i-40 bridge at Memphis closed due to crack found.

25,700 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AlaskanAg99
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rapier108 said:

Quote:

Memphis is the FedEx hub too.
Thankfully that is FedEx Express so it is going to less of an impact if it was FedEx Ground.
Did not know that. Thought it was still ground based. Thanks for the clarification.
Tex100
AG
Drove over that bridge last week.
riverrataggie
AG
Tex100 said:

Drove over that bridge last week.

Are you ok?
BQ_90
AG
has the CDC blamed this on covid yet
titan
S
ATXAg75 said:

We better get a real infrastructure bill passed to address this. Screw all that extra **** they are trying to throw into the bill. We cannot afford to punt on fixing our aging infrastructure in this country. We have been punting for at least the last 20 years. The I-35 bridge collapsed in Minnesota in 2007. We still haven't done crap in this country overall.
We need to get laws passed requiring clean bill options. One topic/law only, full chamber votes with out nitpicking. Military budgets would be another example. No riders.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Xiden's Amerikkka. Land of no gas, high inflation, anarchist riots, sham legal proceedings, border disasters, oatmeal, flower dresses, Middle East turmoil and no mean tweets!
Capstone
AG
Duct tape? Naw, NASCAR would use BearBond.
titan
S
nu awlins ag said:

titan said:

The one in Lake Charles probably has had its share of sea storm damage too, right? Didn't it have a vessel slam against one of its pylons about two hurricanes there ago?

You guys haven't seen or been on the Huey P. Long in NOLA. There's a "kink" in it where when they were building it, one side was higher than the other, thus the "kink" to tie them together. Anything happens to the Atchafalaya Spillway bridge then you talk about **** down....please child.
If that is the one over Pontchartrain, yes I have, and you are right. Nightmare scenario.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
nu awlins ag
AG
BQ_90 said:

has the CDC blamed this on covid yet

Fauci to comment on it later today. In order to fix it, they have to vaccinate it, TWICE.
Biz Ag
AG
Gigemags382
AG
Who needs duct tape when you've got 3 masks?
Rapier108
aggiehawg said:

Rapier108 said:

Quote:

Memphis is the FedEx hub too.
Thankfully that is FedEx Express so it is going to less of an impact if it was FedEx Ground.
Did not know that. Thought it was still ground based. Thanks for the clarification.
It will cause some issues, but only for express shipments being trucked into Memphis from the west. Most likely they'll reroute them to brides north and south.

Much of what comes into Memphis for the FedEx World Hub comes in by air with a decent amount coming in by freight train.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
BQ_90
AG
Biz Ag said:

if you're gonna fix it, fix it right

nu awlins ag
AG
titan said:

nu awlins ag said:

titan said:

The one in Lake Charles probably has had its share of sea storm damage too, right? Didn't it have a vessel slam against one of its pylons about two hurricanes there ago?

You guys haven't seen or been on the Huey P. Long in NOLA. There's a "kink" in it where when they were building it, one side was higher than the other, thus the "kink" to tie them together. Anything happens to the Atchafalaya Spillway bridge then you talk about **** down....please child.
If that is the one over Pontchartrain, yes I have, and you are right. Nightmare scenario.

No, I-10. 23 miles of it. The one over the lake is only 29 miles, but you can take I-55 or I-10 to get to the north shore.
CedarAg
titan said:

ATXAg75 said:

We better get a real infrastructure bill passed to address this. Screw all that extra **** they are trying to throw into the bill. We cannot afford to punt on fixing our aging infrastructure in this country. We have been punting for at least the last 20 years. The I-35 bridge collapsed in Minnesota in 2007. We still haven't done crap in this country overall.
We need to get laws passed requiring clean bill options. One topic/law only, full chamber votes with out nitpicking. Military budgets would be another example. No riders.
Yep, we need reform big time. Our government is broken.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Biden's bridges...
Tramp96
Send Spicoli...

LoudestWHOOP!
AG

Sully Dog
Is her handle really Mempho News Lady?

My money says she likes to party
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
ABATTBQ11
AG
riverrataggie said:

That's more than a crack

Plumbers have cracks. That's a ****ing break.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Both Greta and AOC are blaming Global Climate Change. The metal heated up too much and developed a weak spot. Now we have less than 8 years and probably about 3 months in Memphis proper.
aggiehawg
AG
From TD again. A good question.

Quote:

The TDOT Chief Engineer said the inspector called local 911 to have the bridge immediately shut down as soon as he saw that crack.

My question now is why hasn't the national news outlets reported this? It's a bigger story than the pipeline hack.
When freight traffic and Mississippi River traffic is halted or slowed way way down, that will cause even more distribution problems for everything.

More shortages, higher prices, more inflation. Starting to feel like this.

The Brazos Kid
Drive over that bridge too many times to count pulling up to 45,000 pounds of freight.

Can't say I miss it.
Gator92
AG
BQ_90 said:

Biz Ag said:

if you're gonna fix it, fix it right

Once patched a lower unit w/ JB and a beer can. True story.
Squadron7
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Both Greta and AOC are blaming Global Climate Change. The metal heated up too much and developed a weak spot. Now we have less than 8 years and probably about 3 months in Memphis proper.

Fire can't melt steel....but Climate Change can!
joho
That's a very Memphis question to ask, haha... (I grew up there but I "got to Texas as fast as I could!")
It's a crummy city with an inferiority complex.. everytime something happens there with national news implications that gets overlooked or ignored nationally, they're so frustrated! And it really does seem to happen. lolz
Boo Weekley
We just need to appoint more transgendereds and non-binaries.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Squadron7 said:

Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Fire can't melt steel....but Climate Change can!
aggiehawg
AG
joho said:

That's a very Memphis question to ask, haha... (I grew up there but I "got to Texas as fast as I could!")
It's a crummy city with an inferiority complex.. everytime something happens there with national news implications that gets overlooked or ignored nationally, they're so frustrated! And it really does seem to happen. lolz
Been to Memphis a few times. Mostly for bowl games. Wasn't all that impressed, frankly.
azul_rain
This generation is full of *****s, just keep using it until the bridge breaks
fka ftc
nu awlins ag said:

titan said:

I had to commute over the Huey back in 2001. Traffic always backed up in the mornings. What made that bridge terrifying was being stuck on it as a freight train went over (between the two roadways). You just sat there hundred feet in the air bouncing up and down. No way that thing does have stress cracks.

Note on the Atchafalaya ever going out... this effectively happened in 2005 with the I-10 bridge east of NO washed out during Katrina. The trucks rerouted mostly t0 I-40 and the traffic between Little Rock and Memphis was unbearable.

Back to Memphis, I hate crossing the I-55 or "Old Bridge" as the approaches on the TN side are diabolical as Hawg referenced,
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
TexasRebel
AG
That ain't going to buff out.
peacedude
AG
Crack with a side of glue? Near Memphis? Yeah, baby!

titan
S

They were probably too busy spending money trying to tear down Forrest and other Civil War statues.
FrioAg 00:
V8Aggie
AG
Just slap some bondo on it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.