More Gay outrage. Can't fly a Pride flag in an HOA in Austin.

5,773 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DGAG92
TexAgs91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rocky the dog said:

It doesn't stop there...

What is the actual law allegedly being violated here that the police are spending tax dollars investigating?
Fight! Fight! Fight!
Eso si, Que es
LGBTQIA2S+ thread that is missing 2 obvious people. I will withhold my opinion until I am told what it should be.
Cassius
TexAgs91 said:

rocky the dog said:

It doesn't stop there...

What is the actual law allegedly being violated here that the police are spending tax dollars investigating?

hate crime
Kvetch
AG
GeorgiAg said:

HOAs generally suck.

You get some people on a power trip and they can make your life hell. As long as it is not being overly "in your face," if someone wants to fly a Trump Flag or a Rainbow flag, what's the big deal?

The big deal is that you agreed to the rules just like everyone else. Your interests don't supersede the interests of everyone else that chooses to live there and follow the rules. If you don't like it, move.

You don't get to make moral judgements and say it's no big deal. If someone were flying the hammer and sickle or isis flag, I'd imagine you'd side with the HOA. You don't get to decide which flags mean what to the broader community. It doesn't matter if you see a problem. It's a violation of the rules and should be treated as such.
ShaggySLC
ruddyduck said:

ShaggySLC said:

The gay mafia is also mad at Kevin Hart and Netflix for his movie Fatherhood on Father's Day no less.

what's this about?
Its pride month, Kevin Hart once said he'd beat his kid if he was gay. Thus, many on the twitter thread thought he was cancelled already. Others are cancelling the movie because of Hart's message years ago and Netflix for promoting it during pride month. That's what I got out of the comments. Also thought it was funny that the movie is based off a white guy raising his daughter but Netflix tried to give a black man a job but it clearly wasn't enough and the wrong black man.
GeorgiAg
AG
DallasGrad18 said:

GeorgiAg said:

HOAs generally suck.

You get some people on a power trip and they can make your life hell. As long as it is not being overly "in your face," if someone wants to fly a Trump Flag or a Rainbow flag, what's the big deal?

The big deal is that you agreed to the rules just like everyone else. Your interests don't supersede the interests of everyone else that chooses to live there and follow the rules. If you don't like it, move.

You don't get to make moral judgements and say it's no big deal. If someone were flying the hammer and sickle or isis flag, I'd imagine you'd side with the HOA. You don't get to decide which flags mean what to the broader community. It doesn't matter if you see a problem. It's a violation of the rules and should be treated as such.
The problem with HOAs is that is the LAST thing people would look into when buying a place. Schools, proximity to work, neighborhood, quality of house, lot, yard, amenities, neighbors. You pick all of that, get a price you want and then you learn there's a draconian HOA. Someone's gonna tell you you can't fly a tasteful Trump 2020 flag? (The article said all political flags are prohibited. - Most here would relate to that which is why I used that as the example.)

I hate HOAs. Most go too far IMHO. Laws you gotta follow set up by people you didn't elect that are virtually impossible to change.

I just hate HOAs. Frikken Gestapo.
doubledog
rocky the dog said:

It doesn't stop there...

Black tire marks on gay symbol. Black on Gay hate crime!
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
ShaggySLC said:

ruddyduck said:

ShaggySLC said:

The gay mafia is also mad at Kevin Hart and Netflix for his movie Fatherhood on Father's Day no less.

what's this about?
Its pride month, Kevin Hart once said he'd beat his kid if he was gay. Thus, many on the twitter thread thought he was cancelled already. Others are cancelling the movie because of Hart's message years ago and Netflix for promoting it during pride month. That's what I got out of the comments. Also thought it was funny that the movie is based off a white guy raising his daughter but Netflix tried to give a black man a job but it clearly wasn't enough and the wrong black man.

man, we americans have such hard lives and so much struggle. it's amazing we find the strength to get up every morning.

i know there are those who struggle with modern day slavery, being kidnapped and sold into the sex trade, civil war, famines, concentration camps, etc. but they've never had to deal with a bad joke or opinion from freaking kevin hart.
TexasAggie81
These homeowners perpetuate a bad, stereotypical label that tags a lot of gay men and women in this country. What they are doing is shameless and embarrassing to a significant percentage of the gay community. A person becomes a victim when he or she ALLOWS himself or herself to become a victim. There are no excuses for claiming to be, becoming, or remaining anyone's victim in this country. There are many members of the gay community who NEVER pull the "gay card" because they see that behavior as weak, petty and a blatant admission that gays cannot become legitimate members of society without special assistance. These homeowners may not like the HOA rules and the manner in which they are enforced (and a lot of us who live in such communities can join that very large club), but that doesn't mean they don't have to abide by them. If they didn't like the rules, they shouldn't have moved into that community. "Rules for thee, but not for me" can never be seen as legitimate.

Having said that, there are a lot of laws and rules that might need to be changed. These HOA rules might be among them. But whining about the rule is pathetic. Most of us here despise the state of the law on abortion, but until the current law is changed, Roe v. Wade --- coupled with some state restrictions --- prevails on the issue of abortion. If people don't like certain rules or laws like those mentioned above, their time, energy, effort and resources would be best used in attempts to alter those laws rather than to merely complain about how they are administered or enforced. Wringing their hands and making a shameful spectacle of themselves won't get that done.

The bigger issue --- which is rarely discussed (and not the main focus of this post) --- is the fact that discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, age and disability is constitutionally or statutorily prohibited in this country, while there is no federal constitutional or statutory prohibition against discrimination based on sexual orientation or choice. Has anyone here ever REALLY thought about that?
PooDoo
AG
Same HOA probably banned Trump flags.

Injustice for all!
Danny Vermin

annie88
AG
HOAs suck ass.

You always have that one person within the organization it's just a total dick. Must be liberals because they always want to control the most ridiculous bull*****
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
hoa and politics are full of the same busybody aholes no one liked that ran for all the stupid stuff from elementary to high school.

basically, anyone that runs for or desires those positions are absolutely the last people that should ever have them.

what's the old line from the office?

" this is the smallest amount of power i've ever seen go to somebody's head".
Matt_ag98
MaximusDMeridius said:

exp said:

This HOA story made NYT today. Some world.
of course it did. it will be the biggest American threat by noon.

More of a threat than an entire nation of white supremacists? #libs
MosesHallRAB04
AG
My HOA has flag restrictions too. Only US, Texas or military are allowed apparently.

I got a warning letter for flying a sports team flag and was surprised. I didn't catch that part when i skimmed the hoa bylaws.
TexAgs91
AG
Cassius said:

TexAgs91 said:

rocky the dog said:

It doesn't stop there...

hate crime
I still can't understand how they can prosecute thoughts and feelings. Actions yes, but actual thought crimes?
Fight! Fight! Fight!
Cassius
TexAgs91 said:

Cassius said:

TexAgs91 said:

rocky the dog said:

It doesn't stop there...

hate crime
I still can't understand how they can prosecute thoughts and feelings. Actions yes, but actual thought crimes?

Oh, I see. Your mistake is trying to understand it.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

My HOA has flag restrictions too. Only US, Texas or military are allowed apparently.

I got a warning letter for flying a sports team flag and was surprised. I didn't catch that part when i skimmed the hoa bylaws.
The right to fly the US flag is federally protected. HOA's can't do squat about that one, although some states do limit flagpole height, etc.
TexAgs91
AG
Cassius said:

TexAgs91 said:

Cassius said:

TexAgs91 said:

rocky the dog said:

It doesn't stop there...

hate crime

Oh, I see. Your mistake is trying to understand it.
My mistake was thinking this is a free country
Fight! Fight! Fight!
romanagg11
Why does the world seem to support pride honestly? Doesn't that lifestyle threaten the continuation of the human race?
One Louder
AG
ShaggySLC said:

ruddyduck said:

ShaggySLC said:

what's this about?

The movie is relevant now because of Father's Day which predates Pride Month.

Also, I thought gay couples wanted to be treated like straight couples? What if a straight couple decides they wanted to fly a flag promoting "super straightness"? I swear, these people don't think beyond their own feelings.
Eso si, Que es
ShaggySLC said:

ruddyduck said:

ShaggySLC said:

what's this about?
I watched it and thought Kevin did a good job with the funny parts, but was really good in the serious and somber scenes. He was a good choice in my opinion.

Maybe him being the lead gets it in front of a few people who wouldn't have seen it otherwise that see a great father as the protagonist.

Of course the gay community is upset that a comedian went for a joke, no one is allowed to laugh anymore.
DevilD77
AG
What I don't understand is their need to advertise that they are gay. If I see two guys and some kids acting like a family, I'm going to assume they are gay and that's okay. But with all of the crazies in the world, why on Earth would you want to advertise it to the general public by putting a flag on your house?
Kvetch
AG
That's your fault. The HOA is one of the first things any homeowner that does due diligence will ask about. Plenty of neighborhoods don't have an HOA. If you don't like the HOA rules, don't move there. If the price is good and you don't mind the rules, move there.

Outlawing HOAs when you have the ability to choose whether or not to live in an HOA neighborhood is the dumbest thing ever. There's a reason they exist. I bet you also complain about the neighbors with unkept yards, terrible landscaping, and adornments that are an eyesore because all of those reduce surrounding property values.

Just be a damn adult, live with the choices you make, and follow the rules. If a rule is really that draconian, get involved and submit a request to change it. Don't go to the press and cry homophobia when none is present. And this rule is perfectly reasonable, by the way.

Cassius
GeorgiAg said:

DallasGrad18 said:

GeorgiAg said:

HOAs generally suck.

The problem with HOAs is that is the LAST thing people would look into when buying a place. Schools, proximity to work, neighborhood, quality of house, lot, yard, amenities, neighbors. You pick all of that, get a price you want and then you learn there's a draconian HOA. Someone's gonna tell you you can't fly a tasteful Trump 2020 flag? (The article said all political flags are prohibited. - Most here would relate to that which is why I used that as the example.)

I hate HOAs. Most go too far IMHO. Laws you gotta follow set up by people you didn't elect that are virtually impossible to change.

I just hate HOAs. Frikken Gestapo.

Give me a break. You're a lib. You love the gestapo as long as it does what you want. In the case of an HOA, if the buyer is too dumb to inquire about it before buying, then the buyer deserves the misery they get. You don't have to live there. Freedom is good.
wbt5845
AG
See, the mistake this HOA made was by trying to explain in more detail, comparing it to a sports flag, to which the gays went ...

Just simple, clean "no flags other than those spelled out in HOA covenants" and QED.

When you try to expand that thought, you just invite a debate of how that flag isn't really like all the others.
DGAG92
AG
So if they get the rule changed, someone should hang the largest Trump flag they cam find. I'd be willing to bet, these two, would be the first to complain.

Sick of these victims, they're about to push that final button.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.