***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,549,281 Views | 47729 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by 74OA
Who?mikejones!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://instagr.am/p/CaYoGSGspPA

New follow
rathAG05
AG
Jayhawk said:

crowman2010 said:

Jayhawk said:

Agthatbuilds said:

That last bullet is critical. The Ukrainian Army has turned in an historic and heroic performance on day 1, and shown their countrymen that effective resistance is possible.

...but yet futile
It's not futile. Even if they lose the conventional fight, heroic resistance begets martyrs which fortifies the national identity. The Irish lost a lot of battles and wars but the memory of their heros persisted until they won independence.

The Russians have got a bloody nose and have been humiliated on day 1. Elite VkV being run off the Antonov Design Bureau field fleeing into the forest was not in the based chessmaster's master plan.

What makes you think Russia has a bloody nose? Honestly curious. I'm not getting the same sense.
redline248
AG
Member of Ukraine parliament on fox says it was Russian aircraft shot down by Ukr aircraft.

So who the f knows
aginlakeway
AG
Jayhawk said:

crowman2010 said:

Jayhawk said:

Agthatbuilds said:

That last bullet is critical. The Ukrainian Army has turned in an historic and heroic performance on day 1, and shown their countrymen that effective resistance is possible.

...but yet futile
It's not futile. Even if they lose the conventional fight, heroic resistance begets martyrs which fortifies the national identity. The Irish lost a lot of battles and wars but the memory of their heros persisted until they won independence.

The Russians have got a bloody nose and have been humiliated on day 1. Elite VkV being run off the Antonov Design Bureau field fleeing into the forest was not in the based chessmaster's master plan.

What are you basing this on?
JB!98
AG
JobSecurity said:

I still don't buy that. If you look up some of the B-52 kills that were recorded over N Vietnam it looks very similar. Lots of fuel burning off and an aerodynamic spin to the main wreak. I don't think a cruise missile burns like that.

On another note, why did we not at least provide them with CRAM or other tech that would be effective against cruise missiles and other air threats?
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
erudite
Rapier108 said:

And why would there be a Russian SAM inside Kiev?
I mean... MANPADS from the VDV? I doubt it since the lockon window of a supersonic aircraft is so fast you need to have it fly directly over.

Maybe it was a AA missle from Chernobyl/Belarus?
TommyBrady
AG
They have a pretty large range
Rossticus
aeroag14 said:

New World Ag said:

CNN reporter in Kiev saying Ukraine reporting it was a Ukraine SU-27 shot down by Russian forces
there were multiple things shot down. Couple smaller objects. Either cruise missiles or fighters. And one larger plane. A multi jet larger (bomberesque) plane.

And there's no Russian anti-aircraft battery outside of Kyiv.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
Yeah. I'm thinking people are reading the "good" stories but not considering the others
crowman2010
AG
rathAG05 said:

Jayhawk said:

crowman2010 said:

Jayhawk said:

Agthatbuilds said:

...but yet futile

What makes you think Russia has a bloody nose? Honestly curious. I'm not getting the same sense.

This. Russia could go full blown and nothing could stop them except outside forces.
aeroag14
AG
Rossticus said:

aeroag14 said:

New World Ag said:

CNN reporter in Kiev saying Ukraine reporting it was a Ukraine SU-27 shot down by Russian forces
there were multiple things shot down. Couple smaller objects. Either cruise missiles or fighters. And one larger plane. A multi jet larger (bomberesque) plane.

And there's no Russian anti-aircraft battery outside of Kyiv.
RIght that is the confusing part. I dont buy that a Uke fighter was shot down.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
If Russia can hit our grid so easily, why does Ukraine still have power?
rathAG05
AG
erudite said:

Rossticus said:

erudite said:

Rapier108 said:

JB!98 said:

Rapier108 said:

erudite said:

KYcatTXaggie said:

If that was a Bomber why is it flying so low? Transport doesn't make a lot of sense either.
Maybe SU-24 on some sort of attack run/SEAD operation?
Or SU-34. Would be nice to have knocked down one of those. It is one of Russia's newer toys. The SU-24 is late 60s vintage.
That looks like a lot more fuel and debris than a fencer or a fullback.
Oh I agree. That's why I said earlier I think it was a TU-22M, if it was a bomber.
No bombs would be the best argument against, unless it was a recon TU-22M. The Russians lost one in Georgia by a Buk in 2008.

Speculation that the munitions could have incinerated on the way down.
Shouldn't that cause secondary explosions?
Regardless of what that was, I think Putin will not be happy. He either just lost an expensive missile headed toward a critical target, a strategic bomber, or some sort of transport aircraft airdropping into Kiyv. None of which are good.

I mean, I'm sure he doesn't want to lose a single plane, but would assume it's just the cost of war and he'll brush it off and press ahead.
Jayhawk
rathAG05 said:

Jayhawk said:

crowman2010 said:

Jayhawk said:

Agthatbuilds said:

...but yet futile

They have not achieved their Day 1 objectives. Their airborne assault on the Hostomel airfield ended in a fiasco after a Ukrainian Army counterattack drove off the VkV unit before Russian reinforcements arrived. Not too mention what appear to be several instances of platoon size Russian units surrendering .

Overall the weight of numbers is what it is, but this is not going to plan I think that is obvious to people who have a background in these sorts of things.
erudite
JB!98 said:

JobSecurity said:

I still don't buy that. If you look up some of the B-52 kills that were recorded over N Vietnam it looks very similar. Lots of fuel burning off and an aerodynamic spin to the main wreak. I don't think a cruise missile burns like that.

On another note, why did we not at least provide them with CRAM or other tech that would be effective against cruise missiles and other air threats?
My guess would be training and logistics? CIWS also requires radar lock on... Which the solution is to fling a cheap missile in front of the engagement envelope and an anti-radiation missile behind to blow up the transmitter.
Who?mikejones!
Agthatbuilds said:

https://instagr.am/p/CaYoGSGspPA

New follow

Seriously, read the stories on this account
Rossticus
2 AN-124s on the way but still on north side of Belarus. Bringing a lot of something.
hbtheduce
AG
Jay Reimenschneider said:

A comfortable distracted populace is less likely to fight you door to door?
rathAG05
AG
Jayhawk said:

rathAG05 said:

Jayhawk said:

crowman2010 said:

Jayhawk said:

Agthatbuilds said:

...but yet futile

They have not achieved their Day 1 objectives. Their airborne assault on the Hostomel airfield ended in a fiasco after a Ukrainian Army counterattack drove off the VkV unit before Russian reinforcements arrived. Not too mention what appear to be several instances of platoon size Russian units surrendering .

Overall the weight of numbers is what it is, but this is not going to plan I think that is obvious to people who have a background in these sorts of things.

Just seems like you would see video of that everywhere. I've only heard that from you. Where are you seeing this?
The Kraken
AG

Because they don't want to have to repair it afterwards?
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Eliminatus
AG

My biggest head scratcher of all. It's textbook to secure or knockout the vital infrastructure of a city when fighting. The sooner the better.

It's why I have been questioning the goals of this invasion from the get go and have stated as such already. It's awful and people are dying but ultimately this seems like a lighthearted attempt to take over small sections piecemeal. The russians are not committing the units and tactics I would have suspected.

I can see the Russians playing this as safe as possible perhaps which would account for some of this and actually leads credence to what Putin has been saying all along. That this is a military operation and not an invasion. To clarify, yes this is an invasion but not a REAL invasion it seems like is what I am getting at. Russia is hamstrung somehow and I do not know the reasons why. Self inflicted? Uke resistance really that effective? Trying to stay good in PR image? Not rebuild a shattered country?

I'm so confused.
erudite
rathAG05 said:

erudite said:

Rossticus said:

erudite said:

Rapier108 said:

JB!98 said:

Rapier108 said:

erudite said:

KYcatTXaggie said:

If that was a Bomber why is it flying so low? Transport doesn't make a lot of sense either.
Or SU-34. Would be nice to have knocked down one of those. It is one of Russia's newer toys. The SU-24 is late 60s vintage.
Oh I agree. That's why I said earlier I think it was a TU-22M, if it was a bomber.
No bombs would be the best argument against, unless it was a recon TU-22M. The Russians lost one in Georgia by a Buk in 2008.

Regardless of what that was, I think Putin will not be happy. He either just lost an expensive missile headed toward a critical target, a strategic bomber, or some sort of transport aircraft airdropping into Kiyv. None of which are good.

I mean, I'm sure he doesn't want to lose a single plane, but would assume it's just the cost of war and he'll brush it off and press ahead.
Russia can replace helocopters and single seat fighters. But a strategic bomber? Not so much. They haven't gotten a replacement for the Tu-22M or Tu-160s and the former is almost 50 years old.
Jayhawk
rathAG05 said:

Jayhawk said:

rathAG05 said:

Jayhawk said:

crowman2010 said:

Jayhawk said:

Agthatbuilds said:

...but yet futile

Just seems like you would see video of that everywhere. I've only heard that from you. Where are you seeing this?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10549353/Ukraine-RETAKEN-Kyiv-airport-Russian-special-forces-claims-defense-minister.html
Rapier108
erudite said:

rathAG05 said:

erudite said:

Rossticus said:

erudite said:

Rapier108 said:

JB!98 said:

Rapier108 said:

erudite said:

KYcatTXaggie said:

Russia can replace helocopters and single seat fighters. But a strategic bomber? Not so much. They haven't gotten a replacement for the Tu-22M or Tu-160s and the former is almost 50 years old.
The Tupolev PAK DA (it will get an official designation once in service) should be making its first appearance in the next 2 years. It will be their answer to the B-21 Raider.
Rossticus
$250k to blow up three guys and a goat. I'm rolling. Lol.
Jack Ruby
I think it is safe to say we really don't have much of an idea of what's truly going on over there.
erudite
Rossticus said:

2 AN-124s on the way but still on north side of Belarus. Bringing a lot of something.
Not VDV since that is a "Air Transport Division" only aircraft. My guess would be large AA since planes/helicopters would just fly.
ABATTBQ11
AG
erudite said:

Rossticus said:

erudite said:

Rapier108 said:

JB!98 said:

Rapier108 said:

erudite said:

KYcatTXaggie said:

No. Bombs are typically high explosives that need to be set off by low explosives. For instance, C4 actually just burns of light it on fire because it's a high explosive. Med a blasting cap and low explosive to set it off.

That used to not be the case, like with the Forrestal. Bombs cooked off in the deck fire because of their composition and the fact that were basically expired. With newer munitions, they'd have just fizzled.
Eliminatus
AG

My biggest head scratcher of all. It's textbook to secure or knockout the vital infrastructure of a city when fighting. The sooner the better.

It's why I have been questioning the goals of this invasion from the get go and have stated as such already. It's awful and people are dying but ultimately this seems like a lighthearted attempt to take over small sections piecemeal. The russians are not committing the units and tactics I would have suspected.

I can see the Russians playing this as safe as possible perhaps which would account for some of this and actually leads credence to what Putin has been saying all along. That this is a military operation and not an invasion.

ETA:To clarify, yes this is an invasion but not a REAL invasion it seems like is what I am getting at. Russia is hamstrung somehow and I do not know the reasons why. Self inflicted? Uke resistance really that effective? Trying to stay good in PR image? Not rebuild a shattered country?

I'm so confused.

(Oops, replied instead of amend)
jabberwalkie09
AG
Rossticus
erudite said:

Rossticus said:

Not VDV since that is a "Air Transport Division" only aircraft. My guess would be large AA since planes/helicopters would just fly.

Or armor if they've lost enough to javelins?
GAC06
AG
Rapier108 said:

erudite said:

rathAG05 said:

erudite said:

Rossticus said:

erudite said:

Rapier108 said:

JB!98 said:

Rapier108 said:

erudite said:

KYcatTXaggie said:

The Tupolev PAK DA (it will get an official designation once in service) should be making its first appearance in the next 2 years. It will be their answer to the B-21 Raider.

Lol. Yeah like the PAK FA is the answer to the F-22?
Faustus
Eliminatus said:

Agthatbuilds said:

As crass as it may seem, the defenders of Snake Island are the blueprint for martyrdom that Ukrainians can use to rally around.

Last stands are the stuff of legends. (No matter the circumstances really. I imagine they were all killed by standoff fire)

That's a much lower body count than I expected from the strikes, bombardment, and invasion on multiple fronts.

I assume Russia is trying to do this like Israel when it attacks militants in Gaza, and minimize the body count (and collateral damage) lest it be used against the stronger force.

The snake island attack seems like a mistake on that front.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Could just be poor execution. Or maybe they intend to annex Ukraine and want to minimize cleanup costs.
GAC06
AG
Faustus said:

Eliminatus said:

Agthatbuilds said:

As crass as it may seem, the defenders of Snake Island are the blueprint for martyrdom that Ukrainians can use to rally around.

Last stands are the stuff of legends. (No matter the circumstances really. I imagine they were all killed by standoff fire)

That's a much lower body count than I expected from the strikes, bombardment, and invasion on multiple fronts.

I assume Russia is trying to do this like Israel when it attacks militants in Gaza, and minimize the body count (and collateral damage) lest it be used against the stronger force.

The snake island attack seems like a mistake on that front.

You believe those numbers? Come on man.
First Page Last Page
Page 34 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.