The Vanishing Texas Panhandle population

34,254 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Spider69
Bob Knights Paper Hands
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It will be interesting to see if longer-term work from home is successful and if that creates people moving out of cities back into smaller and smaller towns.
IslanderAg04
Not panhandle, but wife and i are looking to gtfo of Austin and buy land in the Abilene/Buffalo Gap area.
TX04Aggie
AG
Im in Amarillo for night on way to Colorado. It feels so nice outside here, I almost want to cry after the hell Houston has felt like for a month.
HBJ
AG
I grew up in the panhandle. Family is still there as is the cattle operation. I would love to move back, but can't make the living needed. Indeed, without my DFW income heavily subsidizing the cattle operation many years (including this year) our family would be out of the cattle business.
No Spin Ag
neil88 said:

No Spin Ag said:

fullback44 said:

People are leaving the Texas Panhandle for one reason - Tacos - per Jill Biden !

Gotta say, you might be on to something, seeing as how that part of Texas isn't known for their local cuisine, or much actually, except....um... Okay, someone help on this one.
except Cadillac Ranch...?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
AgTech88
AG
Pampa Harvester Class of '84 here. Growing up thru the Oil Boom and Bust was a unique experience. My folks lived there all their lives and I still spend time up there. Good people back then and good people there now. Still miss the spectacular lightning storms and the dry air, but don't miss the minimum 25mph wind every day….
Thaddeus73
AG
Great folks up there...Lots of wind and bugs and horseflies, as I recall, camping out at Palo Duro and Caprock Canyon parks...My first experience of getting bitten by huge horseflies...
Slicer97
AG
CDUB98 said:

And you people ragging on The Panhandle can get bent. There are lots of good people up there just trying to make a living who are just as Texan as you.

Lotta good folks living in the East Texas Pineywoods. Don't mean it wouldn't suck to live there.
theeyetest
TX04Aggie said:

Im in Amarillo for night on way to Colorado. It feels so nice outside here, I almost want to cry after the hell Houston has felt like for a month.

Stop by one of the Donut Stops in the morning on your way out and get a cherry donut. You can thank me later.
CanyonAg77
AG
No Spin Ag said:

neil88 said:

No Spin Ag said:

fullback44 said:

People are leaving the Texas Panhandle for one reason - Tacos - per Jill Biden !

Gotta say, you might be on to something, seeing as how that part of Texas isn't known for their local cuisine, or much actually, except....um... Okay, someone help on this one.

Loser, loser. Such a stupid "attraction", placed by a pervert.
Thaddeus73
AG
Charlie Goodnight was a true pioneer, and a VERY hardy man for settling that area....
neil88
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

No Spin Ag said:

neil88 said:

No Spin Ag said:

fullback44 said:

I had no idea. My wife and I were driving from Long Beach, CA to Fairfax, VA back in 2004 and that is the one of only two times I've been through the Panhandle in my lifetime, and the only time I've stopped there for anything other than refilling the old gas guzzler. I grew up in Montgomery, County, so my apologies for not being up to date on the sordid history of Cadillac Ranch.
SunrayAg
AG
B-1 83 said:

CDUB98 said:

B-1 83 said:

Woah….their supply chain will be interesting.

Taking with a grain of salt as he is just an iron worker, not privy to all project details, he said us was for the locals (Panhandle) cows.

Somebody did their homework, hopefully, and sees possibility.
My guess is milk out of New Mexico. Their nutrient management regulations (mainly phosphorus) can be more friendly than Texas.

The largest dairy in North America is 4 miles west of Etter. They are building dairies left and right up here. Many of the owners are moving over from California with their herds because the enviro whackos made it impossible for them to stay in business at home. The new cheese factory being built is beside a gigantic new dairy being built 8 or 9 miles NW of Dumas.

And to the arrogant ***** in the coal powered car who would rather be homeless than live in the panhandle, by all means stay the hell out. We take pride in having nice folks up here. Don't need your kind.
Captain Pablo
AG
Slicer97 said:

CDUB98 said:

And you people ragging on The Panhandle can get bent. There are lots of good people up there just trying to make a living who are just as Texan as you.

Lotta good folks living in the East Texas Pineywoods. Don't mean it wouldn't suck to live there.

That area is losing population as well
LupinusTexensis
Panhandle
Hot as hell in the summer
Colder than a well diggers ass in the winter
Always some sort of icy precip when driving through in the dead of winter
Windy all year
Flatter than a pancake

Beautiful clouds and Palo Duro is cool. The people are always nice and I enjoy my time in Amarillo, but damn, the weather is atrocious.
gkaggie08
AG
REK's cover is better than the original
CDUB98
AG
Slicer97 said:

CDUB98 said:

Nobody in The Panhandle wants your bald noggin' showing up anyway. You smell worse than Hereford.
Thaddeus73
AG
Quote:

Flatter than a pancake
Not true if you go into the canyons....
CDUB98
AG
theeyetest said:

TX04Aggie said:

Stop by one of the Donut Stops in the morning on your way out and get a cherry donut. You can thank me later.

Oh, good lord, those are so good. I have to purposefully stay away.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

While not experiencing the explosive growth of the rest of Texas, a lot of the 26 counites of the Texas Panhandle are actually pretty stable.

Three of the smaller (population) counties have slight increases. About 17 have declines of 800 or less. Four have losses of 1600 or less. Only one (Potter, north Amarillo) has a huge loss, of over 5,000.

All told, 25 counties have a net loss of a little over 13,000.

Randall County (South Amarillo, Canyon, and Happy) has a net gain of 18,678.

So a small net increase, and not a disappearing population, as much as a migrating one.
CDUB98
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

No Spin Ag said:

neil88 said:

No Spin Ag said:

fullback44 said:

I detect no lies.

Highly likely that ******* is not enjoying his just rewards.
LupinusTexensis
CDUB98 said:

theeyetest said:

TX04Aggie said:

Oh, good lord, those are so good. I have to purposefully stay away.

I will have to go there next trek to Co. I leave Dallas at 2 and hit Amarillo for breakfast and gas.
Hey Nav
AG
Canyon,

What is the water situation going forward, concerning agriculture, cattle, etc..?
CDUB98
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

While not experiencing the explosive growth of the rest of Texas, a lot of the 26 counites of the Texas Panhandle are actually pretty stable.

Three of the smaller (population) counties have slight increases. About 17 have declines of 800 or less. Four have losses of 1600 or less. Only one (Potter, north Amarillo) has a huge loss, of over 5,000.

All told, 25 counties have a net loss of a little over 13,000.

Randall County (South Amarillo, Canyon, and Happy) has a net gain of 18,678.

So a small net increase, and not a disappearing population, as much as a migrating one.

Oddly enough, my parents and grandmother moved from Randall county to Potter county in 2020.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Amarillo seems to be growing just fine
CanyonAg77
AG
Thaddeus73 said:

That is an old map. Route 66 was gone, and it was I-40 by 1985. WTAMU has not been West Texas State since 1993. It is newer than 1965, as it has Lake Meredith. I-27 began in about 1975, so that's probably about a 1970 map.
CanyonAg77
AG
Hey Nav said:

Canyon,

What is the water situation going forward, concerning agriculture, cattle, etc..?
Severe declines for row crops continue, but farmers have switched to more and more efficient methods. Where 1960s methods might have required 800 gpm wells, drip can go the same with 200 gpm.
Thaddeus73
AG
Is the Ogallala aquifer holding up OK?

CanyonAg77
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Well, at least we don't have all the Californians moving here.
Funny, I have heard rumors (rumors, only) of Californians buying a $70,000 house in Happy for $200,000.
No Spin Ag
CanyonAg77 said:

Hey Nav said:

Canyon,

Severe declines for row crops continue, but farmers have switched to more and more efficient methods. Where 1960s methods might have required 800 gpm wells, drip can go the same with 200 gpm.

That's some serious advancement.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
CanyonAg77
AG
Thaddeus73 said:

Is the Ogallala aquifer holding up OK?
No.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-ogallala-aquifer/#:~:text=Today%20the%20Ogallala%20Aquifer%20is,keep%20up%20with%20human%20demands.
B-1 83
AG
SunrayAg said:

B-1 83 said:

CDUB98 said:

B-1 83 said:

Woah….their supply chain will be interesting.

Taking with a grain of salt as he is just an iron worker, not privy to all project details, he said us was for the locals (Panhandle) cows.

Somebody did their homework, hopefully, and sees possibility.
My guess is milk out of New Mexico. Their nutrient management regulations (mainly phosphorus) can be more friendly than Texas.

The largest dairy in North America is 4 miles west of Etter. They are building dairies left and right up here. Many of the owners are moving over from California with their herds because the enviro whackos made it impossible for them to stay in business at home. The new cheese factory being built is beside a gigantic new dairy being built 8 or 9 miles NW of Dumas.

And to the arrogant ***** in the coal powered car who would rather be homeless than live in the panhandle, by all means stay the hell out. We take pride in having nice folks up here. Don't need your kind.
I had no idea. Times have changed.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
CanyonAg77
AG
No Spin Ag said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Hey Nav said:

Canyon,

Furrow irrigation used open dirt ditches and siphon tubes. Labor intensive, but the capital and operating expense was a a few dollars per acre, not including the well.

Drip is about $1,800 an acre, plus the well.

Average farmer is probably working at least 2,000 acres.
CDUB98
AG
I'm really concerned for my family still there when that aquifer dries up.
B-1 83
AG
No Spin Ag said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Hey Nav said:

Canyon,

Absolutely. I remember good wells in Dumas doing 800 gpm, and tying two together to get enough in a holding pond to run a half mile pivot.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.