***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,537,168 Views | 47716 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by 74OA
akaggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NATO E-3 AWACS and US KC-10 tankers flying tracks over Romania and Poland. Likely lots of stuff in the air getting gas, just can't see them now...
cone
AG
credit to US intelligence for being directly over the target on this
Irish 2.0
jabberwalkie09
AG
akaggie05 said:

NATO E-3 AWACS and US KC-10 tankers flying tracks over Romania and Poland. Likely lots of stuff in the air getting gas, just can't see them now...
That NATO E-3 will be one of them. That's been in the air for some time and will likely remain in the air for hours to come.
aeroag14
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

aeroag14 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Depends on the ROE. When both sides are using the same types of aircraft bin a confined airspace, they might not have the luxury of BVR engagement.

Well, the SU-35 is not in its element at low altitude and low speeds. It is, first and foremost, an air superiority fighter and I doubt there is any Russian doctrine where they want to get into a close range dog fight with a smaller, more agile mig. TBH, not sure what EITHER aircraft was doing at those altitudes and speeds if they were engaging each other. Either way, I dont think either aircraft was in a particularly good position to do anything to each other.

Now, if the Flanker was armed with R-73s and the Mig had no short range/IR missiles, then it would be a REALLY bad day for the mig.
this ties into my observation, which is to my untrained eye looking at grainy twitter footage, those both look more like migs to me. its tough to be sure from the footage quality, but i don't see the tail boom sticking out behind the elevators on either plane that would be characteristic of a su-35

Both being migs would make more sense. The 29s are pretty multi role capable and might be at those altitudes targeting ground objectives. The Ukrainian mig would have then been chasing the Russian off.
RangerRick9211
AG
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1496870020646850561?s=20&t=9C4-j6mamwEXudq9gByobA

Rubio's update.
P.U.T.U
AG
To put things in perspective, there was at least 7 refuelers in the air yesterday (those are the planes that had their transponders on, there was likely more) so to think the US and other countries are not involved is crazy since they are already. Plus we sent some F35s in the theatre that can act as air traffic controllers so it would not be out of the realm to have them involved
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
akaggie05 said:

the flight tracker website right now...
Irish 2.0

Boris leading the charge. This will crack Russia's finances in a matter of hours. Remember oil settles in USD and the Ruble is rubble right about now.
BlueTaze
Irish 2.0 said:

Career politicians don't care about anything beyond their own term in office. That's why billionaires and businessmen make much better world leaders. Been that way since early Rome.
LMCane
10thYrSr said:

https://old.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/new/

Updates and videos for the attack are good here
great strategy to keep a mile long massive bridge standing so that the Russians can drive hundreds of tanks across into Ukraine from Crimea.

it certainly looks like the Uke defense strategy was concocted by some of Biden's climate change staffers.
jabberwalkie09
AG
LMCane
BlueTaze said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Career politicians don't care about anything beyond their own term in office. That's why billionaires and businessmen make much better world leaders. Been that way since early Rome.
don't worry Taiwan and Israel -

Biden will protect you!
Keegan99
AG
Marco getting reports straight from US Intel.

This isn't a politician freestyling.

LMCane
Irish 2.0 said:

Boris leading the charge. This will crack Russia's finances in a matter of hours. Remember oil settles in USD and the Ruble is rubble right about now.
don't think this will happen- not even sure the UK has the power to kick Russia out of the SWIFT system.

and guess who is buying a cr@p ton of oil and commodities now?

our friends the communist Chinese.

good thing that the USA helped to lower the temperature of the planet though, because it would be awful to have oil at $65 a barrel today.
jabberwalkie09
AG
P.U.T.U said:

To put things in perspective, there was at least 7 refuelers in the air yesterday (those are the planes that had their transponders on, there was likely more) so to think the US and other countries are not involved is crazy since they are already. Plus we sent some F35s in the theatre that can act as air traffic controllers so it would not be out of the realm to have them involved

What's the definition of involvement here? If it's intel sharing the I completely agree. Anything beyond war material and intel I can't see the support happening right now.

And someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't remember F-35's role being ATC. Seems like that would be an E-3 duty.
LMCane
Keegan99 said:

use of battlefield nukes to "escalate to deescalate"

that sounds charming!
SidsBurnerAccount
cone said:

The Russians surrounding Ukraine with 3/4s of their entire military was a pretty short putt from an intelligence perspective.
Tex117
AG
LMCane said:

Keegan99 said:

use of battlefield nukes to "escalate to deescalate"

that sounds charming!
Well, to be fair, thats basically what we did against the Japanese. (Not saying any of this is a good idea).

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
CharlieBrown17
AG
35s do have really excellent ways to take and share data across multiple platforms.

They would be more of a bridge than actual ATC.

If we are doing anything more than defensive CAP over Poland I'd be surprised.
aezmvp
cone said:

Yeah the 16th made sense militarily, maximum illumination to launch pre-dawn attack, decent but not great weather etc. I believe 100% that it made them push back the launch date a bit. That's good because if it hadn't the Ukranians wouldn't have gotten the 36 hours they got to call up reserves.
JobSecurity
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

35s do have really excellent ways to take and share data across multiple platforms.

Right, that's the thought I was trying to draw out. I know that 35's have data link capabilities.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Peace through superior firepower
JobSecurity
AG
aeroag14
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Right, that's the thought I was trying to draw out. I know that 35's have data link capabilities.

THe 35s do have some great network capabilities. But I am not sure whether other NATO jets will be able to take full advantage of those capabilities, as I do not know how fully integrated into those datalink networks other NATO jets are.
P.U.T.U
AG
Lots of reports of F35s and other aircraft moving from Europe to the Baltics seen here.

We have seen E3s in the air and from what I remember they can control out to around 300 miles. Ukraine is around 800 miles across and I am not sure how far they are allowing the E3s to fly. Russia has similar technology capabilities as the US has with drones and satellites so if needed the F35s can help out in that role. Not ideal since getting one of those shot down would be huge
CharlieBrown17
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Not my world but I could see them pinging a F-16 with a target for SEAD or similar

But having them be actually in charge of airspace seems wasteful
Keegan99
AG
JobSecurity said:

Putin knows he has Germany and the EU by the balls, because the fools spent decades on vanity "renewables" undergirded by Russian gas instead of building nukes.
CharlieBrown17
AG
This will be more country by country than NATO wide imo

I'm guessing some of the datalink systems are FVEY at least

And the targets we know would be varying levels of classified based on source
amercer
AG
SidsBurnerAccount said:

cone said:

The Russians surrounding Ukraine with 3/4s of their entire military was a pretty short putt from an intelligence perspective.

And yet the Ukrainians (and Euros) didn't think it would happen
amercer
AG
JobSecurity said:

Where does the infrastructure for this system live?
jabberwalkie09
AG
akaggie05
AG
Use adsbexchange... much better IMO. Just be sure to click the "U" button up top to see military only.
JobSecurity
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 12 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.