Houston ICU is 90% full and expected to exceed capacity in just 2 weeks

35,467 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Onceaggie2.0
ntxVol
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nortex97 said:

MassAggie97 said:

Quote:

Deaths continue to plummet from pneumonia/flu/wuhan flu;

I don't think that's an accurate reading of the graphic. That graphic appears to be updating by week; in almost every case, there is a lag in reported deaths for official determination from health officials. The breadth of that wave as well as the height of the peak are likely to both adjust wider and higher in the coming weeks.

Also, this graphic seems to lay waste to the commonly repeated falsehood of "it's the same as the flu". COVID 19 seems to be more contagious than the flu, and of course there is no vaccine, which is why deaths from COVID now are double what could be expected from a normal flu season.
The red peak is plummeting, as are flu deaths, it's a fact, because the summer is always lowest.

Your second paragraph/point is an attempt to enter a straw man argument I am not making, nor has the board generally made. Wuhan flu was not present in previous years and has added to deaths this year from pneumonia like illnesses, we all understand that, though I think the actual mortality is around the same as the regular flu for people who contract it. It's worse for the elderly though, as Cuomo's nursing home victims would attest if still alive. What is true is that total deaths are a far cry lower than all of the 'models' from March-April warning of millions of dead Americans.

Houston has peaked, as has Texas, likely. You can sell the panic still on the coronabro board, probably. OP was obviously factually wrong 2 weeks ago.

That is great news and kind of what I was expecting/hoping. The two weeks are up, time to open everything back up.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
ETFan said:

Gold Star ntxVol said:

They are not using any phase 2 beds according to the July 5th graphic I posted, not sure where you're getting that information.

As for jockeying elective procedures based on bed availability, that is nothing new. It happens every flu season. Yes, not normal for this time of year but still something they have experienced in the past.

The evidence to this point is becoming clearer everyday that this is not much more than another type of flu bug. Nothing suggests this is going to be any worse than the 2017-18 novel flu pandemic.

The fear mongering is getting old.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/

From TMC, I'm getting all of my numbers from their website.

I don't really want to enter in to a side tangent about flu, but this has killed more than the 2017-18 flu, by 42k using the high end estimate for 17-18 deaths. So not sure what you're talking about. Also, a large chunk of flu capacity is already built in to our system. COVID isn't/wasn't yet.

If comparing to 2018, please show testing and reporting protocols for both. You are jumping to conclusions that aren't possible to discern from that graph.
FriscoKid
AG
Obviously no one is dying because Abbott made us wear masks 5 days ago. It's simple science guys.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
The best defense against Covid is getting 40k unmasked people to protest and march in unity with Turner and Alcevedo.
ETFan
Troutslime said:

ETFan said:

Gold Star ntxVol said:

They are not using any phase 2 beds according to the July 5th graphic I posted, not sure where you're getting that information.

As for jockeying elective procedures based on bed availability, that is nothing new. It happens every flu season. Yes, not normal for this time of year but still something they have experienced in the past.

The evidence to this point is becoming clearer everyday that this is not much more than another type of flu bug. Nothing suggests this is going to be any worse than the 2017-18 novel flu pandemic.

I don't really want to enter in to a side tangent about flu, but this has killed more than the 2017-18 flu, by 42k using the high end estimate for 17-18 deaths. So not sure what you're talking about. Also, a large chunk of flu capacity is already built in to our system. COVID isn't/wasn't yet.

If comparing to 2018, please show testing and reporting protocols for both. You are jumping to conclusions that aren't possible to discern from that graph.
What graph? I posted TMC ICU usage. My comment about flu is unrelated to the chart I posted?

Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying.
ntxVol
ETFan said:

Gold Star ntxVol said:

You can use global data to skew the numbers if you like but everyone knows that data is tainted by a few states who handled this thing very very poorly.

During the 2017-2018 flu season 11,917 people in TX died from influenza like illnesses, current mortality rate for the Chinese flu suggest we won't reach that level.

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/IDCU/disease/influenza/surveillance/2017-2018-Texas-Influenza-Surveillance-Activity-Report/18Wk39Oct05.pdf

Nationwide (could not find state specific stats) hospitalizations for the Chinese flu stand at about 330K so far. During the 2017-2018 flu pandemic there were over 800K hospitalizations.

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_3.html

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden-averted/2017-2018.htm

I see no evidence to suggest the current hospitalization load from the Chinese flu is anything beyond what our medical system has experienced in the past. I see no evidence that the populations most at risk from the Chinese flu are that much different from the at risk populations during the 2017-18 flu pandemic.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Two more days before we are out of room.
Amazing Moves
You mean meemaw and peepaw just might make it?
Credible Source
AG
Just now joining this thread, did the hospitals get overwhelmed and everyone die?
Pookers
AG
Carl Hungus said:

Just now joining this thread, did the hospitals get overwhelmed and everyone die?
Everyone's dead man.
nortex97
AG
We're just two more weeks from seeing the whole system collapse unless everyone both stays home and wears a mask, including to bed.

8 percent of phase 2 beds were occupied on the 14th.

Hospitalizations per week for covid are down; percent of tests run that are positive is also down from 16 to around 11-13.

The good news is I hear parking is really easy to find in/around TMC right now!
akm91
AG
Did Houston ICU exceed capacity?
Get Off My Lawn
I've seen stuff recently about Houston hospitals being over capacity.

What I haven't seen is how much of that is the artificial bubble associated with earlier behaviors (such as restricting elective surgeries), how much is due to resources being reserved as covid surge capacity, and how much is the actual active covid cases.

If you took standard operating volumes, and overlay active covid patients - what does that additional stress look like?
Decay
AG
So we had an increase that was handled effectively by the hospital system? And our death rate is still 1/10 of NYC?

What a great, positive update. Way to go Texas!
Satellite of Love
akm91 said:

At 21 days now, Houston no longer exists.....
cmag
Decay said:

So we had an increase that was handled effectively by the hospital system? And our death rate is still 1/10 of NYC?

What a great, positive update. Way to go Texas

Weird. Someone being positive. Yes, still shifting capacity, and last update I saw for my hospital was we were a little over 90% capacity in ICUs and medsurge. Best news is our numbers seem to be leveling off.
Onceaggie2.0
Just give it 2 more weeks
Decay
AG
cmag said:

Decay said:

What a great, positive update. Way to go Texas

Weird. Someone being positive. Yes, still shifting capacity, and last update I saw for my hospital was we were a little over 90% capacity in ICUs and medsurge. Best news is our numbers seem to be leveling off.
I think I'm going to just be bubbly-positive about COVID and see if that helps change the world from being so stupid and scared about it.

One post at a time!
FriscoKid
AG
nortex97 said:

We're just two more weeks from seeing the whole system collapse unless everyone both stays home and wears a mask, including to bed.

8 percent of phase 2 beds were occupied on the 14th.

Hospitalizations per week for covid are down; percent of tests run that are positive is also down from 16 to around 11-13.

The good news is I hear parking is really easy to find in/around TMC right now!

I still want to know how many are in the hospital with Covid vs because of it. I bet this chart still isn't telling the whole story.
richardag
Gold Star ntxVol said:

ETFan said:

Gold Star ntxVol said:

You can use global data to skew the numbers if you like but everyone knows that data is tainted by a few states who handled this thing very very poorly.

During the 2017-2018 flu season 11,917 people in TX died from influenza like illnesses, current mortality rate for the Chinese flu suggest we won't reach that level.

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/IDCU/disease/influenza/surveillance/2017-2018-Texas-Influenza-Surveillance-Activity-Report/18Wk39Oct05.pdf

Nationwide (could not find state specific stats) hospitalizations for the Chinese flu stand at about 330K so far. During the 2017-2018 flu pandemic there were over 800K hospitalizations.

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_3.html

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden-averted/2017-2018.htm

I see no evidence to suggest the current hospitalization load from the Chinese flu is anything beyond what our medical system has experienced in the past. I see no evidence that the populations most at risk from the Chinese flu are that much different from the at risk populations during the 2017-18 flu pandemic.

Thank you for posting this information, very informative.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
nortex97
AG
FYI for everyone; Houston has survived. Hospitalizations continue to decline.

65 percent of total ICU bed capacities (phase 1, 2, 3) are occupied.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/overview-of-tmc-icu-bed-capacity-and-occupancy/

akm91
AG
Satellite of Love said:

akm91 said:

At 21 days now, Houston no longer exists.....
Onceaggie2.0
OP did Houston exceed hospital capacity Ill wait for your response?
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
I assume numbers are down because the population has been thinned through mass death due to COVID. Is that correct?
Stat Monitor Repairman
La Commandante is in her chambers pouring over the data and formulas trying to figure out where they went wrong. Report should be ready in about 2-weeks.
japantiger
S
FPS_Dough said:

OP did Houston exceed hospital capacity Ill wait for your response?
If the OP is from Houston, we may not here from him since Houston no longer exists.
Earl_Rudder
AG
Toptierag2018 said:

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/proposed-early-warning-monitoring-and-mitigation-metrics/

What's the latest orders put in place in Harris County? I'm not up to date on them.

Houston is one of the biggest if not the biggest hub for medical care. This is scary.
Did you miss the post a few weeks ago where a Houston Doctor gave an interview and said that last June, in 2019, the Houston ICU was at ~95% capacity... with no COVID?

MaroonStain
AG
Pookers said:

Carl Hungus said:

Everyone's dead man.

We are all bots. Bunnies, roaches, octopus and otters are fighting for control of New Earth.

There may be a few colonies of humans in the Marfa area.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Ag_of_08
AG
This thread is currently looking like the OB thread on jeep dude...
AgGrad99
AG
MaroonStain said:

Pookers said:

Carl Hungus said:

Everyone's dead man.
We are all bots. Bunnies, roaches, octopus and otters are fighting for control of New Earth.

There may be a few colonies of humans in the Marfa area.
Houston now....

riverrataggie
AG
How many times do people need to be wrong?
RAB91
Houston is barely hanging on. This is what I saw when out earlier.

Onceaggie2.0
sorry for the bump but is Houston still standing?
PneumAg
riverrataggie said:

How many times do people need to be wrong?

Just for another two weeks. Then I'm sure they will finally be right.
MaxPower
I live in EaDo. Here's the view looking over Buffalo Bayou.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.