1987 film - Predator

8,272 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PabloSerna
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I DVR a lot of stuff for workouts and this was on HBO the other day and recorded it. And after I rewatched it, something hit me.

In the summer of 87 I was 13 and somehow we got a friends mom to buy us tickets to see this rated R film. Me and my friends were completely blown away. At the time it was slick as hell, top of the line for Hollywood and would eventually become known as an Arnold/80's classic. The special effects don't hold up well and the spin offs and reboots suck (at least the couple I have seen). But in the summer of 87, Arnold and the gang of spec op guys with MP5's, drum fed 40mm grenade launchers, an M203, 240, an infantry mobile GE mini-gun, etc, killing commies in central America and fighting an alien on safari was seriously cool AF.

What's the point? Me and my lilly white early teen buddies walked out of the theatre completely jacked up, like testosterone pumping young men should be, about a kick ass movie. Not one of us ever considered having a discussion about the topics that absolutely permeate the minds of like aged young people today.

The cast of 1987 Predator:

Arnold/Dutch - White (please note, extra points for being an immigrant from a formerly commie controlled country)
Carl Weathers/Dillon - (aka Apollo Creed - extra 'Murica points) - black
Some hot no name latina/Anna - hispanic
Bill Duke/Sgt Mac - black
Richard Chavez/Ramirez - hispanic
Ventura/Blain - white (and also future whackjob gov of MN)
Sonny Landham/Billy - Native American
Some no name white guy/Hawkins - obviously white

John McTiernan, despite his personal problems, was a great director. Epic. And this was the mid 80's. I can't believe for a moment that the guy gave a sh** about being woke at a time when woke didn't exist. He put together what he thought was a badass cast for a badass movie (also see Die Hard, The Hunt for Red October).

No one cared. No one showered praise on McTiernan, Schwarzenegger, Fox, anyone, for this incredibly diverse cast.

And before anyone says "yeah well it was still Arnold" I feel like I need to point out that the #3 box office grossing film of 1987 was Beverly Hills Cop 2, starring Eddie Murphy.

When Gen X says "we had this all moving in the right direction" we are not lying. We kids of the 70's, 80's and 90's didn't care. We didn't even notice. We just had a lot of fun. We laughed all the time. I tell my teenage sons this all the time. I'll shut up now.
C@LAg
you have a predator, who is an illegal alien just here trying to practice his culture.

Then you have this mob of military-industrial complex war ******s lead by a prime example of the Aryan master race, doing everything to prevent him from doing it.

It gets even worse. The Aryan master race guy goes full on black face by using mud to change his looks so that he can then assault and injure the illegal alien.
Urban Ag
AG
C@LAg said:

you have a predator, who is an illegal alien just here trying to practice his culture.

Then you have this mob of military-industrial complex war ******s lead by a prime example of the Aryan master race, doing everything to prevent him from doing it.

It gets even worse. The Aryan master race guy goes full on black face by using mud to change his looks so that he can then assault and injure the illegal alien.

Amazing Moves
Quote:

John McTiernan
Has to be the goat action movie director. The amount of twist and turns through relatively long movies were tremendous.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Not to mention that Jesse the Body uses the six letter F word.
TheEternalPessimist
HollywoodBQ said:

Unforgivable.

More unforgivable, clearly, than his personal war against the Chris Kyle family.
CheeseSndwch
I've never thought about the racial makeup of the cast before but if I recall correctly the death of Hawkins and Blain also went against the Hollywood movie trope of the "black guy" dying first.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
C@LAg said:

Racist! Nobody is "illegal"!

Bigot! Alien is a slur!

The lifeform is an undocumented extraterrestrial.

Transphobe! How dare you assume the undocumented extraterrestrial's gender identity!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MouthBQ98
AG
F the left for self service of purposefully reversing decades of progress. They want the division and hatred.
CyclingAg82
AG
Urban Ag said:

Arnold/Dutch - White (please note, extra points for being an immigrant from a formerly commie controlled country)

The no name white guy who played Hawkins is Shane Black, became a prolific writer and accomplished director.

Directed Iron Man 3, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang & The Nice Guys. Played a lot of bit parts as actor but found his wheelhouse directing.
Franklin Comes Alive!
Op is full of ****

The sequels & spin-offs are all amazing
B-1 83
AG
CyclingAg82 said:

Urban Ag said:

The no name white guy who played Hawkins is Shane Black, became a prolific writer and accomplished director.

Directed Iron Man 3, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang & The Nice Guys. Played a lot of bit parts as actor but found his wheelhouse directing.
Urban Ag is obviously a Shane Blackaphobe. It's in Wikipedia.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Tanya 93
Game over man, GAME OVER!

You are canceled
dmart90
AG
What topics do you think would permeate the minds of like aged young people today? Those who were interested in going to see a movie like Predator? Just curious.
vansprinkle
AG
It is amazing how progressives have caused us to regress so much over the last decade or two. It's almost as if Obama being elected had the reverse effect of what everyone claimed it would.

On MLK day I saw someone post a quote from his famous Dream speech. I was saddened thinking that at some point we were very close to his dream coming true, only to realize that we are now further from it happening than probably at any time since his death.
Troglodyte
AG
A DVR is still a thing? That's why God gave us HBOMax.
Old Sarge
AG
Obama had the reverse affect of what was sold to them to get their vote, then he and his cohorts went exactly the direction they had laid out which was to create racial division, in order to implement Class Warfare, which is a political pillar of the Left/Marxists. Obama and his cohorts set the U.S. back 40 years and that was just the first, intentional I might add, step. Destruction of this country as it was founded is the real prize with that bunch.
bam02
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

That whole helicopter scene is one of my all time favorites. Gets me so hyped up.

And that line when everyone turns down Blain's offer of a chaw is just absolutely perfection.
bam02
AG
Oh and it's funny you did the math on this, OP. My dad took me to see this in the theater. I was born in 79. As silly as this sounds it is a very fond memory (among countless!) that I have of my dad. He wasn't super lax about most things in general, but he was cool with this and I'm grateful.
spider96
AG
Tanya 93 said:

You are canceled
Wrong alien movie.

Apache
AG
I saw this movie in the theater in 6th grade. So many good lines.

"Buncha slack jawed fa**ots around here"

"You're bleedin'." "I ain't got time to bleed." "You got time to duck?"

and perhaps the most famous:
Get Off My Lawn
I would disagree with one point: the influential shapers are typically members of a generation or two above the kids who consume the entertainment.

Right now - it isn't millennials running Hollywood. Hell - Bob Iger (the guy who put Disney on its path to woketastropjy) is a boomer. But the C suite transition is currently underway so we're about to see if GenX really does have the fortitude to reverse ESG, DEI, and anti-WASP-M policies.
CanyonAg77
AG
dmart90 said:

What topics do you think would permeate the minds of like aged young people today? Those who were interested in going to see a movie like Predator? Just curious.

Top Gun: Maverick?
AGHouston11
AG
Old Sarge said:

Obama had the reverse affect of what was sold to them to get their vote, then he and his cohorts went exactly the direction they had laid out which was to create racial division, in order to implement Class Warfare, which is a political pillar of the Left/Marxists. Obama and his cohorts set the U.S. back 40 years and that was just the first, intentional I might add, step. Destruction of this country as it was founded is the real prize with that bunch.

Obama and the people who brought him to power accomplished what they set out to do. Dividing the country on race was a goal. He never missed a chance to advance this cause.
CS78
Its largely been done silently by the entertainment industry and media. Few have noticed the organized neutering of anything kick ass masculine. There is no more badass music or movies of any genre. It's all intentionally limp. A docile people are much less likely to rise up and fight when the time comes.
Phatbob
AG
CyclingAg82 said:

Urban Ag said:

Gen X was so right on, even the white guys were Black and no one knew.
CyclingAg82
AG
Good one.......blue star for you.
Urban Ag
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Did he? I feel like I could recite the entire script but I can't recall it.

Regardless, in 1987 is was still just a word. A very distasteful word, but still mostly just a word, not a figurative death sentence.
Urban Ag
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

F the left for self service of purposefully reversing decades of progress. They want the division and hatred.
Succinctly making my point. At our age (we are probably 1-2 years apart) it sucks to look back at what was, fully knowing we were so on the right trajectory.
DrEvazanPhD
Best part about the movie...there was no Mary Sue. Arnold, always the best at what he does, and his crew of hardened veterans of countless operations and wars, are terrified, have no idea what to do, and the sole survivor, Arnold, is completely shell shocked at the end.
DrEvazanPhD
Urban Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Regardless, in 1987 is was still just a word. A very distasteful word, but still mostly just a word, not a figurative death sentence.
"Y'all are a bunch of slack jawed ******s, this stuff will make you a *******ed sexual tyrannosaurus"
Urban Ag
AG
Lol. I was thinking of the other six letter F word.
LMCane
I was 17

and we all loved it.

can anyone imagine a movie like Red Dawn being made today where American teenagers take their guns to go and kill Russian invaders?

Matt_ag98
Urban Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Yeah it's the pouch scene in the chopper after everyone rejects a chew. Ventura's response is "Bunch of slack jawed ******* around here, this stuff will put hair on your chest". Petty sure this is the quote but let me go check wikiquote real quick

Phd beat me to it and how could I forget "Sexual Ty-ranasourous"
Tanya 93
spider96 said:

Tanya 93 said:

You are canceled
Wrong alien movie.

My bad

They all blend in

Should have double checked
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.