Russia/Ukraine from Another Perspective (Relaunch Part Deux)

484,813 Views | 9120 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by YouBet
John Armfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Teslag said:

Careful. Staff doesn't take kindly to cross posting on threads and calling out posters and it's how we get the thread locked again.
didnt call poster out and kept my response off that thread because staff deemed thats not the place for that type of discussion thank you hall monitor.
John Armfield
nortex97 said:

John Armfield said:

Pulled this delusional post from the other thread...UKE fan boys been saying this for 2 years now and Russia keeps fighting. pure propaganda.
Quote:

Quote:

They are losing a reinforced battalion A DAY in men and equipment. No military can sustain that today and continue to function effectively for very long.

Their capabilities will continue to degrade as they continue to lose and body of trained and experienced veterans to wasteful attrition, though I am sure they do concentrate some of those on special units that are effective.

I dunno what the point of such an assertion would be, as the ISW/British intelligence teen team of keyboard fighters themselves concluded Russia is recruiting/training/replacing at more than a 1:1 rate for KIA/injuries, and rotating forces as well last week. When ISW points that out, even when couched in some other talking points, it's pretty damning.
yep exaclty can't belive they are still running this talking point
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
John Armfield said:

Pulled this delusional post from the other thread...UKE fan boys been saying this for 2 years now and Russia keeps fighting. pure propaganda.

Quote:

Quote:

They are losing a reinforced battalion A DAY in men and equipment. No military can sustain that today and continue to function effectively for very long.

Their capabilities will continue to degrade as they continue to lose and body of trained and experienced veterans to wasteful attrition, though I am sure they do concentrate some of those on special units that are effective.

A simple rule of thumb I've developed that is true more than not, Everything Ukelele fan boys think they are doing to Russia is what Russia is actually doing to Ukraine.
Teslag
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

John Armfield said:

Quote:

Quote:

A simple rule of thumb I've developed that is true more than not, Everything Ukelele fan boys think they are doing to Russia is what Russia is actually doing to Ukraine.

You're correct. Everyone thinks Ukraine is in a stalemate with Russia and that's exactly what Russia is in with Ukraine.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

John Armfield said:

Quote:

Quote:

You're correct. Everyone thinks Ukraine is in a stalemate with Russia and that's exactly what Russia is in with Ukraine.

My rule applies better to Uke attrition, but I know you have nothing else to hold onto, so I wont bother you while you cope.
John Armfield
Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

John Armfield said:

Quote:

Quote:

isnt UKE goal complete removal of Russia from Crimera and UKE proper? /well were waiting gif
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
In before "existence is victory"
nortex97
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

John Armfield said:

Quote:

Quote:

My rule applies better to Uke attrition, but I know you have nothing else to hold onto, so I wont bother you while you cope.
It was only a few months ago that the HMFIC said it was not a stalemate;

Quote:

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has warned that a stalemate in his country's war against Russia would create a "volcano that is sleeping but will definitely wake up."
"We cannot afford any stalemate," Zelenskyy told African journalists in Kyiv on Wednesday. "If we want to end the war, we must end it. End with respect so that the whole world knows that whoever came, captured, and killed, is responsible."
According to the Ukrainian president, if the war becomes a stalemate, future generations of Ukrainians will have to fight, because Russia "will come again if it is not put in its place."
Zelenskyy's comments came two weeks after General Valery Zaluzhny, commander in chief of the Ukrainian military, told The Economist that the war had "reached the level of technology that puts us into a stalemate."
Zelenskyy admitted that the situation on the battlefield remains very difficult but said he does not believe that the war has reached a stalemate. He emphasized that Ukraine will not negotiate with Russia until it completely withdraws from Ukrainian territories.
Then he fired the (competent) general for admitting it was a stalemate. Now it is still a stalemate, as Russia advances?

Everything is fine, it's basically gonna be Disneyland in a year or two.

Teslag
AG
John Armfield said:

Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

John Armfield said:

Quote:

Quote:

isnt UKE goal complete removal of Russia from Crimera and UKE proper? /well were waiting gif

That is Ukraine's pipe dream. Just like Russia's pipe dream of ever reaching Kiev or taking all of Ukraine. Which is their goal.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Igor does not at all sound convinced that we've depleted Russia

docb
AG
Just curious why you want Russia to win so badly?
nortex97
AG
docb said:

Just curious why you want Russia to win so badly?
I know you aren't asking me, but I respect the question/your history here. I think for me I don't want to 'see Russia win' so much as I don't want to see America/my dollars go toward the destruction of Ukraine in a vain attempt to 'defend' something (which doesn't actually exist).

I don't understand why, accepting arguendo it is so critical, it should be sacrificed at the altar of continued open borders for America's own invasion though.

Finally, I don't see how/why I should trust Victoria Nuland and Joe Biden to lead such a foreign war/regime, against a nuclear foe, or why it should be prolonged further given the economic damage it has caused to our own economy and more significantly Europe's.

And, I don't trust the parties pushing the war at all with respect to their motivation or honesty.

Seriously, I posted it this am but the Dave Smith video halfway through that one hour podcast is worth listening to. Around 20 minutes or so;

And finally, I think the guys in Kiev/Banderites/Nuland forces are at least just as bad as the ones in/from Moscow. I find cheering for the former somewhat disgusting, given our information warfare of propaganda today, where they are blasted out as freedom fighters contra all common sense wide and far.
GAC06
AG
Quote:

where they are blasted out as freedom fighters contra all common sense wide and far.

People fighting to defend their country from a foreign invasion are about as close to literal "freedom fighters" as can be found.
nortex97
AG
GAC06 said:

Quote:

where they are blasted out as freedom fighters contra all common sense wide and far.

People fighting to defend their country from a foreign invasion are about as close to literal "freedom fighters" as can be found.
Sure.

Then why are they out of military age males and forced to use middle age/elderly etc now? What are your thoughts on the demographic impact on Ukraine by this war so far?
GAC06
AG
I think they should defend their country from invasion and subjugation. What are your thoughts on Russian conscription? On using prisoners as cannon fodder? What do you think of Russia's demographic problem?

Trying to portray Ukraine as the "bad guys" for defending their country while consistently refusing to find fault with Russia is disgusting and reprehensible. You and yours should at least admit what you want to happen. It's not "peace", it's a Russian conquest.
nortex97
AG
GAC06 said:

I think they should defend their country from invasion and subjugation. What are your thoughts on Russian conscription? On using prisoners as cannon fodder? What do you think of Russia's demographic problem?

Trying to portray Ukraine as the "bad guys" for defending their country while consistently refusing to find fault with Russia is disgusting and reprehensible. You and yours should at least admit what you want to happen. It's not "peace", it's a Russian conquest.
I think offering parole based on conscripted military service to prisoners is…meh. I don't know what they were sentenced to or what the terms of the contracts were/are. I don't think it's common now either for the RU forces.

On the flip side of your second point, as to the 'bad guys' I think it's reprehensible to depict the Ukrainians as 'good guys' unless it can be shown how they are, as such. And I don't think we need to stoop to looking to propaganda videos about young men in trenches etc.

That's really where we disagree, imho. I believe in objective analyses of the leadership and said leadership's motivation. Your inestimable faith in Biden-Nuland-Zelensky "against" Putin and his cronies (who have grown wealthier in all this) is noted, and I won't question its passion. I question its moral basis, and thirst to support more forcibly conscripted young/old/elderly/infirm Ukrainians (and Russians) to their death over…something. The Donbas. Freedom. Nato. Democracy. It must be something you passionately believe in, I know, I just think it is a misplaced belief.

The phrase "Russian conquest" means very little to me because I have no similar lust for a "Ukrainian deracination," and zero real concern for who controls the Donbas/donest oblasks etc. Were I to have one, the first contingent condition to such a concern would be that people like Victoria Nuland have nothing to do with it.
Teslag
AG
nortex97 said:

GAC06 said:

Quote:

Sure.

Then why are they out of military age males and forced to use middle age/elderly etc now? What are your thoughts on the demographic impact on Ukraine by this war so far?

How do know what's happening in the video matches what is described?
GAC06
AG
I never said I have any faith in Biden or Zelenskyy. I do think Ukraine has every right and in fact, obligation to defend themselves from Russia's expansionism.

I'm glad they punched Russia in the face and humiliated them in their failed initial invasion. I hope they continue to keep Russia at bay, and at a total 2+ year cost of a fraction of one year's defense spending (much of it book value of crap we don't need), and zero American lives… it's been a bargain.
Teslag
AG
Without quoting ANY Russian sources, what percents of the Ukrainian military is made up of conscripts?
Teslag
AG
GAC06 said:

I never said I have any faith in Biden or Zelenskyy. I do think Ukraine has every right and in fact, obligation to defend themselves from Russia's expansionism.

I'm glad they punched Russia in the face and humiliated them in their failed initial invasion. I hope they continue to keep Russia at bay, and at a total 2+ year cost of a fraction of one year's defense spending (much of it book value of crap we don't need), and zero American lives… it's been a bargain.

What's always fascinated me is how Nortex can never ever cast a single negative light on Putin or Russia, despite their actions everywhere, not just Ukraine.
GAC06
AG
Never anything negative about Russia, but never an actual declaration of support, because he knows who he's backing. Sad.
nortex97
AG
GAC06 said:

Ok.

But this is a simplistic outlook/analyses, as such.

Talk about 'rights' as though 2022 happened in a vacuum is a problem in our dialog/discourse in America about the war. Some will tap dance/prance/snark about 'unprovoked' and 'defensive treaty' etc. but it is just that silliness which ignores the stuff I posted, again, this evening. Putin and the Russians did everything possible to indicate what their red line was and it was ignored and mocked. I don't blame them as such for responding as threatened. Willful ignorance to the history and provocation doesn't make the act in response right, but it does question the moral imperative to support a…destructive war among the Ukrainian people for some notion of 'freedom' let alone democracy. Frankly, that's the absurdity I most see as worthy of disdain/mockery.

And if it's zero American lives, I guess I misread some of the lamentations about the 'hero's' killed in service to Ukraine's regime. Those Americans, some in pretty pictures of marine dress blues…just don't count. But, I don't consider Ukrainian or Russian lives killed in some war of pride to also be a 'bargain.' In fact, looking upon one ethnicity or another being sent to death as a joyful cause is…disgusting.

But you do you. Forever war, comrade!
nortex97
AG
GAC06 said:

Never anything negative about Russia, but never an actual declaration of support, because he knows who he's backing. Sad.
Why do I have a burden to say bad things about Russia? I have, actually, cited lamentable/contemptible war crimes in this thread but that gets buried.

I think there is a place to cheer lead Ukraine at all times. This just isn't it, I suppose. Another perspective worth considering;
[url=https://tass.com/politics/1755357][/url]
Quote:

Regarding the assessment of the situation in and around our country, one gets a strong impression that there is some kind of unhealthy affectation in Washington in that respect. In your article which is, in fact, a policy essay Russia is represented as the product of a bizarre mixture of Anglo-Saxon caricatures and nightmares, looking absolutely clichd and flat. Moreover, the Americans are always trying to project their own foreign policy attitudes onto Moscow. This is particularly clear in the example of the conflict in Ukraine.

Crossing, I emphasize that, all the boundaries of diplomatic decency, you, Mr.Burns, attribute some kind of "fixation on Ukraine" to Russia and the Russian president. Wasn't it the American political scientist Zbigniew Brzezinski who once stated, "Without Ukraine Russia ceases to be an empire, but with Ukraine… Russia automatically becomes an empire"? Neither our president, nor anyone in the leadership of the Russian Federation, I'll stress it, has ever made such statements.

George Friedman, who is well-known in intelligence circles, pointed out, that Ukraine "represents the minimal security buffer Russia had to have in order to absorb western attacks". Weren't you, Mr. Burns, the one who claimed in an interview for PBS in June, 2017, that, I quote, Ukraine is "the reddest of red lines" for Russia? In your book "The Back Channel: A Memoir of American Diplomacy and the Case for its Renewal" published in 2019, you yourself admitted that the US - literally "made a serious strategic mistake" by pushing for NATO membership for Ukraine and Georgia, despite Russia's deep historical ties to both states and strong protestations of Moscow.

Taking into account the above said, it appears that "fixation on controlling Ukraine" exists primarily in the White House. And it stems, in its turn, from Washington's "fixation" on greatpowerness and globalism. Based on that, the US started to tear this ill-fated post-Soviet republic away from Russia, from the Russian Orthodox Church, pump the country with western weapons, send military instructors there, launch de-Russification process and brainwash the population with nationalist propaganda. Let's be honest, the Russophobic clique in Kyiv is a brainchild of Washington's deliberate policy of turning Ukraine into an anti-Russian beachhead in Europe. And the United States will be held responsible for that.

On the contrary, Russian leadership proceeds from the need to prevent a split in the Russian world, because for us, it is not just an abstraction or a slogan. It is our land, faith and history, the fate line running through the heart of every Russian family, connecting the past, the present and the future. The special military operation is our natural defensive reaction to aggressive attempts of the US to create right at our borders, in our sister state a hostile regime, that builds its identity on hatred to all that is Russian.

The White House believes that Moscow "miscalculated", having launched the special military operation, and predicts a bleak future for us. In response I'd like to tell the Americans: take a look around! The US is mired down in impunity, corruption and civil strife.
Endless flows of migrants storm the southern borders of the United States. And many of them aren't Latin Americans at all, they come from regions that fell victim to the neo-imperialist wars unleashed by Washington. Yemeni Houthis shatter the freedom of global trade which the Anglo-Saxon hegemony is based on. The vaunted Euro-Atlantic unity rests solely upon the system built after the end of the World War II a system of strict subordination of the West European establishment to the will of their overseas "defender" against the intensively fueled first Soviet, then Russian threat. But despite the well-oiled propaganda machine, it is getting increasingly harder for politicians to explain to the population why they have to bear all the hardships and privations related to the Ukrainian conflict in the name of elites' geopolitical aspirations. Just like it was at the feast at Babylonian King Belshazzar's house, a hand is writing in Aramaic on the wall of the White House: "Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin. God has numbered your kingdom, and finished it. You have been weighed in the balances, and found wanting." (Daniel 5: 25-27) No reasoning, shifting responsibility and labeling are able to change this state of affairs.

Mr. Director of the CIA, your reasoning is a striking combination of cynicism, neo-imperialism, and detachment from international realities. While recognizing the need to take into account the historical, revolutionary nature of the changes taking place in the world ("that come along only a few times each century"), you refuse to notice the main direction of these transformations and insist on making Washington's wishful thinking look like an actual reality. It seems that the CIA, obsessed with the task of restoring at all costs the U.S. ability to "enjoy uncontested primacy," despite all that has been said, is increasingly unable to keep up with the times.

If the published article is a "propaganda pamphlet," then you, as Director of the CIA, should not have taken authorship of it and placed it in a respectable magazine. The best thing would be to hand it out as a flier on the subway or scatter it in the air over the territory of enemies (and allies) of the US. If this is a claim to a thorough and comprehensive analysis, there is not a hint of it. One can see that without Brzezinski and Kissinger, the US strategic thinking is gone. However, I don't rule out the possibility that you, Mr. Burns, believe that the Democratic administration is living out its last months, and seek to secure your place in the history of the Central Intelligence Agency by presenting your own failures and blunders as achievements and clever traps. (I should note that wherever you came on a "mission" - to Afghanistan, Russia or Ukraine - after your visit the situation there started to develop in a direction being far from favorable for the strategic interests of the United States).

If my impression is correct, and your article, Mr. Burns, is in some sense a farewell one, I can only wish you good luck in your future work. All that matters is that work should contribute to peace and stability in the world.
I mean, yeah, that part is true.
Teslag
AG
Because if you were truly the proponent of peace and less death in this world, Russia is one of the last nations you should be defending. But you do, without fail. They can simply do no wrong. Which is odd given their support for Iran and Hamas by extension and you are adamantly pro Israel on another thread (as you should be).

Russia is aligned with Iran, North Korea, and China. And those are not our friends. And they do not stand for good in this world.
John Armfield
Teslag said:

John Armfield said:

Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

John Armfield said:

Quote:

Quote:

That is Ukraine's pipe dream. Just like Russia's pipe dream of ever reaching Kiev or taking all of Ukraine. Which is their goal.
IF western aid stops its not a pipe dream for Russia at some it will stop
GAC06
AG
Quote:

I think there is a place to cheer lead Ukraine at all times.

The tactical updates thread? You post there too, but only to cheerlead Russia
GAC06
AG
nortex97 said:

GAC06 said:

Why do I have a burden to say bad things about Russia? I have, actually, cited lamentable/contemptible war crimes in this thread but that gets buried.

I think there is a place to cheer lead Ukraine at all times. This just isn't it, I suppose. Another perspective worth considering;
[url=https://tass.com/politics/1755357][/url]
Quote:

Regarding the assessment of the situation in and around our country, one gets a strong impression that there is some kind of unhealthy affectation in Washington in that respect. In your article which is, in fact, a policy essay Russia is represented as the product of a bizarre mixture of Anglo-Saxon caricatures and nightmares, looking absolutely clichd and flat. Moreover, the Americans are always trying to project their own foreign policy attitudes onto Moscow. This is particularly clear in the example of the conflict in Ukraine.

Crossing, I emphasize that, all the boundaries of diplomatic decency, you, Mr.Burns, attribute some kind of "fixation on Ukraine" to Russia and the Russian president. Wasn't it the American political scientist Zbigniew Brzezinski who once stated, "Without Ukraine Russia ceases to be an empire, but with Ukraine… Russia automatically becomes an empire"? Neither our president, nor anyone in the leadership of the Russian Federation, I'll stress it, has ever made such statements.

George Friedman, who is well-known in intelligence circles, pointed out, that Ukraine "represents the minimal security buffer Russia had to have in order to absorb western attacks". Weren't you, Mr. Burns, the one who claimed in an interview for PBS in June, 2017, that, I quote, Ukraine is "the reddest of red lines" for Russia? In your book "The Back Channel: A Memoir of American Diplomacy and the Case for its Renewal" published in 2019, you yourself admitted that the US - literally "made a serious strategic mistake" by pushing for NATO membership for Ukraine and Georgia, despite Russia's deep historical ties to both states and strong protestations of Moscow.

Taking into account the above said, it appears that "fixation on controlling Ukraine" exists primarily in the White House. And it stems, in its turn, from Washington's "fixation" on greatpowerness and globalism. Based on that, the US started to tear this ill-fated post-Soviet republic away from Russia, from the Russian Orthodox Church, pump the country with western weapons, send military instructors there, launch de-Russification process and brainwash the population with nationalist propaganda. Let's be honest, the Russophobic clique in Kyiv is a brainchild of Washington's deliberate policy of turning Ukraine into an anti-Russian beachhead in Europe. And the United States will be held responsible for that.

On the contrary, Russian leadership proceeds from the need to prevent a split in the Russian world, because for us, it is not just an abstraction or a slogan. It is our land, faith and history, the fate line running through the heart of every Russian family, connecting the past, the present and the future. The special military operation is our natural defensive reaction to aggressive attempts of the US to create right at our borders, in our sister state a hostile regime, that builds its identity on hatred to all that is Russian.

The White House believes that Moscow "miscalculated", having launched the special military operation, and predicts a bleak future for us. In response I'd like to tell the Americans: take a look around! The US is mired down in impunity, corruption and civil strife.
Endless flows of migrants storm the southern borders of the United States. And many of them aren't Latin Americans at all, they come from regions that fell victim to the neo-imperialist wars unleashed by Washington. Yemeni Houthis shatter the freedom of global trade which the Anglo-Saxon hegemony is based on. The vaunted Euro-Atlantic unity rests solely upon the system built after the end of the World War II a system of strict subordination of the West European establishment to the will of their overseas "defender" against the intensively fueled first Soviet, then Russian threat. But despite the well-oiled propaganda machine, it is getting increasingly harder for politicians to explain to the population why they have to bear all the hardships and privations related to the Ukrainian conflict in the name of elites' geopolitical aspirations. Just like it was at the feast at Babylonian King Belshazzar's house, a hand is writing in Aramaic on the wall of the White House: "Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin. God has numbered your kingdom, and finished it. You have been weighed in the balances, and found wanting." (Daniel 5: 25-27) No reasoning, shifting responsibility and labeling are able to change this state of affairs.

Mr. Director of the CIA, your reasoning is a striking combination of cynicism, neo-imperialism, and detachment from international realities. While recognizing the need to take into account the historical, revolutionary nature of the changes taking place in the world ("that come along only a few times each century"), you refuse to notice the main direction of these transformations and insist on making Washington's wishful thinking look like an actual reality. It seems that the CIA, obsessed with the task of restoring at all costs the U.S. ability to "enjoy uncontested primacy," despite all that has been said, is increasingly unable to keep up with the times.

If the published article is a "propaganda pamphlet," then you, as Director of the CIA, should not have taken authorship of it and placed it in a respectable magazine. The best thing would be to hand it out as a flier on the subway or scatter it in the air over the territory of enemies (and allies) of the US. If this is a claim to a thorough and comprehensive analysis, there is not a hint of it. One can see that without Brzezinski and Kissinger, the US strategic thinking is gone. However, I don't rule out the possibility that you, Mr. Burns, believe that the Democratic administration is living out its last months, and seek to secure your place in the history of the Central Intelligence Agency by presenting your own failures and blunders as achievements and clever traps. (I should note that wherever you came on a "mission" - to Afghanistan, Russia or Ukraine - after your visit the situation there started to develop in a direction being far from favorable for the strategic interests of the United States).

If my impression is correct, and your article, Mr. Burns, is in some sense a farewell one, I can only wish you good luck in your future work. All that matters is that work should contribute to peace and stability in the world.
I mean, yeah, that part is true.

Another perspective worth considering:

Literal Russian state media. Literal Russian propaganda. Again. Never change, comrade.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG

It was the undying will of freedom, just like in the movies! Same as when Uke shot down 99 Russian planes in 1 day just last week!
GAC06
AG
Putin was tricked into marching on Kiev.

Thats some real 4D chess, people.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
GAC06 said:

Putin was tricked into marching on Kiev.

Thats some real 4D chess, people.

All Uke has are lies.
John Armfield
PlaneCrashGuy said:

It was the undying will of freedom, just like in the movies! Same as when Uke shot down 99 Russian planes in 1 day just last week!
Was that by the Ghost of Kiev??? Another completely made up lie from the UKE gvt?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
John Armfield said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Was that by the Ghost of Kiev??? Another completely made up lie from the UKE gvt?

Yes that is yet another example of Uke doing exactly what they're accusing Russia of. Many such cases. But when the yokels and lemmings across the world believe it, why on earth would they stop? Very sad.
GAC06
AG
Most people overestimated the competence of the Russians and the tenacity of the Ukrainians. I thought it was most likely that Ukraine would fall within a week or so. However they decided to fight, and I'm glad we decided to really help them once they demonstrated their will to defend their country.
GAC06
AG
Quote:

And if it's zero American lives, I guess I misread some of the lamentations about the 'hero's' killed in service to Ukraine's regime. Those Americans, some in pretty pictures of marine dress blues…just don't count. But, I don't consider Ukrainian or Russian lives killed in some war of pride to also be a 'bargain.' In fact, looking upon one ethnicity or another being sent to death as a joyful cause is…disgusting.

Almost forgot this part.

Volunteers can do what they want to do. It's sad when they die. It's sad when Ukrainians die. It's sad when Russians die. Russia has sent hundreds of thousands of their people to die in a fiasco war of conquest. For some reason you don't criticize that though, you criticize the people defending against the invasion.
Teslag
AG
I've never actually thought of that. Nortex has never once criticized Putin for sending thousands upon thousands of Russians to die for nothing. They get a complete free pass.
First Page Last Page
Page 193 of 261

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.