The Vanishing Texas Panhandle population

34,255 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Spider69
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is going on in Dalhart (Dallam County)?
That county has had a population INCREASE in the last 10 years.
NColoradoAG
theeyetest said:

My uncle is the GM of one of the feed lots in Dalhart and we stop there to visit them when we drive up to New Mexico. West Texas ain't what it used to be in the smaller towns.

Which feedyard?
B-1 83
AG
RiverAg 80 said:

Pigs…….lots……and lots……of ….pigs.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
SunrayAg
AG
RiverAg 80 said:

Dairies, feedyards, big farms, cheese factory, railroad, oil and gas…
CanyonAg77
AG
No Spin Ag said:

fullback44 said:

People are leaving the Texas Panhandle for one reason - Tacos - per Jill Biden !

Gotta say, you might be on to something, seeing as how that part of Texas isn't known for their local cuisine, or much actually, except....um... Okay, someone help on this one.

Cuisine? Double XXL Steak House, Tacos Garcia, Pepitos, Coyote Bluff Cafe, Green Chile Willies.
Largest State Park in Texas, Palo Duro Canyon, also second longest canyon in US
Finest regional museum in the United States, Panhandle Plains Historical Museum
WTAMU, part of the A&M system, and one of only 3 colleges in Texas with a Vet school
Caprock Canyons State Park, home of State Bison herd
Lake Meredith National Recreation area
Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument
Several Red River War battle sites, including Adobe Walls, which was a Civil War battle site, as well
Only Nuclear Weapons assembly/disassembly plant in US
Bell Helicopter, produces the Osprey
Umbarger and Muleshoe National Wildlife refuge
Two WWII POW camp sites, and POW art in the Catholic Church in Umbarger
Route 66
Charles Goodnight home and grave site (the real Captain Call from Lonesome Dove)
Caprock Canyons rails to trails and Clarity tunnel

Yeah, nothing at all. Go away. Don't visit.
CanyonAg77
AG
theeyetest said:

One of my aunts owns the Donut Stop chain in Amarillo.

Why did they close the Canyon store?

Too much competition from "Got Donuts"?
CanyonAg77
AG
Thaddeus73 said:

Charlie Goodnight was a true pioneer, and a VERY hardy man for settling that area....

He was partner in the JA Ranch (John Adair). Heirs of the Adair family still own and operate the JA, 146 years after its founding.
CanyonAg77
AG
TX04Aggie said:

Im in Amarillo for night on way to Colorado. It feels so nice outside here, I almost want to cry after the hell Houston has felt like for a month.
I'm sorry to tell you that the rain we had tonight is the first in months. It's been damned dry and hot.
theeyetest
NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

My uncle is the GM of one of the feed lots in Dalhart and we stop there to visit them when we drive up to New Mexico. West Texas ain't what it used to be in the smaller towns.

Which feedyard?

I honestly couldn't even tell you which yard tbh. He's been there forever though
NColoradoAG
theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

Which feedyard?

I honestly couldn't even tell you which yard tbh. He's been there forever though

I work for a feeding company and wondered if it was one of ours.
theeyetest
CanyonAg77 said:

theeyetest said:

One of my aunts owns the Donut Stop chain in Amarillo.

Why did they close the Canyon store?

Too much competition from "Got Donuts"?

She's closing 2 of the stores and consolidating. She said it's too hard to find employees right now and she was spread too thin. I think shes closing the Lubbock store also.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
CanyonAg77 said:

TX04Aggie said:

Im in Amarillo for night on way to Colorado. It feels so nice outside here, I almost want to cry after the hell Houston has felt like for a month.
I'm sorry to tell you that the rain we had tonight is the first in months. It's been damned dry and hot.

Your evenings and nights are pleasant though, trust me.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
theeyetest
NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

Which feedyard?

XIT Feeders is where he's GM. Just texted my aunt lol
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks for replying.

Yeah, every store in town has the "help wanted" sign out. I needed some minor body work done on a truck, and was told it would be several months before they could work me in. All their help quit.
NColoradoAG
theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

Which feedyard?

Awesome! Gene is a great guy. Not my yard in particular, we split our yards between two senior accountants, but I always enjoy visiting that yard.
Bird Poo
AG
CDUB98 said:

And you people ragging on The Panhandle can get bent. There are lots of good people up there just trying to make a living who are just as Texan as you.

I was thinking the same thing.
CanyonAg77
AG
SB 43rd STREET OG said:

CanyonAg77 said:

TX04Aggie said:

My wife went to Jr. High and high school in Houston (Spring Woods). She loves having seasons.

While this spring and early summer have been exceptionally hot and dry, the usual climate is for the wind to die down, and the temperatures to drop after sunset. Make for some wonderful evenings.
theeyetest
NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

Which feedyard?

Awesome! Gene is a great guy. Not my yard in particular, we split our yards between two senior accountants, but I always enjoy visiting that yard.

Small world! Uncle Gene is indeed good people.
CanyonAg77
AG
TX04Aggie said:

Going to Raton? Get off the main road at Des Moines, NM, drive to Folsom, then take highway 72 over the top of Johnson Mesa to Raton
Hammerly High Dive Crips
theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

Which feedyard?

How does a feedlot work? Do you send your cattle there to fatten up before the slaughter and rent out sections? Clueless big city boy here.

Is that why Amarillo smells like **** when the wind blows from a certain direction?
NColoradoAG
theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

Which feedyard?

I assume you've seen that feedmill? You'll never see a more pristine operation at a feedyard.
B-1 83
AG
theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

Which feedyard?

Big boys!
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
TyHolden
AG
Amarillo - 3 Waffle Houses
College Station - 0 Waffle Houses

CanyonAg77
AG
TyHolden said:

Amarillo - 3 Waffle Houses
College Station - 0 Waffle Houses
Forget Waffle Houses. What you need is a Weck's, out of Albuquerque.
theeyetest
NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

Which feedyard?

I assume you've seen that feedmill? You'll never see a more pristine operation at a feedyard.

I've honestly never been out there! We moved from stinnett when I was 6 and I only visit during the summers and Christmas lol
NColoradoAG
theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

Which feedyard?

I've honestly never been out there! We moved from stinnett when I was 6 and I only visit during the summers and Christmas lol

Ha. I get it. We moved to Colorado from Hereford in 1996. My career brought me back into the Cattle business and the Panhandle. Have him take you out to the yard and his mill next time you're there. It's impressive!
Hammerly High Dive Crips
CanyonAg77 said:

SB 43rd STREET OG said:

CanyonAg77 said:

TX04Aggie said:

My wife went to Jr. High and high school in Houston (Spring Woods). She loves having seasons.

While this spring and early summer have been exceptionally hot and dry, the usual climate is for the wind to die down, and the temperatures to drop after sunset. Make for some wonderful evenings.

Grew up just outside of the zoning line for Spring Woods in the 80's and 90's (off of Hammerly). That's my hood, but they zoned us funky and I went to the further school. Wonder if she knew my buddy's dad (David Mueller)? He went there just before Roger Clemens I believe.
theeyetest
NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

NColoradoAG said:

theeyetest said:

Which feedyard?

Ha. I get it. We moved to Colorado from Hereford in 1996. My career brought me back into the Cattle business and the Panhandle. Have him take you out to the yard and his mill next time you're there. It's impressive!

I definitely will!
canadianAg
AG
Wouldn't trade my upbringing in the panhandle. Loved every bit of it, the people, the weather, the community bonds. And not just your town, we all had friends in just about every town within 75 miles, everyone just bonded over commonalities. But like many others, not having grown up in a ranching family, the money just isn't there. That and my wife would never move that far from her family.
CanyonAg77
AG
When she was in Spring Woods (SW class '77) it was about 2,000 students. So unless they were in band, or AP classes, she probably wouldn't know them. It was also the very white collar, up and coming, children of professionals school.

Not so much anymore.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

we all had friends in just about every town within 75 miles
Something my wife had a hard time understanding when moving here. You made friends over sports, band, etc. You had relatives in the other towns and made friends with the other kids when visiting relatives.

Any time you met someone from another town, you went through the whole, "oh, do you know so and so who lives there? He's my cousin/friend/athletic rival..." Heck, you've seen it on this thread.

Speaking of, the Hufstedlers in Canadian are mom's cousins, and I know a great guy (and Aggie) from Hale Center who married into the Abraham family in Canadian. His wife was a Brown.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Yep, it was really just starting to turn into Little Coahuila when I was in HS in the late 90's and just after. She'd be impressed with the area now I think, but lots of young upper middle class families with children that haven't funneled up to HS level yet. Making a strong comeback. The amount of apt complexes will keep it from ever becoming Memorial though.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Born and raised and lived most of my life up there and finally moved my family to DFW a couple years ago. I honestly just like living in a nice suburb compared to a small, remote town. I like having my kids in school with others planning on going to college. I like choices when I go out to eat. I like access to culture. I like the lack of wind and dust. I can definitely see the appeal for some people but I never really found it myself.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm happy for you to be content, and it's great for everyone to make their own choices.

Small quibbles:
Quote:

I like having my kids in school with others planning on going to college

The reason we moved from a small South Plains town to Canyon, was the school system, which is excellent.

Quote:

. I like choices when I go out to eat.

I bet you go out to the same 4-5 restaurants all the time, just like the rest of us.

Quote:

I like access to culture.

Be honest. How many times have you been to a museum, symphony, or other cultural attraction in the last few years?
CDUB98
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

SB 43rd STREET OG said:

CanyonAg77 said:

TX04Aggie said:

Yup. I miss that so much living in this Houston swamp.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.