Houston ICU is 90% full and expected to exceed capacity in just 2 weeks

35,478 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Onceaggie2.0
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bill said:

What is causing that spike in Non-Covid use?
Nothing. Hospitals tend to operate at near full capacity under normal conditions.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
BigRobSA
Cstrickland05 said:

Bill Bigfoot said:

Looks like the problem is the 64% of the beds are used by non COVID patients...Need to get those numbers down. What is causing that spike in Non-Covid use?

People just get sick.

Why don't they ****ing wear a mask!?

"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
FrontPorchAg
I was coming here to post that this isn't even the average patient census.

OP is not top tier, username does not check out.
BigRobSA
waitwhat? said:

I

DON'T

CARE

OPEN

EVERYTHING

THIS

ISN'T

WORTH

IT

MONICA!
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
FriscoKid
AG
Rev was saying basically the same thing on the CV board. I'm glad that you guys/gals think that you are starting to figure out an effective treatment plan.
agforlife97
AG
Bill Bigfoot said:

Looks like the problem is the 64% of the beds are used by non COVID patients...Need to get those numbers down. What is causing that spike in Non-Covid use?
Likely they are going to have to scale back elective procedures again in the bigger cities. But there are a lot of people that are pretty sick with non-covid things because they've been putting off care for several months.
munch96
AG
30wedge
Toptierag2018 said:

What's the latest orders put in place in Harris County? I'm not up to date on them.

You could go to their website or give them a call.
Bill Bigfoot
AG
I was being somewhat facetious. I know that they need to operate somewhat close to capacity and I know people get sick. I was just pointing out that there are more than double the amount of NON COVID patients, but somehow the coronabros are blaming only COVID
Gigem314
AG
munch96 said:

"Get ready for a surprise..."
Not a Bot
AG
Bill Bigfoot said:

Just your normal every day illnesses. Heart attacks, sepsis, non-Covid pneumonia, renal failure, etc. This is also combined with people who have been delaying care for the last month or two. ICUs stay at a certain capacity regardless of epidemics.

I personally had two different patients within the last week who ran out of diabetes meds in March or April and are coming in with sugars on the 600s. Absolutely unacceptable from a personal standpoint that they didn't fill their meds or reach out to a Teledoc to get a refill, but that's how a lot of people live. Also seeing a ton of people coming in for uncontrolled hypertension when they ran out of blood pressure meds. Again, why they didn't just reach out for a refill while they were at home is beyond me, although many of those people are lower income folks who lost their jobs and often, even while employed, have trouble paying for their medications.

I've also seen many people skipping rounds of dialysis out of fear of going to the clinic. That's some thing that can be really bad and end up in an extended hospital stay.
TxAggieBand85
AG
hbtheduce said:

Didn't Houston build, then tear down, temporary space to house covid patients?

https://abc13.com/nrg-park-coronavirus-center-medical-shelter-covid-19-testing-patients-houston/6219473/

Sadly, yes temporary care was removed. Was one of the few good decisions that our county Judge Lina Hidalgo made was to erect and be ready for the wave. After it didn't pan out, the temporary hospital was removed.

My RN neighbor who cares for COVID patients says they are full. There are lots of beds in Harris County, but with the resumption of normal semi normal activities the cases are rising as expected.

Good thing that protesting does not spread COVID or it would be much worse. /sentence is satire
Bubba smollett
Drive by trolling should result in a ban
TXAG 05
AG
Rapier108 said:

Bill said:

What is causing that spike in Non-Covid use?
Nothing. Hospitals tend to operate at near full capacity under normal conditions.

This. Empty beds are bad for business
samurai_science
Why the fear around a virus less deadly than the flu?

Maroon Dawn
AG
Moxley said:

We've also been seeing a lot of rapid turnover of our Covid floor, and that's great news. Anecdotally, early on the outbreak we were keeping people for a week or so even if they didn't need to be in ICU. Now with some better ideas of how to treat and people noting symptoms and being admitted earlier, we've been able to stave off a lot of people needing higher level of care.

I think blood thinners, plasma, remdesivir, and dexamethasone is going to significantly help reduce our mortality numbers. Supply of remdesivir is going to be an ongoing issue, but I think the tide really is turning in terms of our ability to treat people once they get to the hospital.

That does not mean the healthcare system can necessarily support a massive surge, though. The goal of flattening the curve was to just spread the infection is over time so we have a chance to treat as many people as possible.

Concur, now that we know to get folks on anticoagulants and protocol to get ahead of the cytokine storm, we've only had one COVID death since April and that's really good news
Maroon Dawn
AG
Bill Bigfoot said:

Surgery has a huge backlog of cases from the shutdown so most ORs are running at high capacity right now.

More surgery = more post op patients taking up beds which is a large percentage of regular business for most hospitals

And note not all just regular medsurge beds either. A lot of ours go to the ICU post op so they take up space there too
richardag
Mtn_Guide said:

I was coming here to post that this isn't even the average patient census.

OP is not top tier, username does not check out.
Made me laugh, appears toptier has a much inflated view of himself.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
30wedge
I have a solution to the problem. If the Houston ICU gets 100% full, put bunk beds in place of the existing bed and it will then be around 50% full.
BusterAg
AG
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

I don't know how to post that line graph, but it sure doesn't seem very scary to me. It looks like we are almost done here.
Rockdoc
AG
Does this OP just make a post and then just haul ass, never to respond?
mm98
AG
Rockdoc said:

Does this OP just make a post and then just haul ass, never to respond?
That was prob the intent
damiond
The pop response on here sucks. People need to take this issue more seriously and without panicking. You know, a measured approach. This is a real problem that can get out of hand but can also be reasonably mitigated without killing our economy and having us all be recluses if people exercise civic responsibility which seems unlikely if the attitudes presented here are prevalent. Now to expand on the OP, only about a quarter of those ICU cases are COVID and H-town has an immediate plan to increase ICU beds by almost 40% if the need arises.
Carnwellag2
Toptierag2018 said:

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/proposed-early-warning-monitoring-and-mitigation-metrics/

What's the latest orders put in place in Harris County? I'm not up to date on them.

Houston is one of the biggest if not the biggest hub for medical care. This is scary.
isn't it usually always at around 85-90% capacity.....i mean hospitals are a business so being empty doesn't pay
InternetFan02
AG
typical F16 covid thread

-obvious trolling OP
-most responses are mocking and shooting down the OP troll
-buried in the nonsense are a few useful charts and anecdotes from knowledgeable and reasonable people

this is how political conversation occurs here...I'll take it
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Toptierag2018 said:

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/proposed-early-warning-monitoring-and-mitigation-metrics/

Houston is one of the biggest if not the biggest hub for medical care. This is scary.

It's only scary if you give a $h!t.

Fortunately, I do not.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
wreckncrew
AG
I can concur with people waiting to go in to see the doctor. But for me, it wasnt my choice. I had an issue that my PCP had some concerns. I was supposed to go in for a follow up appointment in April. Well, all this crap happened, and my appointment was postponed until mid may.

Needless to say, there are definitely other people who are in worse shape then me who were not going in to get checked on. So it does make sense that the hospitals are trying to catch up.
Bondag
AG
Bill Bigfoot said:

People that did not go to the doctor for 3 months that have underlying health issues.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Moxley said:

We've also been seeing a lot of rapid turnover of our Covid floor, and that's great news. Anecdotally, early on the outbreak we were keeping people for a week or so even if they didn't need to be in ICU. Now with some better ideas of how to treat and people noting symptoms and being admitted earlier, we've been able to stave off a lot of people needing higher level of care.

I know people just want to talk case counts and hospitalizations increasing, but from everything I have found on the topic, the dwell time for the average COVID admit is way down. That is a good thing. Glad to hear you are seeing the same.
Teddy KGB
AG
damiond said:

The pop response on here sucks. People need to take this issue more seriously and without panicking. You know, a measured approach. This is a real problem that can get out of hand but can also be reasonably mitigated without killing our economy and having us all be recluses if people exercise civic responsibility which seems unlikely if the attitudes presented here are prevalent. Now to expand on the OP, only about a quarter of those ICU cases are COVID and H-town has an immediate plan to increase ICU beds by almost 40% if the need arises.

A sane and rational post thank you.
Fireman
AG
God's still in charge. Have COVID-19 in your system and it's your time to meet Jesus he will come for you. Have COVID-19 in your system and you still have work left to do on Earth, you will be fine.

The only thing that has changed is our research and medical expertise has advanced to the point that we can look into the cellular levels of the virus and give the grim reaper a name, so the "coronavirus" is born to be the boogeyman.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you."

Deuteronomy 31:6
Teddy KGB
Teddy KGB
AG
Houston regional hospital Covid census.

Internetting is hard trying this again.
TexAgs91
AG
In before "Exponential" and other riveting Forum 16 analysis.

Stop politicizing hydroxychloroquin and treat these patients. This doesn't have to be a big issue.
B-1 83
AG
At present staffing levels, or so I've been told. Call people back to work.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.