***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,545,165 Views | 47728 Replies | Last: 19 min ago by 74OA
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You'd think the Russians would be familiar with Leningrad and Stalingrad.

Two sieges that tied up the resources of the attacker and drained their combat power away over many months, making them highly vulnerable to counterattack from other forces.
W
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

Fitch said:

Apologies if already posted.

letting angry crowds of people form a country you are invading get that close to your vehicles and even pound on them seems to me like a great way to get IEDs planted in your fender/wheel wells....
yes, this is a great example of the problem with "civilized" or "nice" war
txags92
AG
Is it just me or is the new E-3 on station flying alot closer to the Polish/Belarus border than the one last night? Lots of tanker assets in the air for planes that aren't showing up on ADSB/Flightradar...wonder if these denials by Romania, Poland, etc are just for show to help them save face with Russia diplomatically.

Ag In Ok
AG
Have both Romania and Hungary closed their airspace to support / overwatch flights?
txags92
AG
Ag In Ok said:

Have both Romania and Hungary closed their airspace to support / overwatch flights?
Based on the tankers flying over Romania and the Rivet Joint that was there last night, I would say no.
Max Power
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Is anyone else amazed that the Russians weren't trained to dispose of their tanks, weaponry etc when about to be captured, or abandoned? Doesn't US always try to dispose of any equipment if there's a chance it goes to enemy hands - just to not allow intelligence gathering? Of course they may have been trained to not leave a tank in enemy hands, blow it up or render inoperable before you leave it - or the Russians just DGAS and are bailing out.
I think you nailed the two most likely factors: training and soldiers that don't believe in the cause. I have no idea how much training these soldiers undergo for matters like this anymore than I know what our own do. Perhaps it's a complete leadership breakdown, which wouldn't be shocking either. If there's a complete communications fiasco then that also could have played a part. So much time has passed since the USSR has officially existed that I would venture to say the majority of the Russian soldiers don't care about overtaking Ukraine, it's a goal of old men like Putin wanting to bring back their old world while they still have time. I think it's a combination of all the above, and then some.

But before we get too judgmental about their military in that regard lets not forget what our own military did (or didn't do) when they had plenty of time and resources to destroy our equipment in Afghanistan before leaving.
TRM
AG
mts6175
AG
Ag In Ok said:

We have an airbase in Costanta don't we, so I doubt it.
txags92
AG
agsalaska said:

RONA Ag said:

PJYoung said:

Call me an idiot but I think Ukraine is going to pull this out
I think they are too.

Russia may win the initial war, but they will be destroyed by the sanctions and the insurgency that is coming their way.
Interesting, but not surprising how much the "want to" of the troops involved can affect the outcome. If the stories about the Russian troops motivation levels are even close to accurate, there is no way they hold up long term against the energized and armed Ukrainian locals.
ABATTBQ11
AG
It wasn't "our" equipment that got left and taken, it was equipment we left for the Afghan army. Most of what we left of our own equipment was destroyed.
TRM
AG
Technically, this is an attack on NATO member.
ETA: This was earlier today. Just a damage update.
JB!98
AG
txags92 said:

Is it just me or is the new E-3 on station flying alot closer to the Polish/Belarus border than the one last night? Lots of tanker assets in the air for planes that aren't showing up on ADSB/Flightradar...wonder if these denials by Romania, Poland, etc are just for show to help them save face with Russia diplomatically.

Looks like the E-3 is coming as close as 20 nm from the border on the bottom end of his figure 8. This is also the first time I have seen one fly a figure 8 instead of a racetrack pattern. I wonder if there is any tactical advantage with a figure 8 pattern in terms of radar.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
fullback44
AG
I'm willing to bet the planes are in Ukraine .. EU
And NATO just said they weren't.. us people and the media do not need to know any of this .. let the Fog of War take place and hide the real strength of what is going on in the sky…. Let Putin keep thinking he owns the sky.. take them out 1 at a time
74OA
AG
Jock 07 said:

74OA said:

Jock 07 said:

JobSecurity said:

Hopefully the western world has the fortitude to start a psyops campaign to spread the truth to those within Russia. Paybacks a ***** for decades of trying to undermine democracies around the world.
Already Happening

Disruption is fine but I'm more talking about providing a platform where folks like Mikhail Khodorkovsky can spread their message to the masses.
That's happening, too.

"Volunteers are gathering information on attacks and casualties to fact check and challenge Russia's version of events, she said, posting messages on Telegram and other Russian social media platforms. Others work to educate international audiences or produce patriotic content."

Truth Telling
Fitch
AG
Max Power said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Is anyone else amazed that the Russians weren't trained to dispose of their tanks, weaponry etc when about to be captured, or abandoned? Doesn't US always try to dispose of any equipment if there's a chance it goes to enemy hands - just to not allow intelligence gathering? Of course they may have been trained to not leave a tank in enemy hands, blow it up or render inoperable before you leave it - or the Russians just DGAS and are bailing out.
I think you nailed the two most likely factors: training and soldiers that don't believe in the cause. I have no idea how much training these soldiers undergo for matters like this anymore than I know what our own do. Perhaps it's a complete leadership breakdown, which wouldn't be shocking either. If there's a complete communications fiasco then that also could have played a part. So much time has passed since the USSR has officially existed that I would venture to say the majority of the Russian soldiers don't care about overtaking Ukraine, it's a goal of old men like Putin wanting to bring back their old world while they still have time. I think it's a combination of all the above, and then some.

But before we get too judgmental about their military in that regard lets not forget what our own military did (or didn't do) when they had plenty of time and resources to destroy our equipment in Afghanistan before leaving.

*sounding like many are conscripts
Athanasius
AG
Ag In Ok said:

FireAg said:

Is the best Uke strategic plan to let RU forces in and then cut off their supplies?

They ain't going anywhere fast, it appears...

Would it be the first time in history where the besieged starves the sieging army?
Reminds me a bit of the Siege of Alesia situation...

https://www.unknownsoldierspodcast.com/post/52-bc-the-siege-of-alesia

NewOldAg
AG
Watching the occupants of that grey car get out alive was incredible.
Ag In Ok
AG
Those in the grey SUV survived!!!
jsc8116
AG
Just a random thought, could Russian higher ups in military be sabotaging this whole operation to build up negative sentiment against Putin so if/when a coup is carried out they will look like the liberators of Russia?
74OA
AG
NewOldAg said:

Watching the occupants of that grey car get out alive was incredible.
.......people on foot also come running out of the smoke, too.
YouBet
AG
I bet their ears are toast.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
W said:

BlackGoldAg2011 said:

Fitch said:

Apologies if already posted.

letting angry crowds of people form a country you are invading get that close to your vehicles and even pound on them seems to me like a great way to get IEDs planted in your fender/wheel wells....
yes, this is a great example of the problem with "civilized" or "nice" war

And pretty soon it won't be civilized, the trucks will not stop or even slow down, they will just plow right through.

There are alot of things, smart things, civilians can do to stall or affect Russian progress without risking a needless/useless death, but standing in front of a tank, truck, APC, etc. is not one of them.
JobSecurity
AG
EMY92
AG
Ag In Ok said:

FireAg said:

Is the best Uke strategic plan to let RU forces in and then cut off their supplies?

They ain't going anywhere fast, it appears...

Would it be the first time in history where the besieged starves the sieging army?
Happened in the same area almost 80 years ago.
Bag
AG
TRM said:

Technically, this is an attack on NATO member.
ETA: This was earlier today. Just a damage update.

This **** is out of hand, with a heavy heart I predict the US is at war with Putin within two weeks
Teddy KGB
AG
Max Power said:

Big Al 1992 said:

But before we get too judgmental about their military in that regard lets not forget what our own military did (or didn't do) when they had plenty of time and resources to destroy our equipment in Afghanistan before leaving.I saw a video several pages back showing a group of civilian Urkrainians stopping a Russian convoy with an improvised roadblock. The Russian vehicles pull off to the side of the road
I saw a video several pages back where a group of Ukrainian civilians had set up an improvised roadblock. The Russian vehicles pull off to the side of the road and that's it. I zoomed in to confirm and saw no one dismounting these vehicles. I'm simply amazed by this. It's been a long time since I've been in the Army but one thing I remember is security. I've pointed out before I never see Russian troops pulling security. Seen the video of the Russian BMP being lit up practically point blank range by a RPG? Where were the dismounts that could have prevented that? The Russian troops are poorly trained, and they are poorly led. I last saw a casualty count of about 5500 troops from yesterday. As poopie as these troops are performing I'm legitimately wondering if that is actually a conservative estimate.

A question for current military folks. I saw another video of Russian troops patrolling down a major city avenue. Why walk down the middle of the street? Do they have a death wish or have city tactics changed from what I remember? I mean to me that just screams danger Will Robinson danger!
War is Peace Freedom is Slavery Ignorance is Strength
hbtheduce
AG
Doubtful unless Russia actually attacks us first. War is polling TERRIBLY right now.
Bag
AG
hbtheduce said:

Doubtful unless Russia actually attacks us first. War is polling TERRIBLY right now.
we are dealing with an evil not seen since Hitler better to deal with him sooner rather than later
Ranger26
We have a KC-135 flying circles in Poland, and a KC-10 flying back to Poland from working in Romania. So we're refueling aircraft around Ukraine.
TRM
AG

jabberwalkie09
AG
Ranger26 said:

We have a KC-135 flying circles in Poland, and a KC-10 flying back to Poland from working in Romania. So we're refueling aircraft around Ukraine.

It's basically been that way since the first day.
GarryowenAg
AG
JobSecurity said:

Why does this even matter? Won't Russia just veto it anyways?
aezmvp
GarryowenAg said:

JobSecurity said:

Why does this even matter? Won't Russia just veto it anyways?
General Assembly and the Security Council are different. GA has no impact on peacekeeping operations iirc.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Bag said:

hbtheduce said:

we are dealing with an evil not seen since Hitler better to deal with him sooner rather than later

ISIS was pretty evil.
Charpie
AG
I hadn't watched any of these videos because I knew how I'd react. I watched this one and now I'm a bit of a mess. I can't imagine. It makes me so very sad.
First Page Last Page
Page 167 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.