The Vanishing Texas Panhandle population

34,252 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Spider69
Houston Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All I know is that I have to get there by mornin'. Those jerks in Houston took my saddle and then I broke my leg when I was in Sante Fe. Frickin' blind judge.

I hope you guys up there have clothing stores, because everything that I got is just what I've got on...
CDUB98
AG
David Wallace said:

All I know is that I have to get there by mornin'. Those jerks in Houston took my saddle and then I broke my leg when I was in Sante Fe. Frickin' blind judge.

I hope you guys up there have clothing stores, because everything that I got is just what I've got on...

CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

TommyBrady said:
I don't eat that poor quality slop. Everything I eat comes from producers I know. Keep defending destroying that aquifer its a good look for ya.

CDUB98 said:

TommyBrady said:

I forgot we aren't allowed to challenge anyone even when they try to belittle you.

You're not challenging anyone. You're condemning an entire group of people who have put food on the table for millions of people. You are attacking their lives and livelihood.

You need to retreat back into your ivory tower and contemplate what your life would be like without farmers and ranchers like canyonag.

I'm glad you quoted him, CDUB. I missed his inane little tantrums, because he did a crawdad and edited them out.

Reveals a lot about the poster.
techno-ag
AG
I've driven through the Panhandle a few times. Really makes you think.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

CanyonAg77
AG
TommyBrady said:

Canyon Ag you are a hero

What is wrong with you?
TommyBrady
AG
When do you think small towns will start growing again?
Hammerly High Dive Crips
CanyonAg77 said:

TommyBrady said:

Canyon Ag you are a hero

What is wrong with you?
Young white liberal who has never recovered from pandemic induced mental breakdown is my guess.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
SunrayAg
AG
Destroying the aquifer? How exactly is utilizing a resource destroying it?

I'm thirsty.

There's a bucket of water right beside me.

But I'm not allowed to drink the water because that would lower the level of the water bucket for future thirsty people. So another thirsty guy comes along. Can he drink from the bucket? Or are we just supposed to leave the bucket perpetually full? What good is a bucket of water if a thirsty person can't drink from it?

Yes the level of the aquifer has been lowered. It's still there. There are water districts and conservation practices in place to regulate usage and try to keep it as a viable resource for as long as practical.

But the resource will be utilized.
TommyBrady
AG
I agree with everything you said. I really can't wait to see how the area grows and changes over the next 20 years. Hopefully small towns will make a comeback with WFH options.
Jack Boyett
AG
Is the population vanishing? I know the city limit sign in my own town up here has fluctuated +/-100 for the last 30 years. Pretty much just stays the same.

Isn't that the future for the whole country if birth rates don't increase?
neil88
AG
Not if the Southern Border stays wide open. That may more than replace the current population and then some, with a definite change in the demographics to boot!
TommyBrady
AG
How long until Amarillo is majority hispanic?
neil88
AG
How would I know, I'm not a biologist!
MagnumLoad
Burdizzo said:

nortex97 said:

I always knew Amarillo would someday recover from LBJ's hatefulness.

Refresh my memory on LBJ and Amarillo.

NM. I looked it up. LBJ was such an ass
LBJ stole the Texas senate election from Coke Stevenson. Dead people voting in south Texas. Dems have been at this a very long time. They just got waay better at it. Democrat - party of thugs and crooks.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
CanyonAg77
AG
For those that don't know the story, the Amarillo area was one of the only spots in Texas that voted for Goldwater in 1964

In 1965, LBJ announced the closing of Amarillo AFB. Height of both the Cold War and Vietnam. It was a SAC base, with B-52s, one of the 5 longest runways on the US (now down to #12 or so). Three foot thick concrete where they parked the alert aircraft. Ten foot thick on the end of the runway where planes touched down. Pipelines to deliver jet fuel directly from the refineries, 60 miles away. Five miles down the road from the plant that assembled nuclear weapons. On Route 66 (now I40) and highway 60. . Rail service directly onto the base

So, obviously, just a little backwater base with no redeeming features.

Moral of the story: Don't cross a Democrat, or they will stab you in the back
MagnumLoad
CanyonAg77 said:

For those that don't know the story, the Amarillo area was one of the only spots in Texas that voted for Goldwater in 1964

In 1965, LBJ announced the closing of Amarillo AFB. Height of both the Cold War and Vietnam. It was a SAC base, with B-52s, one of the 5 longest runways on the US (now down to #12 or so). Three foot thick concrete where they parked the alert aircraft. Ten foot thick on the end of the runway where planes touched down. Pipelines to deliver jet fuel directly from the refineries, 60 miles away. Five miles down the road from the plant that assembled nuclear weapons. On Route 66 (now I40) and highway 60. . Rail service directly onto the base

Or worse. Thank you for the info.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
CanyonAg77
AG
If anyone else cares about such Trivia, AMA is now #74 world wide and #21 in the US for runway length. Many of these airports (like Denver) have been built in the last half century

Does not count about 10 salt flat runways such as Edwards and Area 51
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I would assume that every major airport has a pipeline bringing in fuel.
CanyonAg77
AG
eric76 said:

Why would you assume that?
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

eric76 said:

Why would you assume that?
How many tanker trucks of jet fuel would it take to fill one B-52?

Or any modern passenger aircraft?

I think that even the old Boeing 727 would take an entire large fuel tank to fill it up with jet fuel.

Looking it up, according to one site it takes nearly 45,000 gallons to completely fuel a B-52. At about 7,500 gallons per truck, filling one empty B-52 to capacity would take six entire loads and part of a seventh.

Very large aircraft such as the Airbus A340-600 takes nearly as much as a B-52. At any large airport, figure from one to six truckloads of fuel whenever they fuel a large passenger jet.
tony
AG
I know I'm late to the party but the reasons I like living in the panhandle.

1. Easier access to the mountains. I can hit skiing or fly fishing in under 5 hours. Day trips are doable.

2. Work it right and you can get a job that pays Houston or Austin area salaries and you get to lbuy houses at Amarillo prices.
Spider69
AG
TommyBrady said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Thaddeus73 said:

Is the Ogallala aquifer holding up OK?
No.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-ogallala-aquifer/#:~:text=Today%20the%20Ogallala%20Aquifer%20is,keep%20up%20with%20human%20demands.

Its absolutely disgusting how much damage to the aquifer has been done by the people of the panhandle.

Suggest you brush up on Texas groundwater laws Tommy! That water is the property of the landowner subject only to any restrictions from a local water conservation board or district. It's their right to use it within those limits. I'm all in favor of conservation, efficient irrigation practices, but I or no one else has a say in how they use their property. They can't tell you how you can use your property. I lived in Amarillo for 30 years. I loved it! I moved on retirement for family, medical reasons. All my three Aggie children ('92, '94, '01) graduated from Amarillo High School. My 30 years (Oct. 1983 to May 2013) was spent working on Agricultural research for USDA-ARS at Bushland, TX (~10 mi W of Amarillo on I-40) attempting to improve water management in agriculture, advance irrigation technology, and precisely measure the water consumed in irrigated and dryland agriculture production. I don't know a Panhandle producer that can afford to waste or to misuse groundwater and not be bankrupt in a short time. The producers that I knew and worked with were aware of the importance in using their groundwater efficiently,
SunrayAg
AG
Spider69 said:

TommyBrady said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Thaddeus73 said:

Is the Ogallala aquifer holding up OK?
No.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-ogallala-aquifer/#:~:text=Today%20the%20Ogallala%20Aquifer%20is,keep%20up%20with%20human%20demands.

Its absolutely disgusting how much damage to the aquifer has been done by the people of the panhandle.

Suggest you brush up on Texas groundwater laws Tommy! That water is the property of the landowner subject only to any restrictions from a local water conservation board or district. It's their right to use it within those limits. I'm all in favor of conservation, efficient irrigation practices, but I or no one else has a say in how they use their property. They can't tell you how you can use your property. I lived in Amarillo for 30 years. I loved it! I moved on retirement for family, medical reasons. All my three Aggie children ('92, '94, '01) graduated from Amarillo High School. My 30 years (Oct. 1983 to May 2013) was spent working on Agricultural research for USDA-ARS at Bushland, TX (~10 mi W of Amarillo on I-40) attempting to improve water management in agriculture, advance irrigation technology, and precisely measure the water consumed in irrigated and dryland agriculture production. I don't know a Panhandle producer that can afford to waste or to misuse groundwater and not be bankrupt in a short time. The producers that I knew and worked with were aware of the importance in using their groundwater efficiently,

I probably know you. My wife worked for A&M at bushland in the mid 90's before moving to the Etter station in 98 ish.
Burdizzo
AG
I like Amarillo. Don't care much for Lubbock. Lots of wonderful people up there, and over the years I have gained an appreciation for it. Spending three summers on a harvest crew helped me appreciate it.

Central Texas will always be my home, but I do love the Panhandle and its people.

(sorry. Fat fingered the emoticon)
WestTxWood88
AG
Your aunt deserves a medal, donut shop is a panhandle staple. A few years ago Krispy Kreme came into town and ran away less than a year later with their tail between their legs.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I probably know you. My wife worked for A&M at bushland in the mid 90's before moving to the Etter station in 98 ish.
I do know him.

I worked at Bushland 1982-1984, then Lubbock Station for a year. Well before your wife's time, but I bet we knew some of the same folks.

I just drove by Bushland on Tuesday, after not having been that way in a decade. The growth of homes and businesses out there absolutely blew me away.
CanyonAg77
AG
WestTxWood88 said:

Your aunt deserves a medal, donut shop is a panhandle staple. A few years ago Krispy Kreme came into town and ran away less than a year later with their tail between their legs.

We have a local place in Canyon called "Got Donuts". It's one of the Cambodian donut places. The owners were from the Dallas area, moved to Canyon when their daughters started WT.

Nothing against his aunt's place, but I prefer our local one. Sorry she had to close the Canyon store, nothing wrong with competition.
TequilaMockingbird
annie88 said:

I once had a boyfriend from Pampa.
Did you let him do any harvesting?

Hi-yoooo!!!!!
hunter2012
AG
TequilaMockingbird
CanyonAg77 said:

TequilaMockingbird said:

Same hotel would be something like $109 in Amarillo. I thought maybe the rodeo was in town or something.
Maybe oil and gas, maybe windmill workers. Maybe just demand due to fewer choices.

BBQ cookoff this coming weekend
Moot point anyway. We booked one on I40 and Soncy in Amarillo. Headed to Colorado Springs the next day. Probably get up and hit up Calico County for breakfast, then go on Tascosa Road to check out the floating mesa thing I've read about. Will likely veer off to see Johnson Mesa on your recommendation. Hoping to make it to Pueblo in time to purchase some edibles (or something) to see if THC will have a positive effect on a tremor I have had in my right arm after a stroke from a couple of years ago.

Will be back in town in September for a Tascosa football game at Dick Bivens, unless they move it to Canyon as they have the past two times we've played.
SunrayAg
AG
For some reason this thread reminded me of this...

agent-maroon
AG
Thaddeus73 said:

Charlie Goodnight was a true pioneer, and a VERY hardy man for settling that area....
Had occasion to travel from Amarillo to Pampa once a week for a class that left me with an hour to kill. Passed by this historical marker every time and finally got bored enough to stop and see what it was about. It was a couple of ancient dying trees (Chinese elm, maybe?) that you see in spots driving around West Texas surrounded by a 2 foot wrought iron fence. The history? It was to commemorate the first trees known to have been planted in the Panhandle and they were planted by Goodnight himself. This was in the mid-80's so there is no telling how old those trees were then. I've searched google earth but can't find it so they must have died and the marker removed.

But where else in the whole world could you actually identify the first trees growing?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agent-maroon
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Thaddeus73 said:

That is an old map. Route 66 was gone, and it was I-40 by 1985. WTAMU has not been West Texas State since 1993. It is newer than 1965, as it has Lake Meredith. I-27 began in about 1975, so that's probably about a 1970 map.
Not just to be correcting you or anything, but I-40 was already in place when we moved to Amarillo from Lubbock in 1972. I-27 was already under construction as well, but I didn't recall anybody referring to it as an interstate until the mid-90's. But I could be wrong about I-27.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Thaddeus73
AG
I really wish they would FINISH I-27, not only in Texas, but to I-25 as well...INTER state - HELLO!

https://www.acppubs.com/articles/ports-to-plains-highway-act-to-expand-i-27-in-texas
rilloaggie
AG
Quote:

I didn't recall anybody referring to it as an interstate until the mid-90's.

Still called the "Canyon E-way" to my mom/grandma!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.