If the Mainstay worked…remotely well, there would be a lot more than 2, or 7 or 9 or whatever in the air/service globally. It just has never has worked well. In practice/deployments, they can't actually refuel them even in the air.

The E-3's limit has been the 10 seconds to refresh when tracking a cruise missile…the mainstay probably needs even longer and is frankly comparatively just rubbish as a command/control platform. The E-7 is an order of magnitude more capable in both data collection/surveillance and communication/control.

While some may blast me as a 'Putin-fan' or whatever Ivan slur, the Russian air-based air defense assets have been…ineffective vs. the cruise missile strikes when the UAF has gotten them off. The ground based ones, ok, sometimes (why the Ukes have targeted smaller ports/facilities more of late). Comparing an A-50 mainstay to an E-7 is akin to comparing a MiG-21 to an F-35, because they are both fighters.
Brewskis
AG
But you didn't compare the A-50U to the E-7. Texags needs to know!

Damn man, you're the expert. Do you want my job?
nortex97
AG
Brewskis said:

But you didn't compare the A-50U to the E-7. Texags needs to know!

Damn man, you're the expert. Do you want my job?
I don't know what your job is. You seem to want to share it a lot. Reminds me of the guy at discount tire who is a car expert. (Not disparaging your service, of course).

I don't want your job, but I do think it's sad what is going on in Ukraine and that Russia will ramp up strikes over the next 72 hours. We'll see, I guess.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
When Putin speaks, we should listen. It is important to understand your enemies.
Brewskis
AG
I have stated my profession already. Perhaps look at a previous post. I simplified the answer to what roughly equates to losing an A-50 vs western air forces equivalents without getting into details most don't care about or understand. This discussion is dumb and not worthwhile, however the constant moving goal posts as to what signifies a large loss for Russian forces does not convince anyone outside of the echo chamber you live in of your point (or lack thereof).
nortex97
AG
I agree it's dumb to compare an A-50 to an E-7, just as much as it is to compare a MiG-21 to an F-35. Glad we agree. Some of these discussions remind me of when an E-4 or junior NCO (or even warrant officer) would claim to be an expert in all sorts of things, based on their depth of experience/insights.

Again, not a single war proponent 'dropping by' today with AEWC expertise has discussed what the A-50 does well.

Because it doesn't really do anything well. Just snarky cheerleading for one side shooting down a 'big plane' of the side they dislike, in Biden's proxy war.
Brewskis
AG
I was told if you achieve "Ace" status on DCS you get to wade in on internet conversations like this. I'll stick with making sick DCS YouTube videos. Apologies.
Ag with kids
AG
nortex97 said:

I agree it's dumb to compare an A-50 to an E-7, just as much as it is to compare a MiG-21 to an F-35. Glad we agree. Some of these discussions remind me of when an E-4 or junior NCO (or even warrant officer) would claim to be an expert in all sorts of things, based on their depth of experience/insights.

Again, not a single war proponent 'dropping by' today with AEWC expertise has discussed what the A-50 does well.

Because it doesn't really do anything well.
Just snarky cheerleading for one side shooting down a 'big plane' of the side they dislike, in Biden's proxy war.
Don't look at what it does well compared to what western equipment does well. That's just not fair.

You have to look at it from the perspective of Russia. It's one of the better things they have even though it sucks.

And they lost their sucky better thing.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
nortex97
AG

The WEF and EU are not happy with any of us for disagreeing with them about either global warming or the Biden proxy war in Ukraine.

The "good-guys;"

Evil enemy-of-mankind Putin, meanwhile, pointing out how China Joe won;

Maybe Roseanne Barr was right;

PlaneCrashGuy
AG

Me and the homies might be outliving Ukraine.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Lets not forget how we got here
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Me and the homies might be outliving Ukraine.

Or he could a stop his invasion….
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
What?
nortex97
AG
I really doubt that one, though.

This is very believable:
Quote:

Chinese Premier Li Qiang shot down Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky's request for a meeting at the World Economic Forum (WEF) gathering in Davos this week, Politico reported on Wednesday. Several days beforehand, Ukrainian official Andrey Yermak had said that talks with China would be essential to push Kiev's controversial "peace plan."

A senior US official told the news site that "Beijing rejected Kiev's request for a meeting at some point during their mutual Swiss visits," while another American official said that China has ruled out any "diplomatic encounters"with Ukraine at Russia's behest. A Ukrainian official claimed that no meeting between Li and Zelensky was ever planned, while the Chinese government refused to comment.

News of the apparent snub is a setback for Zelensky, after envoys from 83 countries gathered in the Alpine resort on Sunday to discuss Kiev's 10-point proposal to end the conflict in Ukraine. China did not send a representative to the talks, which ended without a joint communique being issued.
[url=https://www.rt.com/russia/590754-zelensky-davos-putin-grandchildren/][/url]
Speaking to reporters after the discussion concluded, Andrey Yermak, the head of Ukraine's presidential office, said that Kiev would "find ways to work with China" on the 'peace plan', before suggesting that Zelensky and Li would meet when the WEF's annual summit began the following day.
YouBet
AG
Thought I would share some notes from an investor call I was on yesterday. Guest speakers were Sir Nick Carter (former UK SecDef) and Robert Gates who were asked to comment on a variety of geopolitical events.

Nothing groundbreaking overall however note the bold below that highlights the duplicity of Europe and why we need to abandon their ass to their own devices. To their credit, both Carter and Gates called out this hypocrisy.

Nick Carter
  • Still predicting stalemate and doesn't think Ukraine can mount an offensive.
  • Thinks Russia has the advantage but doesn't think they can make decisive gains.
  • Questions Ukraine's strategy and everything depends on western funding and patience.
  • Doesn't think negotiations will happen in 2024 due to US elections. Thinks Putin has the strategic advantage, currently.
  • Eu countries (especially Germany) have massively increased exports to Krygyzstan and other Russian satellites to get around rules against trading directly with Russia. A chart posted showed EU exports increasing from ~$5-10B per year from 2008 to 2022 and skyrocketing to $75B in 2023 to Russian satellites.

Robert Gates
  • EU must step up on defense and do more for Ukraine and fund their own defense much more. Example given: Germany can only fight for 2 days if they had to.
  • US running up against limitations on our own military resources to give.
  • Majority of Congress supports Ukraine but procedurally challenging to pass.
  • Cornyn saying that Congress only has one opportunity to fund Ukraine in 2024.
  • Israel is a welcome distraction for Putin.
  • Russia has all the strategic advantage at this point. Putin's demands are: 4 provinces of Donbas, Crimea, regime change in Kiev, and Ukraine not in NATO.
nortex97
AG
Thx. I saw a tweet this am with Russian trucks lined up in Kazakhstan and apparently they do the old 'change the label to say it was made here' trick at will/freely, going into the EU. I suspect the sanctions are just for public show mostly at this point.

Quote:

• Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, held his annual briefing on Thursday in Moscow. In the near three-hour long news conference, he said Russia's "special military operation" in Ukraine had "brought about a certain purification of [Russian] society" and made it "healthier". He also said Russia "can no longer trust the west".
  • Ukraine will not decide on conditions to end the conflict as "Washingtonis calling the shots" said Lavrov at his annual briefing in Moscow. On the security cooperation agreement recently announced by the UK and Ukraine, Lavrov called it a "half-baked product" containing no "legally binding agreements". He added that not the "slightest interest" has been shown by the US and other western nations in ending the war.
  • Lavrov claimed the US and other western countries were being surpassed by "emerging and strengthening centres of economic growth, financial power and political influence", although he was not specific about which countries. Lavrov also said Russia's relations with China were at "their best period in history".

PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Very informative. Thank you for sharing.
Aggie1205
AG
Wasn't one if the reasons for the special military operation to take out the Nazis there? Why isn't that listed as a demand?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Wasn't one if the reasons for the special military operation to take out the Nazis there? Why isn't that listed as a demand?

Look again

"Regime change in Kiev"
nortex97
AG

Quote:

The mistake that most analysts at the time made (these authors included), was to assume that since the troops mobilized by Russia did not suffice for a full scale occupation of Ukraine, no military operation, not even a limited one, was in the offing. It was only later that Western political leaders turned this mistake to their propaganda advantage by insisting that Russia had always intended to first take Kiev, then all of Ukraine, and ultimately even attack NATO.

But if basic military logic is taken into account, the fact that Putin committed only 120,000190,000 men to his campaign and did not mobilize more resources until months later, after Kiev rejected the Istanbul peace deal, indicates that his objectives in Ukraine were limited and revolved around guaranteeing the security of the populations of Donbass and Crimea from Ukrainian assaults and Russia from NATO expansion. Given that Ukraine had cut off Crimea's water and electricity years before, this required a land bridge to the region; hence, the illegal annexations of the Kherson and Zaporozhye regions.

We also have indirect confirmation that territory was not his objective from an unimpeachable source: NATO General Secretary Jens Stoltenberg, who stated that Putin invaded Ukraine to prevent NATO's expansion. This would explain why, as soon as these goals were within reach when Ukrainian officials initialed the draft of the Istanbul Agreement in March 2022, Putin halted his assault and withdrew Russian forces from Kiev, rather than move further into Ukraine.

This background is important, because the argument for increasing Western military support for Ukraine relies so heavily on the claim that Russia always intended to expand further, attack NATO, and reestablish the Russian empire.

But, as noted scholar John Mearsheimer has pointed out, "there is no evidence in the public record that Putin was contemplating, much less intending to put an end to Ukraine as an independent state and make it part of greater Russia when he sent his troops into Ukraine on February 24th." It was never one of Putin's stated goals, nor was it ever taken seriously by the Ukrainian leadership. David Arakhamia, the head of Ukraine's negotiating team in Belarus and Istanbul, recently revealed that the "key point" for Russia was Ukraine not joining NATO, and "everything else was simply rhetoric and political 'seasoning.'"

Is the Biden proxy war for nato expansion really worth it? No.

nortex97
AG
Russia prepares for major offensive?

Quote:

As the temperature drops and the ground in Ukraine eventually freezes over the coming weeks, according to Insitute for the Study of War (ISW) there is growing speculation that the Russian military will launch a new offensive specifically targeting the eastern and southern regions. The situation is marked by a complex intersection of strategic objectives and environmental challenges.

The Russian military's primary objective in Eastern Ukraine is twofold: first, to capture the remaining territories of Luhansk Oblast while extending their control westward into the eastern parts of Kharkiv Oblast and the northern regions of Donetsk Oblast; second, to secure complete control over Donetsk Oblast. These efforts are reflective of Russia's broader strategy to consolidate its influence over the contested Donbas region.

Ukrainian forces, adopting a strategy of active defense, engage in smaller yet strategically significant counterattacks, aimed at maintaining persistent pressure on Russian advancements. This approach seems to be focused on gradually eroding the Russian military's capabilities, despite Russia's large advantage in manpower.

The ISW's analysis indicates a probable shortfall in Russia's ability to realize significant operational breakthroughs, despite potential intensification of their offensive operations. Factors such as the limited number of Russian military personnel at the frontline, adequate for localized tactical maneuvers but insufficient for substantial operational achievements, and the adverse impact of severe winter conditions on military activities, including the functionality of artillery and drone systems, contribute to this assessment.

LMCane
nortex97 said:

Because it doesn't really do anything well. Just snarky cheerleading for one side shooting down a 'big plane' of the side they dislike, in Biden's proxy war.
it did just cost the Russkies an additional $300 million in losses

that's not "nothing"
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
"No ability to mount an offensive"
PlaneCrashGuy
AG

Thermal scopes looking like a video game
nortex97
AG
LMCane said:

nortex97 said:

it did just cost the Russkies an additional $300 million in losses

that's not "nothing"
According to war proponent math that was already spent, old money/asset that had been depreciated. Something, sure, but the replacement aircraft (if even built) would also pour more money/jobs into the economy. Crazy logic, yes, but we have to respect/be consistent with the 'reasoning', right?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
"Thats just book value of old equipment"
P.U.T.U
AG
Issue is I don't think they are building the A-50 anymore as they are focusing on the A-100 which appears to have a cost from $700 million to $1 billion each. The A-100 also requires high speed processing chips that Russia can't build and sanctions are slowing them down from getting them.
PA24
AG
some of these articles...Q sent me type stuff.

Lloyd is dead?
First Page Last Page
Page 158 of 261

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.