***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,536,240 Views | 47716 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by 74OA
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gilligan said:

74OA said:

More on France officially sending SCALP cruise missiles. Will supplement the limited availability of the UK's Storm Shadow missiles.

Today's SITREP.

Domestic configuration is 350 miles. Export configuration is 155 miles. Why keep tying the Ukes hands behind their backs?

It's frustrating!
This is purely my opinion - because the powers at be want to bleed Russia more than they want the conflict to end.
AgLA06
AG
Gilligan said:

74OA said:

More on France officially sending SCALP cruise missiles. Will supplement the limited availability of the UK's Storm Shadow missiles.

Today's SITREP.

Domestic configuration is 350 miles. Export configuration is 155 miles. Why keep tying the Ukes hands behind their backs?

It's frustrating!
You realized there's a reason for that right?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Beat40 said:

Gilligan said:

74OA said:

Today's SITREP.

It's frustrating!
This is purely my opinion - because the powers at be want to bleed Russia more than they want the conflict to end.

It's because all countries have domestic and export versions of weapons. It isn't that they're not giving them the domestic version, it's that they don't give anyone the domestic version. Everything we've given them has been an export version or downgraded for export. For example, we took some of the networking and fire control equipment from the M777's and replaced the armor package on the M1's they're getting. We want to help, but we're not willing to just let go of everything.
74OA
AG
Agree, but we don't know for sure yet which version is being sent. I'll be surprised if it isn't the export model and there's good reasons for that.
74OA
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Beat40 said:

Gilligan said:

74OA said:

Today's SITREP.

It's frustrating!

It's because all countries have domestic and export versions of weapons. It isn't that they're not giving them the domestic version, it's that they don't give anyone the domestic version. Everything we've given them has been an export version or downgraded for export. For example, we took some of the networking and fire control equipment from the M777's and replaced the armor package on the M1's they're getting. We want to help, but we're not willing to just let go of everything.
Yep, not everything is a damn conspiracy.
P.U.T.U
AG
150 miles in a war like Ukraine does not allow them to hit a city like Moscow from Ukraine territory. The 350 mile version would. France does not want to be linked to a missile attack on the Kremlin in Moscow since Russia could view this as an act of war from France. That is why a lot of countries limit the range of their long distance weapon exports. Common practice for more reasons than what I just listed
74OA
AG
Yes, it's certainly been said often enough by any number of US and international leaders.
Ulysses90
AG
PJYoung said:

agent-maroon said:

Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

Baza writes that person who killed Stanislav Rzhitsky, deputy head of mobilization for Krasnodar, could have tracked his movements using a jogging app.

According to the channel, Rzhitsky used Strava, a popular running app, regularly posting reports about his runs. Baza also specifies that he almost always ran along the same route.

"Thus, the killer had no difficulty choosing a convenient spot for the massacre," writes Baza.
https://meduza.io/en/news/2023/07/11/killed-former-submarine-commander-in-krasnodar-could-have-been-tracked-by-running-app

Mossad:

74OA
AG
Russia has good reason to be unhappy at Sweden joining NATO.

BALTIC
p_bubel
Ulysses90 said:

PJYoung said:

agent-maroon said:

Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

Baza writes that person who killed Stanislav Rzhitsky, deputy head of mobilization for Krasnodar, could have tracked his movements using a jogging app.

According to the channel, Rzhitsky used Strava, a popular running app, regularly posting reports about his runs. Baza also specifies that he almost always ran along the same route.

"Thus, the killer had no difficulty choosing a convenient spot for the massacre," writes Baza.
https://meduza.io/en/news/2023/07/11/killed-former-submarine-commander-in-krasnodar-could-have-been-tracked-by-running-app

Mossad:

74OA
AG
Worth watching. Scroll past the ad. Rather than physically overrunning it, I still think much of what Ukraine needs to accomplish against Russian logistics can be done by getting the sole east-west rail LOC into HIMARS range.

Beat40
Appreciate the multiple clarifications.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I have to wonder what's stopping Ukraine from using shell companies to buy a small container ship, sail it from a neutral port to somewhere in the Sea of Azov with a load of ammonium nitrate or other explosives, and then blow it under the kerch bridge to cut Russian logistics. Or, buy a cheap, used ice breaker, spoof its transponder to call it a cargo ship, and remotely run it full speed into the lower bridge decks.
74OA
AG
"Russia's economy dealt a crushing blow as its current-account surplus collapses by 93%."

Can someone spell out the practical impact of this, please?

CRASH
74OA
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I have to wonder what's stopping Ukraine from using shell companies to buy a small container ship, sail it from a neutral port to somewhere in the Sea of Azov with a load of ammonium nitrate or other explosives, and then blow it under the kerch bridge to cut Russian logistics. Or, buy a cheap, used ice breaker, spoof its transponder to call it a cargo ship, and remotely run it full speed into the lower bridge decks.
Well, a ship-borne attack is a fairly obvious ploy and I'd imagine Russian security in the sea approaches to such a key LOC is very tight?
aggiehawg
AG
From your article:
Quote:

"The decline in the surplus of the balance of the external trade in goods in January June 2023 compared to the comparable period of 2022 was caused by a decrease in both the physical volumes of export deliveries and the deterioration in the price situation for the basic Russian export commodities, energy commodities made the most significant contribution to the decline in the value of exports," the Bank of Russia said.

Moscow's key source of revenue is through sales of its oil and gas products, but price caps and bans imposed on Russia's energy exports by a pool of nations following its unprecedented attack on Ukraine, have meant its commodities business has taken a huge hit.

In June, Russia's Finance Ministry revealed that revenue from oil and gas taxes fell 36% compared to a year ago to about 570.7 billion rubles, while profits from crude and petroleum products tumbled 31% to 425.7 billion rubles.
74OA
AG
Yes, that explains why it crashed but not the resultant impact on Russian finances.

How does a "current account surplus" crash impact day-to-day governmental operations?
TXAggie2011
AG
74OA said:

Yes, that explains why it crashed but not the resultant impact on Russian finances.

How does a "current account surplus" crash impact day-to-day governmental operations?
My really basic 2 cents: Current account surplus essentially means you're a net exporter. Generally, that's a good thing as it means more money coming in than going out. I don't think the impact is immediate, but over time it means Russia's foreign currency reserves will start to dwindle. Eventually, they could run out of reserves such that they have to borrow money to pay some of the bills. That may not be a particularly big deal if people want to lend money to you. Its quickly a bigger deal if people don't want to lend money to you.
ABATTBQ11
AG
74OA said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Well, a ship-borne attack is a fairly obvious ploy and I'd imagine Russian security in the sea approaches to such a key LOC is very tight?

That's why you make it look like any other ship transiting through. Use a shell company to buy a ship or a company that already owns one. Use another to create a shipping contract from a neutral port to somewhere in the Sea of Azov along with others afterwards. Go through all the official channels and make it look as real as you need to. The only thing fake would be the cargo or the name on the side. I mean who's really expecting the world's biggest VBIED in a 300'+ ocean going vessel or an 8 figure battering ram?
74OA
AG
Thanks.
Gilligan
AG
74OA said:

Yes, it's certainly been said often enough by any number of US and international leaders.

Fully understand the position that the UK, France, US has on long range weapons, but I'd like to see an end to this war and all the death and destruction. Long range weapons would hopefully shorten this war.

Kerch bridge / rail lines, etc…
Waffledynamics
AG
Interesting thread about American training of the Ukrainians, from a Ukrainian perspective:

Unrolled thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1679223826398212096.html
Who?mikejones!
Sounds like a lot of hurry up and wait
74OA
AG
The Ukrainian bridgehead on the Russian side of the Dnipro River still holds.

Today's SITREP.
Waffledynamics
AG
AgLA06
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Sounds like a lot of hurry up and wait

Sounds like we wasted their time
Burrus86
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Interesting thread about American training of the Ukrainians, from a Ukrainian perspective:

Unrolled thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1679223826398212096.html

Maybe these Ukrainians were talking about the 2021 TEXAS Rangers teaching them.
LMCane
Gilligan said:

74OA said:

Fully understand the position that the UK, France, US has on long range weapons, but I'd like to see an end to this war and all the death and destruction. Long range weapons would hopefully shorten this war.

Kerch bridge / rail lines, etc…
UNLESS the Ukes want to keep the Kerch bridge standing up..

so that all the Russkies in Crimea can run back across it into Russia.
LMCane
Mutinous Wagner mercenary group boss Yevgeny Prigozhin is likely either dead or jailed, and his much-publicized meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin after his botched rebellion was probably faked, according to a former senior US military leader.

Retired Gen. Robert Abrams, an ABC News contributor who previously served as the commander of US Forces Korea, shared his thoughts on Prigozhin's uncertain fate in the aftermath of the Wagner Group's short-lived armed insurrection last month.

"My personal assessment is that I doubt we'll see Prigozhin ever again publicly," Abrams told ABC News. "I think he'll either be put in hiding, or sent to prison, or dealt with some other way, but I doubt we'll ever see him again."
LMCane
whatever Ukraine is doing- keep it up!

Russian general dismissed after accusing top brass of failing soldiers

The general said he raised the "mass death and injury" of Russian soldiers from Ukrainian artillery.
By REUTERS Published: JULY 13, 2023 07:45

A Russian general said he had been dismissed as a commander after telling the military leadership about the dire situation at the front in Ukraine where he said Russian soldiers had been stabbed in the back by the failings of the top military brass.

Major General Ivan Popov, who commanded the 58th Combined Arms Army, which was involved in fighting in the Zaporizhzhia region, said in a voice message published by Russian lawmaker Andrey Gurulyov on Telegram that he had been dismissed.

There was no immediate comment from the defense ministry and Reuters was unable to verify the authenticity of the voice message. Lawmaker Gurulyov is a hardline former army commander who regularly appears on state television.

"There was a tough situation with the senior bosses in which it was necessary either to keep quiet and be a coward or to say it the way it is," Popov said.

"I had no right to lie in the name of you, in the name of my fallen comrades in arms, so I outlined all the problems which exist."
benchmark
AG
From ISW yesterday evening.
Quote:

Chief of the Russian General Staff Army General Valery Gerasimov reportedly fired Commander of the 58th CAA Major General Ivan Popov after Popov voiced his concerns over the need for troop rotations in western Zaporizhia Oblast amidst Ukrainian counteroffensives.[30] A source reportedly affiliated with the Russian security services claimed that Popov notified Gerasimov that elements of the 58th CAA which are attempting to prevent Ukrainian advances in western Zaporizhia Oblast are in need of rotation after fighting in combat for a long time and suffering significant casualties.[31] Gerasimov reportedly accused Popov of alarmism and blackmailing the Russian military command. The source added that Gerasimov dismissed Popov and sent him to forward positions after Popov threatened to appeal to Russian President Vladimir Putin with his complaint. Another Russian source who appears to be in contact with Russian forces in occupied Zaporizhia Oblast stated that his sources confirmed Popov's dismissal after he raised a "real" question about the lack of rotations in Polohy Raion on the Orikhiv frontline.[32] These reports, if true, may support ISW's previous assessments that Russian forces lack operational reserves that would allow them to carry out rotations of personnel defending against Ukrainian counteroffensives and that Russian defensive lines may be brittle.[33]
LMCane
benchmark said:

From ISW yesterday evening.
Quote:

Chief of the Russian General Staff Army General Valery Gerasimov reportedly fired Commander of the 58th CAA Major General Ivan Popov after Popov voiced his concerns over the need for troop rotations in western Zaporizhia Oblast amidst Ukrainian counteroffensives.[30] A source reportedly affiliated with the Russian security services claimed that Popov notified Gerasimov that elements of the 58th CAA which are attempting to prevent Ukrainian advances in western Zaporizhia Oblast are in need of rotation after fighting in combat for a long time and suffering significant casualties.[31] Gerasimov reportedly accused Popov of alarmism and blackmailing the Russian military command. The source added that Gerasimov dismissed Popov and sent him to forward positions after Popov threatened to appeal to Russian President Vladimir Putin with his complaint. Another Russian source who appears to be in contact with Russian forces in occupied Zaporizhia Oblast stated that his sources confirmed Popov's dismissal after he raised a "real" question about the lack of rotations in Polohy Raion on the Orikhiv frontline.[32] These reports, if true, may support ISW's previous assessments that Russian forces lack operational reserves that would allow them to carry out rotations of personnel defending against Ukrainian counteroffensives and that Russian defensive lines may be brittle.[33]

may be time to see a few Leopards heading south from Zaporizhe
Waffledynamics
AG
This is a heat map of geolocated videos for June.

benchmark
AG
LMCane said:

may be time to see a few Leopards heading south from Zaporizhe
It's now day 35 since the counteroffensive started June 8th. The Desert Storm air war lasted 43 days. So, maybe 90-100 days for the Ukes to attrit everything within range as they claw forward ... with a possible breakout in September?
No Spin Ag
LMCane said:

whatever Ukraine is doing- keep it up!

Russian general dismissed after accusing top brass of failing soldiers

The general said he raised the "mass death and injury" of Russian soldiers from Ukrainian artillery.
By REUTERS Published: JULY 13, 2023 07:45

A Russian general said he had been dismissed as a commander after telling the military leadership about the dire situation at the front in Ukraine where he said Russian soldiers had been stabbed in the back by the failings of the top military brass.

Major General Ivan Popov, who commanded the 58th Combined Arms Army, which was involved in fighting in the Zaporizhzhia region, said in a voice message published by Russian lawmaker Andrey Gurulyov on Telegram that he had been dismissed.

There was no immediate comment from the defense ministry and Reuters was unable to verify the authenticity of the voice message. Lawmaker Gurulyov is a hardline former army commander who regularly appears on state television.

"There was a tough situation with the senior bosses in which it was necessary either to keep quiet and be a coward or to say it the way it is," Popov said.

"I had no right to lie in the name of you, in the name of my fallen comrades in arms, so I outlined all the problems which exist."

You know things are going south when.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
First Page Last Page
Page 1143 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.