***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,611,616 Views | 47851 Replies | Last: 45 min ago by 74OA
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MouthBQ98 said:

Sending a bunch of poorly trained conscripts and out of shape and out of date reservists to the front line may do more harm than good.

Morale will be even worse, so they will be unreliable when pressed in combat, and they'll be less effective, and represent a large increase in logistics requirements simple due to numbers. Soldiers without food and fuel and ammunition will surrender.
you raise a very good point-

including even worse quality troops in the russian forces may actually harm the fighting power of the better units.

as these conscripts are on the flanks and run away, this will leave the veteran units trapped and constantly looking over their shoulders as to who is next to them.
LMCane
Waffledynamics said:

I'm seeing a lot of these drones getting mentioned lately.

Quote:

4 Iranian-made Shahed-136 drones were shot down today in Mykolaiv region at about 20:00

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/22-september-4-iranianmade-shahed136-drones-were-shot-down
supposedly the Iranians have sold over 150 of these Shahed drones to the Red Army to be used against Ukraine

let's hope they are as effective as most Iranian equipment
one MEEN Ag
AG
LMCane said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Sending a bunch of poorly trained conscripts and out of shape and out of date reservists to the front line may do more harm than good.

Morale will be even worse, so they will be unreliable when pressed in combat, and they'll be less effective, and represent a large increase in logistics requirements simple due to numbers. Soldiers without food and fuel and ammunition will surrender.
you raise a very good point-

including even worse quality troops in the russian forces may actually harm the fighting power of the better units.

as these conscripts are on the flanks and run away, this will leave the veteran units trapped and constantly looking over their shoulders as to who is next to them.
So they're going to have whole units of people who are there against their will. With the threat of a friendly fire bullet if they desert.

Sounds like there's going to be whole groups once given a rifle will just shoot their commander and surrender.
aggiehawg
AG
Rumors, fog of war, etc. but this seemed pretty funny.

Quote:

A wife from Tyumen in Siberia said: "I will not let my husband go. I'll break his both legs. His duty is to raise his children."
Soon after Putin's announcement aired, panic soon flooded social networks, which surged with advice on how to avoid the mobilisation or leave the country and avoid being sent to fight in the Ukraine war.
Google searches for "how to break a hand" soared within moments.
The authorities issued a special warning issued to potential recruits that they face legal sanctions if they self-harm by breaking arms or legs to avoid the call-up.

Other ploys were men seeking to wed women with multiple children.
Anna, a Muscovite, 46, said: "A friend, a single mother of five was proposed to today.
"She laughed so hard when she told me about it, and said looks like she will be super popular in the near future.
Quote:

"It seems men with three or more children will not be mobilised."
Bet that is a rumor because Putin needs a million mobilized.
CondensedFogAggie
BattleGrackle said:

Maybe these guys will get to shoot a mosin nagant?

Well, every other guy will get a rifle. You know the rest.

CondensedFogAggie
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

"It seems men with three or more children will not be mobilised."
Bet that is a rumor because Putin needs a million mobilized.

There's already accounts in Buryatia that a 38 year old with 5 kids and zero military experience was called up.
CondensedFogAggie
CondensedFogAggie

I hope your dad surrenders as soon as he gets to Ukrainian soil. This war isn't worth *****
B-1 83
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Putin 'passes secret law to send one million Russians to fight in Ukraine'

Quote:

an unnamed Kremlin source saying that the target number of one million men is written in Point 7 of Mr Putin's mobilisation order - a part that was redacted from publication.

Kirill, a 24-year-old barista from Moscow, was among those served with summons at a police station at midnight shortly after he was detained. Kirill was supposed to show up at the recruitment office at 10 a.m. but he did not, hoping that the enlistment office would not track him down as the police only took his old address.

In Buryatia, an impoverished Russian region five time zones away that became a major source for soldiers in the first six months of the invasion, a local journalist voiced outrage about her husband, a 38-year-old father of five with no military background getting called up.

A local university student in Buryatia's capital Ulan-Ude told the media outlet Village that police officers showed up at this university in the morning and were "taking students straight out of classes." "Some got visits at 4, some at 6 a.m. They all went to the recruitment office."

https://archive.ph/IX7pX#selection-1211.1-1214.0
5 time zones away…….people don't appreciate how enormous Russia is. The Siber alone is bigger than the whole US.
CondensedFogAggie
By the way, I might be here watching from afar, but I can't imagine the trepidation Ukrainians must be feeling.

Yes these are underequipped, undersupplied, undertrained non-existent morale having cannon fodder that will eventually be slaughtered or die of frostbite, but it's still a huge number of humans coming your way.

I hope every day the rest of the world is stockpiling more and more arms and supplies into the Ukraine.
Demosthenes81
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

4 Iranian-made Shahed-136 drones were shot down today in Mykolaiv region at about 20:00

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/22-september-4-iranianmade-shahed136-drones-were-shot-down

It seems the Iranian drones is drawing an Israeli response.
https://dronedj.com/2022/09/19/israel-reportedly-permitting-anti-uav-system-transfer-to-ukraine/?_gl=1*1hyaq3j*_ga*c2kxQ01mMnkwdUdxQXkyTVR2WG4wNy15eXJZS3dPS3lRazQ4M2haaFFFcFJBM0pIalk0MC1xcE9odVFOSmxwMg..
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
txags92
AG

By the way, I might be here watching from afar, but I can't imagine the trepidation Ukrainians must be feeling.

Yes these are underequipped, undersupplied, undertrained non-existent morale having cannon fodder that will eventually be slaughtered or die of frostbite, but it's still a huge number of humans coming your way.

I hope every day the rest of the world is stockpiling more and more arms and supplies into the Ukraine.
Probably about like the Iraqis felt watching the Ayatollah's human waves coming towards their positions. Except the conscripted orcs will be nowhere near as motivated as the Iranian religious fanatics were.
CondensedFogAggie

Any tank the Ukes can maintain, give it to'em.
txags92
AG
Demosthenes81 said:

Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

It seems the Iranian drones is drawing an Israeli response.
https://dronedj.com/2022/09/19/israel-reportedly-permitting-anti-uav-system-transfer-to-ukraine/?_gl=1*1hyaq3j*_ga*c2kxQ01mMnkwdUdxQXkyTVR2WG4wNy15eXJZS3dPS3lRazQ4M2haaFFFcFJBM0pIalk0MC1xcE9odVFOSmxwMg..

Of course. The Israelis want to see how their systems work in real world conditions...
CondensedFogAggie

Who?mikejones!

So Russia has chosen the wall of flesh offensive. They are either just going to send a bunch of "soldiers" into the teeth of the Ukrainian army or send an overwhelming number of soldiers into Crimea, Donetsk and and Luhansk and perform the old Stalingrad defense.
LMCane

the US Army fought off a million screaming Chinese in 1950.

a well trained and disciplined force can handle raw recruits in suicide wave attacks.

all these newbie conscripts can get taken out by HIMARs even before they start running across a field.
lobopride
How would Russia feed, clothe, and arm 1MM soldiers over winter? Seems nearly impossible even for a country with good logistics (which Russia obviously doesn't have). Sounds like they are going to get frostbitten, starving, and not well armed soldiers. Seems counter productive.
AgLA06
AG
LMCane said:

a well trained and disciplined force can handle raw recruits in suicide wave attacks.

all these newbie conscripts can get taken out by HIMARs even before they start running across a field.

If they go that route and winter stalemate sets in, the last thing you want to use the HIMARS on is troops. Use the mouths to bleed Russia dry. They'll keep hitting the logistics and depots and turn 1 million troops into a liability and ultimatelya mutiny threat.
2wealfth Man
AG
lobopride said:

How would Russia feed, clothe, and arm 1MM soldiers over winter? Seems nearly impossible even for a country with good logistics (which Russia obviously doesn't have). Sounds like they are going to get frostbitten, starving, and not well armed soldiers. Seems counter productive.
my thoughts as well, they can't even supply the troops they have on the ground now.
HumpitPuryear
AG
AgLA06 said:

LMCane said:

If they go that route and winter stalemate sets in, the last thing you want to use the HIMARS on is troops. Use the mouths to bleed Russia dry. They'll keep hitting the logistics and depots and turn 1 million troops into a liability and ultimatelya mutiny threat.
Those million troops are going to decimate the local civilians. Maybe that's how Putin plans for them to sustain themselves.
AgLA06
AG
HumpitPuryear said:

AgLA06 said:

LMCane said:

Those million troops are going to decimate the local civilians. Maybe that's how Putin plans for them to sustain themselves.

Locust can't sustain on nothing. That's why they move on. Keeping 1.5 million Locust in place all winter is a recipe for disaster. For Russia.
JDL 96
This is CRAZY that this is happening in 2022.
lb3
AG
LMCane said:

The Chinese actually broke the 7th Infantry Division so don't count on the Ukes being able to hold the line against a million strong wave attack when outnumbered 12:1.

Luckily the Ukes can employ a defense in depth strategy to check the orcs should the Russians actually have the logistics necessary to commit a million armed and trained troops to the battle.
Sims
AG
If I'm Ukraine I start air-dropping leaflets announcing a clemency program wherein you trade your firearms for food, clemency and a bus ticket to somewhere else in Europe.
hunter2012
AG
lobopride said:

It's the old fashioned Russian stratagem: We'll keep sending in the men until they run out of bullets, then we'll have them.

Unfortunately for Russia, due to economies of scale this is highly infeasible in the modern day unless if they know something about Ukrainian war supply inventories that the West doesn't.
AgLA06
AG
Sims said:

If I'm Ukraine I start air-dropping leaflets announcing a clemency program wherein you trade your firearms for food, clemency and a bus ticket to somewhere else in Europe.

If I'm Ukraine I ramp up drafting more men. They have a lot of military aged men not in the fight.
GeorgiAg
AG
revvie
AG
hunter2012 said:

lobopride said:

It's the old fashioned Russian stratagem: We'll keep sending in the men until they run out of bullets, then we'll have them.

Unfortunately for Russia, due to economies of scale this is highly infeasible in the modern day unless if they know something about Ukrainian war supply inventories that the West doesn't.
Sounds like the Russian bride market in the west will be booming.
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
cbr
AG
JDL 96 said:

yes, but we are seeing an awful lot of scum of the earth things now that we all thought should have been extinct now everywhere.

Ulysses90
AG
lb3 said:

LMCane said:

The Chinese actually broke the 7th Infantry Division so don't count on the Ukes being able to hold the line against a million strong wave attack when outnumbered 12:1.

Luckily the Ukes can employ a defense in depth strategy to check the orcs should the Russians actually have the logistics necessary to commit a million armed and trained troops to the battle.
That's not a rational comparison of the Chinese breaking the 7th ID. The Chinese 9th Army Group was a combat proven in the civil war and a year earlier had defeated the Kuomintang. Because this Army could not stand still and could not be garrisoned, it marched for the entire year from the defeat of the Kuomintang until it crossed the Yalu into North Korea in Nov 1950. Many of them were veterans of the fight against the Japanese. They had recent combat experience and they had been victorious.

The Russian conscript Army are recent civilians that have been torn away from home and are going to be pushed into a fight a matter of weeks. If it isn't a matter of weeks until they are sent to combat then it will be too late and the Russian Army will have to invade Ukraine for a second time.

Russia has no cadre left to train the conscripts. Their logistics are worse and winter is coming. A million man Army can barely load enough food by hand working around the clock just to feed itself. In what remains of the Donbas that is still in Russian hands, the living accommodations suck and that is before they are shelled by the Ukrainians. The Russian army leaders were never good but most of those at the Company level and below are dead or wounded. Their weapons are trashed and they are sending museum pieces into combat.

Russia has a tradition of sending soldiers to combat with one rifle for every third soldier and I have no doubt that they will try it again. However, they are not pursuing an exhausted enemy wit its own shattered logistics training retreating across hundreds of miles of steppe. The Russian horde will be sending undertrained and ill-equipped troops into the attack against extremely well trained and equipped Ukrainians who are fighting for their existence as a nation.

The Russians will not be able to employ human wave attacks like the PLA or the Inmun Gun. These are demoralized people who hate Putin and after being conscripted that hate may overcome their fear of him. Mutinies will be common. All the intercepted phone calls from Russian soldiers make it clear that the RF forces are already at a breaking point.
aggiehawg
AG
cbr said:

JDL 96 said:

yes, but we are seeing an awful lot of scum of the earth things now that we all thought should have been extinct now everywhere.

And that the Russians, by their culture and mental mindsets, can never be trusted. They are beasts, ruffians and completely devoid of humane instincts for anyone not Rus.

As Reagan said, "Trust, but verify." That should be amended. "Never trust. Period."

JFABNRGR
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

So Russia has chosen the wall of flesh offensive. They are either just going to send a bunch of "soldiers" into the teeth of the Ukrainian army or send an overwhelming number of soldiers into Crimea, Donetsk and and Luhansk and perform the old Stalingrad defense.

I didn't think previously the Kertch bridge would be a viable target condoned by us, but that may be changing fast and I am confident the plan is already drawn up.

Might be time to ship more air burst munitions and hell send any cluster bombs as well.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
First Page Last Page
Page 769 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.