***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,596,650 Views | 47841 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Ag with kids
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
most likely they're going to pull off whatever anti aircraft tools they can from it and put them elsewhere.

While it still would be preferable to be on a sea bed, but that mobile anti-aircraft platform is taken offline.

Biggest issue for Putin now is any ship is vulnerable to attack. Limits his chess pieces.
Waffledynamics
AG
FamousAgg
Waffledynamics said:

Come on Ukraine, you can do better than that.
aezmvp
RebelE Infantry said:

Update- ASB Military News (pro Russian independent account so grains of salt and whatnot) are reporting that the Moskva reached Sevastopol under her own power.

Not sure I buy it given that Russian MoD reported evacuation of the crew. Satellite imagery should shed some light on this in the next day or so.
Yeah I'm waiting for the pictures. I kinda doubt the own power bit but it is possible. If she got there under her own power I'd be looking into a courts martial for the Captain. Abandoning the ship when she can get back to port is a really terrible look.
Squadron7
AG
Waffledynamics said:

How'd you like to be waiting on these Russian Emergency trucks to come to you knowing they are coming on Chinese tires?
RebelE Infantry
AG
aezmvp said:

RebelE Infantry said:

Update- ASB Military News (pro Russian independent account so grains of salt and whatnot) are reporting that the Moskva reached Sevastopol under her own power.

Not sure I buy it given that Russian MoD reported evacuation of the crew. Satellite imagery should shed some light on this in the next day or so.
Yeah I'm waiting for the pictures. I kinda doubt the own power bit but it is possible. If she got there under her own power I'd be looking into a courts martial for the Captain. Abandoning the ship when she can get back to port is a really terrible look.

I was thinking the same thing. But if you read the quotes from the Pentagon spokesman he makes it seem like they didn't end up evacuating the whole crew. On the other hand the Russian MoD statement makes it sound like they did. Fog of War still undefeated…
MeatDr
AG
The Russians have captured https://twitter.com/cossackgundi, the British national fighting in Mariupol. He's been a marine with Ukraine for about 5 years and has a Ukrainian fiance, so he shouldn't really be considered a foreign fighter or mercenary, but I'm sure he's being depicted as such by Russia.

bonfarr
AG
fullback44 said:

So do we know what artillery pieces were sent to Ukraine ?

Was the HIMARS system sent?

News report said Howitzers so I took that to mean old school shells and not missiles.
AgLA06
AG
MeatDr said:

The Russians have captured https://twitter.com/cossackgundi, the British national fighting in Mariupol. He's been a marine with Ukraine for about 5 years and has a Ukrainian fiance, so he shouldn't really be considered a foreign fighter or mercenary, but I'm sure he's being depicted as such by Russia.

I mean he's a Ukrainian citizen with a family and residence in Ukraine.

They captured an Ukrainian Marine with previous experience in serving with a foreign service.

I don't get the hoopla other than he had a youtube / twitter account that was "well known".
AgLA06
AG
BattleGrackle said:

Waffledynamics said:

I'm still trying to figure out what you think you are communicating here.
JFABNRGR
AG
Ship on fire.

https://t.me/conflictzone/22880

Looks like a pretty bad fire, however at least 5 ships in support for rescue fire suppression etc.

Also seas do not look that rough.
AggieChemist
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Barvinkove in eastern Europe, where there will likely be clashes soon. They have a 1940's machine gun, Ukes don't care as long as it fires.
And he stopped off in Tushka at the pop knife and gun place
Bought a SKS rifle and a couple full cases of that steel core ammo
With the Berdan primers from some East bloc nation
That no longer needs 'em
And a Desert Eagle, that's one great big old pistol
I mean, fifty caliber made by bad-ass Hebrews
And some surplus tracers for that old BAR
Of Slaton's as soon as it gets dark, we're gonna have us a time
We're gonna have us a time
Rossticus
Full thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1514586004795109379.html

MouthBQ98
AG
BattleGrackle said:

Waffledynamics said:

Looks like some mortar projectiles to me.

Was there any civilian traffic given the two nations are at war? I figure most anything crossing that border would be military
LMCane
AlaskanAg99 said:

It'll be a lot easier to hit tied up. Just lob a missle at it every 20 days or so.
I have been seeing reports that the Russians are finding it impossible to continue ship building due to the sanctions being leveled every day.

Let's see how easy it is for them to rebuild a burned out hulk of a 1977 cruiser.
AgLA06
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

BattleGrackle said:

Waffledynamics said:

Looks like some mortar projectiles to me.

Was there any civilian traffic given the two nations are at war? I figure most anything crossing that border would be military
I'm trying to figure out the outrage here. With a war between the 2 parties, the border should be closed. I imagine they were trying to hit a high priority target passing through.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AgLA06 said:

MeatDr said:

I mean he's a Ukrainian citizen with a family and residence in Ukraine.

They captured an Ukrainian Marine with previous experience in serving with a foreign service.

I don't get the hoopla other than he had a youtube / twitter account that was "well known".

He's a Brit who move to Ukraine and became Ukrainian.
FamousAgg
I'm saying if it really was Ukraine that shelled this place they should have hit it harder than that
knj2417
AG
BattleGrackle said:

I'm saying if it really was Ukraine that shelled this place they should have hit it harder than that

Take a page out of Russias disinformation campaign and suggest Russia obviously did this to their own people…
AgLA06
AG
BattleGrackle said:

Oh, okay.

I wasn't sure if you were suggesting Ukraine did something wrong by hitting it. That makes sense.
FriscoKid
AG

750 Million! That will buy a lot of potatoes.

Putin has to be fuming mad right now as he yells at walls in his bunker. What a disaster he created.
G Martin 87
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

wangus12 said:

RebelE Infantry said:

Sorry for raining on the sunken ship parade
At the end of the day, whether it was hit by Neptunes or it was an ammunition explosion, its a significant piece removed from the board. If they had to abandon her, its damaged enough that it probably will be in dry dock for a long period of time and I doubt the Russians can refit her quickly.

Still wish she was at the bottom of the Black though

Don't disagree with this one bit. Major blow to Russia. Shipwrights in Sevastopol certainly have their work cut out for them.
Wait until they tow it back to dry dock, then blast it again. Take out both with one shot.
FriscoKid
AG

Other ships that are left are getting the hell out of Dodge now. This was not just some accident that just happened like some here are saying.
RebelE Infantry
AG
G Martin 87 said:

RebelE Infantry said:

wangus12 said:

RebelE Infantry said:

At the end of the day, whether it was hit by Neptunes or it was an ammunition explosion, its a significant piece removed from the board. If they had to abandon her, its damaged enough that it probably will be in dry dock for a long period of time and I doubt the Russians can refit her quickly.

Don't disagree with this one bit. Major blow to Russia. Shipwrights in Sevastopol certainly have their work cut out for them.
Wait until they tow it back to dry dock, then blast it again. Take out both with one shot.

I'm not sure the Ukrainians have the capability to hit Sevastopol (if that is where the repairs will be made).
wtmartinaggie
AG
If you read about the great military conflicts in history the maneuvering and trap set by brilliant military minds are always fascinating. Recently, it seemed like things had gotten to a place where technology and tactics moved to a place where those types of ingenuity were less common. It's been amazing to watch the Ukranians outwit the Russians.

I mean to have these missiles throughout this conflict but wait for a storm to come through so they knew they had the best chance to land the blow takes an incredible degree of restraint and savvy. Using a drone to distract radar, etc. is brilliant.

I just wish they sent more missiles so the Russians couldn't try to explain it away.
Faustus
FriscoKid said:

750 Million! That will buy a lot of potatoes.

Putin has to be fuming mad right now as he yells at walls in his bunker. What a disaster he created.

And that's just a fraction of the $300 billion in currency reserves that were frozen by sanctions because Putin was dumb enough to leave it parked in Western banks while his troops invaded Ukraine.
Rossticus
Russia alleging Ukraine attacking a village, in Russia, with (as of yet) no known military targets, via helicopter. Would seem an odd risk and waste of resources given the location and current priorities in the east. Worth noting that just yesterday Russia announced that any attacks on Russian territory would be justification for renewed strikes on Kyiv.

AgLA06
AG
If I'm mapping it correctly, it's only 200 miles from Odessa to sevastopol. Between drone flight time and range of Neptunes, it's not impossible.
G Martin 87
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

G Martin 87 said:

RebelE Infantry said:

wangus12 said:

RebelE Infantry said:

I'm not sure the Ukrainians have the capability to hit Sevastopol (if that is where the repairs will be made).
If this map is accurate and a Neptune can hit a docked ship target, Sevastopol is well within range.

GAC06
AG
Anti ship missiles are designed to detect and hit a ship at sea, not in port.

Interestingly, all the ships of that class were built in Mykolaiv, and the fourth and final ship is supposedly 95% complete and is still in Ukraine.
Rossticus
Full thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1514622070877040644.html

Rossticus
GAC06 said:

Anti ship missiles are designed to detect and hit a ship at sea, not in port

Additionally, if it's no longer capable of serving its primary functions, and is beyond repair within the scope of this conflict, you're better served using those assets to take out something else.
Rossticus
Looks like she's limping back on a wing and a prayer at best.

Project Gemini
AG
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I do money not warfare for a living. Its seems the ship is damaged but still floating and they are trying to get it back for repairs. Why wouldn't the Ukranians be sending more ordinance at it to permanently sink it? Is that not cool in legal warfare to hit it? Perhaps they can't because medical / rescue personnel are there? I suppose there are many reasons why not and we probably don't know if they tried again.
RebelE Infantry
AG
AgLA06 said:

If I'm mapping it correctly, it's only 200 miles from Odessa to sevastopol. Between drone flight time and range of Neptunes, it's not impossible.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks.
First Page Last Page
Page 485 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.