***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,582,697 Views | 47797 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Eliminatus
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3609332-nasams-aspide-sytems-already-in-ukraine-defense-chief.html
FriscoKid
AG
LMCane
Waffledynamics said:

Kraken footage during the Kupyansk operation. Video does contain some blurred corpses and shows combat footage.

holy @#$@#$ at 13:06

they open fire into an outhouse and out tumbles a Russkie who they shoot to death!

can't believe Youtube stops Denys from showing an oil tank on fire- but it's okay to show a guy getting riddled at close range with fully automatic assault rifles.
LMCane
benchmark said:

The 450 mile front gets 200 miles shorter if Russia vacates to the south bank. The Dnipro barrier will effectively end meaningful offensive threats in western Ukraine. This leaves the 150 mile eastern front ... and the middle 100 miles east of Zaporizhzhia.

that is a double edged sword though- sure the battlefront constricts in both depth and width

but who does that help more? the Ukes were able to launch effective counterattacks hundreds of miles apart as the Russkies were stretched thin.

the more the frontline constricts, the more the Russians can just pump in their untrained Mobiks to static defense lines and their decrepit artillery.

this should be an interesting discussion as to which side is favored in a smaller battlefield...
lb3
AG
They will let Denny show those things, they just won't let him monetize those videos.
wtmartinaggie
AG
i thought the same thing, you can even see the look on his face as he stumbles out of there. that one will be burned into my memory for sure...
sclaff
AG
A tidbit of Russian bizarre... in the league of the Belarus army's version of Cirque Soleil

Rossticus
Uh, huh…

Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Waffledynamics
AG
LMCane
sclaff said:

A tidbit of Russian bizarre... in the league of the Belarus army's version of Cirque Soleil

only a Russian

could think that putting down some hay to protect the General and the has been singer

SURROUNDED BY A FIELD OF MUD makes for great propaganda videos
MouthBQ98
AG
For these drones, aren't there vehicle mounted optical tracking systems that can spot these things and gun them down at closer range with a couple of .50 cal machine guns? They aren't fast, they aren't stealthy, they don't evade. They should be relatively easy to acquire, track, and hit.

The Army once fielded a light AA setup with something very much like this, a .50 or two and a couple of stingers.
USAFAg
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

For these drones, aren't there vehicle mounted optical tracking systems that can spot these things and gun them down at closer range with a couple of .50 cal machine guns? They aren't fast, they aren't stealthy, they don't evade. They should be relatively easy to acquire, track, and hit.

The Army once fielded a light AA setup with something very much like this, a .50 or two and a couple of stingers.
Avenger AA System

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Ukrainian military captured 21 mobilised men from Moscow region on Svatove direction

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/7-november-ukrainian-military-captured-21-mobilised-men-from

ABATTBQ11
AG
Yes. That is why the rest of the world sans it's most insidious and egregious human rights violators have concerned their actions
benchmark
AG
LMCane said:

benchmark said:

The 450 mile front gets 200 miles shorter if Russia vacates to the south bank. The Dnipro barrier will effectively end meaningful offensive threats in western Ukraine. This leaves the 150 mile eastern front ... and the middle 100 miles east of Zaporizhzhia.
that is a double edged sword though- sure the battlefront constricts in both depth and width

but who does that help more? the Ukes were able to launch effective counterattacks hundreds of miles apart as the Russkies were stretched thin.

the more the frontline constricts, the more the Russians can just pump in their untrained Mobiks to static defense lines and their decrepit artillery.

this should be an interesting discussion as to which side is favored in a smaller battlefield...
Shorter front lines favors the defense (Russia) by concentrating more manpower/equip multiple layers deep with reserves in the rear. i.e. 50k troops divided by 250 miles = 200 per mile. This makes it harder for the attacker (Ukraine) to develop a counter-offensive trough weak spots and flanking maneuvers.
JFABNRGR
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

The 35MM Gepards are supposedly working very well against the Iranian drones. There was a lot of hubub regarding ammo supply and Switzerland not allowing export but I believe this has been worked around. TMK there is only one video of Gepard in action against drones in UKR which IMO supports the idea that the ammo has been delivered.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/yfo57q/first_confirmed_video_of_german_air_defense/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Same gun maker with latest model demo below. Seems legit but probably wont be seen in UKR.

“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
wtmartinaggie
AG

This should do the trick.
docb
AG
I would think the best approach if feasible would be for Ukraine to make a push for Melitopol or even Maruipol to essentially cutoff the Russians in the south if they could establish some kind of fire control on the Kerch bridge (ATACMS?)
javajaws
AG
docb said:

I would think the best approach if feasible would be for Ukraine to make a push for Melitopol or even Maruipol to essentially cutoff the Russians in the south if they could establish some kind of fire control on the Kerch bridge (ATACMS?)
I mentioned many pages back that I thought going for Melitopol would be the right move after they take Kherson. They don't have manpower to take both at the same time. But after they push the orcs out of Kherson and across the river it'll be interesting to see what they do next. They could easily re-allocate the majority of those offensive forces elsewhere and keep a blocking force in place at the river.

How many troops do they have to keep up north to keep Belarus from being tempted with an easy invasion from the north? Even if Belarus has no intention of joining they still impact things with the THREAT of joining.
docb
AG
javajaws said:

docb said:

I mentioned many pages back that I thought going for Melitopol would be the right move after they take Kherson. They don't have manpower to take both at the same time. But after they push the orcs out of Kherson and across the river it'll be interesting to see what they do next. They could easily re-allocate the majority of those offensive forces elsewhere and keep a blocking force in place at the river.

How many troops do they have to keep up north to keep Belarus from being tempted with an easy invasion from the north? Even if Belarus has no intention of joining they still impact things with the THREAT of joining.
I wouldn't even try to take Kherson. Just go for Melitopol and Kherson will be taken care of eventually.
RogerEnright
docb said:

I wouldn't even try to take Kherson. Just go for Melitopol and Kherson will be taken care of eventually.
Is Melitopol considered an easier take than Maruipol? Maruipol seems like it has more morale significance.
benchmark
AG
docb said:

Orkhiv-Tokmak-Melitopol route (55 miles) is the most direct route - but also the most obvious and probably heavily defended. It took Ukraine months to set the stage and recapture the NE quadrant of Kherson ... equiv to about 20 x 20 mile area. In the past, they've avoided frontal attacks like they'd likely face taking Melitopol.

We'll probably have to wait until late Spring to see how it unfolds. In the meantime, let's hope their winter is as miserable as possible.
AgLA06
AG
RogerEnright said:

docb said:

Is Melitopol considered an easier take than Maruipol? Maruipol seems like it has more morale significance.

Not sure about easier, but more strategic in my opinion. Russia can't reinforce from the see like Maruipol, much further from Russian border so anything strikingit (artillery, etc.) is fair game, easier to defend and resupply from Ukraine, cuts the south from the east. Added bonus is you're closer to the Kerch bridge and more threatening to Crimea. Russia's assets, bases, etc. on Crimea are now threatened.
AgBQ-00
AG
I think they would be well served by cutting the Russians in two and keep them from moving reinforcements back and forth. They need to go on a march to the coast and roll up the unsupported half then turn back to liberate all of the eastern portion of the country.
2000AgPhD
2wealfth Man said:

"sticking" it to the Russians

"Sky Wang"... Priceless...
Rossticus
AgLA06
AG
The dude linked to business in Russia is surprising everyone by changing policy to favor Russia?!?!

Shocked.
Rossticus
AgLA06 said:

The dude linked to business in Russia is surprising everyone by changing policy to favor Russia?!?!

Shocked.

I took it down. Conflicting reports as to veracity. We'll have to wait and see.
Matt_ag98
MouthBQ98 said:

Mouth I could tell you a lot about drones, and by and large it ain't good
Rossticus
docb
AG
Sounds reasonable to me
benchmark
AG
Interesting if actually delivered. Has 1,000 lb warhead and infrared imaging terminal guidance. Range is 350 miles ... or export model with 155 miles. If 350 mile version it can reach the Kerch Bridge. Link: Storm Shadow

First Page Last Page
Page 914 of 1366

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.