***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,597,852 Views | 47843 Replies | Last: 20 min ago by AtticusMatlock
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yep. All the training and consultation with the US and Canadian militaries has paid off massively. The positive impact of Ukraine's decision to emulate our military structure, complete with a robust NCO corps cannot be overstated, IMO.
GAC06
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

The cynic in me says that Zelensky is happy to let Azov get annihilated in Mariupol. They tie up troops, he gets a humanitarian disaster to sell to the West for more weapons, and his ugly little Nazi optics problem gets taken care of.

And as to the claims of indiscriminate shelling of civilian areas- fortified urban areas are a, if not the, key component of the Ukrainian defense strategy. What does everyone think is going to happen when apartment buildings and whatnot are used to fire on advancing troops?

Yeah your poor Russians have no choice but to level cities. Just like we did with Fallujah. We cordoned the city then pounded it to dust with indiscriminate artillery fire without letting the civilians evacuate.

Oh wait that's not what we did at all is it?
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
sclaff
AG
MeatDr said:

Why doesn't NATO do some minesweeping in the Black Sea off of Nato member Romania's coast ?
CondensedFogAggie
aggiehawg said:

With that kind of gear, I hope they realize what's happening and call the surrender hotline as soon as they start seeing burned out tanks.

Better yet, get a tank or two, surrender, and set your family up for life back home.
txags92
AG
sclaff said:

MeatDr said:

Why doesn't NATO do some minesweeping in the Black Sea off of Nato member Romania's coast ?
Turkey is not letting any warships transit from the Med into the Black Sea.
MeatDr
AG
Source is an Azov Twitter account. Hopefully not true, but if it is?

Edit: updated with better embed.
Waffledynamics
AG
MeatDr said:

Source is an Azov Twitter account. Hopefully not true, but if it is?

Edit: updated with better embed.

Given that earlier today, there was an update wherein occupation authorities in the Donetsk region called for the use of chemical weapons in Mariupol, I would say it's almost certainly true.
MeatDr
AG
Rossticus
Gotta feed the sunflowers. Keep 'em coming.
Rossticus
Background on Chlorine gas use in Syria. Referenced thread from 2018 can't be rolled up via the app I use due to age of the post. If anyone needs me to post the full 2018 Twitter thread, just ask.

Full thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1513599917687812096.html

74OA
AG
Another interesting read from Jomini of the West. Not authoritative, but certainly informed.

(Click on the map and scroll thru the narrative to the right.)

Ulysses90
AG
BQ_90 said:

MeatDr said:

Taken apart, the Orlan drone looks like something a smart high school kid could put together.

That's not really a good comparison to the Predator drone at all. That is more of squad level drone like the raven
It's not the capability comparison (weapon vs. surveillance) but rather that 10 years after the Predator was fielded that the Orlan was fielded as a RF "program of record" surveillance drone using technology that could be purchased from a hobby shop.

The R&D for the Orlan was happening at basically the same time that the founders of Insitu were building the Scan Eagle (which is a much better comparison to the Orlan). This is nowhere near the capability of a Scan Eagle or the level of technology used in a Scan Eagle.

aezmvp
74OA said:

Another interesting read from Jomini of the West. Not authoritative, but certainly informed.

(Click on the map and scroll thru the narrative to the right.)

This is an excellent read and is very much what a good number of posters here have predicted as well.
GeorgiAg
AG
Don't know if someone has posted this before, but it documents the loss of life, prisoners and equipment in Ukraine. Google gave me an option to translate everything to English.

**************very, very graphic**********************

https://russoldat.info/
Rossticus
If true, then oooof. 30% is nearing operational ineffectiveness.

Full thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1513589960045207552.html

aezmvp
Hey Ross are you hearing anything about a chemical attack in Mariupol? I am looking for confirmation but haven't found it on any telegram channels I trust yet.

This would be in the AzovStal plant and it's going to be very, very difficult to get good info. A couple of good Twitter follows are talking about it but so far nothing I would consider confirmable.
Rossticus
aezmvp said:

Hey Ross are you hearing anything about a chemical attack in Mariupol? I am looking for confirmation but haven't found it on any telegram channels I trust yet.

Vague reports but no fine details or confirmation. Whenever the prospect of chem usage rears it's head I keep an eye on Dan Kaszeta.

Full thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1513608482955669514.html

Rossticus

Gilligan
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Don't know if someone has posted this before, but it documents the loss of life, prisoners and equipment in Ukraine. Google gave me an option to translate everything to English.

I can't imagine a loved one at home seeing their son, brother, whatever on that site.

Even if the deceased is an animal that deserved what he got. Brutal.
GAC06
AG
I wonder how many Russian families are finding out that way instead of from the Russian military.
aggiehawg
AG
GAC06 said:

I wonder how many Russian families are finding out that way instead of from the Russian military.
Don't know if it is still active but Uke government set up a website with the identification papers of dead Russian soldiers that Russians can access to look for their loved ones. It also included those taken as POWs.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Gilligan said:

GeorgiAg said:

I can't imagine a loved one at home seeing their son, brother, whatever on that site.

Even if the deceased is an animal that deserved what he got. Brutal.

They should see it, all things considered. That's the kind of thing that will end the popularity in Russia for what Russia is doing. They don't care that they're raping, pillaging, and murdering, but maybe they'll care when they Ivan's burnt corpse, Sergei's legs and arms blown off, or Nikolai's headless, contorted body. They need to know that Russian "greatness" comes at a cost.
CondensedFogAggie
Rossticus said:

I know it's been said before, but genuinely thank you for all the info you're posting Rossticus.

Secondly, I agree with James, ammo boxes should be raining onto them from the sky. I'm hoping it's more of a distribution problem.
Rossticus
No problem, and thank you. Just trying to do what I can with what I have.
Waffledynamics
AG
Good God.
MeatDr
AG
GarryowenAg
AG
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcOczNpPS5X/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edit: not sure how to link an Instagram post to this thread, so here a screenshot. Terrible news if confirmed.
CondensedFogAggie
MeatDr said:

If you're a Ukranian soldier reading stories like this again and again, I wonder how you can keep your composure and take pow's alive.
Rossticus
MeatDr
AG
Still not truly confirmed.

CondensedFogAggie
GarryowenAg said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcOczNpPS5X/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edit: not sure how to link an Instagram post to this thread, so here a screenshot. Terrible news if confirmed.

When you post, there's an Instagram icon/button you can click on and post your link. It's right next to the Twitter icon/button. Like this.

Your link had an extra '=' at the end that I think prevented it from being accepted.

https://instagr.am/p/CcOczNpPS5X

Also, if this doesn't cause a river of heavy armor and missiles to flow into Ukraine, I don't know what will.

Eliminatus
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Good God.
Chemical energetics have always been extremely unkind to the human body....

Both Ukraine and Russia will bear permanent scars from this "special military operation". Both physical on the land and in the minds and culture of the people.

My bias aside, Russia is going to have major problems in their invasion forces. The ones who survive after all of this is done. I met an incredible man in San Diego who basically kickstarted Russia's PTSD program years ago after their campaign in Afghanistan. They had nothing in place to help their soldiers. Absolutely nothing. Factor in the Russian machismo and the rampant alcoholism and it added up to a LOT of issues in their warriors.

Ukraine is going to be far worse I am sure. Their first wave units got decimated. In horribly gruesome ways as in that site. Fighting in a war that most of them didn't truly understand at first. Brutal large battles lead to severe mental stress of course but there have been some studies that highlight that an asymmetrical war with ambushes and traps can lead to even more stress cases. Having been through it myself, I tend to agree. The constant fear of not knowing when your death is coming is abrasive to a healthy state of mind. You either embrace it or slowly start to lose it. These Russians, especially their vehicle crew members, never know when their world will literally explode around them, day or night. Then you become one of those blackened and shriveled masses of charred meat adhered to the metal that was supposed to protect you. Or you carry on as you watch your friends suffer that fate over and over, until you can no longer carry on. Be it there at an ambush site or years later in your home.

**** Putin.
GarryowenAg
agent-maroon
AG
"Vestibulo atactic syndrome"

Sounds like nerve gas, no?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
First Page Last Page
Page 469 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.