***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,599,479 Views | 47846 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by sclaff
DCPD158
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aezmvp said:

74OA said:

aezmvp said:

The problem for Belarus is that they have an active insurgency opposition that is itching to over throw their government. The army wants exactly zero part of this conflict due to the fact that they barely hung on to power before and really it was only due to the Russians sending in forces. I'm not sure that the opposition would be so afraid of the Russians now if Belarus had to send its fairly small army to the front.

Word very early on is that if it was a complete roll over Belarus would have entered to try and cut off retreat from Kyiv but they never got close to launching because of how poorly it went. After watching the cream of the Russians get ground down over the last 9 months I'm certain that the Belarussian army has zero desire to go right into new defensive lines that have been built over 9 months with limited to no reserves in winter.

It's true that Putin might give them no choice but the consequences would be chaotic and impossible for anyone to predict accurately.
The posturing with Belarus has two principal benefits for Putin.

Politically, despite worldwide condemnation and sanctions, he makes the point to the world and his own people that Russia nonetheless still has friends and allies who are willing to welcome him.

Militarily, even if he cannot convince/compel Belarus to join in an actual attack, by just staging large joint military exercises and demonstrations near Kiev he ties down Ukrainian forces in the northwest that would otherwise be fighting Russia in the east and south.

Putin may not gain much in the end, but it costs him next to nothing to put on a threatening show with Belarus.
I totally agree with all points. It would be imprudent to the point of reckless not to have troops up there if you're the Ukraine, but I probably would station token forces and a mobile reserve spread out in a few spots to be able to respond to incursions. The Ukraine could lose a war up there, but it'd be hard due to the condition of Belaurssian and Russian forces. They're so poor that I'm pretty sure your average National Guard could wipe the floor with them PDQ. The Belarussians have really shown very very little capability at all.
The Belarussian military seems reluctant to contemplate a move south. Some of the military leaders have stated they will refuse the orders
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
This is what happens when your dictator gets re-elected in a sham election that he really lost by about a 40% margin. Nobody wants to follow him. If they send troops into Ukraine, there's going to be a rebellion back home.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
74OA
AG
As Putin flounders, concerns grow about armed factions within Russia.

"Different factions within the government," he said, "will fight for the power [to rule] because evidently the competition between clans will increase … because they have a lot of weapons now. Even criminals have weapons. Chechens have weapons. Internal Ministry has weapons. The Defense Ministry has weapons. KGB the FSB have weapons. Everybody has weapons."

GUNS
Ag In Ok
AG
The chechens getting anywhere close to a nuke is frightening. Makes current events look like child's play.
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
lb3
AG
74OA said:

"Different factions within the government," he said, "will fight for the power [to rule] because evidently the competition between clans will increase … because they have a lot of weapons now. Even criminals have weapons. Chechens have weapons. Internal Ministry has weapons. The Defense Ministry has weapons. KGB the FSB have weapons. Everybody has weapons."

GUNS
I put my money on Wagner being on the winning side of any coup.
fullback44
AG
74OA said:

GUNS

Very interesting article .. not sure how real that is but if if it's even close I see problems down the road over there, I just hope what ever happens that those nukes don't end up in the wrong hands …. That would not be a good thing
74OA
AG
Zelensky visits frontline troops again. BAKHMUT

Waffledynamics
AG
Zelensky is able to visit Bakhmut of all places? What a ****ing ****show for Russia. That's humiliating.

That city must be holding stronger than I thought.
74OA
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Zelensky is able to visit Bakhmut of all places? What a ****ing ****show for Russia. That's humiliating.

That city must be holding stronger than I thought.
.......that and Zelensky's cojones can be seen from space. You can hear artillery in the background.

Waffledynamics
AG
Drone footage of some combat in Eastern Bakhmut.

JFABNRGR
AG
He is the right man for the right job at the right time. A true lead from the front commander. I feel sorry for those who dont like or respect him.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
I already have a dog
AG
JFABNRGR said:

He is the right man for the right job at the right time. A true lead from the front commander. I feel sorry for those who dont like or respect him.

Very much like Churchill in that he is a flawed man who most would probably find distasteful in "normal" times. Absolutely the right person for this moment though.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Three people were killed, one was injured in an explosion on the Urengoy-Pomary-Uzhgorod gas pipeline in Chuvashia

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/20-december-three-people-were-killed-one-was-injured-in-an

This is several hundred km east of Moscow.
74OA
AG
Interesting article on the transformational effect of technology on the Ukrainian battlefield.

ALGORITHMIC WARFARE
AgLA06
AG
I already have a dog said:

JFABNRGR said:

Very much like Churchill in that he is a flawed man who most would probably find distasteful in "normal" times. Absolutely the right person for this moment though.

Seems a bit much. If we knew as much about our historical great leaders as there is today for the world's leaders (both legit and fake), history class would be very different.
Blackbeard94
AG

JFABNRGR said:

I think that the comparison is very fair. I have often thought of Churchill when reading stories about Zelensky and his leadership in this war. I have no idea what is distasteful about either man.

I think the opposite comparison of Putin to Hitler is also fair. Never goes to the front, probably drugged up paranoid hypochondriac.
twk
AG
74OA said:

Interesting article on the transformational effect of technology on the Ukrainian battlefield.

ALGORITHMIC WARFARE
That's a good read, and it illustrates why Russia's only real hope for victory is to play for time, and hope that the West loses interest. So long as the Ukrainians are able to fight an asymetric war, where they are using technology to beat the Russians, there is little prospect for a Russian victory as they just don't have the resources to overwhelm Ukraine's technological advantage. Now, getting the Russians out of eastern Ukraine would be very hard work, even with a tech advantage, but a Ukrainian victory in Crimea seems to be something that is within reach, and that might actually force the Russian's to negotiate on terms that would be acceptable.
aezmvp
Blackbeard94 said:

JFABNRGR said:

I think that the comparison is very fair. I have often thought of Churchill when reading stories about Zelensky and his leadership in this war. I have no idea what is distasteful about either man.

I think the opposite comparison of Putin to Hitler is also fair. Never goes to the front, probably drugged up paranoid hypochondriac.
Look to be fair Churchill was an incredibly difficult man to deal with on a personal level. This led to huge problems for the man throughout his life that he was only able to overcome through staggering genius and perseverance. I'm certain that Zelensky has all kinds of issues. But as a leader of a country under dire assault, against massive odds, needing to be an effective communicator, work across many countries to solicit support from your populace, other populaces, politicians across many different ideological ranges, industries including energy, transportation, defense, technology, agriculture, etc... well he seems to be doing as good of a job as anyone you could imagine on the world stge. The Ukraine is either incredibly lucky or incredibly unlucky to have him at this time. He has rallied that country and he is unlike anything we've seen in some time, at least since the 80s when the West popped up Raegan, Thatcher, and JPII all at the same time.

That doesn't mean that everything in Ukraine is roses or pure and clean, just right guy right time.
74OA
AG
Ukraine getting thousands more satellite terminals. Absolutely key enabler for Ukraine's high-tech battlefield advantage, as explained in the article linked just above.

STARLINK
74OA
AG
aezmvp said:

Blackbeard94 said:

JFABNRGR said:

Look to be fair Churchill was an incredibly difficult man to deal with on a personal level. This led to huge problems for the man throughout his life that he was only able to overcome through staggering genius and perseverance. I'm certain that Zelensky has all kinds of issues. But as a leader of a country under dire assault, against massive odds, needing to be an effective communicator, work across many countries to solicit support from your populace, other populaces, politicians across many different ideological ranges, industries including energy, transportation, defense, technology, agriculture, etc... well he seems to be doing as good of a job as anyone you could imagine on the world stge. The Ukraine is either incredibly lucky or incredibly unlucky to have him at this time. He has rallied that country and he is unlike anything we've seen in some time, at least since the 80s when the West popped up Raegan, Thatcher, and JPII all at the same time.

That doesn't mean that everything in Ukraine is roses or pure and clean, just right guy right time.
Additionally, Churchill spent much of his adult life in parliament and served for many years as a senior government minister during war and peace long before WWII broke out. He was much more mature and professionally prepared to be a wartime leader than is Zelensky, which only increases my respect for Volodymyr.
agent-maroon
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Zelesnky has nothing but mad respect from this poster, but seeing him present on an active front makes me nervous. I get what his presence means to his troops and all of his country, but God forbid that the orcs might get lucky with an assassination attempt. Not that they've shown the competency to actually pull that off to this point but blind hogs, acorns, stuff happens...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TRM
AG
They're too busy looting to assassinate him.
txags92
AG
74OA said:

Ukraine getting thousands more satellite terminals. Absolutely key enabler for Ukraine's high-tech battlefield advantage, as explained in the article linked just above.

STARLINK
https://www.pcmag.com/news/russian-arms-manufacturer-developing-tech-to-hunt-starlink-dishes

We will see if this is real or just vaporware...
LMCane
I was watching the David Letterman interview with Zelensky in the Kyiv underground and struck by how much older both have gotten in the last year.

the stress and the lack of sleep and the living in bunkers have taken a huge toll. Hopefully Zelensky can survive the war and enjoy a nice retirement in Crimea someday.

74OA
AG
Yes, I remarked the same thing when that bottom photo was first taken back when he toured the massacre scene at Bucha. The grief is written on his face.
GuatemalanAg
AG
Nothing but admiration for that man!
I wish him a nice retirement after Ukraine wins the war
74OA
AG
Zelensky coming to Washington!

DC
GuatemalanAg
AG
74OA
AG
GuatemalanAg said:

It's perfect timing to visit with wavering House Republicans and make the sort of personal contact that wins people over.
Jetpilot86
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

Three people were killed, one was injured in an explosion on the Urengoy-Pomary-Uzhgorod gas pipeline in Chuvashia

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/20-december-three-people-were-killed-one-was-injured-in-an

This is several hundred km east of Moscow.
Zeihlan has been saying the last few days in speeches that the O&G lines are ticking time bombs of their own accord as the Western Tech/O&G companies are no longer there to maintain them. Not a matter of if, but when they start failing.
Jetpilot86
AG
twk said:

74OA said:

ALGORITHMIC WARFARE
That's a good read, and it illustrates why Russia's only real hope for victory is to play for time, and hope that the West loses interest. So long as the Ukrainians are able to fight an asymetric war, where they are using technology to beat the Russians, there is little prospect for a Russian victory as they just don't have the resources to overwhelm Ukraine's technological advantage. Now, getting the Russians out of eastern Ukraine would be very hard work, even with a tech advantage, but a Ukrainian victory in Crimea seems to be something that is within reach, and that might actually force the Russian's to negotiate on terms that would be acceptable.
Also according to Zeihlan, the Rus are only about 20% to their minimum pain threshold to consider negotiations, or 400k more need to go before they get there. The feel I'm getting from his most recent long form videos is that even if Putin goes, institutional Russian Paranoia will want to try to secure the last invasion routes to the heart of Russia. They may get beaten back, but I'm not sure they ever quit....
Smeghead4761
74OA said:

aezmvp said:

Blackbeard94 said:

JFABNRGR said:

Additionally, Churchill spent much of his adult life in parliament and served for many years as a senior government minister during war and peace long before WWII broke out. He was much more mature and professionally prepared to be a wartime leader than is Zelensky, which only increases my respect for Volodymyr.
Churchill's greatest strengths were moral courage, clarity of vision, and stubbornness. Now sometimes, his judgement wasn't always the greatest - Gallipoli in WWI, and the continuance of the Italian campaign in WWII long after it should have been obvious that it was sucking up far more Allied troops than Germans - but he always knew where he wanted to go. I think he one time his stubbornness failed was in not getting Bomber Harris to give up more planes for ASW work in 1940-42.

He also drank truly incredible amounts of alcohol, and his cigar smoking probably accounted for half of Cuba's GNP in any given year.
Waffledynamics
AG
twk
AG
Jetpilot86 said:

twk said:

74OA said:

ALGORITHMIC WARFARE
Also according to Zeihlan, the Rus are only about 20% to their minimum pain threshold to consider negotiations, or 400k more need to go before they get there. The feel I'm getting from his most recent long form videos is that even if Putin goes, institutional Russian Paranoia will want to try to secure the last invasion routes to the heart of Russia. They may get beaten back, but I'm not sure they ever quit....
There will be a segment of Russian leadership that will always want to reestablish dominance over Eastern Europe, but a sound beating in Ukraine might convince them that this would best be done by soft power rather than through brute force. Unfortunately for them, Russia has squandered that opportunity for the foreseeable future, so the best they can do towards that long term objective is to cut their losses on the special operation, and re-arm while rebuilding their economy. Do they have the intelligence and long range perspective to see that? Not likely for Putin and his cronies, but there might be some connected folks who do see it.
First Page Last Page
Page 963 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.