***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,599,797 Views | 47846 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by sclaff
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rossticus said:

Do we have corroboration on this? Without a plant name, it's hard to verify.
JFABNRGR
AG
Rossticus said:

aggiehawg said:

JFABNRGR said:

aggiehawg said:

Thanks. Really hard to follow and understand everything.

Part of info missing is likely that 2 rockets were fired. One failed or was taken out and the other impacted as targeted.
Then where are the parts of the warhead? Wouldn't there be some evidence? A crater? Other parts somewhere?

"SS-21 / Tochka-U's basic 9N123F conventional warhead is 120kg of high explosives and is designed for fragmentation [shrapnel]. But it can also carry 9N123 cluster munitions, which Russia has used repeatedly in the war, even against hospital facilities."

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/russia-ukraine-war-banned-cluster-munion-used-syria
After further review of additional footage, it seems this was certainly an airburst with fragmentation (damage/blood on 3 sides of the bldg). Fragmentation almost always means Anti-personnel utilizing several hundred to thousands of small steel fragments. This would explain the limited damage to structure and no craters. With several hundred LB of explosives I still believe this rocket(s) did not fully work as capable, by the amount of intact glass and roof, either due to partial internal failure, intercept, etc.

I think the US mentioned this was a strategic target, but I strongly disagree. If you center the radius of damage the explosion occurred on the north end of the depot, where you buy tickets use the restroom etc where mostly passengers would be located, while missing the majority of industrial/commercial part of the yard and well beyond the blast radius of this weapon. There is zero evidence of any damage to track or trains and I am confident even the closet lines are completely operational. Coincidentally the remaining fuselage part of the rocket is about 300 feet from the center of the blast which also happens to be the expected damage radius of this warhead.

If I wanted to destroy the RR I would use HE explosive type warhead NOT fragmentation and I would target a bridge on the mainlines not yard track (several north and south of this location) or would have centered on the industrial/commercial part of the yard where transloading equipment is located and knowing a train loaded with something that would cook off creating much more damage. I would have also used multiple rockets not a single, which what I now believe this was changing my previous thought.

This missile has a 95M CEP (circular error probability) and those *******s hit their target evidenced by the blood soaked teddy bear that was in some childs arms at the moment they died. **** russia.
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

James Vasquez made it sound like he was running low on ammo. With all the heavy machinery coming in, hopefully nations aren't forgetting that they need bullets.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Coincidentally the remaining fuselage part of the rocket is about 300 feet from the center of the blast which also happens to be the expected damage radius of this warhead.
So, is that why you think there was some malfunction? Or is that part of the design? I keep seeing two different positions on whether that piece separated as designed or not.

TIA.
Waffledynamics
AG
I don't understand the idea of conscripting the local population that you've just tormented. They seem like a tremendous liability at best, and a massive risk of sabotage at worst. Where is the logic in this tactic?
aggiehawg
AG
Also, could you review this and let me know if it is accurate? This guy is cited by mostly pro-Putin sources but it sounds plausible.
Rossticus
Waffledynamics said:

I don't understand the idea of conscripting the local population that you've just tormented. They seem like a tremendous liability at best, and a massive risk of sabotage at worst. Where is the logic in this tactic?

No logic. Just cruelty. But it's what Russia does. Bodies to soak up bullets.
Ulysses90
AG
aggiehawg said:

Also, could you review this and let me know if it is accurate? This guy is cited by mostly pro-Putin sources but it sounds plausible.

That explanation makes a lot of sense to me. Cluster munitions, whether from an artillery shell or a rocket, are designed with what is referred to as an "expelling charge" rather than a "bursting sharge". The idea is that the submunitions are expelled at ~20m above the ground to scatter the submunitions to cover a large area with fragmentation. The rocket body is mostly undamaged from the detaonation of the expelling charge but will be damaged, but still in one piece, from hitting the ground.
aggiehawg
AG
Ulysses90 said:

aggiehawg said:

That explanation makes a lot of sense to me. Cluster munitions, whether from an artillery shell or a rocket, are designed with what is referred to as an "expelling charge" rather than a "bursting sharge". The idea is that the submunitions are expelled at ~20m above the ground to scatter the submunitions to cover a large area with fragmentation. The rocket body is mostly undamaged from the detaonation of the expelling charge but will be damaged, but still in one piece, from hitting the ground.
How about the part of being able to determine origin of the missile just from the positioning on the ground of the rocket body? That seems kind of random to me.
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

Waffledynamics said:

How do they stop them from sabotage, surrender, and desertion in significant enough numbers? They have no motivation to achieve the Russian objectives. None of this makes any sense. Russia is just making it all worse for themselves.
Waffledynamics
AG
From LiveUAMap:

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/9-april-ukrainian-army-repelled-russian-attack-in-donetsk

Quote:

Ukrainian army repelled Russian attack in Donetsk region, and conducted successful counterattack
Rossticus
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

Waffledynamics said:

How do they stop them from sabotage, surrender, and desertion in significant enough numbers? They have no motivation to achieve the Russian objectives. None of this makes any sense. Russia is just making it all worse for themselves.

I assume they do what they've historically done and put them in positions where they're essentially just cannon fodder and shoot anyone who hesitates to follow an order. I agree that it's not particularly effective but that doesn't stop them from doing lots of messed up things.
Waffledynamics
AG
Hmm... From LiveUAMap, updated 2 hours ago:

Quote:

Russian shelling again targeted cylinder with nytric acid in Rubizhne. Hazardous condition. Shelter in place, use individual protection equipment
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/9-april-russian-shelling-again-targeted-cylinder-with-nytric

But the video looks really familiar. Have we seen this already?

https://t.me/UkraineNow/9198
Waffledynamics
AG
Agreed. I'm no expert, but it just doesn't seem like Russia is doing anything to actually win this. It doesn't sound like the Ukrainian resolve is breaking much. In fact, they may only be getting more staunchly defiant of the Bear.
Waffledynamics
AG
From LiveUAMap:

Quote:

Russian army using suicide drones in Luhansk region
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/9-april-russian-army-using-suicide-drones-in-luhansk-region

Someone in the replies on Twitter says it's fake. Fact check?
Waffledynamics
AG
JFABNRGR
AG
aggiehawg said:

First I don't think that its uncommon for rockets of this type to separate like this. Similar to our own personal fireworks we launch, they go bang and pieces separate either by design or not. To me the booster laying close by and being mostly intact is very plausible and has become a serious distraction to what everybody should be focused on which is russia continues to commit atrocious acts of violence on civilians.....kids.

This article contains multiple points incorrect:

• Russia absolutely has these still in their arsenal and there is documentation of them shipping them to the war theatre in the last 2 weeks.
  • The B model which this supposedly is has a CEP of 95 M not 150.
  • The russians on three sides are ABSOLUTLEY within 120KM and in some directions only 60 KM away.

My bet is it was launched from the NE Rubizhne area and shipped in off the T1302 and then from R07 where it came in from russia. This would put the launch, the blast, and the booster portion all in a line. Rubizhne is only 70 KM from the rail station.

There is no reason for ukrainians to commit some heinous crime against themselves, to garner more support than they are getting. There is no shortage of evidence of the russians completely destroying civilians and civilian structures across ukraine and every other war they have ever been involved in. The risk of UKR getting caught in something of this scale would risk getting any further support cut off. This of course does not discount the fact that at the individual level some ukrainian soldiers have mistreated POWs etc.

aggiehawg
AG
Thank you.
Rossticus
Great analysis and consistent with everything that I've read thus far.
Pinochet
MeatDr said:

Lots of the mercenaries have never held a weapon? Something is wrong with that.
Ulrich
This is the same country that has a proud tradition of giving one gun to every two conscripts before a charge on an enemy position so that when the first one dies the second can pick up the gun and keep going. Conscripts are cheap, material is expensive, and if the conscripts malfunction your aristocratic officers can just discard them, which is to say shoot them or send them to a labor camp.

I said proud tradition because that sort of thing has been lionized since at least 1812 when they drove Napoleon out, and it has been repeated some of Russia's most legendary military moments. "Quantity has a quality all its own" isn't a Stalin thing to say, it's a Russian thing to say.*

On defense, Russia trades soil for time and logistical advantage. On offense, they trade blood for soil.

Imagine if every heroic general the US had, from Washington to Lee to Patton and Ike, fought like US Grant. That is the contingent path that has informed Russia's military mythos.

From that perspective, using someone else's worthless peasants as cannon fodder makes perfect sense, it's two birds with one stone.
Ulrich
*with the normal footnote that Russians are people too, and not every Russian is the same, but we're talking about tendencies and the environment that informs a culture and material circumstances that inform decision-making on a mass scale.
samurai_science
Pinochet said:

MeatDr said:

Not really, same thing happened in Syria/Iraq when volunteers from all over signed up to join the Kurds to fight ISIS. The Kurds had to send most away...
AgLA06
AG
He may be fighting with Ukraine regional volunteer forces. There were lots of videos of Ukrainians returning home to families after the Kiev defense was over. From the videos he's posted (including the one with the red head female) most in his unit appeared to be locals.
black_ice
Well done. This is also what I'm hearing from my sources as well.
JFABNRGR
AG
MeatDr said:

This is huge.

From my short time in the area it was my belief the hungarians also hate russians but there is a good chance hungarian leadership has been corrupted by FSB and likely with hunter b type stuff including what you can go to jail for simply by reposting.

It seems the Poles are leading the way in support of UKR. I suspect their red line already thin is getting thinner.
wangus12
AG
Pinochet said:

MeatDr said:

Wonder if he is talking about Uke civilians maybe?
wangus12
AG
I think the longer this goes on the greater the chance that Poland ends up with boots on the ground
aggiehawg
AG
wangus12 said:

I think the longer this goes on the greater the chance that Poland ends up with boots on the ground
Agree but they'll fly in first.
Waffledynamics
AG
I'm curious what the Ukrainian options are for taking all or part of the Donbas and occupied southern regions. Their progress with Kherson seems stymied by Russia rigging the bridge across the Dnieper to blow. Does Ukraine try to blitzkrieg across the river with combat engineers and swoop down into Kherson? Do they focus in the East on places like Kharkiv where there's heavy shelling and fighting already? Do they try to capture Izium? Do they play atrittion and try to weaken the Russians before a massive counteroffensive? Where do they really go from here?
In reply to
AG
That Azov group sounds like a royal pain in the ass for the Russians.
Waffledynamics
AG
Speaking of Azov, there's an update on LiveUAMap that leads to a Twitter post that is age restricted for some reason (though I can't tell where any graphic sights are).

Quote:

Mariupol: Accurate mortar fire by Azov targeting Russian supply trucks loaded with ammunition

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/9-april-mariupol-accurate-mortar-fire-by-azov-targeting-russian

Also:

Quote:

Russian Ministry of Defense reports it targeted Maltese-flagged General Cargo Vessel Apache(IMO: 8955586) in Azov Sea with artillery fire after it suspected the vessel in attempt to help "Azov" in Mariupol. The vessel caught fire and later was brought to Yeysk port
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/9-april-russian-ministry-of-defense-reports-it-targeted-malteseflagged
RogerEnright
I would think the more costly this is to russia, the less likely a NATO country changes the dynamic.

Said in another way, it is cheaper and safer for Poland to stretch out this war than to escalate. Besides escilation / Poland (NATO) boots on the ground increases the prob of nuclear war. They just need Russia to keep bleeding.
MeatDr
AG
wangus12 said:

Pinochet said:

MeatDr said:

Wonder if he is talking about Uke civilians maybe?

Yes, without going back to look, I believe he's mentioned before that he and "Brit" (the UK guy in his unit) are the only two foreigners, and they've spent a lot of time training the rest of the unit.
MeatDr
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 461 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.