Russia/Ukraine from Another Perspective (Relaunch Part Deux)

370,289 Views | 8276 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Ags4DaWin
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texagbeliever said:

Signel said:

I'm ok with a slow proxy using Ukraine as the shield of the west. It depletes our enemy and allows us to reduce their risk to the west without actually fighting.

So you are cool with Ukrainians dying and the rest being subject to poverty and economic ruin? The longer this war draws on the more damaging it is to Ukraine's long term culture and ability to be a stable nation.

Guess you don't have e a problem ignoring the holomodor, another benevolent act by the Russians on the Ukranians. See, they remember, that's why they fight.

That's why all the former eastern Block countries joined NATO. They remember being under the rule of the Russians/Soviets. I'm baffled why people can't understand this.
aTm '99
oh no
AG
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
The fanbois cannot understand what's happening. "But we put up flags! We contributed to the protected thread!"

This thing has flipped so quick lol. It took like 5 years for American to turn on the Vietnam war, but here we are a year later.
Waffledynamics
AG
oh no said:

This is a demonstrably false statement by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

Here is one link, but you can find many others.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2022/jun/08/sergey-lavrov/russian-has-not-been-banned-ukraine-despite-repeat/
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
And there he is! Bout time.
Waffledynamics
AG
CM Trump Voter said:

The fanbois cannot understand what's happening. "But we put up flags! We contributed to the protected thread!"

This thing has flipped so quick lol. It took like 5 years for American to turn on the Vietnam war, but here we are a year later.
It's almost as if active Russian information warfare is being applied on the West in a much more quickly evolving information environment (the internet), and that environment wasn't around during the Vietnam War.

Y'all are obsessed with virtue signaling that nobody on this board is even supporting.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
No. We are just done with your endless wars. We are done with Americans dying only to enrich liars and the military industrial complex.
Waffledynamics
AG
CM Trump Voter said:

No. We are just done with your endless wars.
Nobody here wants an endless war, so you and I are in agreement that endless war is not the objective.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
You're just a pawn in their game, brah
texagbeliever
AlaskanAg99 said:

texagbeliever said:

Signel said:

I'm ok with a slow proxy using Ukraine as the shield of the west. It depletes our enemy and allows us to reduce their risk to the west without actually fighting.

So you are cool with Ukrainians dying and the rest being subject to poverty and economic ruin? The longer this war draws on the more damaging it is to Ukraine's long term culture and ability to be a stable nation.

Guess you don't have e a problem ignoring the holomodor, another benevolent act by the Russians on the Ukranians. See, they remember, that's why they fight.

That's why all the former eastern Block countries joined NATO. They remember being under the rule of the Russians/Soviets. I'm baffled why people can't understand this.

See I am of the mindset of the USA wants to use this as a proxy war then we better be all out in it. That includes economic warfare. Instead our progressive overlords are crippling oil and gas. doj has that juiced up noose charge.

The USA could strong play to a reasonable truce. Right now Russia caught the west with their pants down (progressive leadership) and as such are in too strong a position to not gain something. For Ukraine that might just be half their country.
Ag with kids
AG
CM Trump Voter said:

Yeah until the bear has been poked enough and lays a thermonuclear warhead in the middle of your mega church during the laser light show.
I don't think Putin wants to die in a fiery death...which would happen about 28 min after the first Russian missiles launched.

And he better hope his nukes work better than his conventional weapons...
oh no
AG
Waffledynamics said:

oh no said:

This is a demonstrably false statement by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2022/jun/08/sergey-lavrov/russian-has-not-been-banned-ukraine-despite-repeat/
my grandmother was born and raised in Kiev and spoke Russian and considered herself Russian, but I've already been corrected several times by the Ukrainian experts on texags on how she was wrong. Thanks for the politifact link though.
Waffledynamics
AG
oh no said:

Waffledynamics said:

oh no said:

my grandmother was born and raised in Kiev and spoke Russian and considered herself Russian, but I've already been corrected several times by the Ukrainian experts on texags on how she was wrong. Thanks for the politifact link though.
Congrats! The Russian language still isn't banned, per everything I can find that isn't blatant Russian propaganda like statements from Lavrov.
oh no
AG
I just tried alphabet and duck duck go searches and there are dozens of links about laws for Russian language no longer being taught in schools in Ukraine.
Whirligigs
For as much as an absolute joke Russia is - so far they seem to be stemming the tide. However keep the meat grinder going - both combatants are not our friend.
Brewskis
AG
nortex97 said:

Brewskis said:

Americans picking sides in a tragic human conflict where there is clearly an aggressor, on the basis of run-of-the mill party politics (and associated corruption that has always been present in the US 2-party system) is about the most ridiculous thing I've seen in my 36 years of living.
The problem is that our senile, duplicitous, treasonous leader is picking a side, with ridiculous demands, in said conflict, at huge expense to all sides.

You might see more things, if you look.

Literally any argument that the anti-Ukraine/pro-peace groups choose, financial or otherwise, can almost be cut and pasted from the anti-lend lease camp's argument in the late 1930s against aide to European Allies.

The arguments are no more valid now than they were then.
TXAggie2011
AG
oh no said:

I just tried alphabet and duck duck go searches and there are dozens of links about laws for Russian language no longer being taught in schools in Ukraine.

Ukraine passed a law in 2012 ensuring Russian could be taught in schools in regions where 10% or more of the population spoke Russian. They repealed it right after Russia invaded in 2014.

Policy about Russian has further tightened since February 2022.

I think there are valid concerns about the issue but most of the restrictions followed Russian aggression, not precipitated Russian aggression.

Restrictions have also affected many other languages beyond Russian. It's a complex issue that has to do with a nation trying to rebuild its identity…after decades of Soviet rule from Moscow.

What helped make Russian so prevalent in Crimea? Moscow shipping the Tartars to Uzbekistan.
nortex97
AG
Again this is difficult to really get to the crux of the issue as there is a lot of propaganda from both sides on it. Ultimately, if you look to sources from pre-2014, it is clear that Ukrainian cities predominantly Russian was spoken, even in Kiev, in jobs/academics/professionally.

Crimea is critical to Russia for industrial (energy) and naval base reasons, no way they just give up the deep water port they have. Many don't realize the very real sensitivities over Crimea (as in, the Franco-British invasion centuries ago) or why that matters to them, first and foremost. It's ridiculous to claim it, or the Donbas is worth this loss of lives/treasure to Ukraine or anyone else;

The use of sacrificial penal battalions is horrible.

Some of the older folks remaining just want the fighting over with, one way or the other, no doubt;

The risk of having an angry actor/politician trying to dictate military strategies/decisions is…well obvious. Just ask afghan's.

Ulysses90
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

oh no said:

Ukraine passed a law in 2012 ensuring Russian could be taught in schools in regions where 10% or more of the population spoke Russian. They repealed it right after Russia invaded in 2014.

Policy about Russian has further tightened since February 2022.

I think there are valid concerns about the issue but most of the restrictions followed Russian aggression, not precipitated Russian aggression.

Restrictions have also affected many other languages beyond Russian. It's a complex issue that has to do with a nation trying to rebuild its identity…after decades of Soviet rule from Moscow.

What helped make Russian so prevalent in Crimea? Moscow shipping the Tartars to Uzbekistan.

One of my clients is a Ukrainian from Kharkiv and an immigrant to Australia. He was in college in Australia when the Soviet Union collapsed. He speaks only Russian (an accented English) because in eastern Ukraine under the Soviet Union it was illegal teach or speak Ukrainian in the schools. He speaks Russian as his native language but despises the nation Russia that murders civilians under the auspices of "defending" those who "speak Russian at home." From his perspective, that claim is equivalent to a batterer husband claiming a protective interest over the battered wife.
nortex97
AG

Never change, CNN, never change…
texagbeliever
I remember 3 months ago when Ukraine was about to win the war. When I pointed out it was just Russia consolidating and taking up an easier position for the winter I was ridiculed. And now that winter has passed the spring appears to be uncoiling. So predictable.
benchmark
AG
texagbeliever said:

I remember 3 months ago when Ukraine was about to win the war. When I pointed out it was just Russia consolidating and taking up an easier position for the winter I was ridiculed. And now that winter has passed the spring appears to be uncoiling. So predictable.
Oh yeah, Russia's 6 day tactical retreat from Kherson, Izyum, and Lyman before winter was a stroke of military genius. No doubt. Good call.
YouBet
AG
Read that WSJ article over the weekend about Wagner and the penal troops and its pretty horrific.
texagbeliever
Thanks!
Ag with kids
AG
YouBet said:

Read that WSJ article over the weekend about Wagner and the penal troops and its pretty horrific.
Russia has long had a policy of "we have more bodies than you have bullets"...
YouBet
AG
Ag with kids said:

YouBet said:

I know but it's pretty gruesome to read that the penal soldiers are murdered by Wagner's "signature" move of a sledgehammer to the skull if they come back from the front lines.
Ag with kids
AG
YouBet said:

Ag with kids said:

YouBet said:

I know but it's pretty gruesome to read that the penal soldiers are murdered by Wagner's "signature" move of a sledgehammer to the skull if they come back from the front lines.
Damn...hadn't seen that.

Those ****ers are sick.
nortex97
AG
I don't understand this Georgia any more than I do our own, but it sounds like their president is basically pro-Russia and that this legislation about foreign lobbyists favors Putin somehow.

Kinda wild to read about.

Good article from Foreign Affairs as to Russia's maximalist rhetoric and sort of halfway actions domestically;

Quote:

Yet many of these moves have been considerably less severe in practice than they seem on paper. In Ukraine, despite increasing attacks on civilian areas, Russia has held back from using its full arsenal. And although Putin has done much to tighten his grip on Russian society in the year since the invasion, many of his most far-reaching domestic measures have been incompletely implemented. Again and again, the Kremlin has stopped short of total militarization and total mobilizationwhether of the economy or of society at large.

By many indications, this partial approach to total war is not haphazard, nor is it simply the result of failed execution. Instead, Russia appears to be pursuing a deliberate strategy aimed at both the West and its own population. By staking out a maximalist stance on the war, the Kremlin can suggest to the West that it is prepared to do whatever it takes to win in Ukraine, without necessarily having to make good on its threats. At home, meanwhile, the Russian government can convey to ordinary Russians that it has the option of tightening the screws further, but that it is not going out of its way to alienate the population. In both cases, the strategy offers Putin an open path toward further escalation, but without the immediate costs.

SELECTIVE CENSORSHIP, NARROW NATIONALIZATION

Since the opening weeks of the invasion in February 2022, the Kremlin's calibrated actions have often defied its total-war rhetoric. Consider how the government has sought to manage Russian society. Almost immediately, the military offensive was followed by a frontal attack on Russia's independent media and civil society. In March, the popular liberal radio station Ekho Moskvy and the independent newspaper Novaya Gazeta were shut down; journalists were forced into exile; and draconian new censorship laws were introduced. Most important, the government took aim at social media, apparently seeking to silence any circulation of independent information about the war.

Yet the measures were oddly incomplete. The Russian authorities swiftly outlawed and blocked Facebook, as well as some other platforms, including Instagram. For years, Facebook had been known for being one of the only online spaces where liberal Russians could talk freely about politics; unsurprisingly, the government designated Facebook as a company that conducted "extremist activities." Many social media users took this step to mean that even logging in to Facebook might lead to criminal prosecution, and thousands of people deleted the Facebook app from their smartphones in case they were stopped by police and their phones searched. But enforcement never followed. Even more striking was the selective nature of the social media crackdown. The government has not censored YouTube or Telegram, the messaging app, which are two of the most popular platforms in Russia. Instead, they have been allowed to flourish, and become even more important, as the war has progressed.

A similar pattern has unfolded with Putin's economic policies.…
nortex97
AG
Teslag
AG
texagbeliever said:

Ukraine took Kherson, Kharkiv, and pushed the Russians out of major areas and now that they are about to take a strategically insignificant town of 5,000 people they are turning the tide?

Really?
ABATTBQ11
AG
texagbeliever said:

They lost thousands of square miles and have finally taken a city they've been throwing men at since like August/September.
nortex97
AG
Meanwhile, a bit further south, we are approaching 20 years of direct military involvement to 'help' Iraq.

But that was W's fault. This time, under Biden, it's gonna be so different!
texagbeliever
Wars are rarely, maybe never won by forcing the opponent to retreat onto his line of supply. It merely serves to augment the forces defense while the attacker is thinned out.

Orwell writes about how intelligistas have this tendency to think the current trajectory is the trajectory of the future. The inability to imagine change is probably the biggest blindspot in most people. This plays out on this thread when certain posters latch on to the current thing and can't even discuss a change. Just like with covid.
Teslag
AG
nortex97 said:

Meanwhile, a bit further south, we are approaching 20 years of direct military involvement to 'help' Iraq.

But that was W's fault. This time, under Biden, it's gonna be so different!

The bulk of that military force is in Erbil as a check against the Iranians to east and ISIS and/or russian backed Syrians in the west. We are there purely because of the Kurds wanting us there.
nortex97
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 237

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.