***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,596,345 Views | 47841 Replies | Last: 36 min ago by Ag with kids
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Insane…(but, what's new?)

Die Hard Ag
AG
RONA Ag said:

sclaff said:

How have we for years just so drastically overvalued Russia's military capabilities?

Have we also drastically overvalued/overestimated their nuclear capabilities?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Ulysses90
AG
Die Hard Ag said:

RONA Ag said:

sclaff said:

How have we for years just so drastically overvalued Russia's military capabilities?

Have we also drastically overvalued/overestimated their nuclear capabilities?

Yes, because just as our IC completely ignored the evidence that Russia's land forces are completely hollowed out by corruption and neglect, so are their nuclear forces. The money allocated to maintain an modernize Russia's nuclear arsenal went to the same place the 1.2 millionmissing uniforms went.

Just picture yourself as a director for Russia's nuclear weapons program which is really just the remnant of the Soviet program. No prestige and scant budget because the retirement plan for KGB is called oligarch and that's really the only funding priority in Russia.
Not a Bot
AG

Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
RONA Ag
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Do it, let's light this candle. There's no way in hell that Putin actually does this. A direct conflict with NATO is his death sentence and he knows it
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Some big gains in territory being made by the good guys right now.
Waffledynamics
AG
Ag In Ok
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

I half wonder if they called up some of the "relocated" Ukrainians to fight against Ukraine from this far, far eastern location.
benchmark
AG
Not saying this is the plan ... but I hope it is. Starolbil's'k by month's end?
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Seems like some backtracking. How about the borders go back to pre-2014?

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I guess it's fairly obvious Russia has actually spent a fraction of it's supposed defense budget on actual defense things and the rest into oligarchs pockets after saying it was for defense
sclaff
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
sclaff said:

This is starting to turn into a game of Risk but playing against an 8 year old. It has to be full on flight or surrender for them to be moving this fast. 10 years from now this will be fascinating reading.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Teslag
AG
10 years? It may be fascinating reading by next summer at this rate.
agent-maroon
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

What is meant by the "fundamentally changing the Russian information space." phrasing?

Thank you in advance
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agent-maroon
AG
It's been fascinating reading pretty much since the beginning. Thank you all for your contributions to this thread!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Waffledynamics
AG

Good summary of the war for months now.
Ag In Ok
AG
I translated that as dissent is coming up from the talking heads. Inevitable.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
I assumed it meant that the Russian media and milbloggers who previously had nothing but praise and good reports for Russia and its denazification have started to turn on the state a bit. Basically, the "Russian Information Space" is the space where it controls the narrative. And the failures in both the mobilization and the loss of annexed territory have cause Russia to start losing control of the narrative even internally.
AgLA06
AG
agent-maroon said:

Private PoopyPants said:

What is meant by the "fundamentally changing the Russian information space." phrasing?

Thank you in advance

I think it means they lost so bad that even their paid mouthpieces in the media and specifically social media are speaking out against them.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
I'll add that I'm also fascinated by Russia's complete failure to adapt/respond to UA tactics. The number of times we've seen that exact same maneuver show up on the map and be successful is honestly quite astonishing. I'm no military strategist, but I would think against any competent military, there would be a limit to the number of times the same tactic can be successful.
SwigAg11
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

I'll add that I'm also fascinated by Russia's complete failure to adapt/respond to UA tactics. The number of times we've seen that exact same maneuver show up on the map and be successful is honestly quite astonishing. I'm no military strategist, but I would think against any competent military, there would be a limit to the number of times the same tactic can be successful.
Kind of like in football you can keep using the same play that is working well until the other team stops you.
sclaff
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

This is starting to turn into a game of Risk but playing against an 8 year old. It has to be full on flight or surrender for them to be moving this fast. 10 years from now this will be fascinating reading.
There are around 20,000 Russian troops on the west bank of the Dnipro under "no retreat" orders from Putin. I don't think they can retreat anyway.

A Tokmak- Melitipol offensive cooking? It seems unusually quiet.
74OA
AG
Why so many Russian oligarchs are suddenly so accident prone:

"He (Putin) needs more money now to run his war."
Mr Browder said they (oligarchs) would be under pressure to provide some of that money to the Kremlin, and used the example of the chairman of Lukoil, Ravil Maganov, who was found dead on September 1.
"These people all sit in front of large cash flows or assets," he said.
"I would suspect that this guy said 'no' and then the best way of getting that flow of cash is to kill him and then ask his replacement the same question.
"I would suspect that Putin gets a cut of whatever redirected flows of money are resulting from these murders."

MURDERS
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Teslag said:

True, but a real comprehensive book with eye witness accounts both military and civilian will take some time. Even 5 years based on this thing still unfolding. Imagine the details about the russian equipment, soldiers and command.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
No Spin Ag

Teslag said:

True, but a real comprehensive book with eye witness accounts both military and civilian will take some time. Even 5 years based on this thing still unfolding. Imagine the details about the russian equipment, soldiers and command.

Whenever it comes out, the failure of Putin's invasion will be a great read that'll be read my many throughout the world as an example of what happens when a tinpot dictator tries to bully someone that punches back.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
javajaws
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Teslag said:

Whenever it comes out, the failure of Putin's invasion will be a great read that'll be read my many throughout the world as an example of what happens when a tinpot dictator tries to bully someone that punches back.
I think more than anything this is direct proof that Soviet style communism just doesn't work. Sure, you can somewhat run a country like that. But just like how it makes your economy suffer it also makes your military suffer as well. And it's not just because of the corruption, but also because of the lack of trust, accountability, responsibility, innovation, etc. NOTHING good comes from communism...unless you are one of the communists in charge and are in on the grift.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
aezmvp
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

It's not really tactical. This has been a basic part of strategic warfare since forever. Whether you believe the modern armored version is a Guderian invention or not his disciples used it time and time again on the Eastern front. Zhukov and Patton used the same thing against capable commanders as well. This is all dictated by terrain and the correlation of forces. You can't defend every piece of terrain in equal strength. Bypassing significant defenses and population centers which tend to be at cross roads to control the enemies logistics and force them to abandon positions of strength has been a part of mobile warfare in Europe stretching back to before the Roman empire. Modern armor makes it a bit faster but from cavalry to cataphracts to British lancers and German Panzer divisions, this has been basic strategy for millennia. It's effective and it is hard to defend against without either effective close air support, massive artillery base or flexible and ready mobile reserves.
First Page Last Page
Page 801 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.