***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,536,799 Views | 47716 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by 74OA
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
the idea that Biden would actually take preemptive cyber action against Putin is laughable

he will recycle the same speech he has been reading from his staff the last three weeks.

"we are putting in place the most onerous sanctions in the history of the world!"

meanwhile, Russia takes Kyiv in another 2 days.
Irish 2.0
Cowards won't do what needs to be done..All talk
LMCane
hbtheduce said:

LMCane said:

JobSecurity said:

so in a country of 44 million-

there aren't 1000 troops available to move 15 minutes from the Capitol?!?!

is Biden's Customs and Border Patrol defending Kyiv?

Or are we watching a pre-determined script of actions with parts of Ukraine military command defection or refusing to fight?
most of the Ukraine military is definitely refusing to fight

you can't run hundreds of tanks and APCs across THE ONE BRIDGE linking Crimea with Ukraine and actually have a real army that is fighting.

for lord's sake- that bridge has been staring the Ukes in the face for years! notice how they can't block a single highway or airfield

but the truckers in the USA and Canada can block entire cities?
Sharpshooter
AG
Dirk Diggler said:

https://irp.fas.org/world/russia/tradoc-refguide.pdf

If anyone wants a quick reference guide so you can ID all the Russian vehicles cruising into and around Ukraine instead of just calling everything a tank.
Tank you.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TommyBrady said:

I just hate seeing more deaths that will most likely not change the outcome. Who knows we will see what happens

I understand this and am sympathetic to hating seeing what's essentially indiscriminately occurring now. Unfortunately, Putin chose the route to continue diplomacy by the barrel of a gun. There's really only negatives for everyone involved from here in out. It sucks, but that's where we are at.
GAC06
AG
LMCane said:

hbtheduce said:

LMCane said:

JobSecurity said:

Or are we watching a pre-determined script of actions with parts of Ukraine military command defection or refusing to fight?

you can't run hundreds of tanks and APCs across THE ONE BRIDGE linking Crimea with Ukraine and actually have a real army that is fighting.

for lord's sake- that bridge has been staring the Ukes in the face for years! notice how they can't block a single highway or airfield

Sees tweets

Makes sweeping definitive statements
jabberwalkie09
AG
GAC06 said:

LMCane said:

hbtheduce said:

LMCane said:

JobSecurity said:

Sees tweets

It's looking like my response to LMC's comments earlier in the thread were just blazed right on past.

LMC- are you really expecting WW1/2 type ground defense of objectives in a conflict which isn't peer or near peer?
74OA
AG
More rolling coverage: BBC
LMCane
GAC06 said:

LMCane said:

hbtheduce said:

LMCane said:

JobSecurity said:

Sees tweets

so when Kyiv falls in two days

which of us is going to be proven more correct in our analysis?
74OA
AG
It's becoming clear that Putin is aiming to decapitate Ukraine's government in hopes of a quick capitulation. I doubt they go down easy. KIEV
Phat32
AG
74OA said:

It's becoming clear that Putin is aiming to decapitate Ukraine's government in hopes of a quick capitulation. I doubt they go down easy. KIEV
Wouldn't you? That would be my objective 1.
GAC06
AG
LMCane said:

GAC06 said:

LMCane said:

hbtheduce said:

LMCane said:

JobSecurity said:

Sees tweets

so when Kyiv falls in two days

which of us is going to be proven more correct in our analysis?

Neither of us know much of what's happening. The difference is I'm not claiming to know.
LMCane
jabberwalkie09 said:

GAC06 said:

LMCane said:

hbtheduce said:

LMCane said:

JobSecurity said:

Sees tweets

It's looking like my response to LMC's comments earlier in the thread were just blazed right on past.

LMC- are you really expecting WW1/2 type ground defense of objectives in a conflict which isn't peer or near peer?

was Iraq versus the USA "peer on peer"?

how long did it take the USA to conquer Baghdad in 1991? and in 2003?

was North Vietnam "peer on peer" against the USA from 1965-1973?

was Israel "peer to peer" against 6 Arab countries and their British trained armies in 1948? (when they had a total population of 640,000 citizens against 73 million)

not sure what your point is- but there are ways to at least SLOW DOWN an invading armored column.

if Taliban, Al Qaeda, ISIS, and Iraqi insurgents could figure it out - but somehow a modern country of 44 million can't figure it out?
BlueSmoke
GAC06 said:

Neither of us know much of what's happening. The difference is I'm not claiming to know.
Story of my life
Nobody cares. Work Harder
BlueSmoke
LMCane said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

GAC06 said:

LMCane said:

hbtheduce said:

LMCane said:

JobSecurity said:

Sees tweets

was Israel "peer to peer" against 6 Arab countries and their British trained armies in 1948? (when they had a total population of 640,000 citizens against 73 million)

not sure what your point is- but there are ways to at least SLOW DOWN an invading armored column.

if Taliban, Al Qaeda, ISIS, and Iraqi insurgents could figure it out - but somehow a modern country of 44 million can't figure it out?
Are they worried about reprisals on cities, etc? Factoring that you let them in, them "solve" via diplomatic measures?
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Line Ate Member
AG
This is what is wrong with news versus strategy: why the hell are you announcing that you are looking at cyber attacks? Just do it and then say if it was successful or not later (or don't say anything if it wasn't successful)
GAC06
AG
I suppose they think the threat may deter Russia but of course they're already fully committed so I agree it's dumb to announce. The other reason is posturing and saving face politically by sounding tough. Which is also dumb.
Carlo4
AG
Good speech by President Biden so far.
Houston Lee
AG
Carlo4 said:

Get ready for Russian cyber attacks in retaliation.

Whatever that means...
qunique_2004
AG
Carlo4 said:

blackgoldag11
AG
Gas prices are O&G companies fault, this guy never lets a crisis go to waste to blame others. What a loser
agsalaska
74OA
AG
Recap of Ukraine vs Russia armed forces. Obviously, Kiev is all-in, while Moscow is using only a fraction of its total force.

Comparison
Missiles
blackgoldag11
AG
Carlo4 said:

this didn't turn out well for you, terrible speech after the first 2 minutes
Wrec86 Ag
(My paraphrase of what he said)
"They're heavy sanctions, let's look at it in a month and see if they are working"

Mr. President, there won't be a Ukraine in a week, let alone a month.
JobSecurity
AG
deddog
AG
Makes you wonder who the Russian Agent in the WhiteHouse is, doesn't it?
depogs
AG
Unfortunately, it looks like Kiev will
fall however their logistics could be vulnerable, if significant amounts of organized resistance survives the next 48 hours, teams of individual javelin armed teams could create issues. In order to survive as an independent nation Ukrainians must think in terms of killing as many Russians as possible versus holding territory.
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.-Thomas Paine
Squadron7
AG
G Martin 87
AG
JobSecurity said:

Does it occur to anyone that picture angles like this make America look small and weak? Sure, it's for COVID social distancing, but still. Just a really stupid image to use at a time when we need to project strength and resolve.
Squadron7
AG
G Martin 87 said:

JobSecurity said:

Does it occur to anyone that picture angles like this make America look small and weak? Sure, it's for COVID social distancing, but still. Just a really stupid image to use at a time when we need to project strength and resolve.

"I give you....the Barbarian Horde!"

jabberwalkie09
AG
LMCane said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

GAC06 said:

LMCane said:

hbtheduce said:

LMCane said:

JobSecurity said:

Sees tweets

I mean, I don't to know about you but using equipment like F-117's, B-2's, and M1 Abrams not to mention cruise missiles against opfor equipment like T-72's, T-59's, and AAA emplacements doesn't exactly seem like peer or near peer to me. YMMV I guess. How we as a military function and move is also different from Russia. I think this has been covered before in the other thread. We could have absolutely steam rolled through Iraq if we wanted to but our ROE is positively more stringent than that evidenced by Russia.
Quote:

Very different theaters of war. Also, I seem to remember Israel receiving quite a bit of material and techno know how help from Europe. Obviously the North Vietnamese had help from third parties as well.
Quote:

Let me make an analogy then just quote myself again. Blowing up the bridge to Crimea would be like if the Mexican military invaded and annexed Galveston Island. Would we just blow up all the bridges leading to the island? If we were to retake it and the bridge was destroyed then air assault (given equitable assets to Ukraine) would be the only option and until that bridge was reestablished, retreat and reinforcement would be almost impossible.

While I understand what you're saying, the mindset of willingly sacrificing people, material, and land you don't have the equipment to retake later isn't necessarily applicable to what I'm seeing from Ukrainians.

That does not mean they will not fight tooth and nail for their country.

Quote:

First of all calm down, take a step back, and breath. Second, go back through the thread there's evidence enough of Ukrainians putting up some resistance. They may be dying for it, but this is their fight. Ukraine's air and naval assets being destroyed was basically always accepted imo. Even most of their air defense being hit was a given. I contend that's they were given stingers since they're man portable and require little training.

Russians moving quickly was always expected. That's literally why their military is so mechanized, armor intensive, and with self propelled artillery. Ukrainians were never going to blow up their own infrastructure. Crimea to them is still Ukraine. Cutting off forces from sustainment or retreat would destroy morale. Ukraine can't afford any of that.

Russian lulled Europe and Ukraine into a false sense of reality here. Russia had done annual exercises roughly between February through April in the region for awhile. It wasn't really considered to be imminent by Europe until like the last month. By that time, it was already too late.
solishu
AG
Several sources are reporting that Ukrainians have retaken the Hostomel Airport.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1496925642520088588?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Edit: nevermind -- fighting continues apparently.
Texasaggie32
solishu said:

Several sources are reporting that Ukrainians have retaken the Hostomel Airport.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1496925642520088588?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
False news apparently

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1496928031474171905?s=20&t=UQ1qCaVLdI3FQlGDTVuCgQ
Seabreeze
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1496928031474171905?s=20&t=P8lLRJowKYCZSVBJv-BESg
First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.