Church Attendance and the COVID Excuse

10,907 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SteveA
TxAgPreacher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

Which of course don't deserve to live.
What a nasty motive to attribute to someone. You should be ashamed. You're not arguing in good faith.

You just said in a reply to me that, "they are about to die anyway." Pretty clear you don't give a damn about them.

What I said was true. It's a sad fact of life. You saying I don't care is a horrible thing to say. It's not true, and It makes you a bad person to make a baseless accusation like that.
You have accused both of us of being bad people but all we have done is point out that you posted that people that died from covid 'were dying anyway'. That was an incredibly insensitive thing to say, not to mention that it's a very dubious claim. You are aware that people live into old age with 'comorbidities'?

just because you think I was insensitive doesn't mean I dont care. It's not honest, and it was a horrible thing to say. I disagree with you and like I said you're not arguing in good faith. I think you're wrong about the facts, and your perspective. That's fine, but to attribute that motive is wrong.
Macarthur
TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

What a nasty motive to attribute to someone. You should be ashamed. You're not arguing in good faith.

You just said in a reply to me that, "they are about to die anyway." Pretty clear you don't give a damn about them.

What I said was true. It's a sad fact of life. You saying I don't care is a horrible thing to say. It's not true, and It makes you a bad person to make a baseless accusation like that.
You have accused both of us of being bad people but all we have done is point out that you posted that people that died from covid 'were dying anyway'. That was an incredibly insensitive thing to say, not to mention that it's a very dubious claim. You are aware that people live into old age with 'comorbidities'?

just because you think I was insensitive doesn't mean I dont care. It's not honest, and it was a horrible thing to say. I disagree with you and like I said you're not arguing in good faith. I think you're wrong about the facts, and your perspective. That's fine, but to attribute that motive is wrong.
Well, you said what you said. I guess everyone can read it and come to their own conclusion.

I want to know what 'fact' I am wrong about.

I want to know what I have argued in bad faith.
TxAgPreacher
S
Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

Well, you said what you said. I guess everyone can read it and come to their own conclusion.

I want to know what 'fact' I am wrong about.

I want to know what I have argued in bad faith.
Misprepresing me as someone who doesn't care for those who are about to die. I've spent countless hours in nursing homes with people I don't even know.

I think your statistics are all misleading propaganda. It may have been someone else that was using wrong statistics. It's hard to argue with multiple people at once.

Besides the fact that I said people who are sick don't have to go to church, you are trying to paint it like i don't care.

It's just wrong.
Macarthur
TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

Cool. You realize they didn't have germ theory in the first century, right?

The almighty knew about it and gave the Jews rules for the unclean. They mirror closely our CDC guidelines.

Also the sabbath was made for man not man for sabbath. In cases of emergency I have no problem with suspending service.

Covid never was never really that deadly. Based on what we know now, it's more than 99% survivable. I stand by what I said.

If you're skipping church out of convenience, you're sinning.

If you're sick stay home. Simple as that. Same as it's been since before the first century.

That's a very loaded statement. You do realize that 1% of 350m is 3.5m people? People love to use that 99% survival rate but don't really dive into what that really means.

And death is not the only metric of damage done by this. We're still learning but as many as 30% of folks that got moderate to severe symptoms have what they're calling long covid which will have life long affects.

Bad take not everyone will catch it, and its actually significantly lower than 1 percent.

Long covid is extremely rare.

75% who died had 4 comorbidities or more.

It's over 1% of those who caught Covid. Long Covid affects millions. And those with 4 comorbidities are equal to you in value.

Sure they are, but they are about to die anyways, and are what we call shut ins. They don't get to come to church much anyways.

For the vast majority of people it's about as serious as the flu. For young and healthy people they need to be at work, school, and church for their mental, and spiritual health.

This is the part that I object. There are thousands of people that have died from Covid that were NOT 'about to die anyway'. That is incredibly insesitive and factually incorrect. People live with ailments for decades. I really think you need to rethink this take.
TxAgPreacher
S
Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

Cool. You realize they didn't have germ theory in the first century, right?

The almighty knew about it and gave the Jews rules for the unclean. They mirror closely our CDC guidelines.

Also the sabbath was made for man not man for sabbath. In cases of emergency I have no problem with suspending service.

Covid never was never really that deadly. Based on what we know now, it's more than 99% survivable. I stand by what I said.

If you're skipping church out of convenience, you're sinning.

If you're sick stay home. Simple as that. Same as it's been since before the first century.

That's a very loaded statement. You do realize that 1% of 350m is 3.5m people? People love to use that 99% survival rate but don't really dive into what that really means.

And death is not the only metric of damage done by this. We're still learning but as many as 30% of folks that got moderate to severe symptoms have what they're calling long covid which will have life long affects.

Bad take not everyone will catch it, and its actually significantly lower than 1 percent.

Long covid is extremely rare.

It's over 1% of those who caught Covid. Long Covid affects millions. And those with 4 comorbidities are equal to you in value.

Sure they are, but they are about to die anyways, and are what we call shut ins. They don't get to come to church much anyways.

For the vast majority of people it's about as serious as the flu. For young and healthy people they need to be at work, school, and church for their mental, and spiritual health.

This is the part that I object. There are thousands of people that have died from Covid that were NOT 'about to die anyway'. That is incredibly insesitive and factually incorrect. People live with ailments for decades. I really think you need to rethink this take.

I disagree. I think you're wrong and factually incorrect. I really think your takes like yours lead to more harm than good. I think your facts are wrong.

These shutdowns were inhumane, and I know many who where unable to bury loved ones, go to the funeral, or be by their side when they died.

My grandmother died early because the doctor refused to see her because of covid. I was unable to be with loved ones on the hospital for policies that made no sense.

You may not support all the covid insanity, but it should be dismissed for the cold that it is now.

Viruses mutate to be less deadly and more infectious. It wasn't that deadly to start with. We know that now. It's even less deadly now.

We have to get back to normal. We don't have a choice.
TxAgPreacher
S
Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

COVID and livestreaming are absolutely becoming a lame excuse for some.

If you're skipping church out of convenience at this point you are sinning.
Do they get a pass if they make sure their tithe gets delivered on time?

How about this uncalled for shot.
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

Again, this is not correct. 75% of the vaccinated population that has died had 4 or more comorbidities. This is not the case for the unvaccinated.
Macarthur
Macarthur said:

RAB91 said:

Sapper Redux said:

Wrangler said:

I know quite a few folks that used to attend church regularly before COVID started, but now skip church using COVID as the excuse. They won't go to church, but continue to go to work, the grocery store, etc. Guess they were looking for an excuse to come along. Just an observation.

Pretty sure it's hard to eat without a job and without getting groceries. I'm not sure standing indoors in often poorly ventilated buildings while dozens of people sing at the top of their lungs is the definition of caution.
Unless you're in a very at risk group at this point (that can't get the vaccine), this is the very definition of living in fear.

To the original comments.... my diocese just reinstated the Sunday mass 'obligation'. I think it will take a long time (if ever) to get attendance back to where it was. Too many people have gotten comfortable not going to church for it to change soon.
Baloney.

Friday, I think it was, we had over 3000 covid deaths in the US. That's a 9/11.

And not just using the death metric, how about people that don't get time off but have to leave their job because they're positive. That's 5 days, best case. That's a full week's paycheck. I can't believe some people don't get this.
Another 3800 dead Wednesday. Again, it's mind boggling what we did to make sure 9/11 never happened again, yet fairly insignificant personal inconveniences are so controversial.
aggietony2010
AG
Macarthur said:

Macarthur said:

RAB91 said:

Sapper Redux said:

Wrangler said:

I know quite a few folks that used to attend church regularly before COVID started, but now skip church using COVID as the excuse. They won't go to church, but continue to go to work, the grocery store, etc. Guess they were looking for an excuse to come along. Just an observation.

Pretty sure it's hard to eat without a job and without getting groceries. I'm not sure standing indoors in often poorly ventilated buildings while dozens of people sing at the top of their lungs is the definition of caution.
Unless you're in a very at risk group at this point (that can't get the vaccine), this is the very definition of living in fear.

To the original comments.... my diocese just reinstated the Sunday mass 'obligation'. I think it will take a long time (if ever) to get attendance back to where it was. Too many people have gotten comfortable not going to church for it to change soon.
Baloney.

And not just using the death metric, how about people that don't get time off but have to leave their job because they're positive. That's 5 days, best case. That's a full week's paycheck. I can't believe some people don't get this.
Another 3800 dead Wednesday. Again, it's mind boggling what we did to make sure 9/11 never happened again, yet fairly insignificant personal inconveniences are so controversial.

The is such a disingenuous false comparison and you know it. You should be ashamed for making it twice on the same thread.
Aggrad08
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

This is a mathematical argument show your work. You will find it's not true.

diehard03
You are welcome to challenge him back on "fairly insignificant personal inconveniences", but Macarthur is hardly disingenuous and he should be ashamed for nothing.

We are all better for his continued presence on this board.
Redstone
AG
Murder is a direct cause of death. Happens with intention and clear consequence.

COVID, like all respiratory viruses, CAN be a direct cause of death, but how often do other MEDICAL factors, especially age and obesity, matter very significantly? In 99% of cases? More?

When we make comparisons of heated and difficult subjects, should we not ensure a clear and useful comparison?
diehard03
Quote:

When we make comparisons of heated and difficult subjects, should we not ensure a clear and useful comparison?

Who says it's not useful? A 9/11 is happening daily we all took on significant lifestyle changes in the wake of it back in 2001. Now, daily "version" is happening and we cannot be asked.
AGC
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Who says it's not useful? A 9/11 is happening daily we all took on significant lifestyle changes in the wake of it back in 2001. Now, daily "version" is happening and we cannot be asked.

Now do abortion.
diehard03
Quote:

Now do abortion.

Abortion is an evil abomination. What's wrong with you?
AGC
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Now do abortion.

It kills more and also requires these minimal life changes. We're all highly attuned to our tribes' priorities and this is no different. The 9/11 comparison is selectively used when someone wants to elicit a response for their pet cause. Covid is macarthur's.

Edit: people in nursing homes usually die within a year or being put there (the majority within 6 months if memory serves). Mortality has always been high for this group. It's not a lack of sympathy but an understanding of life expectancy that makes the death of the young tragic and the old unavoidable. Hence giving a parachute to the old and keeping the young to die in a plane crash seems a better comparison. The highest risk group is not the majority of the population but people whose minor illnesses, no matter the cause, will turn into big things. If you say we're having a 9/11 of extremely unhealthy or elderly people it's tragic but also unavoidable; it is the nature of age and health conditions.
Macarthur
aggietony2010 said:

Macarthur said:

Macarthur said:

RAB91 said:

Sapper Redux said:

Wrangler said:

Baloney.

The is such a disingenuous false comparison and you know it. You should be ashamed for making it twice on the same thread.
Certainly not ashamed.

The comparison is not that Covid and 9/11 are the same thing. The issue is what we viewed as necessary, as a country, to prevent one but not the other. It must not be the number of deaths because we're having that number of deaths daily, and at this point, these deaths are almost completely avoidable.

Of course, you already knew what I meant....
diehard03
Quote:

It kills more and also requires these minimal life changes. We're all highly attuned to our tribes' priorities and this is no different. The 9/11 comparison is selectively used when someone wants to elicit a response for their pet cause. Covid is macarthur's.

You are right in that we are highly attuned to our tribe's priorities which are often biased by our personal attachment to the effect of the item discussed. 9/11 gave our liberty erosions a face to blame. Covid has no face to blame to a majority of people affected. if 9/11 wouldn't have had no visuals attached to it, we probably would have felt the same way about it as we do now.

Now, I will always be confused by the Christian response of "meh, oh well, people die. if they die faster, but who cares". Its one thing to disagree that the death rate is caused by our gathering. It's another thing to embrace it. Maybe simpler put: we should desire that no one die of it, but we can disagree on how we get there.
Macarthur
AGC said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Now do abortion.

Edit: people in nursing homes usually die within a year or being put there (the majority within 6 months if memory serves). Mortality has always been high for this group. It's not a lack of sympathy but an understanding of life expectancy that makes the death of the young tragic and the old unavoidable. Hence giving a parachute to the old and keeping the young to die in a plane crash seems a better comparison. The highest risk group is not the majority of the population but people whose minor illnesses, no matter the cause, will turn into big things. If you say we're having a 9/11 of extremely unhealthy or elderly people it's tragic but also unavoidable; it is the nature of age and health conditions.

Man, I just find this very wrong minded.

Your analogy assumes that young and healthy taking certain steps (vaccine, masks) to protect the most vulnerable is some sort of death sentence.

And lastly, the whole point is that having a 9/11 everyday, regardless of their health status, WAS avoidable. If you want to go all the way back to the beginning when one administration literally handed the next administration a HANDBOOK on how to deal with pandemics, and it was completely ignored, this thing was almost 99.99999% avoidable. Beyond that, there were still fatal missteps that could have significantly lowered death rates and time frame of this deal.

powerbelly
AG

Quote:

this thing was almost 99.99999% avoidable

If this was remotely true the whole world wouldn't have been impacted.
aggietony2010
AG
Macarthur said:

AGC said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Now do abortion.

Man, I just find this very wrong minded.

Your analogy assumes that young and healthy taking certain steps (vaccine, masks) to protect the most vulnerable is some sort of death sentence.

And lastly, the whole point is that having a 9/11 everyday, regardless of their health status, WAS avoidable. If you want to go all the way back to the beginning when one administration literally handed the next administration a HANDBOOK on how to deal with pandemics, and it was completely ignored, this thing was almost 99.99999% avoidable. Beyond that, there were still fatal missteps that could have significantly lowered death rates and time frame of this deal.

And you have posters vouching for you here that you're not being disingenuous.
Macarthur
powerbelly said:

Quote:

this thing was almost 99.99999% avoidable

If this was remotely true the whole world wouldn't have been impacted.

Fair point, I may have gotten wound up and over exagerated that, but I think the point still stands that this impact could have been significantly less if we had taken this thing seriously from the get go.

And that's not a pie in the sky thinking because there are examples of numerous countries that were pretty successful at dealing with this.
Macarthur
It never ceases to amaze me that the folks that screamed the loudest about us needing to get back to normal always seemed to be the same ones that were unwilling to take the reasonable and minimal steps to help slow the spread of this thing.
powerbelly
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Not really. Day to day covid restrictions have had far more impact on the average person.

AGC
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

You are right in that we are highly attuned to our tribe's priorities which are often biased by our personal attachment to the effect of the item discussed. 9/11 gave our liberty erosions a face to blame. Covid has no face to blame to a majority of people affected. if 9/11 wouldn't have had no visuals attached to it, we probably would have felt the same way about it as we do now.

Now, I will always be confused by the Christian response of "meh, oh well, people die. if they die faster, but who cares". Its one thing to disagree that the death rate is caused by our gathering. It's another thing to embrace it. Maybe simpler put: we should desire that no one die of it, but we can disagree on how we get there.

It is healthier to recognize that people die than to assume every life could have been saved. It is healthy to ask what it means to be human; it is not healthy to answer with isolation.

One can ask what God says about it but for those who acknowledge the sacramental nature of the Eucharist you will never get the answer the secular materialist or the Baptist/non-denominational protestant does. What are the repercussions of not baptizing new believers or taking Eucharist? Far worse than the risk of COVID.
AGC
AG
Macarthur said:

It never ceases to amaze me that the folks that screamed the loudest about us needing to get back to normal always seemed to be the same ones that were unwilling to take the reasonable and minimal steps to help slow the spread of this thing.

Isn't getting infected and developing antibodies reasonable and minimal? It's better than being injected and uninfected. And if we'd done it all up front we'd be in a different place right now, potentially with fewer sick from flurona and serious colds since we wouldn't have ducked pathogens for a year and a half. The histrionics have to stop.
Macarthur
AGC said:

Macarthur said:

Isn't getting infected and developing antibodies reasonable and minimal? It's better than being injected and uninfected. And if we'd done it all up front we'd be in a different place right now, potentially with fewer sick from flurona and serious colds since we wouldn't have ducked pathogens for a year and a half. The histrionics have to stop.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying. Are you saying we should have done nothing from the beginning and tried to reach heard immunity quickly and 'naturally'?
Aggrad08
AG
Macarthur said:

AGC said:

Macarthur said:

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying. Are you saying we should have done nothing from the beginning and tried to reach heard immunity quickly and 'naturally'?
Why stop at doing nothing, we could try the doorknob licking approach, maximize spread and immunity.

AGC
AG
Macarthur said:

AGC said:

Macarthur said:

There are two thoughts for you to contend with.

One: plenty of people have gotten sick and recovered, thus ides of COVID cries as a ploy for continued kabuki theater fall flat. Anyone who wants to be jabbed can be; supply is not an issue. That's one of the reasons we're comfortable getting back to normal; we've gotten the antibodies.

Two: we'd be in a different place is what I said. Maybe worse, maybe better, but different nonetheless. There's no re-running the model to say it would have gone one way or the other.
Macarthur
AGC said:

One: plenty of people have gotten sick and recovered, thus ides of COVID cries as a ploy for continued kabuki theater fall flat. Anyone who wants to be jabbed can be; supply is not an issue. That's one of the reasons we're comfortable getting back to normal; we've gotten the antibodies.

So I assume that since you used the term kabuki theater, you don't think Covid is a threat , at all, or you just think those of us that still favor some mitigation are doing this as a part of some act? I think that's pretty sad that so many seem to think that those that think that way are doing this for fun, or worse, that there's some sort of sinister plan to take away freedoms. I find that incredibly ironic given the previous parallels I pointed out with 9/11. So many had no issues giving up freedoms to stop 'terrorism'.

Quote:

Two: we'd be in a different place is what I said. Maybe worse, maybe better, but different nonetheless. There's no re-running the model to say it would have gone one way or the other.

Well, we most certainly would have more people dead. I guess that doesn't matter?
AGC
AG
Macarthur said:

AGC said:

So I assume that since you used the term kabuki theater, you don't think Covid is a threat , at all, or you just think those of us that still favor some mitigation are doing this as a part of some act? I think that's pretty sad that so many seem to think that those that think that way are doing this for fun, or worse, that there's some sort of sinister plan to take away freedoms. I find that incredibly ironic given the previous parallels I pointed out with 9/11. So many had no issues giving up freedoms to stop 'terrorism'.

Quote:

Well, we most certainly would have more people dead. I guess that doesn't matter?

Your assumption is wrong. Individuals can make their own decision regarding risk and do so all the time. This isn't a new development for the immunocompromised or elderly.

But again as a secular materialist you don't think the same way about church and the Eucharist as I do. You're making a completely different calculation. Plenty of at risk Christians partake for precisely the same reason: some things are more important.

As to your second point I applaud your clairvoyance. You say so but it'd sound foolish to conclude otherwise after your advocacy here.
Macarthur
AGC said:

Your assumption is wrong. Individuals can make their own decision regarding risk and do so all the time. This isn't a new development for the immunocompromised or elderly.

Fair enough, but you do acknowledge that Covid is a diff animal than anything else we've dealt with....

Quote:

But again as a secular materialist you don't think the same way about church and the Eucharist as I do. You're making a completely different calculation. Plenty of at risk Christians partake for precisely the same reason: some things are more important.

True.

Quote:

As to your second point I applaud your clairvoyance. You say so but it'd sound foolish to conclude otherwise after your advocacy here.

Yeah, it would make perfect sense to conclude we would have fewer deaths had we done nothing.

I'm curious what you think would have happened had we done no mitigation measures and allowed life to continue as it was.
AGC
AG
Macarthur said:

AGC said:

Fair enough, but you do acknowledge that Covid is a diff animal than anything else we've dealt with....

Quote:

True.

Quote:

Yeah, it would make perfect sense to conclude we would have fewer deaths had we done nothing.

I'm curious what you think would have happened had we done no mitigation measures and allowed life to continue as it was.

Maybe for your first question but mainly because of my answer to your last: we don't get to re-run the model and all we can do is argue with conjecture. Of which I find no fruit.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Macarthur said:

Quite a straw man, and the a veiled assault on my character as well.

There is a little something called "Risk Analysis".
Macarthur
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Macarthur said:

Quite a straw man, and the a veiled assault on my character as well.

There is a little something called "Risk Analysis".
I apologize if this was an attack on your character. It was meant to be a little snarky but not meant as an attack.

Having said that, your comment was about the 1% that have died are either old or obese or infimed. I still think you should have to elaborate on why that matters. Does an old person not deserve to live another 5 years? 10? I know the answer is, yes, but the implication is that they only deserve to, up to a point, that everyone else is inconvienienced. So, I'm curious how we get to that point...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.