Russia/Ukraine from Another Perspective (Relaunch Part Deux)

476,855 Views | 9113 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by nortex97
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nortex97 said:

GAC06 said:

Quote:

ex-Wehrmacht tank

A tank from 1945?
Sorry, Bundeswehr, my bad (sincerely).

It's not clear that it was actually a Leopard 2 or not that was destroyed, might have been an AMX or something, perhaps propaganda. German armor has not historically faired well in "Ukraine" during the summer though.

Russian intelligence/surveillance I guess is improving (it had been relatively pathetic, down to a few outdated 'spy' sats):

Quote:

On March 12, 2023, Russia's Proton-M rocket launched the Olymp-K-2 military satellite, also known as Luch-5X, from Site 200/39 at Baikonur Cosmodrome. The Olymp-K satellites are Russian geostationary satellites built for the Russian Ministry of Defense and the Russian intelligence agency FSB.

On November 2, 2022, Russia launched a Soyuz rocket carrying a military satellite into space, also with 3 inspector satellites.

On August 1, 2022, a Russian satellite, dubbed Kosmos 2558, was launched on a Russian Soyuz-2.1v rocket. It is apparently destined for life as a spy satellite, and its current orbital path could soon place it in proximity to what is reported to be the spy satellite designated USA-326.

On October 21, 2022, Russia launched two more classified military satellites to orbit. Also, there are 4 other satellites aimed at Earth observation that could be of a dual-use.

Nope, it was farm equipment.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russia-blows-up-farm-equipment-claims-theyre-leopard-tanks

Quote:

The Russian Ministry of Defense has released a video that it says shows Ukrainian armored vehicles, including at least one German-made Leopard tank, being destroyed. However, the footage, which appears to have been shot via the targeting system on a Ka-52 Alligator attack helicopter, shows anti-tank guided missiles being fired on civilian farming equipment. This would not be the first time Russian officials have tried to pass off sloppy propaganda like this.
nortex97
AG
Maybe. I will step out of character for a moment and theorize that this won't wind up being that big a deal, given 30 or 120 days hindsight.

Regardless of who/how/why the damn 'broke' it is apparently 'just' the top and it will take a week or more to drop the whole reservoir 15 centimeters or some American amount. Maybe the rest is saved. I'm dubious much of the 'breadbasket' of Ukraine let alone the nuclear plant (which shouldn't need all that much water to idle) will become lost/dangerous etc.

As with Nordstream we won't get a simple admission of guilt/complicity, and 'both' sides will keep believing what they want.

In any case, deep fake emergency broadcasts, propaganda, subterfuge, intentional natural disasters/infrastructure strikes, drones, AI, this was is proving to be quite the testing ground for a future conflict, even if it's economic impact globally is again tremendous/outsized vs. the contested battlefields themselves.

Meanwhile, the 'world powers' barrel forward toward a wider conflict/crisis.
Ag with kids
AG
nortex97 said:

I really have no idea at all which side might have finished off the dam. The Ukrainians had released headwaters to weaken it and reports of floating demolition mines hitting it, as well as RPG's but none of them look credible. The UN Security Council meeting will pit Russia vs. all comers I suppose as 'you did it' though I'd speculate China will play it generally neutral.

Quote:

UN chief says Ukraine dam burst 'a consequence' of Russia's invasion

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United Nations does not have any independent information on how a Ukrainian dam burst, U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on Tuesday, describing it as "another devastating consequence of the Russian invasion of Ukraine."

"Attacks against civilians and critical civilian infrastructure must stop. We must act to ensure accountability and respect for international humanitarian law," Guterres told reporters.

A torrent of water burst through a massive dam on the Dnipro River that separates Russian and Ukrainian forces in southern Ukraine, flooding a swathe of the war zone and forcing villagers to flee.

Ukraine and Russia have both asked the U.N. Security Council to meet to discuss the dam. Ukraine accused Russia of an "ecological and technological act of terrorism", while Russia described it as an "act of sabotage carried out by Ukraine", according to the requests seen by Reuters.

Guterres said it was a "monumental humanitarian, economic and ecological catastrophe."

"At least 16,000 people have already lost their homes - with safe and clean drinking water supplies at risk for many thousands more," he said, adding that the United Nations was coordinating with the Ukrainian government to send support including drinking water and water purification tablets. .
The wild card would be demands in Moscow now that Russians go forward with substantially wiping out the Ukrainian power grid (and distribution lines to Eastern Europe they nominally export energy via).

None of this is good/fun news, imho.
And none of that news would be happening if Russia would have stayed the **** out of Ukraine...

But, here we are...
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Don't carry water for Nazi's. Stack them like sandbags.
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
nortex97
AG
Interesting issue for Carston Tucker to break cover on….

Teslag
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Don't carry water for Nazi's. Stack them like sandbags.

I'm sure this sounds good in your head. But keep repeating literal Russian taking points.
notex
AG
"The other" thread is entirely based on newspaper reports (mainly from reporters in Kiev hotels), blogs, tweets, etc, but this one which is not just 'tactical and strategic updates' must provide intelligence/actual official communications, right?
J. Walter Weatherman
notex said:

"The other" thread is entirely based on newspaper reports (mainly from reporters in Kiev hotels), blogs, tweets, etc, but this one which is not just 'tactical and strategic updates' must provide intelligence/actual official communications, right?

Yes the other thread has legitimate sources, and a lot of time verified reports of what's happening on the ground via footage and satellite shots. You'll have to forgive me for doubting the legitimacy of a random substack blogger who claims to have an inside line to both the White House and Zelenskyy's inner circle.
nortex97
AG

Oh sure but Joe Biden is leading American foreign policy soundly in the sort-of proxy war vs. Russia. No reason at all to be skeptical.
nortex97
AG
Morning, comrades.

Larry Johnson has an interesting commentary about the…events of the past 48 hours.

Quote:

After months of promising to strike a blow ostensibly to push Russia back to its original border Ukraine is on the March and, as expected, is suffering massive losses in men and materiel. And the losses are going to get worse. Russia already is claiming it killed almost 4,000 Ukrainian soldiers in a 48 hour period. The reasons for Ukraine's impending failure are pretty simple. First, Ukraine does not have the trained manpower to muster 300,000 combat ready troops required to seriously threaten the Russians. Second, the troops that comprise the assault brigades have received different training from different countries (e.g., the U.S., the U.K., France and Poland) and have not been trained to operate as an army on the move. Third, Ukraine lacks the tanks, mobile artillery and close air support from fixed and rotary winged aircraft required to sustain an offensive beyond a week. Fourth, Ukraine lacks a viable air defense system and cannot stop Russian aircraft from pounding relentlessly Ukrainian supply lines and storage depots.

Quote:

Ukraine's inability to defeat Russia on the battlefield and the accompanying destruction of almost a billion dollars in recently donated Western military equipment is likely to provoke a political upheaval in Kiev. I think Zelensky's days are numbered. He is on a path eerily similar to Adolf Hitler's demise in the bunker below the Reichstag as Soviet troops closed in.

When the post-mortem is finally done on Ukraine I think we will learn that Russian intelligence out-classed anything that Ukraine was provided by its Western allies. It appears that no one in the West has any good sources inside the Russian military command. Russia, however, has significant sources inside the Ukrainian General Staff, military intelligence and NATO and knows Ukraine's plans and order of battle. Like a good poker player, Russia is not tipping its hand and is bidding its time in deciding when and how to strike. Right now the Ukrainian troops trying to advance on Russian defensive lines are being torn to pieces. Stay tuned.
Not as detailed as simplicius' account detailing which cannon fodder units are being fed/where, but accurate, net.

Shoigu's speech I won't embed (it's at the link above) but it's of note that he usually doesn't go on camera as such and the Russians usually don't report both their own and estimates of Ukrainian losses. I don't believe the totals, yet at the same time the ratio's may not be far off. Russian news/propaganda:

Quote:

Meanwhile, yesterday all Russian news outlets gave primary attention to a speech by Minister of Defense Sergei Shoigu in which he set out in detail the results on the battlefield over the previous three days of fierce engagement of Russian and Ukrainian military forces along several points of the line of confrontation, in particular in southern Donetsk. This is a summary of his report in today's Fontanka.ru :

In the words of the minister, on 4 June the 23rd and 31st mechanized brigades of the Armed Forces of Ukraine undertook an attempted attack in five areas but did not achieve success in any of them. On 5 June, the Ukrainian army attempted an attack in seven areas deploying the forces of five brigades. Shoigu stated that the attempted attacks were stopped, 'and the enemy did not achieve his objectives while bearing considerable and incomparable losses.'

As Shoigu reported, over the course of three days of military action in all areas Ukraine lost up to 3715 soldiers, 52 tanks, 207 armored vehicles, 134 automobiles, 5 airplanes, 2 helicopters, 48 field artillery pieces and 53 drones.

The minister also named the losses of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation: in the course of repelling the attack 71 soldiers died and 210 were wounded. They lost 15 tanks, 9 troop carriers, 2 automobiles and 9 artillery pieces.

As the host of the Evening with Vladimir Solovyov talk show remarked last night, this is the first time in the armed conflict that the Russians have officially reported the losses of both sides. Comparing directly the 71 Russian soldiers who died with the 3715 Ukrainians said to have lost their lives tells the whole story of the way the Ukrainian "counter-offensive" is playing out. This is a massacre…

Not a gotcha at all: child trafficking is real from the war zone.

Once again, the Biden crime family/syndicate have been intricately involved with Ukraine, Russian billionaires, and human trafficking for many years:

ravingfans
AG
A little comic relief perhaps?

...back to the war
nortex97
AG
Ah, Delaware, the FBI, Ukraine bribery, and the Bidens. What a world.

fka ftc
Starting to think Zelensky is the paid FBI informant. Give it to him, that man can work the grift.

Only thing that is giving me pause is the part where the information comes from a reliable source. The only thing reliable about Zelensky are lies and corruption.
TXAggie2011
AG
ravingfans said:

A little comic relief perhaps?

...back to the war

That's fantastic
nortex97
AG
I could see it.

Quote:

This week, a Ukrainian report came out that 8.6 million left the country, only 9 million are working, excluding civil servants, this is 6-7 million of the working population. And they must support more than 20 million pensioners and others.
I haven't seen that report, though again the Uke gov't has declared the population a classified state secret. Curious if it is true/where it was so reported.

Zelensky's cabal is in a hopeless position, and unless rumors of a "Nuland Surprise" to bring Nato into combat are true, they are just going through the feckless/cynical motions to string this along further this summer.

They've apparently taken some tree lines between open fields:

Quote:

Using the scale at the bottom right of the map we can tell that the sole total 'progress' of the Ukrainian forces on the upper left was about two kilometers deep on a four kilometer wide front. They conquered two tree lines between open fields. Not one settlement of farm was 'liberated' by those forces.
Teslag
AG
A year and a half after Kiev was supposed to be occupied in 4 days, Zelensky is now in a "hopeless position"
fka ftc
Teslag said:

A year and a half after Kiev was supposed to be occupied in 4 days, Zelensky is now in a "hopeless position"
Great news he is not in a hopeless position then. Which means, of course, he does not need our weaponry nor unlimited bank card to keep those pesky Rooskies at bay.

If he has it all under control, why is he constantly peddling his drivel around the globe asking for more funds for he and his buddies?
Teslag
AG
Because not all the Russians in Ukraine are bleeding and dying yet. He kept the flies out of his house. Now he needs to get them out of the yard.
fka ftc

Quote:

Teslag said: not all the Russians</b> in Ukraine <b>are bleeding and dying yet</b>. He kept the flies out of his house. Now he needs to get them out of the yard.

Flagged for continual calls for genocide. I really think that calling for the indiscriminate extermination of folks based on their ethnicity was generally frowned upon around here. Guess not.

[Don't add to the clutter by quoting and posting that a post is flagged. Just flag it and if enough posters do it the post will get seen and removed if it is considered a violation of the rules of the site or the thread. -Staff]
J. Walter Weatherman
fka ftc said:

Teslag said:

Because not all the Russians in Ukraine are bleeding and dying yet. He kept the flies out of his house. Now he needs to get them out of the yard.
Flagged for continual calls for genocide. I really think that calling for the indiscriminate extermination of folks based on their ethnicity was generally frowned upon around here. Guess not.

Killing invading troops =\= genocide. They are free to surrender or Putin can end the war whenever he would like to.
Teslag
AG
J. Walter Weatherman said:

fka ftc said:

Teslag said:

Killing invading troops =\= genocide. They are free to surrender or Putin can end the war whenever he would like to.

You don't remember when we committed genocide on all those german and japanese troops in WW2?
fka ftc
Teslag said:

fka ftc said:

Teslag said:

You don't remember when we committed genocide on all those german and japanese troops in WW2?
You seem to fail to ever differentiate between Russian citizens and Russian soldiers.

So you supported the Japanese and German internment camps in the US during WW2 and suggest we should have gone into those camps, made those people bleed and stacked them bodies high as you and Lindsay suggest?

Solid approach there. But it seems to be acceptable to support killing of civilians so it stands.

To me, your position is disgusting and promotes hate and violence of folks based on their ethnicity and country of origin. I guess as long as it is in line with the established narrative / position, its not against the rules.
TXAggie2011
AG
It is pretty clear he was referring to getting the rest of the Russian soldiers out of Ukraine. You're really putting a lot of words in his mouth.
fka ftc
TXAggie2011 said:

It is pretty clear he was referring to getting the rest of the Russian soldiers out of Ukraine. You're really putting a lot of words in his mouth.
Its not clear at all. Not putting words in anyone's mouth. When you fail to differentiate, thats on you, not me.

I think calling for the indiscriminate slaughter of people based on their country of origin to be abhorrent. But if you support it, feel free to star their post.
Ag with kids
AG
fka ftc said:

Teslag said:

fka ftc said:

Teslag said:

You seem to fail to ever differentiate between Russian citizens and Russian soldiers.

So you supported the Japanese and German internment camps in the US during WW2 and suggest we should have gone into those camps, made those people bleed and stacked them bodies high as you and Lindsay suggest?

Solid approach there. But it seems to be acceptable to support killing of civilians so it stands.

To me, your position is disgusting and promotes hate and violence of folks based on their ethnicity and country of origin. I guess as long as it is in line with the established narrative / position, its not against the rules.
I guess I shouldn't bring up Dresden, Hiroshima or Nagasaki, right now, should I?
fka ftc
Zelensky can equally end the war. Hell, Biden can as well. But the money is just soooo easy and feels so good!

Genocide is wrong and should not be called for or supported.
fka ftc
Ag with kids said:

I guess I shouldn't bring up Dresden, Hiroshima or Nagasaki, right now, should I?
Great. Let's nuke Eastern Ukraine and save everyone a lot of time and money. I would actually support that.
nortex97
AG
Not worth it.
GAC06
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Lets nuke eastern Ukraine

I award you extra points for the high difficulty level of your mental gymnastics but you didn't stick the dismount
Teslag
AG
fka ftc said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Its not clear at all. Not putting words in anyone's mouth. When you fail to differentiate, thats on you, not me.

I think calling for the indiscriminate slaughter of people based on their country of origin to be abhorrent. But if you support it, feel free to star their post.

I am referring only to the Russian invaders, and not civilians. Every Russian troop in Ukraine should be slaughtered.
fka ftc
GAC06 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Lets nuke eastern Ukraine

I award you extra points for the high difficulty level of your mental gymnastics but you didn't stick the dismount
Learned the art of hypocrisy from fellow posters, particularly when it comes to things like endless wars in Eastern European countries and folks who change their MySpace profiles to have a blue & yellow overlay.

Supporting the most corrupt regime in the most corrupt former Soviet state at any and all costs requires mental gymnastics that far exceed my minimal skills you praise as difficult.

BTW - I am not the one that beget the comparison to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Some other person did.
fka ftc
Teslag said:

fka ftc said:

TXAggie2011 said:

I am referring only to the Russian invaders, and not civilians. Every Russian troop in Ukraine should be slaughtered.
Particularly the conscripted ones who are there against their own will. Those especially should be killed... I mean "slaughtered".

Calling for indiscriminate violence is a poor look no matter how you try to now spin it. Just own it.
Ag with kids
AG
fka ftc said:

Ag with kids said:

Great. Let's nuke Eastern Ukraine and save everyone a lot of time and money. I would actually support that.
We ALL know you would...
Teslag
AG
Killing invading Russian soldiers = bad

Killing millions of civilians with a nuke = good
fka ftc
Teslag said:

Killing invading Russian soldiers = bad

Killing millions of civilians with a nuke = good
Again, I did not make the comparison to nukes. And I specifically said Eastern Ukraine, where most civilians have left and has the highest concentration of Russian troops. But don't let that get in the way of your spinning.
First Page Last Page
Page 38 of 261

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.