***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,558,032 Views | 47738 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by AtticusMatlock
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love Gun said:

I'm surprised we're not seeing tons of videos of AAA spraying the sky. You know they have them. Curious if they're absent, destroyed, or being saved to use against ground targets.

If you fire up a radar to shoot your SAM, you just became a target. Perhaps they are being judicious in their use.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Rossticus said:

erudite said:

Rossticus said:

2 AN-124s on the way but still on north side of Belarus. Bringing a lot of something.
Not VDV since that is a "Air Transport Division" only aircraft. My guess would be large AA since planes/helicopters would just fly.

Or armor if they've lost enough to javelins.

I think that they would use the rail system to Belgorod if for that. Especially since Kharkiv is still held by the Ukrainians. I'm leaning towards artillery or rocket munitions to be used for Kyiv.
TRM
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

I'll take 3 of the 4 - all involving the Ukrainian SAM.

I think lots of twitter are thinking it's all one explosion, but there's been like 3 different explosions.
hbtheduce
AG
GAC06 said:

Faustus said:

Eliminatus said:

Agthatbuilds said:

As crass as it may seem, the defenders of Snake Island are the blueprint for martyrdom that Ukrainians can use to rally around.

Last stands are the stuff of legends. (No matter the circumstances really. I imagine they were all killed by standoff fire)

That's a much lower body count than I expected from the strikes, bombardment, and invasion on multiple fronts.

I assume Russia is trying to do this like Israel when it attacks militants in Gaza, and minimize the body count (and collateral damage) lest it be used against the stronger force.

The snake island attack seems like a mistake on that front.

You believe those numbers? Come on man.

Ukraine is going to pump out propaganda too. We can want them to win but keep that in your mind as your read reports.
Rossticus
jabberwalkie09 said:

Rossticus said:

erudite said:

Rossticus said:

2 AN-124s on the way but still on north side of Belarus. Bringing a lot of something.
Not VDV since that is a "Air Transport Division" only aircraft. My guess would be large AA since planes/helicopters would just fly.

I think that they would use the rail system to Belgorod if for that. Especially since Kharkiv is still held by the Ukrainians. I'm leaning towards artillery or rocket munitions to be used for Kyiv.

Makes sense.
Rapier108
GAC06 said:

Rapier108 said:

erudite said:

rathAG05 said:

erudite said:

Rossticus said:

erudite said:

Rapier108 said:

JB!98 said:

Rapier108 said:

erudite said:

KYcatTXaggie said:

If that was a Bomber why is it flying so low? Transport doesn't make a lot of sense either.
Maybe SU-24 on some sort of attack run/SEAD operation?
Or SU-34. Would be nice to have knocked down one of those. It is one of Russia's newer toys. The SU-24 is late 60s vintage.
That looks like a lot more fuel and debris than a fencer or a fullback.
Oh I agree. That's why I said earlier I think it was a TU-22M, if it was a bomber.
No bombs would be the best argument against, unless it was a recon TU-22M. The Russians lost one in Georgia by a Buk in 2008.

Speculation that the munitions could have incinerated on the way down.
Shouldn't that cause secondary explosions?
Regardless of what that was, I think Putin will not be happy. He either just lost an expensive missile headed toward a critical target, a strategic bomber, or some sort of transport aircraft airdropping into Kiyv. None of which are good.

I mean, I'm sure he doesn't want to lose a single plane, but would assume it's just the cost of war and he'll brush it off and press ahead.
Russia can replace helocopters and single seat fighters. But a strategic bomber? Not so much. They haven't gotten a replacement for the Tu-22M or Tu-160s and the former is almost 50 years old.
The Tupolev PAK DA (it will get an official designation once in service) should be making its first appearance in the next 2 years. It will be their answer to the B-21 Raider.

Lol. Yeah like the PAK FA is the answer to the F-22?
Not saying it will be as good, but for Ivan, it is to counter the F-22 and the DA is to be the counterpart to the B-21. They also have another aircraft in development as the answer to the F-35, but I forget what its called right now.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
You're replying to a poster who thought the truckers in Canada were a false flag fyi and there were no protests. He/she they struggle with interpretation of data, so be gentle
Sully Dog
Eliminatus said:

Agthatbuilds said:

As crass as it may seem, the defenders of Snake Island are the blueprint for martyrdom that Ukrainians can use to rally around.

Last stands are the stuff of legends. (No matter the circumstances really. I imagine they were all killed by standoff fire)
TBH, this is the exact reason I wouldn't be surprised if the Snake Island thing never happened. Zelensky knows his only shot at winning this is if he can rally the populace to fight.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Ernest Tucker
AG
Eliminatus said:

Jay Reimenschneider said:

If Russia can hit our grid so easily, why does Ukraine still have power?
My biggest head scratcher of all. It's textbook to secure or knockout the vital infrastructure of a city when fighting. The sooner the better.

It's why I have been questioning the goals of this invasion from the get go and have stated as such already. It's awful and people are dying but ultimately this seems like a lighthearted attempt to take over small sections piecemeal. The russians are not committing the units and tactics I would have suspected.

I can see the Russians playing this as safe as possible perhaps which would account for some of this and actually leads credence to what Putin has been saying all along. That this is a military operation and not an invasion.

ETA:To clarify, yes this is an invasion but not a REAL invasion it seems like is what I am getting at. Russia is hamstrung somehow and I do not know the reasons why. Self inflicted? Uke resistance really that effective? Trying to stay good in PR image? Not rebuild a shattered country?

I'm so confused.

(Oops, replied instead of amend)

In todays geopolitical one world order, who the hell knows. All of this could have been agreed to years ahead and all theatre outside of rouge uninformed elements getting scores.

The whole thing is weird. The sanctions are weird, Putin not going all in is weird. I watch some of this and think "that's mighty Russia??" Now "shock and awe" was a real superpower going after something. This world just hasn't seemed real since Covid. Maybe even Obama even.

I believe Trump was not supposed to happen and everything kind of paused when he was elected. They regrouped, released the virus and stole the election. The show can now continue. There.. I said it
erudite
Rossticus said:

erudite said:

Rossticus said:

Or armor if they've lost enough to javelins?
Would be easier to just drive them in via Chernobyl. I suspect it may be artillery/AA or something that can''t move as easily across roads that haven't been maintained for 30 years.

As for the plane shootdown. There's another possibility. Friendly fire on Ukrainian jet.
Eliminatus
AG
Faustus said:

Eliminatus said:

Agthatbuilds said:

That's a much lower body count than I expected from the strikes, bombardment, and invasion on multiple fronts.

I assume Russia is trying to do this like Israel when it attacks militants in Gaza, and minimize the body count (and collateral damage) lest it be used against the stronger force.

It does seem lower than I expected as well. But that is relative too I guess. When adjusted to our standing military members it would equate to somewhere around 500 dead in a single day. That's a pretty big deal.
AgsMyDude
AG
What's the osint stream?
74OA
AG
Ukraine counterattacks and takes yet another airport back from the Russians.

Scroll down to the update at the bottom of the article.

Hard Fighting
Love Gun
CanyonAg77 said:

Love Gun said:

I'm surprised we're not seeing tons of videos of AAA spraying the sky. You know they have them. Curious if they're absent, destroyed, or being saved to use against ground targets.

If you fire up a radar to shoot your SAM, you just became a target. Perhaps they are being judicious in their use.

Two different things. While some have fire control radars, I'm talking about guns. 14.5mm and bigger. Those ZPU's and ZU-23's. Ack Ack, if you will
**** Joe Biden
erudite
jabberwalkie09 said:

Rossticus said:

erudite said:

Rossticus said:

Fog of war is annoying ain't it. I think maybe heavier AA systems might be a possibility too. A SAM battery based in Chernobyl could seriously threaten Ukrainian Air superiority in their capital.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Faustus
GAC06 said:

Faustus said:

Eliminatus said:

Agthatbuilds said:

You believe those numbers? Come on man.

I wouldn't have thought so. Also just to be clear Ukraine and Israel are the good guys, regardless of the roles being flipped in the comparison.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/russia-attacks-ukraine-drawing-broad-condemnation-11645682406

Quote:

. . . Mr. Zelensky said Ukraine had sustained 137 dead and 316 injured on Thursday. He said Russia wasn't only striking military targets but also civilian sites. . . .

If nothing else I'd have expected the civilian casualties to have been inflated to generate support. Just surprised so far. It could all turn on its head tomorrow.
10thYrSr
Eliminatus said:

My biggest head scratcher of all. It's textbook to secure or knockout the vital infrastructure of a city when fighting. The sooner the better.

It's why I have been questioning the goals of this invasion from the get go and have stated as such already. It's awful and people are dying but ultimately this seems like a lighthearted attempt to take over small sections piecemeal. The russians are not committing the units and tactics I would have suspected.

I can see the Russians playing this as safe as possible perhaps which would account for some of this and actually leads credence to what Putin has been saying all along. That this is a military operation and not an invasion. To clarify, yes this is an invasion but not a REAL invasion it seems like is what I am getting at. Russia is hamstrung somehow and I do not know the reasons why. Self inflicted? Uke resistance really that effective? Trying to stay good in PR image? Not rebuild a shattered country?

I'm so confused.

Exactly,! Russia is hamstrung because they are WEAK. They have nukes but can't use them. They have soldiers that are much like our soldiers: connected to the internet. They are using their soldiers to fight against people that are too similar to them. The will of a soldier, when fighting what may be their brothers is greatly diminished.
javajaws
AG
Regarding electricity, I'm guessing two things why they still have some:

1) Russia doesn't want a humanitarian crises on their hand after the Ukraine government falls

and

2) The Ukraine government/military is probably so compromised leaving everybody's electronics on probably gets the Russians MORE intelligence than if the electricity was off.

It's not like they need the electricity for defense or anything.
10thYrSr
10thYrSr said:

Eliminatus said:

I can see the Russians playing this as safe as possible perhaps which would account for some of this and actually leads credence to what Putin has been saying all along. That this is a military operation and not an invasion. To clarify, yes this is an invasion but not a REAL invasion it seems like is what I am getting at. Russia is hamstrung somehow and I do not know the reasons why. Self inflicted? Uke resistance really that effective? Trying to stay good in PR image? Not rebuild a shattered country?

I'm so confused.

Exactly,! Russia is hamstrung because they are WEAK. They have nukes but can't use them. They have soldiers that are much like our soldiers: connected to the internet. They are using their soldiers to fight against people that are too similar to them. The will of a soldier, when fighting what may be their brothers is greatly diminished.
SPSAg05
AG

TRM
AG
AgsMyDude said:

What's the osint stream?
https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1PlJQakrDjYJE?s=20
GAC06
AG
Rapier108 said:

GAC06 said:

Rapier108 said:

erudite said:

rathAG05 said:

erudite said:

Rossticus said:

erudite said:

Rapier108 said:

JB!98 said:

Rapier108 said:

erudite said:

KYcatTXaggie said:

If that was a Bomber why is it flying so low? Transport doesn't make a lot of sense either.
Maybe SU-24 on some sort of attack run/SEAD operation?
Or SU-34. Would be nice to have knocked down one of those. It is one of Russia's newer toys. The SU-24 is late 60s vintage.
That looks like a lot more fuel and debris than a fencer or a fullback.
Oh I agree. That's why I said earlier I think it was a TU-22M, if it was a bomber.
No bombs would be the best argument against, unless it was a recon TU-22M. The Russians lost one in Georgia by a Buk in 2008.

Speculation that the munitions could have incinerated on the way down.
Shouldn't that cause secondary explosions?
Regardless of what that was, I think Putin will not be happy. He either just lost an expensive missile headed toward a critical target, a strategic bomber, or some sort of transport aircraft airdropping into Kiyv. None of which are good.

I mean, I'm sure he doesn't want to lose a single plane, but would assume it's just the cost of war and he'll brush it off and press ahead.
Russia can replace helocopters and single seat fighters. But a strategic bomber? Not so much. They haven't gotten a replacement for the Tu-22M or Tu-160s and the former is almost 50 years old.
The Tupolev PAK DA (it will get an official designation once in service) should be making its first appearance in the next 2 years. It will be their answer to the B-21 Raider.

Lol. Yeah like the PAK FA is the answer to the F-22?
Not saying it will be as good, but for Ivan, it is to counter the F-22 and the DA is to be the counterpart to the B-21. They also have another aircraft in development as the answer to the F-35, but I forget what its called right now.

Ok.

But Russian aerospace is clinging to relevance. There's a reason why their forces are all 70's designs still in low rate production. And even in the 70's they were behind us.
jabberwalkie09
AG
javajaws said:

1) Russia doesn't want a humanitarian crises on their hand after the Ukraine government falls

and

2) The Ukraine government/military is probably so compromised leaving everybody's electronics on probably gets the Russians MORE intelligence than if the electricity was off.

Russians can triangulate position based on cell signals from what I understand. Having soldiers with phones charged, on, and location positioning on could potentially help Russian units with this capability to locate Ukrainian positions.
redline248
AG
Do we trust that Anonymous is actually doing anything?
10thYrSr
SPSAg05 said:

Anonymous hasn't done anything. Can you list the top 5 things anonymous has done besides get in the news? 4-chan hackers I'd be more onboard with.
GAC06
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

javajaws said:

and

Russians can triangulate position based on cell signals from what I understand. Having soldiers with phones charged, on, and location positioning on could potentially help Russian units with this capability to locate Ukrainian positions.

Russians should concentrate on turning their own soldiers phones off
SPSAg05
AG
redline248 said:

I guess I trust that, if Anonymous can do anything, it's going to do it against Russia right now.
BCO07
AG
Kremlin website appears to be just fine
Eliminatus
AG
redline248 said:

Go to the Kremlin website and find out?

There are on interesting group. I went on a Deep dive on them a few years ago. They are one of those orgs that say they have a lot of power but actually don't, yet somehow do. It's weird and they ebb and flow over time.

That being said, you can never underestimate the collective efforts of a bunch of neck beards riled up and armed with keyboards. And I mean that quite seriously.
AgsMyDude
AG
Thank you
aeroag14
AG
Ukes have confiscated multiple homing beacons, supposedly planted by russian saboteurs in Kiev
10thYrSr
10thYrSr said:

SPSAg05 said:

Anonymous hasn't done anything. Can you list the top 5 things anonymous has done besides get in the news? 4-chan hackers I'd be more onboard with. Anonymous is a deep state organization that threatens actions based on a successful hack many years. Ago. They aren't anything now, but you wouldn't know that because the news hasn't told you so.
jabberwalkie09
AG
GAC06 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

javajaws said:

and

Russians should concentrate on turning their own soldiers phones off

Shhhhh don't tell them that it works both ways!!!!
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.