***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,554,858 Views | 47734 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by 74OA
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GarryowenAg said:

OSINT Live Feed reporting on ground sources identified 3 columns of tanks moving toward Kyiv; estimated 500 tanks in total.

That's a lot of armor to keep fueled.

It's bold strategy Cotton, let's see how it works out for him.
nortex97
AG
lb3 said:

hunter2012 said:

IDaggie06 said:

JobSecurity said:

Help me out, what's this actually mean?
It means for those that have a signal from those terminals will not need wired internet to remain connected. Basically the Russians will not be able to cut of their communications by cutting lines. This assumes they will have the terminals setup.
Starlink must have a base station within view to downlink the data back to the internet. Best I can tell after a short review is that the nearest ground station is in Wola Krobowska, Poland. I'm not sure how much of Ukraine can be covered with that ground station.

Here is a picture of the Polish ground station:

Here is on in Turkey for comparison:

The starlink satellites have laser data links between each other in space. It's not about the satellite having a direct line of access to the ground station, but a (daisy chain) connection to the sats in near it that…then do.
Who?mikejones!
GarryowenAg said:

OSINT Live Feed reporting on ground sources identified 3 columns of tanks moving toward Kyiv; estimated 500 tanks in total.

Hope the Ukrainians have seen con air on how to clog up a Convoy
Rosstafari
jabberwalkie09 said:

GarryowenAg said:

Zero infantry support. They're going to get lit up by Uke mobile anti-armor.
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
So what happens with the oil depot? Can they put it out? Is fire rescue still available?? Especially with the heavy shellings?
BTHOtrolls
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

GarryowenAg said:

That's a lot of armor to keep fueled

What's a realistic range that a tank can travel on paved roads before it's out of fuel?

Edit: Based on a Google search, it looks like tanks have a range of 200 miles to 300 miles depending on the specific tank. Have to wonder if Russia had the fuel to top off 500 tanks in country before they started their journey. This could be some of the most powerful videos we've seen to come out of Ukraine, if tanks start running out of fuel in the capital.
Whirligigs
If the Soviets fail miserably - what a shift in geopolitics over night.
Sharpshooter
AG
Whirligigs said:

If the Soviets fail miserably - what a shift in geopolitics over night.
They still have nukes, however.
cone
AG
every hour the Ukrainians hold out makes it harder for China to attempt a Taiwan military maneuver
2wealfth Man
AG
Rosstafari said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

GarryowenAg said:

I would assume the UA was holding back on those Javelin's and NLAW's until a big armor push materialized. Game On!!!
akaggie05
AG
nortex97 said:

lb3 said:

hunter2012 said:

IDaggie06 said:

JobSecurity said:

It means for those that have a signal from those terminals will not need wired internet to remain connected. Basically the Russians will not be able to cut of their communications by cutting lines. This assumes they will have the terminals setup.
Starlink must have a base station within view to downlink the data back to the internet. Best I can tell after a short review is that the nearest ground station is in Wola Krobowska, Poland. I'm not sure how much of Ukraine can be covered with that ground station.

The starlink satellites have laser data links between each other in space. It's not about the satellite having a direct line of access to the ground station, but a (daisy chain) connection to the sats in near it that…then do.
The first batch of satellites with laser links only launched this last September. It'll be awhile before the majority of the constellation has the capability.
hunter2012
AG
GarryowenAg said:

Quantity has a quality all it's own. /Stalin

I was waiting for the Ruskies to lose patience and bum rush the capital. This could be the pivotal night for the Ukrainians. Hold that city.
Polaris75
Russia did not have a plan, Putin just said charge.
TAMUallen
AG
akaggie05 said:

nortex97 said:

lb3 said:

hunter2012 said:

IDaggie06 said:

JobSecurity said:

The first batch of satellites with laser links only launched this last September. It'll be awhile before the majority of the constellation has the capability.

If musk is sending starlink receivers there I'm willing to bet it will work or else that's a pointless thing to do. Any bandwidth will be better than no bandwidth especially as we've seen propaganda and information flow has been key to the Ukraine
lobopride
How could tanks not get queued behind the tanks in front if the one in front is blown up? I was in the navy not army so I'm curious how that would work seems like sitting ducks in an urban environment. In the country each tank could make its own path.
i is smart
AG
Looks like the Ukrainians have been gifted a lot of stinger missiles.
akaggie05
AG
TAMUallen said:

akaggie05 said:

nortex97 said:

lb3 said:

hunter2012 said:

IDaggie06 said:

JobSecurity said:

If musk is sending starlink receivers there I'm willing to bet it will work or else that's a pointless thing to do. Any bandwidth will be better than no bandwidth especially as we've seen propaganda and information flow has been key to the Ukraine
Don't get me wrong, I think it will work (especially with a ground station apparently being right next door in Poland)
Drillbit4
AG
Thanks for all the updates and postings everyone. This has been my go-to thread to keep up to speed on everything.
GarryowenAg
AG
Rosstafari said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

GarryowenAg said:

Unless there's mech infantry mixed within the columns.
Rosstafari
Polaris75 said:

Russia did not have a plan, Putin just said charge.

They had a plan. It was just a rigid plan they've refused to deviate from that was predicated on poor intel, unrealistic assumptions, and insufficient logistical support. That could be argued to be worse than no plan.
Dorm 15
AG
Quote:

I'll wager that the 500 figure is all vehicles including troop carriers.
Talon2DSO
AG
Does Putin seem different this time around? Like a bit more nutty? If he's backed into a corner will he consider a YOLO move?
wbt5845
AG
Keep in mind we only get partial info from Twitter. We don't know the Russian plan of battle.
jabberwalkie09
AG
BTHOtrolls said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

GarryowenAg said:

What's a realistic range that a tank can travel on paved roads before it's out of fuel?

I don't know off the top of my head but it depends on the tank and if it has the external tanks. Wikipedia should have some info. It's going to be different without knowing what type of tanks these are reported to be. Iirc every tank that was in Belgorod and moved to Kharkiv had external tanks fitted, so I would assume these units will be no different. I think what we have seen has been T-72's and T-80's. I haven't seen reports, pictures, or videos of T-90's anywhere.
i is smart
AG
I Like Mike
AG

Not a Bot
AG
Yep. Ammo trucks, possibly fuel, armored riflemen, etc.
GarryowenAg
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

BTHOtrolls said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

GarryowenAg said:

I don't know off the top of my head but it depends on the tank and if it has the external tanks. Wikipedia should have some info. It's going to be different without knowing what type of tanks these are reported to be. Iirc every tank that was in Belgorod and moved to Kharkiv had external tanks fitted, so I would assume these units will be no different. I think what we have seen has been T-72's and T-80's. I haven't seen reports, pictures, or videos of T-90's anywhere.
OSINT folks said 72's were mostly in the columns. Wiki said their range is approx 300mi (double it with external tanks). Our typical resupply pushed fuel twice a day to armored units. I can't imagine them being able to run more than 12-24 if constantly running.
EKUAg
AG
Dorm 15 said:

Quote:

I'll wager that the 500 figure is all vehicles including troop carriers.

The BMPs carry infantry.
jabberwalkie09
AG
GarryowenAg said:

Rosstafari said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

GarryowenAg said:

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the case. A mixture of tank, BMP/BTR, and some variant of artillery is what I was thinking. Straight armor seems like an exercise in futility.
EastSideAg2002
Maybe add a toll both?

2wealfth Man
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

GarryowenAg said:

Rosstafari said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

GarryowenAg said:

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the case. A mixture of tank, BMP/BTR, and some variant of artillery is what I was thinking. Straight armor seems like an exercise in futility.
tanks go boom boom
I Like Mike
AG
Hit the BMPs and isolate the armor = winning
i is smart
AG
Read through the whole Twitter thread.

n_touch
GarryowenAg said:

Would be nice if could gift them a few A-10's to meet those tank columns
First Page Last Page
Page 88 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.