***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,552,857 Views | 47733 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by 74OA
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When does the MOEX open?
mike0305
TheCougarHunter said:

Anyone think the SWIFT announcement was purposefully done over the weekend to stir up more panic? Or was it a blunder by NATO to allow the oligarchs more time to get their accounts in order?

I'm not super smart on this financial stuff so I'd like to know what you guys think about this.

I wondered this as well, some were criticizing not moving quickly enough. To me it seemed strategically timed, allowing European markets a couple of days to prepare, then dropping SWIFT early in the weekend causing Russian markets to panic while everyone continued ramping up the pressure.
Stupid@17
AG
Bigfoot Is Real said:

Is it possible that Putin will shake things up with his military leadership and get a 'better; plan together? I didn't know how to intelligently ask that with my lack of military knowledge.

There is only so much that can be done once troops, armor, etc. are all already on the ground.

If the Russians send in bombers it may kick off true counter attacks by the west.
EX TEXASEX
I feel sorry for these poor *******s. Conscripts, you know they didn't want to be there. Hell, a few look
like they got their pubs this year !
RangerRick9211
AG
10AM Moscow. I think 2 hours or so.
GAC06
AG
Bigfoot Is Real said:

Is it possible that Putin will shake things up with his military leadership and get a 'better; plan together? I didn't know how to intelligently ask that with my lack of military knowledge.

Yes, but these things don't turn on a dime. In WWII Russia could fire someone and start again. These days things happen much faster. New leadership won't change things significantly in the days necessary to change things for Russia
fullback44
AG
TRM said:

This is some good stuff, the Ukraine people are starting to get some sleep knowing they are protected by their armed forces and the EU / NATO…
Cargo Shorts FTW
AG
I was watching the rooftop live streams and was wondering why Kiev is lit up at night like any other non war day? Street lights, windows, headlights, etc. I thought the standard practice in war was to kill lights at night to not provide any attacker assistance, reference.

This an fu to RU troops? A sign of no real night threat from RU? Keeping the general population calm? myth? Just not what I expected to see.

harge57
AG
Discussed earlier. All the utilities are owned by Russian companies.
txags92
AG
Eliminatus said:

We had to do this for Afghanistan too. This thread is for the actual facts, data, interpretations, fallouts and other such conversation about this new conflict.

Tired of the BS poo flinging derailing of the other thread. It's annoying to slog through to find actual updates.

Staff - Would you mind keeping a short leash on this thread please?

[2/5/22 9:36 a.m. CST]

[We have had to clean up a lot of derails on this thread and we are not going to do it again without issuing bans to posters for at least 72 hours that makes posts that derail from the tactical aspects of this thread. There is the warning. -Staff]

[We are adding this to make it clear that if a poster isn't deliberately trolling or attempting to derail this thread then they do not have to worry about a ban. -Staff]
Just bringing this warning down into the current thread so those tempted to chat domestic politics can't claim they didn't see the OP.
fooz
What's the latest live stream?
TRM
AG
Haven't seen anything else yet.
i is smart
AG
TAMUAllen posted a good one on page 127.
TAMUallen
AG
fooz said:

What's the latest live stream?

AgsMyDude
AG
Pretty good thread here

i is smart
AG
The Russian Bots are desperate. They just got #abolishNATO trending, but it's of course being mocked.
chickencoupe16
AG
Cargo Shorts FTW said:

I was watching the rooftop live streams and was wondering why Kiev is lit up at night like any other non war day? Street lights, windows, headlights, etc. I thought the standard practice in war was to kill lights at night to not provide any attacker assistance, reference.

This an fu to RU troops? A sign of no real night threat from RU? Keeping the general population calm? myth? Just not what I expected to see.

Lit up cities were a bigger issue when bomber pilots needed landmarks for navigation. GPS, GLONASS, and guided munitions don't care if the lights are on.
Charpie
AG
Bigfoot Is Real said:

The Russian Bots are desperate. They just got #abolishNATO trending, but it's of course being mocked.
wildmen09
AG
EX TEXASEX said:

I feel sorry for these poor *******s. Conscripts, you know they didn't want to be there. Hell, a few look

I actually believe them but the "no need to come here" is extremely scripted. Hard to tell if they're being "persuaded" to say that line. Clearly against our Code of Conduct, I would assume they have similar rules.
WestTexAg12
AG
wildmen09 said:

EX TEXASEX said:

I actually believe them but the "no need to come here" is extremely scripted. Hard to tell if they're being "persuaded" to say that line. Clearly against our Code of Conduct, I would assume they have similar rules.

My thoughts exactly. They don't abide by anything like our Code of Conduct.

I've seen this multiple times… does the filming of Russian captives go against that Geneva Convention?
TRM
AG
txags92
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

wildmen09 said:

EX TEXASEX said:

I've seen this multiple times… does the filming of Russian captives go against that Geneva Convention?
I believe it does, but would be open to be corrected if it doesn't.
RangerRick9211
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

Cargo Shorts FTW said:

Putin threatened our and NATO's satellites last week. I wonder if this really kicks off if that's a legit threat. Space Force anyone?

Lit up cities were a bigger issue when bomber pilots needed landmarks for navigation. GPS, GLONASS, and guided munitions don't care if the lights are on.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Talon2DSO said:

wildmen09 said:

JB!98 said:

Ulysses90 said:

JB!98 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

flakrat said:

txags92 said:

JobSecurity said:

This has been rumored all day but this is the biggest outlet to pick it up

Would be nice to see those new EU migs setup on the Belarus border and smoke those paratroopers out of the sky within a few minutes of entering UK airspace.
Or spread a bunch of stingers along the border!

Don't have the range. Stinger is a short range missile. They could potentially get them on ascent or descent, but not cruising altitude.
I think its important that everyone understands that the stinger is only good to about 10,000 ft and its slant range depends on the altitude of the target. Good against helo's and low flying aircraft. No impact to aircraft at an operating altitude. Now you can probably smack a IL-76 during their drop run, but with a 2lb warhead I think you might need more than one hit to bring one down.

From what altitude do paratroopers debark a aircraft using static lines? If the Ukrainians have some idea of the likely drop zones then they might very well be able to seed the area and likely approaches with stingers.

Perhaps a friendly AWACS flying over the Black Sea could send some info over Link 16 to a MiG 29 that would be able to easily intercept an IL-76.
I have no idea the altitude of a normal drop. Someone on here knows for sure.

Roughly 1200ft

Thats for training. In the ****, we would drop between 500 and 800 ft.

Hard to say accurately without knowing Belarusian doctrine.

Their acceptance of off DZ jumpers or less mass on DZ could drive a higher altitude.

We drop low to keep jumpers massed and lower the effect of wind.

We can drop below 500 in my world but typically drop from a little higher.
aggiehawg
AG
wildmen09 said:

EX TEXASEX said:

Agree. That is poor form.
TAMUallen
AG
aggiehawg said:

wildmen09 said:

EX TEXASEX said:

Unfortunately, there's a propaganda war that is just as important right now as anything. If Russian support for war on the Ukraine is as low as propaganda says then this is certainly the lesser of any evil
Irish 2.0
WestTexAg12 said:

wildmen09 said:

EX TEXASEX said:

****ing Russians just violated the Budapest Memorandum, Minsk Convention, and numerous other treaties/agreements. We're beyond observing the Geneva convention and any country adhering to them is ignorant. This is the way. You use everything available to your strategic advantage.

The countries that play by the rules get skull ****ed. There are no rules in warfare. The Russians literally just authorized nukes into Belarus and y'all are concerned about guidelines in an 80 year old agreement?!
GarryowenAg
AG
TAMUallen said:

Dilettante said:

How do we know Monday is a significant date?

The ruble crashes. Runs on Russian banks. It's when things start to crumble
Don't forget Monday is the first day of negotiations.
VaultingChemist
AG
TRM said:

Osint host just revealed that Ukraine aircraft are already in place (primarily in western Ukraine), and they are fueled up and fully armed. Difficult but not impossible to be directed by AWACS.
Rosstafari
txags92
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

wildmen09 said:

EX TEXASEX said:

****ing Russians just violated the Budapest Memorandum, Minsk Convention, and numerous other treaties/agreements. We're beyond observing the Geneva convention and any country adhering to them is ignorant. This is way. You use everything available to your strategic advantage.

The countries that play by the rules get skull ****ed. There are no rules in warfare. The Russians literally just authorized nukes into Belarus and y'all are concerned about guidelines in an 80 year old agreement?!
I wasn't complaining about. Yes, objectively I think it does violate GC, but I don't think the Russians have earned any such consideration with their actions.
aggiehawg
AG
TAMUallen said:

aggiehawg said:

wildmen09 said:

EX TEXASEX said:

Unfortunately, there's a propaganda war that is just as important right now as anything. If Russian support for war on the Ukraine is as low as propaganda says then this is certainly the lesser of any evil
I'm sorry. My mind just isn't in WW3 mind set yet. Hope I am correct.
RangerRick9211
AG
How does Russia station the rest of their forces?

Wiki says they have 1.2m. 200k are in or near Ukraine. They backstopping now that they've sent in 2/3 of the envision force?
RangerRick9211
AG
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/27/two-top-russian-billionaires-speak-out-against-invasion-of-ukraine?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Oligarchs moaning.
TAMUallen
AG
aggiehawg said:

TAMUallen said:

aggiehawg said:

wildmen09 said:

EX TEXASEX said:

I'm sorry. My mind just isn't in WW3 mind set yet. Hope I am correct.

Worse than WW3 is the use of nukes that's being dangled in front of us again. Cold War on repeat but in a more desperate manner that's even more unstable and unpredictable
First Page Last Page
Page 128 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.