i-40 bridge at Memphis closed due to crack found.

25,578 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AlaskanAg99
cbr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Valhalla said:

aggiehawg said:

Another angle.

Right near the center pylon.

Holy **** that a big break. No way is that the only break in that bridge.
no way they shouldnt have caught that crack growing for a long time before that.....
Burdizzo
AG
Ag with kids said:

aggiehawg said:

Burdizzo said:

A couple of fish plates, some 7018 rods, and a Millet Bobcat welding machine, and she'll be good as new.
Maybe you can't answer this but is it significant that the steel failed away from the rivets, instead of at the rivets???
Yes.

It IS significant.

And I don't know how often they inspect that bridge, but that COMPLETE FAILURE of the steel integrity didn't just happen in a short time.

Actually, I would suggest that the lack of rust staining around the break indicates it happened pretty suddenly

(I am not a structural engineer)
agent-maroon
AG
I see rust on the crack surface in the OP photos. Maybe they've been painting over the crack so there wasn't any greater surface rust area?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
96AgGrad
AG
aggiehawg said:

96AgGrad said:

They just need to extend that gusset plate a couple feet. That should do'er.
Frankly I am surprised at the number of posters who say dumb crap like that.

Shame on you.
I would trust that most would realize it was tongue-in-cheek.
fixer
OnlyForNow said:

That's not a crack, it looks completely broken and shifted.

Yeah not a crack that is an actual failure. Now the rest of the structure has to take that stress... so definitely more indications will be found.

They will have to UT every square inch of that bridge.
Muy
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Some offshore rig welder could fix that better than new in 48 hours for $10K.

The Feds will spend 2 weeks studying it and 3 months engineering an overly extravagant repair.

Probably hire Bain Consulting to present a regurgitated presentation on industry trends.
EKUAg
AG
cupcakesprinkles said:

A little to big for Flex Seal. Better get the big bucket of Flex Paste.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
The chord element looks to be a closed off box/tube section so it's possible the crack formed on the interior so it wouldn't have been visible. I'm not familiar if AASHTO specifies Non-destructive testing (NDT) that all DoT's are required to follow but I'm surprised it wasn't caught if the failure was in fact due to an interior crack propagation.
tysker
AG
that some New Jack City level problems... Damn, crack...
Sea Speed
AG
96AgGrad said:

aggiehawg said:

96AgGrad said:

They just need to extend that gusset plate a couple feet. That should do'er.
Frankly I am surprised at the number of posters who say dumb crap like that.

Shame on you.
I would trust that most would realize it was tongue-in-cheek.

I'm amazed that anyone would think the author of that post was serious. Shame on them.
CDUB98
AG
OnlyForNow said:

That's not a crack, it looks completely broken and shifted.

Ya think?
SPF250
AG
Look closely at the pics in the OP. In the first pic showing the rivet plate, the section with the rivet plate is shifted toward the outside of the span. In the next view, from above, the section with the rivet plate is shifted toward the inside. Ostensibly the pictures were taken within a few minutes of each other. That's a lot of movement in a short amount of time.
DifferenceMaker Ag
Just jack a new beam into place, throw some rivets into it and then slap on some paint. What's the big deal?
Ag with kids
AG
Burdizzo said:

Ag with kids said:

aggiehawg said:

Burdizzo said:

A couple of fish plates, some 7018 rods, and a Millet Bobcat welding machine, and she'll be good as new.
Maybe you can't answer this but is it significant that the steel failed away from the rivets, instead of at the rivets???
Yes.

It IS significant.

And I don't know how often they inspect that bridge, but that COMPLETE FAILURE of the steel integrity didn't just happen in a short time.

Actually, I would suggest that the lack of rust staining around the break indicates it happened pretty suddenly

(I am not a structural engineer)
(I am not a structural engineer either)

However, I AM an Aero.

A break where there's no stress points (like rivets,etc) isn't something that usually just "happens" suddenly.

I don't doubt that the actual FRACTURE occurred quickly. But the underlying causes for that fracture have probably been there for quite a while.
milner79
Bridge Lacerations Matter.
TexasAggie_02
TexasRebel
AG
I'm wondering what the inside of that tube looks like.

Corrosion over the years could do something like that.

Add in a boat strike or an earthquake

May some Civil Engineering prof wanted to demonstrate a practical "find the stress in the over constrained cord with settling" problem.
Ag with kids
AG
TexasRebel said:

I'm wondering what the inside of that tube looks like.

Corrosion over the years could do something like that.

Add in a boat strike or an earthquake

May some Civil Engineering prof wanted to demonstrate a practical "find the stress in the over constrained cord with settling" problem.
DING DING DING!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
TexasAggie_02
AG
https://wreg.com/news/frantic-911-calls-from-i-40-bridge-inspectors-reveal-seriousness-of-situation/
TexasAggie_02
AG
This bridge is apparently inspected annually

https://wreg.com/news/how-inspectors-rated-the-i-40-bridge-before-fracture-shut-it-down/
DRE06
AG
China would already be planning a new bridge, would have plans finalized in a week, and would have a new bridge built in 3 weeks.

US will **** this up. 5 years of permit and design reviews.

That's where we are.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Did someone march a band over it, in step? Or did climate change cause the WIO frequency to shift to the resonance frequency of the bridge?
TexasAggie_02
AG
I know nothing about engineering, but I find it interesting that the horizontal tear along the top is smooth, and the vertical tear down the side is jagged.

Could it be possible that someone cut it along the top, and stress caused it to tear down the side?
BBRex
AG
Gator92 said:

BQ_90 said:

Biz Ag said:

if you're gonna fix it, fix it right

Once patched a lower unit w/ JB and a beer can. True story.

How fast can you get to Memphis?
Pookers
AG
I hear those feminist bridge builders from Florida are available.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I would believe it is the other way. The flaw or cut would be the jagged edge and the clean shear plane is where it snapped. But for the inspectors to miss it, I would expect the original flaw is on the opposite side of this beam where it would be the hardest to see.
Not a Bot
AG
Little Rock Ag said:

Rumor has it that ARDOT inspected the bridge and gave it a pass, then TNDOT found the break just a short time later. Way to go Arkansas bridge inspectors....guess someone has to be 50th in the nation.
This rumor does not appear to be true. ARDOT is responsible for inspecting the bridge. Their contracted inspectors are the ones who called to have it shut down after noting the crack. Actually, two different inspectors contracted by ARDOT called Arkansas and Tennessee authorities at the same time to get traffic stopped.

https://wreg.com/news/frantic-911-calls-from-i-40-bridge-inspectors-reveal-seriousness-of-situation/

(Edited for clarity)
GigemKW
Tex100 said:

Drove over that bridge last week.

You put on some lbs during covid?
flakrat
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

This bridge is apparently inspected annually

https://wreg.com/news/how-inspectors-rated-the-i-40-bridge-before-fracture-shut-it-down/
Uh oh, someone is about to get fooked
agent-maroon
AG
Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

I would believe it is the other way. The flaw or cut would be the jagged edge and the clean shear plane is where it snapped. But for the inspectors to miss it, I would expect the original flaw is on the opposite side of this beam where it would be the hardest to see.

If it was a fatigue crack that grew to a critical size and then fractured it would be the opposite. The smooth "clean" surface would be where the crack initiated and grew under many tension/compression cycles. The jagged edge would be the sudden catastrophic fracture surface.

Here's a schematic for illustration:

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Not a Bot
AG
It is inspected every two years, not every year.
Earl_Rudder
AG
cupcakesprinkles said:

atmtws
AG
DRE06 said:

China would already be planning a new bridge, would have plans finalized in a week, and would have a new bridge built in 3 weeks.

US will **** this up. 5 years of permit and design reviews.

That's where we are.
Let's hope hope they use a different engineer than the one that built this:

WBBQ74
AG
I wonder if this makes the cover of next month's ASCE magazine?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.