i-40 bridge at Memphis closed due to crack found.

25,690 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AlaskanAg99
Cassius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at this pic, are there two cracks, where I've drawn the red boxes? The one on the left seems like the crack identified, but on the left, there is a definite offset. How does one fix this? Simply weld it back? Or run a complete new beam across next to the old one?

Fins Up!
AG
That crack is racist.
I can see the day when my hair’s full gray and I finally disappear….

But NOT yet!
Wrighty
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

I know nothing about engineering, but I find it interesting that the horizontal tear along the top is smooth, and the vertical tear down the side is jagged.

Could it be possible that someone cut it along the top, and stress caused it to tear down the side?
Good observation, that the horizontal top "tear" is smooth, and the sides are jagged. What this means usually, is that there was a fatigue crack along the smooth part (due to high repeated tension), and then when the top section gave way the sides quickly broke which gave the jagged appearance. Following this logic, the bottom would also have the jagged appearance.

Thinking of the structure: This is a tied arch design. This bottom chord that broke is a tension member that ties ends of the bridge from spreading apart. The tension forces would be significant.

Given that this bottom chord also has moment fixity across the support points and at the vertical hanger points, it also is subjected to bending forces. The top side of the broken tubes would be a location of tension due to the bending moments, and that bending tension would add to the overall bridge action tension at the top side of these tubes. So it seems plausible that this beam was subjected to high repeated moments along with high tensions, eventually leading to a fatigue crack at top surface. Add in some originally locked in erection forces, with some corrosion perhaps, sure.

It will be interesting to see what the reports show.

Valhalla
They should get the company that designed that Bridge in Florida that collapsed to do the repairs, they could handle it!
TexasAggie_02
AG
Cassius said:

Looking at this pic, are there two cracks, where I've drawn the red boxes? The one on the left seems like the crack identified, but on the left, there is a definite offset. How does one fix this? Simply weld it back? Or run a complete new beam across next to the old one?

That may just be alignment errors from stitching multiple images together. There is another spot in the upper left as well that isn't marked.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Captain Positivity said:

It is inspected every two years, not every year.

Read the article halfway up the page from your post. It was last inspected in September 2020.
TyHolden
AG
MouthBQ98
AG
Appears to be near the top of a slight arch in a span. I'd guess that would be where the box beam encounters the most stress. My guess is in other similar points in the bridge are similar stress or fatigue cracks slowly forming, and it needs much closer inspection.

They could probably collar this beam with an over designed collar without having to remove and replace the broken beam entirely, but there's always multiple options, and I'm sure they're going to have to look at doing the same for other similar points in the bridge if they find anything.
88planoAg
AG
Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

Did someone march a band over it, in step? Or did climate change cause the WIO frequency to shift to the resonance frequency of the bridge?
Nope. Bunch of people swaying in unison instead of alternating rows.
aggiehawg
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Appears to be near the top of a slight arch in a span. I'd guess that would be where the box beam encounters the most stress. My guess is in other similar points in the bridge are similar stress or fatigue cracks slowly forming, and it needs much closer inspection.

They could probably collar this beam with an over designed collar without having to remove and replace the broken beam entirely, but there's always multiple options, and I'm sure they're going to have to look at doing the same for other similar points in the bridge if they find anything.
I get that the bridge deck is actually held up by the cabling system but where these cracks are located could cause the cabling system to fail? See this.

Wouldn't that appear to be a load point at the center pylon?
MouthBQ98
AG
That's just the deck support beam. It bears the deck load above and provides some stability of course, but the arches do most of the work. This beam does provide stability between whatever forms the buttresses at either end I would suppose. Note that it didn't move much despite breaking clean through. The stress on it must have been fatigue from millions of tiny repetitive movements over time. Could be compression and relaxation from temperature expansion.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks.
Racer X
AG
My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
BQ_90
AG
Racer X said:

My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
blue star for Fast Times at Ridgemont High reference
halfastros81
AG
Looks like max shear point to me adjacent to the cantilever connection . Probably a fatigue failure that sheared once the cross sectional
Area of the beam was compromised by the fatigue. As previously noted much of the bridge is supported by the truss steel so didn't cause a collapse . With a barge
Mounted crane the connection could be fixed but they obviously Want to know what other problems exist elsewhere on the bridge. Mag particle inspection of the structural steel at strategic locations of max shear and max bending would be a bare minimum I'd think and I could see that taking months.
Towns03
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Note that it didn't move much despite breaking clean through.

this was my first thought. the beam must serve as a stabilizer but the bridge isn't going to fall down.
wbt5845
AG
Towns03 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Note that it didn't move much despite breaking clean through.

this was my first thought. the beam must serve as a stabilizer but the bridge isn't going to fall down.

Redundant load paths and plenty of margin on structure like this. But with that load path NFG, the rest of the bridge will see higher than designed loads and will fatigue too quickly.

Agree it looks like a shear gross section failure. The big MF traveling across when that gave way had to feel it. There's some long haul heavy equipment hauler sitting in his double wide right now looking at that photo thinking *ferk*
Little Rock Ag
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Little Rock Ag said:

Rumor has it that ARDOT inspected the bridge and gave it a pass, then TNDOT found the break just a short time later. Way to go Arkansas bridge inspectors....guess someone has to be 50th in the nation.
This rumor does not appear to be true. ARDOT is responsible for inspecting the bridge. Their contracted inspectors are the ones who called to have it shut down after noting the crack. Actually, two different inspectors contracted by ARDOT called Arkansas and Tennessee authorities at the same time to get traffic stopped.

https://wreg.com/news/frantic-911-calls-from-i-40-bridge-inspectors-reveal-seriousness-of-situation/

(Edited for clarity)
Thanks, and good to know. I can feel at least a TINY bit better about crossing the many bridges here in central Arkansas.
halfastros81
AG
He's probably in Charlotte by
Now and doesn't know a thing about it other than that was one hell of a bump on that bridge in Memphis
Little Rock Ag
AG
By the way, I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis was already the highway from hell. I hate, HATE, driving that stretch of boring, busy, and dangerous road.
aggiehawg
AG
Little Rock Ag said:

By the way, I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis was already the highway from hell. I hate, HATE, driving that stretch of boring, busy, and dangerous road.
Game day for the Liberty Bowl was not fun, when we went, I can tell you that. Visiting with The Hubs' parents outside of Little Rock and then drove to Memphis for the game and back.
Little Rock Ag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Little Rock Ag said:

Game day for the Liberty Bowl was not fun, when we went, I can tell you that. Visiting with The Hubs' parents outside of Little Rock and then drove to Memphis for the game and back.
Yeah, and when you arrive in Memphis, you're thinking, "I drove those 2 hours for THIS???" But, let's face it--driving anywhere east and south in Arkansas is not pleasant. I-530 to Pine Bluff..my goodness, talk about Detroit South.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Good observation, that the horizontal top "tear" is smooth, and the sides are jagged. What this means usually, is that there was a fatigue crack along the smooth part (due to high repeated tension), and then when the top section gave way the sides quickly broke which gave the jagged appearance. Following this logic, the bottom would also have the jagged appearance.

I would have guessed the fatigued portion would have been on the bottom of the chord cross section. The interior of an arc carries more stress and if this is in bending, the bottom would be in tension. I guess if there was built in compression on the underside, the top would have a bigger cycle in going from compression to tension and a logical place for a crack to propagate. The location along the beam makes all the sense in the world. The additional structure of the rivets would stiffen that section to make this the weakest section. I wonder if it's distance from the obvious joint caused this to be missed in inspection.

The use of rivets in that area and that it's a bridge make me think this is T1 plate. Of course welding would not be as easy as an E70XX electrode.

EDIT - Not a CE. Just BSing on a very interesting situation.
schmellba99
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Some offshore rig welder could fix that better than new in 48 hours for $10K.

The Feds will spend 2 weeks studying it and 3 months engineering an overly extravagant repair.
If only it were that simple
aggiehawg
AG
Little Rock Ag said:

aggiehawg said:

Little Rock Ag said:

Yeah, and when you arrive in Memphis, you're thinking, "I drove those 2 hours for THIS???" But, let's face it--driving anywhere east and south in Arkansas is not pleasant. I-530 to Pine Bluff..my goodness, talk about Detroit South.
Love, love, love Hot Springs, though. We just thought we would spend the night in Hot Springs on our way back to Texas one time. We were having so much fun staying at The Arlington that we stayed on for four more days.
TyHolden
AG
could something like this be detected earlier with some kind of IOT sensor?
Hey Nav
AG
One of my grandfathers worked on the "old bridge" - the Memphis and Arkansas Bridge.

He was living in a cabin on President's Island near the bridge that caught fire in 1954. What a way to go.

He was born in 1898, was a Navy vet of WWI and went back on active duty in 1942. Survived his ship being sunk in the Pacific and spent a couple of years in the hospital healing up from his wounds.

That old bridge is still there...
The Fife
fixer said:

OnlyForNow said:

That's not a crack, it looks completely broken and shifted.

Yeah not a crack that is an actual failure. Now the rest of the structure has to take that stress... so definitely more indications will be found.

They will have to UT every square inch of that bridge.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Some NDI techs are about to make some serious overtime!
joho
...next to that bridge is the Harahan Bridge, which is over 100 years old. It now has a really cool pedestrian/bicycle path that crosses all the way across to the Arkansas side. If you're unlucky enough to spend any time in downtown Memphis, that's a really neat thing to do. (If you're brave enough to get out of your locked car that is.)
91AggieLawyer
AG
Little Rock Ag said:

Its been that way for a while.

Can the crack be welded and then reinforcement steel be put on all 4 sides several feet each way of the crack to reinforce for a quick fix?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Besides the bridge closure and increasing traffic jams in the area, the US Coast Guard closed a portion of the lower Mississippi River near the bridge. There are "16 vessels with a total of 229 barrages in the queue," the coast guard said in a statement.

Quote:

When officials were asked when the bridge could reopen, Paul Degges, TDOT Chief Engineer, said, "right now, we don't know the answer to those questions. Certainly, it's plausible that this could be months rather than weeks."
Link
coupland boy
AG
atmtws said:

DRE06 said:

China would already be planning a new bridge, would have plans finalized in a week, and would have a new bridge built in 3 weeks.

US will **** this up. 5 years of permit and design reviews.

That's where we are.
Let's hope hope they use a different engineer than the one that built this:

1. I agree that some of us like to put other countries on a pedestal and say "look how good they are compared to us". I'll still take us provided we can stop going fill ****** with wokeness.

2. That image of 3 gorges has GOT to be an image issue - to that extent at least. It has shifted though.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Yeah, that looks more like a bad photo stitch than anything. Probably the one on the left was a larger, low res image and the one on the right was smaller, high res images stitched together with the resolution downgraded for that level of zoom. I bet you could zoom into the one on the right and those distortions go away.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Could be compression and relaxation from temperature expansion.
sloppyjoe
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Some offshore rig welder could fix that better than new in 48 hours for $10K.

The Feds will spend 2 weeks studying it and 3 months engineering an overly extravagant repair.

I need to meet that rig welder that can get his rig truck offshore.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.