***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,632,198 Views | 47864 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by LMCane
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here come the Libyans

Rossticus
MeatDr
AG
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Rossticus said:

Here come the Libyans

Why does it seem Russia is DARING other countries to go ahead and get involved?
/End of Message
jobu93
AG
lb3 said:

Captain Positivity said:

People were asking if this was more reminiscent of 1979 or 1914.

Well…

These are textbook prepared fighting positions. Anytime infantry stays in a given place for any length of time, they should be constantly trying to improve their fighting positions. This eventually involves the use of an entrenching tool (small shovel).

You will notice firing platforms cut into many of these holes. These shelves are cut to allow machine gun bypods (and infantry elbows) to rest below the surface so the machine gunner has a slightly lower profile.

Here is a chapter on their construction.
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/21-75/Ch2.htm#s5

Those are shockingly precise. I'm thinking as good as they are nah be an indication that the morale might not be as bad as we think.
YouBet
AG
Rossticus said:

These Russian diplomats are embarrassing themselves at this point. Unless they are going to proactively nuke someone, they aren't doing dick to the Baltics.

They physically can't. Would almost love to see them try with conventional means and watch them get rolled in about 2 days.
Not a Bot
AG
Rossticus said:

aggiehawg said:

Why is a that such a rare tank? Is it new?

"Commander" variant of the T-80U. Equipped with Shtora-1 APS (electro-optical active protection system or suite for tanks, designed to disrupt the laser designator and laser rangefinders of incoming anti-tank guided missiles.) and thermal imaging night sight TO1-PO2T (detection range / target classification range = 6,400/4,600 meters at night).

Apparently large scale production of this variant has yet to ramp up and recent sanctions on technology used for the listed upgrades now make it unlikely that it ever will.

The NLAW is designed in part to defeat these countermeasures by using a clever system based on magnetic signature. You point at your target for a few seconds, no laser lock needed, and the missile flies to that spot.

The trade-off is you have to fire these at much closer range than a javelin.
Rossticus
Player To Be Named Later said:

Rossticus said:

Here come the Libyans

Because it feels that regardless what actions they take, nobody will do what is required to stop him. So far he's correct.
Rossticus
Eliminatus
AG
Rossticus said:

Equipment fails. With the volume of fire in Ukraine, it is a certainty. Our stuff breaks too. Can't tell you how many runaway guns I have seen. Or the SMAW rocket that launched while I had it across my knee and my gunner was loading it. Now, I know why the need to NOT put your hand over the back venturi as you load it was beaten into us, even if it is the natural feeling way to do it. He would have lost his entire lower arm if he had.

Engineers also lost a man when the rocket of a breaching charge failed. Burned alive. Awful way to go.
No Spin Ag
Rossticus said:

Player To Be Named Later said:

Rossticus said:

Here come the Libyans

Because it feels that regardless what actions they take, nobody will do what is required to stop him. So far he's correct.

I agree. It seems as if every other country is trying to make sure they don't seem like they're wanting to get actively involved in the war, which is what it is, because there's far that Putin will go nuclear, and there's still many in this country that don't want to see boots on the ground in Ukraine. I'm thinking that when both of those two are no longer an issue, maybe then we'll get into it with Russia.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
aggiehawg
AG
Thermobaric?
Rossticus
B-1 83
AG
Rossticus said:

Here come the Libyans

If there was an opening to send a message, this is one. The first Libyan that shows up should be greeted with a story of a bomb strike back home. We can do that with impunity at their staging bases.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

What the heck was that?
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

I feel so sorry for that doomed city. They're giving the Russians hell, but what a nightmare. They must have had a ton of supplies there to begin with to still be fighting it out.

I hope for some sort of news that the siege can be broken.
FJB
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

What the heck was that?
Yikes
Who is John Galt?

Rossticus

ATX_AG_08
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
It doesn't seem like Ukraine has much of a Navy to speak of that can go after those ships.

Poor Mariupol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_Ukrainian_Navy_ships
Rossticus
Less funding able to be diverted for the Russian war effort.

VitruvianAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

Thermobaric?

...and hypersonic if that was real speed video.
aggiehawg
AG
22 billion Euros is about 24 billion USD.
GAC06
AG
Hypersonic based on a grainy nighttime video? Ok
Rossticus
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

I feel so sorry for that doomed city. They're giving the Russians hell, but what a nightmare. They must have had a ton of supplies there to begin with to still be fighting it out.

I hope for some sort of news that the siege can be broken.

aggiehawg
AG
VitruvianAg said:

aggiehawg said:

Thermobaric?

...and hypersonic if that was real speed video.
As a child who watched Vietnam footage on the nightly news while eating dinner, having some Napalm flashbacks.
VitruvianAg
AG
GAC06 said:

Hypersonic based on a grainy nighttime video? Ok

Yep, Lets hope it's propaganda!
lb3
AG
oldmanguy said:

lb3 said:

Captain Positivity said:

People were asking if this was more reminiscent of 1979 or 1914.

Well…

These are textbook prepared fighting positions. Anytime infantry stays in a given place for any length of time, they should be constantly trying to improve their fighting positions. This eventually involves the use of an entrenching tool (small shovel).

You will notice firing platforms cut into many of these holes. These shelves are cut to allow machine gun bypods (and infantry elbows) to rest below the surface so the machine gunner has a slightly lower profile.

Here is a chapter on their construction.
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/21-75/Ch2.htm#s5

Those are shockingly precise. I'm thinking as good as they are nah be an indication that the morale might not be as bad as we think.
Agree. They appear to have also cleared some lines of fire as well so they were likely pretty well lead.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Not exactly an ambiguous statement regarding Russia's long term goals.

C@LAg
Rossticus said:

Not exactly an ambiguous statement regarding Russia's long term goals.

so literally world war 3.

china likely to make a play sooner rather than later.
Robk

So it appears the Russians got their reply to the surrender of Mariupol.

Basically - no need to wait until 5. am. Go eff yourselves.
sweet00
Nuts!
Dorm 15
AG
Is Putin "begging" NATO to get involved so he can save face from getting his army defeated by Ukraine?
Robk
Dorm 15 said:

Is Putin "begging" NATO to get involved so he can save face from getting his army defeated by Ukraine?
I think at this point he wants WWiii. His only way out is with the help of China, India, and half of Africa and that only happens in an East vs West war.
First Page Last Page
Page 363 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.