***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,598,792 Views | 47845 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Waffledynamics
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Conscripts in track suits getting married just before deployment(Presumibly for benefits in case of KIA)

Sad but morbidly interesting scene as men have shotgun weddings moments before they leave for mobilization. You can tell from everybody's body language they know this is a one way trip.

I remember professor Roger Reese(TAMU History professor on Russian history and USSR) saying that the cultural mindset in Russia is very different from Americans. In a time of war, we talk about "serving our country" with the full expectation of going, fighting and returning home safely. In Russia, in the same manner they talk about, "dying for our country", for that is the expectation if you're going off to fight. I wonder if it can be traced back to the super late emancipation of the serfs in Russian society, because even after during the USSR days lives are entirely expendable if it's for the betterment of the state. It is sad and I would hope that 21st century interconnectedness would change this mindset for those living under oppressive boots, but I guess it's censured enough to not be the case.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Do these women know they're supposed to have 10 babies before their husband's go off to die?
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Gaius Julius Bevo said:

They mustered up a bunch of middle-aged and elderly men. Gads. Humor me, gents. Is there any good use out of these Russians other than cannon fodder? Can they be tasked with something meaningful that they can yet accomplish?

Earlier in the war…operation, when the russkies were stealing washing machines and dryers from houses, these guys probably would have been very good tinkering with them. Actual combat? Doubt these guys do much other than fetal position or surrender.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
txags92
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

Of course they are... Bless their hearts.
MouthBQ98
AG
If the Russians are smart, they will surrender in large numbers at the first opportunity when pressed, and therefore maximize their survival chances instead of fighting a in a reckless useless war.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
txags92 said:

Private PoopyPants said:

US will be found responsible. Due to the fact that Nord Stream carries Russian gas, it qualifies as Russian soil. US is a member of NATO, therefor the sabotage was a direct attack against Russian soil, by NATO. Full scale mobilization (which would be just as much of a charlie foxtrot) and martial law in Russia?
AgLA06
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

txags92 said:

Private PoopyPants said:

US will be found responsible. Due to the fact that Nord Stream carries Russian gas, it qualifies as Russian soil. US is a member of NATO, therefor the sabotage was a direct attack against Russian soil, by NATO. Full scale mobilization (which would be just as much of a charlie foxtrot) and martial law in Russia?
Probably. And the world will care about as much as their sham referendums.

FSB can't figure out why their army just evaporated. I'm sure there's lots of things going on here, but investigating isn't one of them.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
AgLA06 said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

txags92 said:

Private PoopyPants said:

Probably. And the world will care about as much as their sham referendums.

FSB can't figure out why their army just evaporated. I'm sure there's lots of things going on here, but investigating isn't one of them
Just have to make their own people believe it. Right now people are fleeing because it's a "not my war not my country" situation. Stir up feelings of nationalism and you get people clamoring to join. The question is whether the Russian people have started to reach their BS threshold. US population was torn on WWII, then Pearl Harbor happened. We were mostly ambivalent about the middle east, then 9/11 happened.
Ag In Ok
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

Kinda late don't you think? Other nations already assessed the situation and have responded accordingly. If this were a false flag on the Russian side, i would have thought they would be one of the first investigating and throwing out allegations.
CondensedFogAggie
Private PoopyPants said:

Evil despot lunatic empire that is invading, killing and raping a peaceful country complains about "International Terrorism".

Go **** yourself Russia. I hope all your pipes are blown to the heavens.
CondensedFogAggie

One of 5 brothers and 1 sister. Their father died young, so was raised by a single mom. 3 of the brothers went to war, 2 died.

Rest in peace. I'll buy you some heavenly beer next time I see you.
Ulysses90
AG
Ag In Ok said:

I am in the minority with this, but i think he will declare the occupied territories as Russian soil, launch an EMP, and bill rush the front with conscripts. What a waste of human life.

Using a low altitude nuke for EMP blinds and silences both sides across dozens of miles if not a hundred. No radios and no motor vehicles exposed to that would run except for old Soviet era Lada's with points and condenser ignition. I just don't see an army of pissed off conscripts marching on foot dozens of miles with no resupply of food, ammo, medical care or shelter, into a region that's already a wasteland to fight. They would just as likely march to Moscow.

Putin doesn't have an army anymore. He has a bunch of mafiosos that cannot motivate anyone except by threat of violence against them. They're dead men walking and they know it. Everyone from the cops to the Duma are going through the motions waiting for someone to take Putin out.

I don't believe the total collapse of the Russian military is unlikely. It's just a matter of time. Those that have been to the fight know they are beaten and those that have not in Moscow and St Petersburg will do anything not to go including putting guns to the back of old men, boys, and prisoners to push them to the meatgrinder.
CondensedFogAggie
CondensedFogAggie
Burrus86
AG
CondensedFogAggie said:

That's definitely going to leave a mark on the Ruskies.
AgLA06
AG
Burrus86 said:

CondensedFogAggie said:

That's definitely going to leave a mark on the Ruskies.
We can build like 2 a month right?
CondensedFogAggie

Nah keep going. Maybe this will finally convince the Germans to allow Leopold transfers.
74OA
AG
CondensedFogAggie said:

What am I looking at--is that by ship? Ukraine needs those airlifted to Poland and driven over the border into combat as soon as possible.
CondensedFogAggie
GAC06
AG
CondensedFogAggie said:

This is part of the reason the "Russians will use conscripts in human wave attacks" argument is silly. Historical examples are from times when precision fires couldn't be directed deep behind enemy lines in real time. Anywhere the Russians attempt to mass forces is asking for a salvo of GMLRS
CondensedFogAggie
74OA said:

What am I looking at--is that by ship?! Ukraine needs those airlifted to Poland and driven into combat sooner.
Probably a stock photo. If it helps, these were posted in the last few days. Not sure if destined for the Ukraine, but if so is probably there by now.

74OA
AG
CondensedFogAggie said:

74OA said:

What am I looking at--is that by ship?! Ukraine needs those airlifted to Poland and driven into combat sooner.
Probably a stock photo. If it helps, this was posted today though not sure if it's a repost.

Latvia is a long way from Ukraine, and the HIMARS there are for a NATO exercise.
SwigAg11
AG
That's what NATO wants you to think.
CondensedFogAggie
74OA said:

Latvia is a long way from Ukraine, and the HIMARS there are for a NATO exercise.
Well then, if they're done with the exercise, we have a place where we can put them to real use, don't we?

Also, 12 hour drive and you're in Ukraine. Not too bad.
LMCane
Private PoopyPants said:

now we see Muslims fighting on both the Ukraine side and the Russian side. Chechens playing both sides and the International Brigade fighting for Kyiv.

wonder if they ever go up against each other...
MouthBQ98
AG
A few days on a ship and a couple more on a train and they are there.
LMCane
CondensedFogAggie said:

Nah keep going. Maybe this will finally convince the Germans to allow Leopold transfers.
Condensed- I think you are referring to Leopard tanks.

Leopold was King of the Belgians.

Leopard is the German Main Battle Tank.

CondensedFogAggie
LMCane said:

Condensed- I think you are referring to Leopard tanks.

Leopold was King of the Belgians.

Leopard is the German Main Battle Tank.

I stand corrected.

Still would be impressed if they transferred the ghost of the King of Belgium though.
LMCane
Gaius Julius Bevo said:

They mustered up a bunch of middle-aged and elderly men. Gads. Humor me, gents. Is there any good use out of these Russians other than cannon fodder? Can they be tasked with something meaningful that they can yet accomplish?
according to many reports the Russkies are just bringing back former military veterans - for those guys there is some value add as they understand tactics and technology and how equipment works.

if they are just pulling 40 year old guys out of their civilian jobs and handing them an AK-74.. then no that is just cannon fodder waiting to be hit by a drone.
sclaff
AG
Here is a thread pointing at Russia for the pipelines. The speculation is fascinating

Waffledynamics
AG
aezmvp
LMCane said:

Gaius Julius Bevo said:

according to many reports the Russkies are just bringing back former military veterans - for those guys there is some value add as they understand tactics and technology and how equipment works.

if they are just pulling 40 year old guys out of their civilian jobs and handing them an AK-74.. then no that is just cannon fodder waiting to be hit by a drone.
I don't think based on what has made it to the West that their mobilization apparatus is functioning that well. Also the vast majority of those with prior service are 1 year conscripts who get very little in the way of military training during that time. This isn't like the Israeli model, those conscripts are basically grunts with contract soldiers (those serving for multiple years) and junior officers doing the work of NCOs and such. It's just not the same as what Western armies are training.
74OA
AG
LMCane said:

Gaius Julius Bevo said:

They are primarily reservists who were former 1-year conscripts. In addition to age, fitness and mental preparedness issues, they additionally have the problem of no refresher training since they left the military and almost none have combat experience. Are they better than someone with zero military background? Yes, but depending on how long since they were last in uniform, not much better.
First Page Last Page
Page 789 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.