***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,598,780 Views | 47845 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Waffledynamics
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quoting the fake video over and over again really helps keep this thread on track. Please keep quoting it. Thanks.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Putin is concerned with:

1. Avoiding a bayonet in his rectum or some other horrific fate
2. Maintaining power
3. His legacy from a Russian perspective

He needs to salvage something from this war. The future viability of Russia is someone else's problem. Putin is a cold and amoral person. Dictators who make it to old age typically are.

AgLA06
AG
The number of countries and embassies suddenly demanding their constitutes leave Russia is interesting.

This "war" has been going on for 7 months. What is triggering it now?
lb3
AG
wbt5845 said:

So I know you guys have followed this war a lot more closely than most, so what are y'alls thoughts on what Putin is doing with this referendum?

Is it to annex this part of Ukraine and just stop? Is it just strategic so that, if I=Ukraine attacks these areas, he can claim Russia is being attacked?

I thought the whole point of the war was to put a friendly government in place in Ukraine, but is Putin now looking for some other way out?
I think there is a domestic legal/political component driving annexation of Ukrainian territory. As you note Putin wants to reframe Ukraine's counter-attacks as attacks directly on Russia. Instead of a pretext to use nukes, I believe it is simply to sidestep political opposition and provide legal authorization for martial law and nationalizing the means of military production for a 'fuller' mobilization than the currently authorized 'partial' mobilization.
txags92
AG
Gaius Julius Bevo said:

They mustered up a bunch of middle-aged and elderly men. Gads. Humor me, gents. Is there any good use out of these Russians other than cannon fodder? Can they be tasked with something meaningful that they can yet accomplish?
Putin at this point has to be hoping that if he can hold onto Luhansk and Donetsk into the winter when advancing will become much more difficult for both sides, then he can wait out an economic and social collapse due to the lack of energy in Europe. Once Europe is absorbed with their own problems and desperately needs energy, he is hoping they will force Ukraine to accept negotiations to let him keep what he already has. Then he will go back to supplying them with energy until he gets enough troops built up to try again.
The Fife
With what pipeline? Isn't the one they were using out of commission, or are there other routes that aren't under the sea or cross through Ukraine that are still viable?
Ag In Ok
AG
I am in the minority with this, but i think he will declare the occupied territories as Russian soil, launch an EMP, and bill rush the front with conscripts. What a waste of human life.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yes, the whole nukes thing was only saber rattling to remind everyone they still have them and not to try to hit them at home while they are down. It also reassures the Russians that they have a superpower legacy at least and helps with morale at home in theory.

It is unsettling but the Russian policy on using nukes is pretty clear and globally, pretty much everyone that has them has a clear policy on when they might be used and it is primarily only as a counter to the strategic threat of others, and not as a practical war fighting measure. The only exception is North Korea simply because they have an unstable neurotic leadership.
txags92
AG
The Fife said:

With what pipeline? Isn't the one they were using out of commission, or are there other routes that aren't under the sea or cross through Ukraine that are still viable?
There is a pipeline through Ukraine at the least. Not sure what others are out there. Haven't seen evidence that the NordStream lines are irreparable yet. You would be surprised how quickly that kind of thing can be repaired when everybody needs it to operate.
lb3
AG
Ag In Ok said:

I am in the minority with this, but i think he will declare the occupied territories as Russian soil, launch an EMP, and bill rush the front with conscripts. What a waste of human life.
I can't think of a faster way to turn an army into fertilizer.
wbt5845
AG
Thanks for the insight.
The Fife
Would this be a Russian repair? I never followed the project when it was being built and don't really know much about pipelines and their ownership or control in general.
txags92
AG
The Fife said:

Would this be a Russian repair? I never followed the project when it was being built and don't really know much about pipelines and their ownership or control in general.
It would have to be cooperative between both ends of the line. If either side tried to repair it unilaterally, the other side could just start pumping gas again to destroy their efforts.
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG

Waffledynamics
AG

This is a real headline.
cbr
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Yes, the whole nukes thing was only saber rattling to remind everyone they still have them and not to try to hit them at home while they are down. It also reassures the Russians that they have a superpower legacy at least and helps with morale at home in theory.

It is unsettling but the Russian policy on using nukes is pretty clear and globally, pretty much everyone that has them has a clear policy on when they might be used and it is primarily only as a counter to the strategic threat of others, and not as a practical war fighting measure. The only exception is North Korea simply because they have an unstable neurotic leadership.
the funny thing about north korea is, everyone says they are unstable and neurotic.... yet they have had a clear, quiet succession and no conflicts for 70 years now.

maybe the neurotic bit is really just for show?
Waffledynamics
AG
Optimistic, perhaps? After the Kharkiv counteroffensive and what seems to be a snowballing mobilization, this could become reality.

Bryan98
AG
AgLA06 said:

FriscoKid said:

Looks like these guys have the same guns that they used the first time they fought the Germans. They should know how to use them.
You know how I know you aren't a military history buff?

You didn't understand that was a joke? It was hilarious! You can't let little details get in the way of a great joke.
Robk
AgLA06 said:

The number of countries and embassies suddenly demanding their constitutes leave Russia is interesting.

This "war" has been going on for 7 months. What is triggering it now?
Could be the belief that Russia is about to close all its borders.
torrid
AG
Waffledynamics said:

This is a real headline.
Um, isn't that pretty much what war entails? And remind me again who started the war?
Gaius Julius Bevo
Waffledynamics said:

This is a real headline.
That seems silly. If you are an aggressor on Ukrainian territory, reservist or careerist soldier, expect to surrender or be shot at.
MouthBQ98
AG
Perhaps. It keeps everyone guessing or doubting just enough.
torrid
AG
Bryan98 said:

AgLA06 said:

FriscoKid said:

Looks like these guys have the same guns that they used the first time they fought the Germans. They should know how to use them.
You know how I know you aren't a military history buff?

You didn't understand that was a joke? It was hilarious! You can't let little details get in the way of a great joke.
There are probably large numbers of people with dual citizenship, which I'm sure Russia will soon start to not recognize. They already may not in many instances.
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
CondensedFogAggie
rgag12
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Optimistic, perhaps? After the Kharkiv counteroffensive and what seems to be a snowballing mobilization, this could become reality.

Barring an unlikely complete collapse of Russian military structure, that prognostication is not realistic at all.

It looks like Ukraine has some nice momentum in the NE, but southern Ukraine looks way more challenging. Ukraine would have to either stage a major southerly breakout around Zaporizhzhia, or take the northern bank of kherson and subsequently attempt a major river crossing operation setting up bridgeheads under intense resistance from dug-in Russians. After that it would have to be a historic rout in order to push Russia out of southern Ukraine before January.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but to say it will be done in 3 months is highly unlikely. I think people's expectations got a little out of whack after the opening of Ukraine's Kharkiv counter-offensive where Ukraine rightly exploited Russia's bad strategy of holding a large area with only a handful of battalions.
amercer
AG
I think part of Putins plan, as mentioned above, is to make sure that this is over one way or another before next summer.
txags92
AG
Waffledynamics said:

That begs the question of whether the lines are expected to be out of service forever because they "can't" be repaired because they are too badly damaged, or because they "won't" be repaired because Germany has no interest in buying gas from Russia in the future once they get their LNG import terminals built.
AgLA06
AG
rgag12 said:

Waffledynamics said:

Barring an unlikely complete collapse of Russian military structure, that prognostication is not realistic at all.

It looks like Ukraine has some nice momentum in the NE, but southern Ukraine looks way more challenging. Ukraine would have to either stage a major southerly breakout around Zaporizhzhia, or take the northern bank of kherson and subsequently attempt a major river crossing operation setting up bridgeheads under intense resistance from dug-in Russians. After that it would have to be a historic rout in order to push Russia out of southern Ukraine before January.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but to say it will be done in 3 months is highly unlikely. I think people's expectations got a little out of whack after the opening of Ukraine's Kharkiv counter-offensive where Ukraine rightly exploited Russia's bad strategy of holding a large area with only a handful of battalions.
People said the same thing about Kharkiv. Russia now has a less capable fighting force than they did before that offensive.

We'll see.
Waffledynamics
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
rgag12 said:

Waffledynamics said:

He probably knows more than most.

The Kherson offensive in the south was a (real) feint to draw forces from the east. Then Ukraine rolled them. They may be looking to cut supply lines that run through the east before going for the coast and cutting the land bridge to the south in half. From there, they could attack the Russians to the west and try to hit Kherson from behind.
74OA
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Here's the best update on the pipeline incident I've come across. The commentator at the 12-minute mark is particularly interesting--he has a heavy accent, but definitely worth a listen

LEAKS
First Page Last Page
Page 788 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.