***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,536,220 Views | 47716 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by 74OA
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LMCane said:

Mutinous Wagner mercenary group boss Yevgeny Prigozhin is likely either dead or jailed, and his much-publicized meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin after his botched rebellion was probably faked, according to a former senior US military leader.

Retired Gen. Robert Abrams, an ABC News contributor who previously served as the commander of US Forces Korea, shared his thoughts on Prigozhin's uncertain fate in the aftermath of the Wagner Group's short-lived armed insurrection last month.

"My personal assessment is that I doubt we'll see Prigozhin ever again publicly," Abrams told ABC News. "I think he'll either be put in hiding, or sent to prison, or dealt with some other way, but I doubt we'll ever see him again."
I think none of these on-the-outside retired/former soldiers and spies have any idea what is going on. Someone will be right, he's either dead or he's alive, but they're all just making stuff up at this point.

Quote:

"I don't see any evidence that he's been killed," retired US Army Brig. Gen. Kevin Ryan told Insider on Wednesday of Prigozhin, adding that he also does not suspect the financier and founder of the Russian paramilitary group to be currently locked up.

"What's the point of doing that and not saying that you've done that?" said Ryan, who served as the defense attach to Russia for the US.
https://www.businessinsider.com/wagner-boss-yevgeny-prigozhin-likely-isnt-dead-former-us-general-2023-7
PJYoung
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
I can't imagine someone saying, "Ok, here's your weapons," and then opening a crate of antiques older than my grandparents.
AgLA06
AG
That looked like a Tommy Gun in the middle of the video
ABATTBQ11
AG
AgLA06 said:

It's based on a Finnish design that itself dates back to the mid-20's
Squadron7
AG
Old guns are bad enough....but have a look at those combat sandals.
LarryElder
PJYoung said:

if the russian army is this porus shouldn't UKE be steamrolling them?
SmallBusiness
AgLA06 said:

Was that a bayonet at the end?
sclaff
AG
More info on how Popov popped off and got fired.

P.U.T.U
AG
Because this is an artillery, drone, and mine war. Small arms seem to be a small percentage of the casualties compared to those. Russia fires thousands of rounds of artillery a day
Ag In Ok
AG
Oh the irony that a country that created and built arguably the best modern mass produced rifle, the AK-47, cannot produce enough for their own army. Or produce much of anything at this point.
AgLA06
AG
LarryElder said:

PJYoung said:

The reality is those firearms, while ancient are quite useful in the close quarter, corner turning trench warfare.
Rossticus
Let's hope that the ammo they're handing out is as old as the guns.
ABATTBQ11
AG
LarryElder said:

PJYoung said:

Not necessarily. Not every unit is going to be armed like this, and Russia still has a lot of mines, fortifications, and artillery to go through. They won't be able to thunder run their way through like they did in the east, at least not for awhile. They are still working on asymmetrically attriting and depleting Russia before trying to overwhelm them.
74OA
AG
LarryElder said:

PJYoung said:

More to the point, this is among the reasons the Russian army can't steamroll the Ukrainians.
MouthBQ98
AG
Those old 7.62x25 of 9mm arms won't be quite as useful as something firing an intermediate cartridge now that body armor is so prevalent. It's better than nothing but less than ideal. Seeing those museum pieces issued is interesting considering how many SKS and AK 47/74 and other older models they should have in storage. They probably have a TON of old mines and RPG, but they've got to be having issues with more modern infantry weapons for AT purposes.
If they keep being ground down logistically, they will become vulnerable at some point to a broader attack that they don't have the mobile reserves to repel.
74OA
AG
Ukraine has already taken delivery of US cluster shells.

DPICM

......and the French cruise missiles, too.

SCALP

Pepe SiIvia
AG
PJYoung said:

****ers are playing Tarkov IRL at this point
Gilligan
AG
74OA said:

Ukraine has already taken delivery of US cluster shells.

DPICM

......and the French cruise missiles, too.

SCALP

Put them to good use!
Gilligan
AG
74OA said:

LarryElder said:

PJYoung said:

More to the point, this is among the reasons the Russian army can't steamroll the Ukrainians.

I'd like to have one of each for my imaginary collection.

…not for use in an active conflict!
Stressboy
AG
It is interesting how much the proxy wars may have eaten into their small arms inventory. Supplying insurgents and terrorists used that equipment and not the big stuff that just sat in warehouses.

You would think the CCP would be sending them air shipments full of AKs but I guess not.
Ulysses90
AG
74OA said:

LarryElder said:

PJYoung said:

Yeah, until you need an ammo resupply.

"Oleg, bring me four more magazines of 7.63x25mm Mauser ammo, fast!"
PJYoung
AG
pagerman @ work
AG
Stressboy said:

It is interesting how much the proxy wars may have eaten into their small arms inventory. Supplying insurgents and terrorists used that equipment and not the big stuff that just sat in warehouses.

You would think the CCP would be sending them air shipments full of AKs but I guess not.

I wonder what role abandoned stockpiles in former soviet satellite countries played in the depletion? It seems they left behind huge amounts of small arms when the left Eastern Europe in the immediate post-war period.
Stressboy
AG
pagerman @ work said:

Stressboy said:

I wonder what roll abandoned stockpiles in former soviet satellite countries played in the depletion? It seems they left behind huge amounts of small arms when the left Eastern Europe in the immediate post-war period.

That has to be a huge bit of it but they have been making arms for everyone for 3 decades since the wall fell. Seems like they would have a decent supply chain. They have plenty of raw material and the processing / manufacturing is low tech.

I guess the scale of losses are too much to keep up. Maybe some of those big ammo dump explosions during last years Ukrainian offensive took out a lot of their spares.
Ag97
AG
My guess is most of the modern firearms were probably sold on the black market via the generals and Oligarchs. AK47's that were shown on paper being in a warehouse somewhere in central Russia were probably sold years prior to some African, Mexican or South American dictator or cartel. It's probably a lot harder to black market artillery ammo and such.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

My guess is most of the modern firearms were probably sold on the black market via the generals and Oligarchs. AK47's that were shown on paper being in a warehouse somewhere in central Russia were probably sold years prior to some African, Mexican or South American dictator or cartel. It's probably a lot harder to black market artillery ammo and such.
Saw a documentary about that a year or so ago. (It was older than that but the first time I had seen it.)

After the Soviet Union fell, arms dealers proliferated selling Soviet stuff primarily to cartels. Helicopters even submarines. Was pretty wild from that documentary.
JFABNRGR
AG
Gilligan said:

74OA said:

LarryElder said:

PJYoung said:

I'd like to have one of each for my imaginary collection.

…not for use in an active conflict!

And after it was commandeered in a russian trench that was just rolled by the Ukes using American assets.
pagerman @ work
AG
Rossticus
Who?mikejones!
Rossticus
benchmark
AG
Good read. Too many disgruntled Russian generals can be dangerous.

The Telegraph: Russian general's outburst is an earthquake for Vladimir Putin
Quote:

Major General Ivan Popov may not have intended his explosive farewell message to Russia's 58th army to reach the public. It was first sent in private to a former general and MP in Putin's party.

But whether he wanted to or not, he has exposed a mire of paranoia, mistrust, and resentment that if unaddressed could paralyse the Russian war machine.

In peacetime, publicly accusing a superior officer of incompetence and betrayal would be a serious breach of discipline.

Accusing the high command of a "stab in the back" in the middle of a major war and just a few weeks after a mutiny nearly toppled the government is on a whole other plane of insubordination.
agwrestler
AG
PJYoung said:

Still effective at killing Nazis...
74OA
AG
Mutiny stirs discontent in Russian military leadership.

Today's SITREP.
First Page Last Page
Page 1144 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.