***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,613,667 Views | 47853 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by 74OA
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting overview of the coming Ukrainian insurgency. Well worth a read.

Endless War?
JFABNRGR
AG
74OA said:

Interesting overview of the coming Ukrainian insurgency. Well worth a read.

Endless War?
If that is the case and you look at it from a sheer humanitarian aspect both to UKR and Globally to include implications of food crisis than we should NOT be equipping them for the long haul but to kick russia out completely ASAP.
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
MeatDr
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
I saw an update on LiveUAMap that a big food warehouse was destroyed in Eastern Kyiv, and that it was likely struck multiple times. I can't post it because of my bad reception right now, but it was mentioned earlier today.
MeatDr
AG
Rossticus
TRM
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Supposedly, an oil depot.
TRM
AG
Waffledynamics said:

I saw an update on LiveUAMap that a big food warehouse was destroyed in Eastern Kyiv, and that it was likely struck multiple times. I can't post it because of my bad reception right now, but it was mentioned earlier today.
This I believe.
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/30-march-the-russians-destroyed-a-big-food-warehouse-on-the
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus

MeatDr
AG
Looks like the Wagner group may finally be in Ukraine.

MeatDr
AG
BreNayPop
AG
Oh hell no!!!
Rossticus

Roll up: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1509240797283160067.html
aggiehawg
AG
Are those essentially the same as these? Both antipersonnel mines?

GAC06
AG
Brewskis said:

deddog said:

Maroon Dawn said:

The biggest head scratcher in all of this is: where is the Russian Air Force? They've basically ceded the skies to Ukraine and their ground forces are being devastated because of it
I'll repeat what i tell folks very often. The US armed forces make complex shi$ look easy.
The RuAF is flying relatively far away from their bases, in hostile air space.
For close support they have Su-25s and Su-34s.
The SU-25s cannot be refueled in the air. The SU-34s are too fast, and cannot loiter. i doubt they practice inflight refueling much, if at all.
Those that loiter have to deal with a tremendous amount of MANPADS . (BTW, i am very skeptical of any Uke AF ops, i dont think Uke air force pilots want to be flying in these conditions either).
Communication between ground troops and the RuAF will be tenuous at best.

All in all, it's a recipe for disaster.
i do think this would have been the case for any country not called the US of A. Our armed forces kick ass.

Overall, you're mostly correct. Just some things based on open source Intel that people that aren't in the biz of air power may find enlightening.

- The Russians are actually operating incredibly close to their bases. It's pretty standard for us to operate hours away from our bases. I had about a 2 hour transit each way to/from Syria on my last deployment. They are probably just out of reach of UKR ballistic missile ranges, which isn't far away at all from the UKR border.

- The Su-34 (and anything from the Flanker family) carries an incredible amount of gas, and they only carry it internally (no external fuel tanks). They carry more internally than any US/western fighter, and more total gas than just about anything but an F-15E with external fuel tanks.

- Most tactical fighter aircraft usually don't worry about MANPADS as they can just operate above the maximum altitude of these and use precision weapons from higher altitudes. Notable exceptions are the A-10 and Harrier (because I know GAC would have something to say about it).

So why are Russian 4++ gen aircraft getting taken out by MANPADS?

1.) Lack of precision weapon employment is forcing them into lower altitudes.

2.) The biggest reason is the RuAF has failed to destroy/degrade UKR's S-300 (SA-10) SAM systems. The S-300 is a bit long in the tooth but it is still a very capable weapons system. As a result, they are forced to operate low to either deny detection, or to minimize the range of the actual missiles. Russia has never doctrinally practiced SEAD (suppression of air defense) or DEAD (destruction of air defense) because the West doesn't rely on SAMs as a primary means of air defense versus aircraft. SEAD/DEAD is probably the most difficult part of gaining air superiority and the RuAF has no background in it.

In general I think you are also overselling how good we are at it as well. I think we are leaps and bounds better than RuAF, but don't sell the UKRAF short either. I have met a few of them and some of my co-workers were part of the Clear Sky 2018 exercise with them in Ukraine. Of the ones that I've met 1 is dead and the other is apparently doing regular interviews on CNN while sitting alert.

Well said. We generally stayed medium altitude in Afghanistan because of the slight MANPAD threat. Most Oplans for adversaries with legitimate IADS basically had us sitting out until a couple days in then doing low altitude stuff.

At least we have good targeting abilities and actual CAS and AR doctrine. The Russians seem to have shown the world they just can't sustain high sortie generation, do SEAD, or generally do complex large force operations.
Rossticus
PJYoung
AG
TRM said:

Waffledynamics said:

This I believe.
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/30-march-the-russians-destroyed-a-big-food-warehouse-on-the
Rossticus
P.U.T.U
AG
And those are on a bridge too. That is a big glass of nope if I ever saw one
javajaws
AG
MeatDr said:

How bad do you have to be at mine laying that some dude can not only drive right over/through your sad attempt at mining a road but can do it pulling a trailer?!?
Robk

??? - Earlier today it was said they using the area for weapon storage. Blow it up and blame Ukraine?
Rossticus
FriscoKid
AG

Citizens not forced into Russia either. Not sure that I would trust this news.
JFABNRGR
AG
Look like anti-tank mines to me with about 15 lbs of explosives each. T46s or T62s.

They certainly will destroy any personnel within the armored vehicle and likely within a 30M radius + whatever shrapnel flies.

Not sure I understand the proximity of the ones on the bridge. One vehicle will likely set off all of them. Might could have accomplished more with less and then put a billboard "BRIDGE IS MINED GTFO"
HTownAg98
FriscoKid said:

Citizens not forced into Russia either. Not sure that I would trust this news.
We've seen this movie 3-5 times already.
rab79
AG
javajaws said:

How bad do you have to be at mine laying that some dude can not only drive right over/through your sad attempt at mining a road but can do it pulling a trailer?!?
probably set up to get military vehicles but let civilian traffic through the way they were laid out and apparently with a traffic director on site. Would do with the lifted jeep, if I needed through bad enough.
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
P.U.T.U
AG
That may be the point, if a vehicle hit a mine it will may take out the bridge. Not the best way to do it though
txags92
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Look like anti-tank mines to me with about 15 lbs of explosives each. T46s or T62s.

They certainly will destroy any personnel within the armored vehicle and likely within a 30M radius + whatever shrapnel flies.

Not sure I understand the proximity of the ones on the bridge. One vehicle will likely set off all of them. Might could have accomplished more with less and then put a billboard "BRIDGE IS MINED GTFO"
Knowing how thoroughly looted their supply chain is, are we sure there is actually any explosives in those? Or are they just fancy metal bucket lids laid upside down?
aggiehawg
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Thanks. So who put the mines there? Ukes or Russians?
MJ20/20
AG
It's twitter noone knows jack shat.
First Page Last Page
Page 414 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.