***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,596,910 Views | 47841 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Ag with kids
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If it's done for the course of the war then you gain no appreciable advantage by hitting it again. Russia can't just put it in dry dock and pop it back out in a few weeks.

And based on the actual evidence as opposed to government statements, while she may not be on the bottom of the sea, she's a lot closer to sunk than ship shape. If she was moving under her own power to any appreciable extent she'd be tracking much differently.
Rossticus

GlobalHawk with a front row seat.

Spartacus
Mortar's? From the video, the entire overhead structure looks to be intact. I see bullet holes possibly
AgLA06
AG
Project Gemini said:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I do money not warfare for a living. Its seems the ship is damaged but still floating and they are trying to get it back for repairs. Why wouldn't the Ukranians be sending more ordinance at it to permanently sink it? Is that not cool in legal warfare to hit it? Perhaps they can't because medical / rescue personnel are there? I suppose there are many reasons why not and we probably don't know if they tried again.
I'm sure someone smarter will provide a better answer.

Reality is it doesn't really matter if its irreparably damaged or sunk at this point.

They literally just lost the flagship of their fleet named after the country capital that was the pride of a joke of a navy (not including subs). It was as much moral crushing to the Russians and extremely difficult to explain to the public and beyond moral boosting to the Uke countryman.

No point in wasting another extremely precious munition.
Squadron7
AG
Rossticus said:

Looks like she's limping back on a wing and a prayer at best.

In this context, what does "keep ahold of her" actually mean?
JB!98
AG
Squadron7 said:

Rossticus said:

Looks like she's limping back on a wing and a prayer at best.

In this context, what does "keep ahold of her" actually mean?
I would think fleet tugs. I think I saw where there were a couple of them on there way to the area after she was hit. If she is taking on water faster than they can pump it out then she still may sink.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Not a Bot
AG
Didn't see this posted yesterday, but may have missed it.

Rossticus
IMO keep a positional fix on it for S&R/if it does go down. But I'm not Navy so a more knowledgeable opinion would certainly be welcomed.
MouthBQ98
AG
Spartacus said:

Mortar's? From the video, the entire overhead structure looks to be intact. I see bullet holes possibly

They showed the tail vane typical of a mortar shell and a piece of shrapnel, and notice the density of fragments close to the car, and how further away the damage is random holes of much less density.
wangus12
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Didn't see this posted yesterday, but may have missed it.

No complaints from me if the can figure out how to deorbit them
Waffledynamics
AG
I HIGHLY doubt Anonymous's claim, funny and awesome as it would be if it were true.
MouthBQ98
AG
In regard to the ship, their fleet could be conducting SAR for missing men. If significantly damaged, even if the vessel doesn't sink, it will be out of action several months at minimum.
Not a Bot
AG
I seriously doubt it as well.
FriscoKid
AG
Quote:

'[At] 1.14am The cruiser lay on its side and after half an hour all the electricity went out. From 2am, the Turkish ship evacuated 54 sailors from the cruiser, and at about 3am, Turkey and Romania reported that the ship was completely sunk. The related losses of Russian personnel are not yet known, although there were 485 people on board (66 of them officers).'

According to Russian media, Putin was informed overnight about the loss of the ship and was erroneously told that the attack was carried out with British weapons.
Putin was 'furious' in a way 'never seen before', the General SVR Telegram channel said.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10719627/Putins-navy-run-Russian-warships-away-Ukrainian-coast.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead
PJYoung
AG
Project Gemini said:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I do money not warfare for a living. Its seems the ship is damaged but still floating and they are trying to get it back for repairs. Why wouldn't the Ukranians be sending more ordinance at it to permanently sink it? Is that not cool in legal warfare to hit it? Perhaps they can't because medical / rescue personnel are there? I suppose there are many reasons why not and we probably don't know if they tried again.
ABATTBQ11
AG
My understanding is that the connections to satellites are easy to disrupt via a DDoS type attack. It's more denying control than taking control.
Rossticus
Full thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1514586953546715138.html

txags92
AG
I thought the Neptunes had a 280km range. Which wouldn't quite reach Sevastopol from Odessa
Rossticus
Great follow-up thread to prior incident. Long.

Full thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1514602438895964163.html

txags92
AG
The Ukrainians have also done a great job hiding their neptunes and appeared to use the stormy conditions to cover the launch at the Moscow. Doubt they want to bring them out again to shoot at it if they might reveal their location to do so.
Rossticus
As soon as radar goes on they can see you. Best to remain opportunistic with usage as their stock is still extremely limited.
MeatDr
AG
CondensedFogAggie
txags92
AG
Rossticus said:

As soon as radar goes on they can see you. Best to remain opportunistic with usage as their stock is still extremely limited.

If the neptune is like the harpoon, they are designed to fly to a location before turning on their radar to look for a target. So the main thing is to be able to obscure the launch from visual observation or detection by nearby radars.
Rossticus

Waffledynamics
AG
Liveuamap just lit up with a lot of aerial threat alerts around the country. While fairly common in this war, I don't think I've seen that in a few days. I wonder if it's retaliatory.
CondensedFogAggie

Well well well.
CondensedFogAggie

Not bad.
Rossticus
Putin is losing his freaking mind and sacking everyone. Historically, this doesn't go terribly well for a war effort in the short term.
Rossticus
GAC06
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Not bad.

That's enough for a tank and a half fully loaded
Rossticus
What a coincidence that Ukraine suddenly starts shelling random villages in Russia the day after they take down the Moscow and Putin is raging around sacking everyone and giving his defense minister a heart attack.

pv
Payback is a ***** Russian state hackers
Rossticus
Damn, Germany…

Should be noted that concrete evidence as to perpetration and motive are still outstanding. Appears to be limited to public here say at this point.

JFABNRGR
AG
txags92 said:

I thought the Neptunes had a 280km range. Which wouldn't quite reach Sevastopol from Odessa
One of my earlier posts stated our Global Hawk went into the Black sea the day before the ship attack. I suspect the ship was located at this time and the weapon system was moved to within range, likely just NW of Kherson under the cover of darkness. The ISR bird went back over, after this maneuver confirming target location for the actual attack. There is a 50KM reduction in distance to Sevastopol.

If the current position of the rescue by OSint is correct that's a 130 KM drift from the end of the 280KM neptune range from either Odessa or Kherson area. The winds are blowing in a southernly direction so is 130KM of drift in 21 hours realistic?
First Page Last Page
Page 486 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.