1987 film - Predator

8,285 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PabloSerna
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Troglodyte said:

A DVR is still a thing? That's why God gave us HBOMax.
It works great. You just push the "record" button the remote and then all this magic sh** happens and it's in your "list" for later.

Just like my flip phone, works great.
tpw
Apache said:

I saw this movie in the theater in 6th grade. So many good lines.

"Buncha slack jawed fa**ots around here"

"You're bleedin'." "I ain't got time to bleed." "You got time to duck?"

and perhaps the most famous:

" Find out what's spookin Billy"
Matt_ag98
Tanya 93 said:

spider96 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Game over man, GAME OVER!

You are canceled
Wrong alien movie.

My bad

They all blend in

Should have double checked

I mean he is in Predator 2 though
VegasAg86
AG
Phatbob said:

CyclingAg82 said:

Urban Ag said:

The cast of 1987 Predator:

Arnold/Dutch - White (please note, extra points for being an immigrant from a formerly commie controlled country)
Carl Weathers/Dillon - (aka Apollo Creed - extra 'Murica points) - black
Some hot no name latina/Anna - hispanic
Bill Duke/Sgt Mac - black
Richard Chavez/Ramirez - hispanic
Ventura/Blain - white (and also future whackjob gov of MN)
Sonny Landham/Billy - Native American
Some no name white guy/Hawkins - obviously white

The no name white guy who played Hawkins is Shane Black, became a prolific writer and accomplished director.

Directed Iron Man 3, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang & The Nice Guys. Played a lot of bit parts as actor but found his wheelhouse directing.
Gen X was so right on, even the white guys were Black and no one knew.

Gen X? Most of them weren't old enough to see it without an adult. The majority of people listed in the OP were Boomers.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
LMCane said:

I was 17

and we all loved it.

can anyone imagine a movie like Red Dawn being made today where American teenagers take their guns to go and kill Russian invaders?

take a ride in the way back machine. i wil never forget this movie it was the first movie i ever saw on a new invention called a VCR. we rented red dawn and gremlins.

god the 80s were great
cbr
AG
LMCane said:

I was 17

and we all loved it.

can anyone imagine a movie like Red Dawn being made today where American teenagers take their guns to go and kill Russian invaders?

Another great movie…but what is sad is i watched it recently and i couldnt help having the thought that the bad guys now would be working for the us government.
tysker
AG
the scene where the remaining unit members spray the jungle with bullets is still awesome

LMCane
tysker said:

the scene where the remaining unit members spray the jungle with bullets is still awesome

the fact that Arnold was a Republican and now basically a California hippie preaching about global warming

TxTarpon
Great post about this movie.
The cast was a group of very interesting people.

Arnold/Dutch
Later Gov of California

Actor and director

Later Gov of Minnesota

Ran for Gov of and a senator for Kentucky.

Kevin Peter Hall (the predator)
Died in 1991 of AIDS after a blood transfusion for injuries sustained in a car wreck.
He was 7'2" and played basketball at George Washington U.

Shane Black/Rich Hawkins
Wrote the script for the Lethal Weapon movie in under two months.
This lead to his role in Predator where is also worked on the script.
He directed the 2018 movie The Predator.
Tanya 93
VegasAg86 said:

Phatbob said:

CyclingAg82 said:

Urban Ag said:

The cast of 1987 Predator:

Arnold/Dutch - White (please note, extra points for being an immigrant from a formerly commie controlled country)
Carl Weathers/Dillon - (aka Apollo Creed - extra 'Murica points) - black
Some hot no name latina/Anna - hispanic
Richard Chavez/Ramirez - hispanic
Some no name white guy/Hawkins - obviously white

The no name white guy who played Hawkins is Shane Black, became a prolific writer and accomplished director.

Directed Iron Man 3, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang & The Nice Guys. Played a lot of bit parts as actor but found his wheelhouse directing.

Gen X? Most of them weren't old enough to see it without an adult. The majority of people listed in the OP were Boomers.

You did not grow up in NW Houston

Now I want to shop at Units, get an Orange Julius, and tell thel ticket taker that my hippie mom doesn't want me to show my ID to prove my age because my word as a woman should be enough...
c-jags
Old Sarge said:

Obama had the reverse affect of what was sold to them to get their vote, then he and his cohorts went exactly the direction they had laid out which was to create racial division, in order to implement Class Warfare, which is a political pillar of the Left/Marxists. Obama and his cohorts set the U.S. back 40 years and that was just the first, intentional I might add, step. Destruction of this country as it was founded is the real prize with that bunch.
i don't disagree with the gist of your post, but i shift the blame a little bit.

No fan of Obama, but i don't know that it was his fault or more of his followers fault for the set back of race relations. i think he had fairly good intentions of uniting in 2008. despite my disagreement with a lot of WHAT he said in the speech, "A more perfect union" has some good sentiments. People made fun of him for it, but i thought the beer summit was actually a good attempt at humanizing a moment in time and showing some desire for civil conversation.

his followers took it as a carte blanche (much like Trump followers do as well to be unnecessarily a-holish) to start adding racial division. Obama's biggest mistake on that front was "if i had a son." while i have some moral disagreements with Obama, i assure you that his son would not be attacking a dude on the street in the middle of the night and have numerous pictures of yourself flipping the bird and smoking weed out there.

Much like I don't blame Garth Brooks directly for the terrible fratbro turn of Country Music, or Steph Curry for the ridiculous state of the NBA and 3 point shooting, they didn't make it terrible themselves, but they held the door open for something worse and then just went along with the crowd.

also from the op, "some random white dude"

shane black. . his name is shane black.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

When Gen X says "we had this all moving in the right direction" we are not lying. We kids of the 70's, 80's and 90's didn't care. We didn't even notice. We just had a lot of fun. We laughed all the time.

Yup
HollywoodBQ
AG
Urban Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Not to mention that Jesse the Body uses the six letter F word.
Did he? I feel like I could recite the entire script but I can't recall it.

Regardless, in 1987 is was still just a word. A very distasteful word, but still mostly just a word, not a figurative death sentence.
In the Helicopter scene when they're enroute to rescue the previous team.

It's such a great line.

We live in a world today where Green Day has their lyrics censored for using "Seig Heil" and the shortened plural form of the six letter F word.

When was the last time you heard the original, uncensored version of Dire Straits "Money for Nothin'"?

In 1987, it was striking but not offensive. Today it would be cancellable.
tysker
AG
Quote:

Ran for Gov of and a senator for Kentucky.
from wiki:
Quote:

He identified as being of half Cherokee and one-eighth Seminole descent, and partly of German, English and Irish descent.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Landham#cite_note-SunSentinel-1][1][/url] He also stated he had Jewish heritage.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Landham#cite_note-ipr-4][4][/url]
so is he more or less native american than Elizabeth Warren?
schmellba99
AG
LMCane said:

I was 17

and we all loved it.

I bet a bunch of Ukranian teenagers are imagining it right now
VegasAg86
AG
Tanya 93 said:

VegasAg86 said:

Phatbob said:

You did not grow up in NW Houston

Now I want to shop at Units, get an Orange Julius, and tell thel ticket taker that my hippie mom doesn't want me to show my ID to prove my age because my word as a woman should be enough...
lol, no doubt, but it's still absurd to attribute the prevailing attitudes to a generation that was roughly 6-22 at the time. Boomers dominated the 18-34, 35-49 and 18-49 age demographics. The entire '46-'64 range was within them, the other generations were cropped.
HollywoodBQ
AG
LMCane said:

I was 17

and we all loved it.

Remember, it was Cubans who jumped in to Colorado.

If you ever get the chance, there's a pretty decent Australian movie called "Tomorrow When the Was Began" that has a non descript North Asian country as the bad guys and a group of teens have to come to the rescue. It's not bad.

Here in 2023, I don't think you could round up enough American kids who would be willing to resist and fight. The scamdemic proved that.
Urban Ag
AG
jesus christ. You're like the fourth to point this out. I had no idea that some guys with three lines in an 80's movie turned out to be something in Hollywood. Apologies to all the Shane Black fans out there.

shows how closely I follow the entertainment industry
TxTarpon
tysker said:

Quote:

so is he more or less native american than Elizabeth Warren?

He was shirtless alot.
Lots for women and gay dudes to look at.
Liz Warren has nothing good to look at.
halfastros81
AG
Predator was an awesome movie . The Predator movie with Danny Glover wasn't bad either but didn't measure up to the original.
aggie93
AG
c-jags said:

Old Sarge said:

Obama had the reverse affect of what was sold to them to get their vote, then he and his cohorts went exactly the direction they had laid out which was to create racial division, in order to implement Class Warfare, which is a political pillar of the Left/Marxists. Obama and his cohorts set the U.S. back 40 years and that was just the first, intentional I might add, step. Destruction of this country as it was founded is the real prize with that bunch.
i don't disagree with the gist of your post, but i shift the blame a little bit.

No fan of Obama, but i don't know that it was his fault or more of his followers fault for the set back of race relations. i think he had fairly good intentions of uniting in 2008. despite my disagreement with a lot of WHAT he said in the speech, "A more perfect union" has some good sentiments. People made fun of him for it, but i thought the beer summit was actually a good attempt at humanizing a moment in time and showing some desire for civil conversation.

his followers took it as a carte blanche (much like Trump followers do as well to be unnecessarily a-holish) to start adding racial division. Obama's biggest mistake on that front was "if i had a son." while i have some moral disagreements with Obama, i assure you that his son would not be attacking a dude on the street in the middle of the night and have numerous pictures of yourself flipping the bird and smoking weed out there.

Much like I don't blame Garth Brooks directly for the terrible fratbro turn of Country Music, or Steph Curry for the ridiculous state of the NBA and 3 point shooting, they didn't make it terrible themselves, but they held the door open for something worse and then just went along with the crowd.

also from the op, "some random white dude"

shane black. . his name is shane black.
You are very naive if you don't think Obama's racial plan was intentional. All you have to do is look at how he was raised, what he did in college, and the fact he was a product of the Chicago political machine. You probably though the Jeremiah Wright thing didn't mean anything or that Michelle being an African American Studies major who went to law school so she could be an activist was just a coincidence. Obama was always a huckster who had an absolutely amazing gift of lying with passion and sincerity because he was a complete narcissist. Bringing up the "Beer summit" as anything but a farce also makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

The only thing I will agree with you on is that it wasn't really about race to Obama it was all about power. He literally would say or do anything for power. I remember watching his Nomination speech and going in the office the next day where all these Millennials were starstruck with they guy. I just said, "It was a great speech. If you went off his speech you would think he was a Republican (go back and read it). The problem is his record is the most liberal of any Senator and he is a race baiter." I got a lot of really unpleasant looks from that. That was in the days when you could still talk a little politics around the water cooler without fear of getting fired.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
AGinHI
AG
The Cosby Show was the top rated program in America for 5 consecutive seasons.

How's that for racist America?
SMidgett87
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

When was the last time you heard the original, uncensored version of Dire Straits "Money for Nothin'"?

There's a censored version?
bam02
AG
Couple of points…

Predator is one of the greatest movies ever made. Maxes out the hardness scale.

I would never have voted for Obama because of his policies, but I remember smiling and feeling proud when he was elected and thinking what a significant thing it would mean for race relations in America.

Obama pissed on all that. I hold him personally accountable for so much of this. Started with his jumping to a wrong conclusion about the Harvard professor issue early on. Then he fanned the flames of racial division by knowingly spreading lies about Michael Brown shooting. There were a lot of police officers assasinated since Ferguson and I hold Obama 100% responsible.

He had a unique opportunity to make things better but he made them worse for political reasons. Pure and simple.
HtownAg92
AG
schmellba99 said:

LMCane said:

I was 17

and we all loved it.

I bet a bunch of Ukranian teenagers are imagining it right now
High school in the 80's was a great time to watch movies, hate on commies and prep for defending America. I saw all of these Cold War classics in the theaters and walked out looking go after Gorbi:

Rocky IV
Top Secret
Top Gun
Spies Like Us
Firefox
White Nights
Wargames
The Right Stuff
Rambo (II)
Iron Eagle (not Ruskies, but teens getting payback)
Urban Ag
AG
AGinHI said:

The Cosby Show was the top rated program in America for 5 consecutive seasons.

How's that for racist America?
Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston were probably the most popular male and female artists of the 80's.

That's my whole point to the thread. We didn't even care. We didn't celebrate it or even talk about it.
Urban Ag
AG
SMidgett87 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

There's a censored version?
Yep.
bam02
AG
I also want to say that I usually can't stand musicals, but the musical adaptation of Predator is surprisingly good. Very artful.
Carlo4
AG
No one really noticed because the story/action is greatness. You always notice more when it's forced.

Forced Example: all women scene in Avengers Endgame
Great plot example: all women scene in Mandalorian S2

agracer
AG
CS78 said:

Its largely been done silently by the entertainment industry and media. Few have noticed the organized neutering of anything kick ass masculine. There is no more badass music or movies of any genre. It's all intentionally limp. A docile people are much less likely to rise up and fight when the time comes.
It was going on in the 90's. Even my wife noticed that in every show/commercial on TV the man was the foolish/weak/idiot and the women was smart/strong/powerful. Every show/commercial insulted men at every chance.
aggie93
AG
bam02 said:

Couple of points…

I would never have voted for Obama because of his policies, but I remember smiling and feeling proud when he was elected and thinking what a significant thing it would mean for race relations in America.

Obama pissed on all that. I hold him personally accountable for so much of this. Started with his jumping to a wrong conclusion about the Harvard professor issue early on. Then he fanned the flames of racial division by knowing spreading lies about Michael Brown shooting. There were a lot of police officers assasinated since Ferguson and I hold Obama 100% responsible.

He had a unique opportunity to make things better but he made them worse for political reasons. Pure and simple.
This. Obama had a choice and his choice was that if a black person was involved they were not responsible, ever. That was the message he sent and reinforced. There were legions of drone idiot white liberals who looked at Obama as some transcendent figure on race and that we must listen to him so they bought into that nonsense. It was the beginning of the mentality of "it's all systemic racism" taking root as opposed to looking at things through a color blind lens. In the "Beer Summit" for instance the right response was for the prof to simply have provided the cop the information he was asking for instead of being hostile, had he done so nothing would have happened.

Many people forget as well even Bill Clinton (who was previously called "The first Black President) and his "Sister Soulja moment". He essentially found an extremist Black entertainer that was controversial that Jesse Jackson had let be part of the "Rainbow Coalition" and denounced her emphatically. That would never happen now and it is because of Obama.

Probably the last gasp of sanity was this Chris Rock bit that would never be able to be made today:

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
DrEvazanPhD
Urban Ag said:

Lol. I was thinking of the other six letter F word.
Which six letter F word am i missing?
Ciboag96
Read the title of the thread and instantly I can hear the chick in the movie say "his blood was on tha leebs" followed by "If it bleeds, we can kill it."
Dimebag Darrell
Great post. Nostalgic too. I am convinced that the 80's and early to mid 90's were the best times ever to be a kid or young adult. We will never see anything like it again and it makes me sad for our children. It was our high water mark as a society/civilization imo.

Also, The Running Man came out that year or maybe the year after. As a 7 or 8 year old, I was simply not allowed to see rated R movies, period. Mostly because of sexual stuff or constant foul language. We were in Longview, TX for a big family Christmas get together with the extended family and all of my older cousins and their dads were going to see it. I was super jealous...but then found out that my cousin that is a month younger than me convinced his mom to let him go with his dad and I lost it. I was really bummed, I cried, but my mom wasn't budging...then my dad became my hero and somehow sold her on it...pretty sure it was something like "I've talked to people, it's not a sexual movie and there is no nudity, it's just a violent shoot em up and there aren't many curse words".

I still get chills thinking about how I felt just walking into that theater off Hwy 31 (or maybe 281?) at night time with my older cousins and my dad to see an R rated Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. Then there was the movie, which was next level compared to what I was used to and absolutely blew me away. It was scary in a good way as a kid. I didn't feel like an 8 year old walking out of that movie and me and the cousins could hardly sleep talking about that movie when we got back to grandma and papaw's house. As stupid as it sounds, that was a genuinely monumental event in my life.
agracer
AG
bam02 said:

Couple of points…

Obama pissed on all that. I hold him personally accountable for so much of this. Started with his jumping to a wrong conclusion about the Harvard professor issue early on. Then he fanned the flames of racial division by knowingly spreading lies about Michael Brown shooting. There were a lot of police officers assasinated since Ferguson and I hold Obama 100% responsible.

I felt the same way.

Maybe this guy really will do what's best for America. And he could have done it. He could have fixed healthcare (made it worse), address the fatherless demographic and it's harmful lifestyle (didn't do anything) and improved already good race relations (made them worse).

What a foolish thing for me to believe.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.