Don't Ban Gas-stoves

14,304 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TChaney
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

AggieCo2023 said:

While I and many of my left leaning friends

By left leaning, you mean poor and renting an apartment.

Zero people with money that actually like cooking would ever choose an electric range.

Electric is extremely popular with most groups, gas is becoming more and more rare. I'm not saying it's better, but saying Noone prefers it is...wrong.

Now, electric vs gas ho****er heaters is when the problems will come in
Saltwater Assassin
AG
The party of "shout your abortion" cares about kids. That's rich.
Do right and bear the consequences. -Sam Houston
Fins Up!
AG
Manhattan said:

I am against it, but if the "13% of childhood asthma is caused by gas stoves" is true then maybe we should look into it.

You got anything substantial to back that up? Or is it just more liberal garbage?

Good lord, you people are dunces.
GAC06
AG
Teslag said:

GAC06 said:

From the article, which mentions using gas as well by the top chefs:

"As a result, induction hobs are seen as a useful and accessible piece of kit for the ambitious chef with limited money and space."

Well if you're poor and have no space those sound like advantages. Like I said, keep googling, maybe I'll check back. But do better this time than a theme restaurant and a "currently closed" wine bar without space for a real kitchen.

Keep moving the goalposts. What are the advantages of gas?

Pointing out that you've still failed to back up your claim isn't moving the goalposts. Good for the guys in your example finding something within their budget to cook on.
Teslag
AG
I see the deflector shields are set to maximum
Charpie
AG
My dad worked for the electric company. As a result, we had nothing but electric appliances growing up. Man that sucked during the freezes we would get, plus hurricanes. I moved to Austin and my house had a gas stoves. Holy crap! Cooking time is faster because of the quick heat, plus you can regulate the heat better. Clean up is faster because you can turn off the stove and it's done. For me, when we lose power, it's a game changer because I can keep cooking. Plus having a gas water heater is just better. Water heats up faster when there are guests in our house. When my dad spent a few days here, he became convinced and converted their house to gas.

And I had asthma growing up…in my electric house. Ha
Teslag
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Sea Speed said:

Teslag said:

Those are fair. But could be solved with wider adoption. What about actually cooking?

Electric blows for cooking, but that is personal preference. Electric is much harder to dial in certain Temps imo, and when you get it too hot it doesn't cool down quickly unlike gas which is near instantaneous.

That's true for traditional electric, not induction. Induction is instantaneous like gas. It can also be dialed in to the degree. It's clear you have no idea what induction electric even is.
Whos moving goal posts now? Induction limits your cookware. Glass cooktops break. Basic thermodynamics say laundering heat energy through electricity is less efficient than using it directly. Excess natural gas production makes it cheap here. You can roast/toast with open flame in a way you can't without. Optionality / redundancy.

Electricity is great - but you're just being a ***** when badgering others to justify having preferences that don't mirror yours.

Gas transfers 38% of its energy to the food being cooked. Induction is around 80 to 90%. Induction uses magnets to induce heat in the pan itself, it's not transferred like gas or old electric. This is also why heating with induction is so much faster than gas.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

That's weird. Was your house downwind from a gas fueled electrical generation plant?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Independence H-D
Pure. Dumbassery.

eric76
AG
Just out of curiosity, how easy would it be to operate a restaurant on an electric stove?
Smudge
AG
Teslag said:

Smudge said:

Teslag said:

Those are fair. But could be solved with wider adoption. What about actually cooking?

And, you're just distracting…. Who ****ing cares what is better for cooking?? Why ban gas stoves? You seem to love your induction stove. Great! Now I forbid you to use it. Banned!

It's ****ing crazy. So are you.

More dodging.

Selective hearing like a child. You see my post above? Or just ignore it to post this zinger?
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
Charpie
AG
He's trolling. Best to ignore him.
The Fife
Charpie said:

My dad worked for the electric company. As a result, we had nothing but electric appliances growing up. Man that sucked during the freezes we would get, plus hurricanes. I moved to Austin and my house had a gas stoves. Holy crap! Cooking time is faster because of the quick heat, plus you can regulate the heat better. Clean up is faster because you can turn off the stove and it's done. For me, when we lose power, it's a game changer because I can keep cooking. Plus having a gas water heater is just better. Water heats up faster when there are guests in our house. When my dad spent a few days here, he became convinced and converted their house to gas.

Hurricanes and power outages, forgot about those. The gas cooktop + bbq grill lighter have for sure saved our asses here at home plenty of times.

If OP needs a nanny or federal government to tell him how to think he can do that, but keep that crap away from everyone else who know how to think on their own.
Teslag
AG
Charpie said:

He's trolling. Best to ignore him.
Teslag
AG
eric76 said:

Just out of curiosity, how easy would it be to operate a restaurant on an electric stove?

Many high end restaurants are already running on induction. It can do everything gas can do but with greater efficiency.
GAC06
AG
eric76 said:

It could be done, but very limiting. They certainly serve a purpose and have some advantages but you don't see serious chefs ditching gas except in cases like the climate themed restaurant posted earlier.

Induction to boil water faster or for specific uses like sauces? Sure. Get rid of grills, broilers, French top, and ranges? Doesn't make sense and those tools cannot be replaced by induction.
LightningDammitt
AG
Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Sea Speed said:

Teslag said:

Electric blows for cooking, but that is personal preference. Electric is much harder to dial in certain Temps imo, and when you get it too hot it doesn't cool down quickly unlike gas which is near instantaneous.

That's true for traditional electric, not induction. Induction is instantaneous like gas. It can also be dialed in to the degree. It's clear you have no idea what induction electric even is.
Whos moving goal posts now? Induction limits your cookware. Glass cooktops break. Basic thermodynamics say laundering heat energy through electricity is less efficient than using it directly. Excess natural gas production makes it cheap here. You can roast/toast with open flame in a way you can't without. Optionality / redundancy.

Electricity is great - but you're just being a ***** when badgering others to justify having preferences that don't mirror yours.

Gas transfers 38% of its energy to the food being cooked. Induction is around 80 to 90%. Induction uses magnets to induce heat in the pan itself, it's not transferred like gas or old electric. This is also why heating with induction is so much faster than gas.

Hmmm...

What is the source of your electricity?
Teslag
AG
Probably gas. I don't have an issue with fossil fuels. I would prefer a gas oven to an electric one. Same with a water heater.
LightningDammitt
AG
Teslag said:

Probably gas. I don't have an issue with fossil fuels. I would prefer a gas oven to an electric one. Same with a water heater.

So you are admitting that your energy efficiencies with electric are net INefficient...
Ulysses90
AG
GAC06 said:

Manhattan said:

I am against it, but if the "13% of childhood asthma is caused by gas stoves" is true then maybe we should look into it.

Hint: it's not true

Asthma is almost unheard of in the many primitive cultures that cook over fires fueled by dried animal dung.

It's the insanity of the anti-impact framework and net-zero cult that is driving moderns industrial cultures toward wood pellet heating in preference to natural gas which is only a brief stop on the way to cooking over open fires after the achieve the industrial collapse that is necessary on the road to their anti-humanist utopia.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
So strange on this thread that the usual contrarians are being adamantly contrarian.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Aggie Jurist
AG
Hmm, what about the high EMF radiation induction cooking generates?
LGB
Smudge
AG
These idiotic policy takes didn't happen before men started eating estrogen rich tofu. Just saying. Don't know one alpha who drives a Tesla and didn't like to cook over fire and burn *****
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
Dad-O-Lot
AG
when we bought our home, it was all electric. There is no gas utility available. We added a propane tank and line so we could install a propane stove.

I have never liked cooking on an electric stove.
Sea Speed
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

when we bought our home, it was all electric. There is no gas utility available. We added a propane tank and line so we could install a propane stove.

That is what I'm looking at doing at a new house.

On another house we own we split off from the fireplace and put a line in the slab run to the island so we could have a gas stove.

How much did your setup run you, just trying to figure out costs.
Get Off My Lawn
Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Sea Speed said:

Teslag said:

You're clearly trolling at this point - intentionally using cherry picked numbers of transferred to food vs transfer to pan and intentionally ignoring electrical generation and transmission losses as well.
FJB
AG

Stolen from earlier.

How tone deaf are these people?
Who is John Galt?

MGS
If electric is so good - why ban alternatives?
WorthAg95
AG
Manhattan said:

Nomenclature said:

Point 1: you're excluding yourself from label "Freedom lover."
I do not love people having the freedom to inflict harm on their children...

Do you dress yourself?
texsn95
AG
So now the vax troller is trolling gas stoves. I guess they aren't "safe and effective" anymore... Wow...
Hungry Ojos
zagman said:

Manhattan said:

Nomenclature said:

Weird from someone who supports killing children.

Abortion Law Confusion Leads to Sepsis for Texas Woman
Mothers against Greg Abbott abortion ad - Page 4 | TexAgs

Owned.
Teslag
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Sea Speed said:

Teslag said:

You're clearly trolling at this point - intentionally using cherry picked numbers of transferred to food vs transfer to pan and intentionally ignoring electrical generation and transmission losses as well.

It's not cherry picking. It's related to the fundamental different methods of heating. Induction uses magnets to induce heat in the actual cookware. The cookware itself is what gets hot and generates heat. That's where the efficiency advantages come into play.
Manhattan
Hungry Ojos said:

zagman said:

Manhattan said:

Nomenclature said:

Weird from someone who supports killing children.

Abortion Law Confusion Leads to Sepsis for Texas Woman
Mothers against Greg Abbott abortion ad - Page 4 | TexAgs

Owned.

As I have said repeatedly, I don't support abortion, I support a woman's right to get an abortion so 10 year old rape victims aren't forced to give birth and women can have access to life saving healthcare before they are bleeding out.
Teslag
AG
Sea Speed said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

That is what I'm looking at doing at a new house.

On another house we own we split off from the fireplace and put a line in the slab run to the island so we could have a gas stove.

How much did your setup run you, just trying to figure out costs.

We spent $2,500 on the black pipe run and the outdoor taps for the outdoor kitchen and then one in the garage. The 500 gallon tank was provided without charge as long as we had a contract with the company for regular filling. We pulled the range out for induction but still use the propane for outdoor grill, power burner, and commercial griddle.
VaultingChemist
AG
Quote:

Induction cooking: Key takeaways
  • Stay at least 50 cm away from an active induction unit. LiveSAFE recommends staying away from the kitchen when it is ON.
  • Pregnant women, children, and people with cardiac pacemakers must avoid using Induction Cooktop.
  • In lab studies, it was found that pacemaker malfunction occurred in six of 16 pacemakers.
  • Use gloves while cooking on an induction stove.
  • Use cookware made of a conductive metal, with an insulating handle, such as a silicone handle cover.
  • Be mindful that there is radiation while using an induction cooktop.

EMF from induction cooktops can affect pacemakers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.