i-40 bridge at Memphis closed due to crack found.

25,687 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AlaskanAg99
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

The I-40 Hernando DeSoto "M" bridge over the Mississippi River is closed indefinitely, according to the Tennessee Department of Transportation, after crews discovered a crack in the structure during a routine inspection.
TDOT says the crack is on the bottom side of the bridge truss and the bridge will be shut down indefinitely. River traffic is shut down until further notice.
TDOT says contract crews will investigate the crack's extent and make emergency repairs, "which could take some time."

Link

Traffic on the Mississippi River has been halted going under the bridge as well.
Rapier108
Great, just great.

And that's a pretty serious crack.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
riverrataggie
AG
That's more than a crack
MouthBQ98
AG
That'll buff out. We need to spend more on pre-pre school infrastructure.
Jason C.
AG
Bridges are infrastructure
DrEvazanPhD
We should be focusing on more important things, like transsexual rights or "free" childcare
BQ_90
AG
that's break, that ain't no crack
riverrataggie
AG
Hunter Biden 'did someone say crack!?!?!?'
cupcakesprinkles
AG
MouthBQ98
AG
Some offshore rig welder could fix that better than new in 48 hours for $10K.

The Feds will spend 2 weeks studying it and 3 months engineering an overly extravagant repair.
titan
S

Holy crap. That is more than just significant. That's much like the Remagen Bridge after grazed by bomb, and before it went down. That kind of breach only widens under stress.

They were right to shut it down at once. There won't be many survivors of a span collapse into the Mississippi River --even if any survived the descent.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Cassius
MouthBQ98 said:

The Feds will spend 2 weeks studying it and 3 months engineering an overly extravagant repair.

Yeah, but I'm thinking more to come, no? That's a serious stress crack in the steel.
Ag with kids
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

My daughter's boyfriend did that up until this year. Then he graduated with his BS in Comp Sci and he's now a S/W engineer with us in our research center.

I'll ask him if he wants a side gig this weekend.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yeah, they do ultimately need an engineering analysis to determine why that crack developed and if there is a larger problem developing.
C@LAg
Well it is a good thing that Joe Biden signed off on trillions of "infrastructure" spending of which may be a few hundred million may actually go to infrastructure and not bribes to the Democrat establishment and those on their Plantation.
fooz
Nothing a little jb weld couldn't fix.
Cassius
They are very fortunate that they have two bridges spanning that river.
oh no
AG
fortunately, a couple million dollars in the multi-trillion dollar infrastructure bill was ear marked for things like this.. you know, actual infrastructure.
LC Wannabe
S
Looks like that "crack" has been there a while.

I-10 bridge in Lake Charles is next. That thing is a disaster waiting to happen.
titan
S

The one in Lake Charles probably has had its share of sea storm damage too, right? Didn't it have a vessel slam against one of its pylons about two hurricanes there ago?
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
joho
The alternate route across the I-55 bridge is a bottlenecked sh*tshow on a good day.
A new reason to avoid Memphis.
AgBQ-00
AG
Crack in memphis??!! What is this the 80's??
Cassius
joho said:

The alternate route across the I-55 bridge is a bottlenecked sh*tshow on a good day.
A new reason to avoid Memphis.

Looking at it on Google maps, it's blood red for a big stretch.
TxTarpon
Send a social worker with some flexseal!
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
aggiehawg
AG
Cassius said:

Yeah but the I-55 one is over 70 years old and then narrows down to one lane, according to posters on TD.

Quote:

That one lane cloverleaf interchange where I-55 north makes the turn onto the bridge to go across the river will be an absolute s*** show until this is over.

Quote:

This is bad. That bridge is the most heavily trafficked freight bridge in the country. Now all that traffic will be diverted to the 55 bridge which was either built by the Romans or aliens, no one knows for sure
Quote:

Yes and it's a marvel of planning and engineering. The way it was the only major interstate bridge that narrows to one lane anywhere in America creating a permanent bottleneck resulting in tens of millions of lost productive hours was a true master stroke.
Quote:

It's 2 lanes actually going northbound. You're correct though when going southbound. I'd imagine though that being 2 lanes northbound would be negated from having that many vehicles slowing down to around 25 mph and turning to get to the bridge.
tigerdroppings
Cassius
Thanks Hawg, good info.

If I lived in Memphis, I might be at the store doing a bit of stocking up since the supply chain might be impacted for a while.
CedarAg
We better get a real infrastructure bill passed to address this. Screw all that extra **** they are trying to throw into the bill. We cannot afford to punt on fixing our aging infrastructure in this country. We have been punting for at least the last 20 years. The I-35 bridge collapsed in Minnesota in 2007. We still haven't done crap in this country overall.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
fooz said:

Nothing a little jb weld couldn't fix.
This is NASCAR country. Duct tape that mofo.
OnlyForNow
AG
That's not a crack, it looks completely broken and shifted.
titan
S

Quote:

This is bad. That bridge is the most heavily trafficked freight bridge in the country. Now all that traffic will be diverted to the 55 bridge which was either built by the Romans or aliens, no one knows for sure
FrioAg 00:
BigRobSA
Cassius said:

"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
LC Wannabe
S
Yeah, I think a barge broke loose during Hurricane Laura, and rammed into it.
aggiehawg
AG
Cassius said:

Thanks Hawg, good info.

If I lived in Memphis, I might be at the store doing a bit of stocking up since the supply chain might be impacted for a while.
Memphis is the FedEx hub too.

Here is where the break is located.

nu awlins ag
AG
titan said:

The one in Lake Charles probably has had its share of sea storm damage too, right? Didn't it have a vessel slam against one of its pylons about two hurricanes there ago?

You guys haven't seen or been on the Huey P. Long in NOLA. There's a "kink" in it where when they were building it, one side was higher than the other, thus the "kink" to tie them together. Anything happens to the Atchafalaya Spillway bridge then you talk about **** down....please child.
Rapier108
Quote:

Memphis is the FedEx hub too.
Thankfully that is FedEx Express so it is going to less of an impact if it was FedEx Ground.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.