***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,598,778 Views | 47845 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Waffledynamics
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
docb
AG
Just kind of an overall impression this morning reading through articles on my Reddit war feed but it seems as there is a general feeling that Russia will be in retreat fairly soon.
Waffledynamics
AG
Retreat from where? Any part in particular? As I understand it, we're still a bit away from the ground freezing and offensives to start.
Waffledynamics
AG
docb
AG
Pretty much everywhere. I think morale is in the dumps for them. Most of them don't even know why they're there, running out of munitions, wear on their artillery making it less effective, strikes behind their lines disrupting logistics. There has been a ton of weaponry given to the Ukes. I certainly have no idea the actual number of tanks from various countries or artillery from multiple countries but there has been a ton of articles over the past several months. I think all of this despite their own losses is really adding up? Plus the support for Putin seems to be really waning more and more. Just a lot of stuff I guess. Even that long line of cars trying to get out of Crimea. Who knows?
CondensedFogAggie
Private PoopyPants said:

We have Ukrainian and Cambodian military cooperation. Everyone check your 2022 bingo cards.

Speaking of partnering to clear mines, someone has a bright idea for Ukraine.

RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
CondensedFogAggie said:

Private PoopyPants said:

We have Ukrainian and Cambodian military cooperation. Everyone check your 2022 bingo cards.

I'd call it a boomba
CondensedFogAggie
RikkiTikkaTagem said:

CondensedFogAggie said:

I'd call it a boomba
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
EastSideAg2002
74OA said:

Today's SITREP.
That airburst scene was brutal
betadawg1
AG

Ouch
JFABNRGR
AG
betadawg1 said:

Ouch

Theres been a couple of these now. Comment on reddit said there are now so few orc tanks the Uke anti tank gunners have gotten bored, so they target INF.

In the other vid a leg from hip down gets blown off and lands perfectly on another soldier as if it was his. He wakes pats it 2-3x and realizes its not his and shakes it off. If he survived he wont forget that soon.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Eliminatus
AG
They make an anti-personnel HE warhead version as well and I am sure stocks of those are also floating around in Ukraine right now.

Course, if in a pinch and only have the anti-armor one.... gotta do what you gotta do and start playing whack a mole I guess. Very reminiscent of the recent Syrian war where our TOWs were used like long range snipers basically. There are like half hour compilations of that conflict's use of guided missiles against groups of soldiers.

Smeghead4761
betadawg1 said:

Ouch

I'm trying to figure out the Arabic-looking writing along the top of the screen in the first video.
Eliminatus
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

74OA said:

Today's SITREP.
Follow up footage of a trench attack. Several dead Russians that never stood a chance. May actually be the same one into that video. Also, fairly certain it is not the HIMARS people shredder but other submunitions. Who knows which one exactly though. It is crazy to think how many weapon systems are currently being field in Ukraine right now from both sides. From Maxim machine guns to HIMARS and everything in between.

I'll just link the video. Haven't been posting much footage since it is essentially snuff films at this point but this one conveys how effective modern munitions can be and how straight line trenches are not going to save anyone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RussiaUkraineWar2022/comments/zoa4aw/the_demilitarization_of_russian_cannon_fodder/
GAC06
AG
Those missiles are produced in Ukraine and some were meant for export until the invasion
JFABNRGR
AG
Eliminatus said:

EastSideAg2002 said:

74OA said:

Today's SITREP.
Follow up footage of a trench attack. Several dead Russians that never stood a chance. May actually be the same one into that video. Also, fairly certain it is not the HIMARS people shredder but other submunitions. Who knows which one exactly though. It is crazy to think how many weapon systems are currently being field in Ukraine right now from both sides. From Maxim machine guns to HIMARS and everything in between.

I'll just link the video. Haven't been posting much footage since it is essentially snuff films at this point but this one conveys how effective modern munitions can be and how straight line trenches are not going to save anyone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RussiaUkraineWar2022/comments/zoa4aw/the_demilitarization_of_russian_cannon_fodder/

I agree not HIMARS. Reddit says M971 cluster bomb shot from 120mm mortar. I cannot find vid of blast pattern but here is a link to info of which there isnt much out there.

https://defense-update.com/20050126_m971.html
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
74OA
AG
Well worth watching. Focused on Bakhmut but more broadly on the return of attritional warfare in Ukraine.

74OA
AG
Along with the recent banning of obstructionist pro-Russia parties, taming Ukraine's too-powerful oligarchs is also essential for it to root out the USSR's legacy of corruption.

REFORM
LEGISLATION
74OA
AG
Kiev restores electricity. Moscow sends (real) clowns to the front.

UPDATE
Eliminatus
AG
74OA said:

Well worth watching. Focused on Bakhmut but more broadly on the return of attritional warfare in Ukraine.

Really enjoyed this guys content. Found him about a week ago and devoured most of his content shortly thereafter.

Nothing groundbreaking but just solid summations of the topics he picks. Well researched and well delivered information.

If yall like longform content, this guy is a good follow.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Ukraine is preparing additional measures to protect the Rivne NPP due to the risk of an open invasion from Belarus
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/18-december-ukraine-is-preparing-additional-measures-to-protect

Quote:

State Secretary of the Security Council of Belarus said that the military units of the Armed Forces are in constant combat readiness
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/18-december-state-secretary-of-the-security-council-of-belarus
SamjamAg
AG
Wouldn't you think some diplomat in the west has already warned Lukashenko that if is army crosses the boarder that Ukrainian has the means, access to intelligence, and a green-light form the west to target him personally.
Waffledynamics
AG
agent-maroon
AG
SamjamAg said:

Wouldn't you think some diplomat in the west has already warned Lukashenko that if is army crosses the boarder that Ukrainian has the means, access to intelligence, and a green-light form the west to target him personally.
Russia probably told him something similar with the added threat of torture before death. Rock vs hard place....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dirt 05
AG
He's meeting directly with Putin, may be the West's chance for the Man in Minsk to deliver the Nick Brody treatment.
74OA
AG
More on why the ground launched small diameter bomb would be very useful to Ukraine.

GLSDB
CS78
Im amazed at the number of different weapons systems out there. Had no idea.
aezmvp
The problem for Belarus is that they have an active insurgency opposition that is itching to over throw their government. The army wants exactly zero part of this conflict due to the fact that they barely hung on to power before and really it was only due to the Russians sending in forces. I'm not sure that the opposition would be so afraid of the Russians now if Belarus had to send its fairly small army to the front.

Word very early on is that if it was a complete roll over Belarus would have entered to try and cut off retreat from Kyiv but they never got close to launching because of how poorly it went. After watching the cream of the Russians get ground down over the last 9 months I'm certain that the Belarussian army has zero desire to go right into new defensive lines that have been built over 9 months with limited to no reserves in winter.

It's true that Putin might give them no choice but the consequences would be chaotic and impossible for anyone to predict accurately.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/12/16/world/europe/russia-putin-war-failures-ukraine.html

Long read but pretty good write up on this whole thing.
74OA
AG
aezmvp said:

The problem for Belarus is that they have an active insurgency opposition that is itching to over throw their government. The army wants exactly zero part of this conflict due to the fact that they barely hung on to power before and really it was only due to the Russians sending in forces. I'm not sure that the opposition would be so afraid of the Russians now if Belarus had to send its fairly small army to the front.

Word very early on is that if it was a complete roll over Belarus would have entered to try and cut off retreat from Kyiv but they never got close to launching because of how poorly it went. After watching the cream of the Russians get ground down over the last 9 months I'm certain that the Belarussian army has zero desire to go right into new defensive lines that have been built over 9 months with limited to no reserves in winter.

It's true that Putin might give them no choice but the consequences would be chaotic and impossible for anyone to predict accurately.
The posturing with Belarus has two principal benefits for Putin.

Politically, despite worldwide condemnation and sanctions, he makes the point to the world and his own people that Russia nonetheless still has friends and allies who are willing to welcome him.

Militarily, even if he cannot convince/compel Belarus to join in an actual attack, by just staging large joint military exercises and demonstrations near Kiev he ties down Ukrainian forces in the northwest that would otherwise be fighting Russia in the east and south.

Putin may not gain much in the end, but it costs him next to nothing to put on a threatening show with Belarus.
aezmvp
74OA said:

aezmvp said:

Politically, despite worldwide condemnation and sanctions, he makes the point to the world and his own people that Russia nonetheless still has friends and allies who are willing to welcome him.

Militarily, even if he cannot convince/compel Belarus to join in an actual attack, by just staging large joint military exercises and demonstrations near Kiev he ties down Ukrainian forces in the northwest that would otherwise be fighting Russia in the east and south.

Putin may not gain much in the end, but it costs him next to nothing to put on a threatening show with Belarus.
I totally agree with all points. It would be imprudent to the point of reckless not to have troops up there if you're the Ukraine, but I probably would station token forces and a mobile reserve spread out in a few spots to be able to respond to incursions. The Ukraine could lose a war up there, but it'd be hard due to the condition of Belaurssian and Russian forces. They're so poor that I'm pretty sure your average National Guard could wipe the floor with them PDQ. The Belarussians have really shown very very little capability at all.
B-1 83
AG
aezmvp said:

74OA said:

aezmvp said:

I totally agree with all points. It would be imprudent to the point of reckless not to have troops up there if you're the Ukraine, but I probably would station token forces and a mobile reserve spread out in a few spots to be able to respond to incursions. The Ukraine could lose a war up there, but it'd be hard due to the condition of Belaurssian and Russian forces. They're so poor that I'm pretty sure your average National Guard could wipe the floor with them PDQ. The Belarussians have really shown very very little capability at all.
Just to add a minor point, what ever Hell Ukraine can unleash on the Belarusian troops early on would pay dividends. They should be in such terror and shock that they won't fight for Russia or step another foot into Ukraine. You can guarantee the Ukes can throw enough stuff up there to reach deep into Belarus
First Page Last Page
Page 962 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.