***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,594,407 Views | 47835 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Rossticus
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those kinds of attrition numbers are just hard to fathom.

I mean that's Italian WW2 incompetence type of attrition numbers.
Rossticus
AgLA06 said:

Those kinds of attrition numbers are just hard to fathom.

I mean that's Italian WW2 incompetence type of attrition numbers.

Couple that with this and Russia is entering the beginnings of a serious manpower crisis heading into winter.

Ulysses90
AG
Zobel said:

I see Analog Devices markings on the two at an angle in the bottom. A bunch of those have Microchip Technology / Atmel markings also which is a US manufacturer.

On the other hand the only part number I can see clearly (69052WR) is just a low dropout voltage regulator. Not exactly high-tech stuff.

I'm not sure what you can make of that single photo.

Concur. It's worth noting that Altera (before and after being acquired by Intel) makes Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs). FPGAs are essentially blank-slate processing units where the end user can etch the custom logic applications on them. FPGAs are high performance but they are also a commodity that by themselves have not special capability. The real question is who coded the FPGAs for Iran.
74OA
AG
lobopride said:

Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but if a Ukrainian citizen is caught fighting for Russia are they considered mere POWs? Or traitors? Both?

I wonder what happens when Ukraine pushes into territory that isn't as naturally friendly to them. They will start to capture more and more of their own people fighting for the other side.
ZELENSKY
MouthBQ98
AG
As has been pointed out, it was angry conscripts that actually accomplished the overthrow of the Russian government in its communist revolution.

Angering and mistreating your army is not a good idea.
Eliminatus
AG
Rossticus said:

Their most prestigious and experienced units have been spent like dollar bills at a strip club. You can replace bodies relatively easily, you cannot replace experience that quickly. Something seen by almost every nation that has ever gone to war.

Their vaunted and best trained and equipped light infantry, the VDV, were butchered in the invasion. Since then we have seen their top tier mechanized BTGs, 1st Tank Guards, and now the GRU above just decimated.

I know it's a broken record at this point but to reiterate, Russia cannot sustain this level of warfare and loss. No nation can.
Rossticus
Die Hard Ag
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

That is clean work by the Ukes...

Semper Fi
MouthBQ98
AG
That might stop you from banging your head with a BTR hatch or maybe a slow moving small bit of shrapnel.

Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
jbeaman88
AG
Just wondering how much the recent Uke gains might be attributed to increased night fighting capable equipment and training from the west.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AgLA06 said:

Red Pear Realty said:

I don't think staff liked my first analogy…but to say it a different way… stuff we make should not get sold to people who want to kill us. I don't care how old it is.
Great.

Once you sell it to someone, you're ability to track it or control it is essentially gone. Only recourse is someone to report it and you stop selling to them. Then the end user just goes to the next person you sell to.

Welcome to global markets.

Things like guided missiles or guided artillery require specialized components that can withstand high g forces and function very quickly because they're operating at high speeds and need minimal lag between input and execution. They may have industrial applications, but they're few and far between. Manufacturers don't just sell to anyone. That's what export controls on chips are meant to diminish, and it seems that's working right now with Russia. It's not perfectly effective, but a deterrent that slows as opposed to stops production is better than none at all. A drone like the one Iran is producing is basically a suped up RC plane. It really has no special requirements, and the parts to make it work can be used for many other things. Those manufacturers sell to everyone, and chip export controls aren't really meant to stop or deter this.

It's the difference between restricting the sale of high performance jet engines for fighters and bombers and not restricting the sale of piston or radial engines used in light aircraft. You can find those light engines anywhere because they're used all over the place on private aircraft, but you can't make a 5th gen fighter from them. You COULD build a large suicide drone though.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Eliminatus said:

That's incredibly heartening to see. Truly pray that this is the start of a mass trend.

Also, that was as proficient a job by the Ukes as anything expected of professional western forces. Textbook even. A man to search with another to cover with others providing constant outboard security, maintaining dispersion, and a single man controlling the scene. Kudos to them. I know it sounds easy to do but as with a lot of things, it takes practice and procedure to do it the most right way possible. Which eliminates as many variables as possible for shenanigans.
With all the aid we are sending, seems like we need to send a metric ton of zip ties for the captives.

Dammit, 74 beat me to the punch.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
benchmark
AG
Rossticus
Hopefully this is indeed the origin of all the dental work found amongst the abandoned belongings of the Russians.

FamousAgg
Rossticus said:

JFABNRGR
AG
Eliminatus said:

That's incredibly heartening to see. Truly pray that this is the start of a mass trend.

Also, that was as proficient a job by the Ukes as anything expected of professional western forces. Textbook even. A man to search with another to cover with others providing constant outboard security, maintaining dispersion, and a single man controlling the scene. Kudos to them. I know it sounds easy to do but as with a lot of things, it takes practice and procedure to do it the most right way possible. Which eliminates as many variables as possible for shenanigans.
The 5 Ss. This is an SOP, my unit trained on regularly. The only 2 things I see that may have been improved is 1 clear/secure the armor vehicle before searching POWs or having everyone get so close and secondly keep as many personnel in cover as possible in case the vehicle was rigged to blow and or was targeted for artillery strike. Note the first may have been done and not quite presented on the vids.

For those interested in the 5 S's.
Secure
Search
Silence
Separate
Speed to the Read

concur I want them out of the fight and Uke Soldiers back.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
AgLA06
AG
Eliminatus said:

Rossticus said:

Their most prestigious and experienced units have been spent like dollar bills at a strip club. You can replace bodies relatively easily, you cannot replace experience that quickly. Something seen by almost every nation that has ever gone to war.

Their vaunted and best trained and equipped light infantry, the VDV, were butchered in the invasion. Since then we have seen their top tier mechanized BTGs, 1st Tank Guards, and now the GRU above just decimated.

I know it's a broken record at this point but to reiterate, Russia cannot sustain this level of warfare and loss. No nation can.
This would be the equivalent of us losing one of our 6 Ranger Battalions in a week, correct?
Smeghead4761
We only have 3 Ranger battalions. 1st at Hunter AAF (Ft Stewart), 2nd at Ft Lewis, 3rd at Ft Benning.

4-6 are training battalions, part of Ranger School, not the Ranger Regiment.

The VDV is like the 82nd Airborne.
AgLA06
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

We only have 3 Ranger battalions. 1st at Hunter AAF (Ft Stewart), 2nd at Ft Lewis, 3rd at Ft Benning.

4-6 are training battalions, part of Ranger School, not the Ranger Regiment.
Makes sense. I just remember we had Ranger Battalions 1-6.

So it would be like losing one of our 3 Ranger Battalions. Anyone know how many they have?
Rossticus
torrid
AG
lobopride said:

Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but if a Ukrainian citizen is caught fighting for Russia are they considered mere POWs? Or traitors? Both?

I wonder what happens when Ukraine pushes into territory that isn't as naturally friendly to them. They will start to capture more and more of their own people fighting for the other side.
The Ukrainians do seem to be making progress into areas which have been in a de facto state of civil war for several years. I figure anyone sympathetic to the Ukrainian side left a long time ago.
Not a Bot
AG
They organize their SOF differently. Spetz in general are more like Rangers, but there are many different groups of Spetz under different branches (Army, Navy, FSB, etc.). GRU Spetz are their elite Spetz.
Rossticus
AgLA06
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

They organize their SOF differently. Spetz in general are more like Rangers, but there are many different groups of Spetz under different branches (Army, Navy, FSB, etc.). GRU Spetz are their elite Spetz.
Why would they have an entire battalion of essentially Delta on the frontlines?
Smeghead4761
AgLA06 said:

Private PoopyPants said:

Why would they have an entire battalion of essentially Delta on the frontlines?
Probably for similar reasons to why we sent a division of paratroops to Bastogne to stop a Panzergruppe. They're available, and you can trust them not to run away.
Not a Bot
AG
Ask Vlad, I have no idea.

I'm seeing different numbers of brigades and numbers of troops in each brigade on various sources. There's anywhere between 6-8 Army Spetz brigades with about 1,600 soldiers in each. There are multiple detachments in each brigade that can perform specialized functions. Within those detachments I'm sure there are more elite smaller units that perform tasks similar to Delta or Green Berets but they just do things different and obviously not all of it is public knowledge.
txaggie02
AG
Rossticus said:

Hopefully this is indeed the origin of all the dental work found amongst the abandoned belongings of the Russians.

I guess he didn't want to say if the dildo came from his house too?
Malibu
An observation from the last three days is that Russian propaganda channels are starting to admit they are losing and are coming to grips with why. We even have the general stating that you can't send conscripts to the front line without training them about how to engage NATO. Running low on provisions, ammo, and shockingly bad/no trading, it seems fait accompli that Russia will lose.

The next few months are going to be very interesting to see if Russia doubles down on the sunk cost fallacy, or if the rationalists that see the writing on the wall are able to institute regime change to end the war.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Malibu
Of course it's Ukrainian Armed Forces policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo, always use the indefinite article a dildo, never your dildo.
Teslag
AG
FriscoKid
AG

Russian reinforcements are ready to head to the front.
First Page Last Page
Page 813 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.