Duke volleyball player racially heckled at BYU

28,516 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 94chem
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Obviously the guy was eventually caught, and I hope he gets publicly outed.. But where were all the people around him to stand up and either collectively shut him down or get security to do it? It apparently went on the whole match. Just sad that this is still a thing in 2022, even if it was only one or a few morons.

https://www.heraldextra.com/sports/2022/aug/27/alleged-racial-slur-threats-used-against-duke-player-at-byu-volleyball-match/

[To the posters that are red flagging this post it is the OP of a long discussion thread and we are not going to remove it. -Staff]
Squadron7
AG
Look for him to be found and severely punished. Anyone want to guess if this guy would be similarly punished if all he yelled the entire time was, "It's Okay to be White"?
Rapier108
Given the fact you rarely post on F16, what is the real point of this thread?
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
oragator
Truly, no hidden motive, other than thinking it was despicable. And the more attention and forwards it gets will help make sure it doesn't happen again there or somewhere else, as schools will be forced to put policies in place when it does. Or folks will think about their role if they see it happen around them. I think we can all agree it shouldn't happen in 2022 anywhere, let alone a college volleyball match.
bigcat22
AG
I mean, Mormons did believe that black people were cursed by God until about 50 years ago
RGLAG85
AG
bigcat22 said:

I mean, Mormons did believe that black people were cursed by God until about 50 years ago
Now they're just cursed by the left and leftist policies.
Squadron7
AG
bigcat22 said:

What happened 50 years ago that God stopped cursing them?
Silian Rail
Squadron7 said:

bigcat22 said:

What happened 50 years ago that God stop cursing them?

Mitt Romney considered running for office
UTExan
Brigham Young openly advocated for slavery and there were slaves early on in Mormon history and he was ready to conduct a protracted guerilla war against the US. Yet nobody demands the school change its name. OTOH, Syracuse Univesity recently removed a statue of Abraham Lincoln.
“If you’re going to have crime it should at least be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
CanyonAg77
AG
Squadron7 said:

bigcat22 said:

The Mormon church started to get a lot of converts in Brazil, and that doctrine was a problem there.
SMM48
AG
Yes that's some bs.

Someone should have stepped forward and split that cats wig. Student. Usher. Parent. Anyone.

CanyonAg77
AG
So why is this news anywhere but Utah?

"Sports fan acts like jerk! Film at 10:00!

They should have attended a game at TTech, back in the 80s
SMM48
AG
it's only gonna get worse.

SMM48
AG
Or La Tech Baseball game spring of 88. On the road
CanyonAg77
AG
SMM48 said:

Yes that's some bs.

Someone should have stepped forward and split that cats wig. Student. Usher. Parent. Anyone.

It's a well documented facet of human behavior. When there is a crowd, people will not take responsibility. Kids drown in swimming pools with dozens of adults around. Wrecks happen and no one calls 911 because 'someone else will'. People get bullied and no one does anything because they expect some else to speak up
96AgGrad
AG
I guarantee the leftist talking heads will blame Trump and MAGA for this, if they haven't already.
NoahAg
Why is this newsworthy?
Oh no! Somewhere someone was mean to someone else!
Let's go, Brandon!
SMM48
AG
Sad. People need to step up.
leachfan
It's easier for me to believe the player made it up than a fan was dumb enough to yell those things.
PanzerAggie06
AG
The article is from the local Provo newspaper. If something like this happens at a major university the local paper is going to report it.

Now, if CNN and Fox ran this story I would roll my eyes as it is hardly national news.
UTExan
Well, okay.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/08/27/byu-duke-volleyball-racist-incident/
“If you’re going to have crime it should at least be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
PanzerAggie06
AG
Not remotely surprising.

Again, local paper reporting this is reasonable. National outlets reporting it….not so much.
Get Off My Lawn
So rare it becoming "news worthy" when it happens. Kinda like real neo-nazis or kkk members. Dicks exist, but fortunately they're a shrinking population.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Quote:

Anyone want to guess if this guy would be similarly punished if all he yelled the entire time was, "It's Okay to be White"?
That'd be a really ****ing weird thing to yell at a volleyball game.
zoneag
CanyonAg77 said:

Squadron7 said:

bigcat22 said:

The Mormon church started to get a lot of converts in Brazil, and that doctrine was a problem there.

I thought it had something to do with BYU being able to participate in NCAA athletics so God changed his mind. Kinda how He changed his mind about polygamy when it was an obstacle to Utah statehood.
Scotty Appleton
I bet she gets an ESPY for this.
Texasaggie32
UTExan said:

Brigham Young openly advocated for slavery and there were slaves early on in Mormon history and he was ready to conduct a protracted guerilla war against the US. Yet nobody demands the school change its name. OTOH, Syracuse Univesity recently removed a statue of Abraham Lincoln.

And Yale was funded by a slave trader.
Squadron7
AG
Texasaggie32 said:

UTExan said:

And Yale was funded by a slave trader.

True, but in every country where White people have the most influence slavery has been eradicated.

Can any other color make that same claim?
Bunk Moreland
A lot of lazy, but totally expected takes here. Congrats f16
Squadron7
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

If he was disruptive and causing problems, toss his ass. Period. That is what you do.

Don't try to turn it in to Selma.

Bunk Moreland
Squadron7 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

If he was disruptive and causing problems, toss his ass. Period. That is what you do.

Don't try to turn it in to Selma.

I completely agree and no one is trying to turn it into Selma. That said, Selma was 57 years ago. It's 2022. You'd think in this day and age anyone with a semblance of a heart and soul would have shouted him out or officials would have reacted but apparently they didn't. That is what makes it newsworthy.

This was a D1 college of sporting event.

And btw... If you read her response, it's about as mature as it Gets. She isn't asking for anything other than people do better.

Squadron7
AG
Quote:

And btw... If you read her response, it's about as mature as it Gets. She isn't asking for anything other than people do better.

Great response. Pitch perfect.

It's the Blue Checks and Tumblrina's I'm talking about.
Squadron7
AG
We should start calling the Twitter Blue Checks Blue Ticks.
RebelE Infantry
AG

The flames of the Imperium burn brightly in the hearts of men repulsed by degenerate modernity. Souls aflame with love of goodness, truth, beauty, justice, and order.
samurai_science
UTExan said:

Well Abraham was a republican so it makes since in todays woke world

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.